Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning Guardians! I’m setting here with a cup of coffee enjoying the rain. :rolleyes: I’ve got a 2019 Ironwood Guardians SFO keeping me company. :)

49496646442_480efa62b4_o_d.jpg

I believe you’re right.
View attachment 1278373

Thanks for the pic Harvey, I thought that might be the case ;) Hale Brothers were first listed in 1883, the brothers being John Thomas Hale (1853-1919) and Samuel Stafford Hale (1853-1919). In the late 19th century, they moved from their original premises on Allen Street to Snow Lane, where the factory still stands today. Both the premises and Hale Brothers name were acquired by Kutrite in 1969.

Whjhppb.jpg

Thank you Jack :)
I should not complain too much as this winter has been much better than the last one overall :thumbsup:. We have been able to go outdoors on a regular basis :thumbsup:.
And bringing my lambsfoot along for pics helps the motivation :)

Gracias GT :)
I got into Nordic Skating a few years ago ( long blades that clip onto xc ski boots).
I used to go to Ottawa, to the Rideau Canal which the city claims is the largest skating rink in the world.
https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places/rideau-canal-skateway
On a couple of occasions I did a 30 km skate ... but I was younger then :cool:

Now, this Swedish mathematician takes Nordic skating to a whole different level :eek:

Today we went again to skate through the forest, ahead of the snow that's coming for the next two days. The ice was perfect :thumbsup:
I was able to improve my time by two minutes .... yeah :cool: .... oh and I did not do any acrobatics today :D

y24WVbL.jpg

OZz047H.jpg

lJS9NMv.jpg

The weather there looks beautiful Dan, and those are wonderful photos :) Congratulations on the improved time :thumbsup: Many of the old Sheffield cutlery firms used to make ice-skates :thumbsup:

n3dZuDW.jpg

XFJ4Xd7.jpg

From Marples 1903 catalogue, which also contains a couple of Lambsfoot knives ;)

iv6CDHI.jpg

Jack, your stag HHB SFO is like an unchained melody! ;):cool::cool:

Thanks for the "fly" etymology, Jack; I'd never have guessed that connotation of the word was so old! :)
I enjoyed your thoughts on stag (in this and a subsequent post); your Dam Sam Lamb is an exquisite piece! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

What a quality quartet, Jack!!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! :D A lot of slang and 'cant' words are very old indeed, something I have taken a lot of pleasure learning about :) Thanks for the kind words my friend, I'm afraid that fantastic foursome aren't mine, though I do have one in Ironwood, along with my Sambar example :) :thumbsup:

Oops! I forgot to post a pic of Cracker Jack, and to mention that I had to look on page 2 to find the Guardians thread!!
View attachment 1278630
View attachment 1278631

- GT

Great to see Cracker Jack Gary, and thanks for resurrecting the thread! :eek: :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians - well actually afternoon here in Yorkshire - I'm just back from the market, as I came home to pick up a pewter tankard I've got for my pal on the tool-stall to give to a longstanding friend of his, who is a keen dart's player, as well as an an avid drinker. I'll be heading back down there shortly :) Hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:

bi68nXL.jpg

Qisg9RG.jpg

Good morning Guardians! I’m setting here with a cup of coffee enjoying the rain. :rolleyes: I’ve got a 2019 Ironwood Guardians SFO keeping me company. :)

49496646442_480efa62b4_o_d.jpg

That's a great pic of your '19 Dylan, I love the Ironwood on that one, one of the nicest I think :) Have you been oiling it? :thumbsup:

Edit 'Dylan'?! :eek: :D Sorry fellers ;) :D :thumbsup:

Pile side of today's carry.

DSC-3101.jpg

Looking good my friend :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Simple, but sublime, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thank you, GT. :)

I had to look on page 2 to find the Guardians thread!!
That's not good... Thanks for the save, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Great picture of your Cracker Jack. I love the honest patina line. :cool::thumbsup:

Your Ironwood is looking classy, Ron. :cool::thumbsup:

The classics are the best! Great fence picture. :cool::thumbsup:

Very cool tankard, Jack. Glad you're having a good day, my friend. :cool::thumbsup:

Not mine Harvey :) Ron's is in there though :thumbsup: Great to see another one of your old beauties my friend :)

Just having a few glasses of Talisker tonight ;) Thursday tomorrow, so I'll be out early and headed down to the market as per usual. Hoping to catch up later in the day. Have a good one Guardians :thumbsup:

rRgn7Gj.jpg
And another great dram it is. An easy-drinking scotch to be sure. Another favorite of mine.

That's a great pic of your '19 Dylan, I love the Ironwood on that one, one of the nicest I think :) Have you been oiling it? :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. It does have beautiful Ironwood. I always use a microfiber cloth on my knives. I have never put any oil directly on the wood although it’s possible that some gets on it when I oil the metal. I think it’s more shiny because of the light and the fact that it’s an indoor photo. :thumbsup: :)

Your Ironwood is looking classy, Ron. :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you John! :)

I thought a few folks might be interested to see this knife I found in a late 50's Christopher Johnson catalogue, as it relates to several discussions we have had here in the past.

6v5Z68S.jpg

The catalogue contains images of several nice-looking Lambsfoot knives, but this is a little different, though, like the Lambsfoot it has a spine and blade which are not parallel.

It's is similar to the blade on this 1907 'Emigrant's Knife', which I've posted here before.

uZwHaJj.jpg

But also, and far more famously, it resembles the blade on early Barlow knives shown in Smith's Key of 1816...

BlKidQd.jpg

...the inspiration for Charlie @waynorth 's first Ancient Barlows :cool:

1Y48iIj.jpg

There is also a similarity to another knife we've discussed here before, the Taylor-Schrade Landshark.

XRuY0h3.jpg

Very cool tankard, Jack. Glad you're having a good day, my friend. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks John, it had a good weight to it, I think the feller, who I met briefly at my pal's wedding, will be pleased with the unexpected gift :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Last night I shined up the blade and touched up the edge on my WCLF.

Looking swell John :) How is the etch? :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. It does have beautiful Ironwood. I always use a microfiber cloth on my knives. I have never put any oil directly on the wood although it’s possible that some gets on it when I oil the metal. I think it’s more shiny because of the light and the fact that it’s an indoor photo. :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for the info Ron, I don't really do much at all with mine, never sure if I should or not :confused: ;) :thumbsup:

Good evening, folks.

Haven't spent much time on the forums lately so I thought I would stop in and get caught up some.

@Modoc ED, best wishes to you and your family. I am hoping for a successful operation and a full and speedy recovery. (My apologies for the late well-wishes, haven't been around much)

It is nice to see Linus made it to the next recipient (@Wild Ben ), I look forward to seeing more of your adventures/relaxation. Many thanks to @E40 for being a great host.

I'm afraid with my overall busyness, I haven't really had knives on the brain for the last few weeks but I always have one or two in my pockets and more than a few cluttering my desk. This AC has been a good companion, as always.

8iQgAcG.jpg

Back