Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice Black Friday choice John :) :thumbsup:
Thank you, Jack. :)

Ever since I got my first Lambsfoot from Jack (which I still LOVE) I’ve wanted something in stainless.

I got this one from Rodgers. I love the Barlow look. And the horn for covers. But I’m kind of unsure how i feel about it overall. The kind of “not fully open” look it has when full open seems off to me. Any opinions?

W1GaPAS.jpg

OXk9FoZ.jpg

Joe
I like a blade that is slighly canted downwards, but that is a little much in my opinion. :(

Jack Black Jack Black - Here’s to your day being as enjoyable as you imagine, Jack. And here’s to the day when those triple fluted bolsters on an SFO becomes a reality. Cheers!

@Ramrodmb Double Lamb Foot Day.:D
View attachment 1279260
ooohhhhh... A Shadow Lamb... :D

As they should be!!! ;):thumbsup:

Sounds like you've been busy Dylan, thanks for stopping by :) I hope things ease up a bit soon my friend :thumbsup:

Good to see you Dylan! :) A great photo of your beautiful Ashley's Choice! :thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, fellas!

Good morning Guardians! :) I'm carrying some Ebony for Black Friday. Hope y'all have a great day! :thumbsup: :)

33442664558_24458e4ec4_b.jpg

I've long admired that Ebony, Ron, simply exquisite!

Totin' a bit of Ebony myself today - I'm rather pleased it's Friday.

p1Vdlkt.jpg

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1277144

View attachment 1277746

Two great photos of those two great knives. I especially like the Sheldon.

Auspicious photo of your stag HHB, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thanks GT. :thumbsup:

Time for some birdin' in the morning after the feeding. Suppose to get about 5" of snow tomorrow, they'll need it.
y0U2g0I.jpg

Great shot of your HHB there. And an interesting looking watch to.

Today came from England, this old Lambsfoot with the CK brand, engraved on the blade "REAL LAMB FOOT" and ram’s horn scales.:D:thumbsup:

Nice catch Jose. Looks an interesting old knife in good condition. :thumbsup:

Oops! I forgot to post a pic of Cracker Jack, and to mention that I had to look on page 2 to find the Guardians thread!!
View attachment 1278630
View attachment 1278631

- GT

Another nice sunny shot of Cracker Jack there. I'm beginning to think it's never cloudy where you live. :)

TY Gary :)

Gracias Jack !
Amazing to see the skates on the old catalog along with the lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:
The pics prompted me to search online and read about the history of skating.
Fascinating to learn about "Fen skating" in the Fenland of England :thumbsup:

I also noticed the fluted bolster on the bottom knife has what looks like 3 big grooves in it.
Perhaps it's a common feature but it caught my attention as I had not seen a bolster like it :thumbsup:

Couple more pics from yesterday

Gcl5EMa.jpg

kGB7iM6.jpg

Enjoying your snowy exploits Dan. I've got to say though I doubt there's been much Fenland skating this year. The whole of England has had a pretty mild winter.

More "Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambfoot "View attachment 1279020 Linus and I swung by the birthplace of the poet Carl Sandburg today in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg's most famous son (1878 - 1967).The house is little more than a frame cabin - it's so small!View attachment 1279004 Carl's ashes are buried in the back yard by the rock ("remembrance rock") next to the small evergreen tree. Left of and behind the privy!View attachment 1279005 Galesburg is my wife's hometown and we lived there together for many years until we moved out to the country. We both still work in town. And I'm pretty sure Carl would've really appreciated a good Lambfoot like Linus!

Thanks for posting that. That looks the perfect place to compose poetry.:)

When I retire, I want a little house just like that. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm no where near retirement and I'd love a little house like that right now. :):thumbsup:

Well good afternoon Guardians. It's been a busy week for me but I did manage to get out on a walk on Wednesday.
gtmHH7j.jpg

Bridestones. West Yorkshire.
JNWo6Qa.jpg

5WEIWP8.jpg

Thanks for the pic Harvey, I thought that might be the case ;) Hale Brothers were first listed in 1883, the brothers being John Thomas Hale (1853-1919) and Samuel Stafford Hale (1853-1919). In the late 19th century, they moved from their original premises on Allen Street to Snow Lane, where the factory still stands today. Both the premises and Hale Brothers name were acquired by Kutrite in 1969.

Whjhppb.jpg

The weather there looks beautiful Dan, and those are wonderful photos :) Congratulations on the improved time :thumbsup: Many of the old Sheffield cutlery firms used to make ice-skates :thumbsup:

n3dZuDW.jpg

XFJ4Xd7.jpg

From Marples 1903 catalogue, which also contains a couple of Lambsfoot knives ;)

iv6CDHI.jpg

Thanks Gary! :D A lot of slang and 'cant' words are very old indeed, something I have taken a lot of pleasure learning about :) Thanks for the kind words my friend, I'm afraid that fantastic foursome aren't mine, though I do have one in Ironwood, along with my Sambar example :) :thumbsup:

Great to see Cracker Jack Gary, and thanks for resurrecting the thread! :eek: :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians - well actually afternoon here in Yorkshire - I'm just back from the market, as I came home to pick up a pewter tankard I've got for my pal on the tool-stall to give to a longstanding friend of his, who is a keen dart's player, as well as an an avid drinker. I'll be heading back down there shortly :) Hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:

bi68nXL.jpg

Qisg9RG.jpg
what a great tankard...and so much character too

Very nice my friend! :thumbsup: :cool:
Thanks, Ron. :)

Good morning Guardians! I’m setting here with a cup of coffee enjoying the rain. :rolleyes: I’ve got a 2019 Ironwood Guardians SFO keeping me company. :)

49496646442_480efa62b4_o_d.jpg
Great grain and rich color on that 2019 Guardians ironwood, Ron!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The weather there looks beautiful Dan, and those are wonderful photos :) Congratulations on the improved time :thumbsup: Many of the old Sheffield cutlery firms used to make ice-skates :thumbsup:

n3dZuDW.jpg

XFJ4Xd7.jpg

From Marples 1903 catalogue, which also contains a couple of Lambsfoot knives ;)

iv6CDHI.jpg

Thanks Gary! :D A lot of slang and 'cant' words are very old indeed, something I have taken a lot of pleasure learning about :) Thanks for the kind words my friend, I'm afraid that fantastic foursome aren't mine, though I do have one in Ironwood, along with my Sambar example :) :thumbsup:

Great to see Cracker Jack Gary, and thanks for resurrecting the thread! :eek: :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the excerpts from the old catalog, Jack; I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that cutlers would make skate blades among all the other types of blades they crafted. :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for your encouraging words, too! :)

That's not good... Thanks for the save, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Great picture of your Cracker Jack. I love the honest patina line. :cool::thumbsup:
John, this thread doesn't often leave the first page, but I remember you needing to bring it back a while ago, so I said, "I want to be like John." ;)
I appreciate your supportive Cracker Jack remarks. :)

Good Morning Guardians
Last night I shined up the blade and touched up the edge on my WCLF.
What a Black Beauty! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I thought a few folks might be interested to see this knife I found in a late 50's Christopher Johnson catalogue, as it relates to several discussions we have had here in the past.

6v5Z68S.jpg

The catalogue contains images of several nice-looking Lambsfoot knives, but this is a little different, though, like the Lambsfoot it has a spine and blade which are not parallel.

It's is similar to the blade on this 1907 'Emigrant's Knife', which I've posted here before.

uZwHaJj.jpg

But also, and far more famously, it resembles the blade on early Barlow knives shown in Smith's Key of 1816...

BlKidQd.jpg

...the inspiration for Charlie @waynorth 's first Ancient Barlows :cool:

1Y48iIj.jpg

There is also a similarity to another knife we've discussed here before, the Taylor-Schrade Landshark.

XRuY0h3.jpg
Thanks for the intriguing post pointing out all these connections, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I wonder if I should move my "LambShark" back into my lambsfoot of the week category instead of having it buried among the Miscellaneous masses. :rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you, GT. That was very kind of you to say that. Your Cracker Jack AC has beautiful Stag.

View attachment 1278780

B95DD14A-2779-46BA-A439-830DEFAA9296_zpsjtizbluk.jpeg
Thanks for the good word, Harvey. :)
I really like your synthetic-handled Joseph Rodgers lambsfoot, but I like that photo of the "snow shadow" of your shadow pattern even better!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:;) (I'm assuming those are snow crystals in your shots.)

Welcome back, Dylan; your flaming AC is an eye-catching way to make a "grand return"! ;):cool::thumbsup::cool:

More "Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambfoot "View attachment 1279020 Linus and I swung by the birthplace of the poet Carl Sandburg today in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg's most famous son (1878 - 1967).The house is little more than a frame cabin - it's so small!View attachment 1279004 Carl's ashes are buried in the back yard by the rock ("remembrance rock") next to the small evergreen tree. Left of and behind the privy!View attachment 1279005 Galesburg is my wife's hometown and we lived there together for many years until we moved out to the country. We both still work in town. And I'm pretty sure Carl would've really appreciated a good Lambfoot like Linus!
Thanks for the interesting update on Linus's visit! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is Knox College in Galesburg, IL? I had a grad school friend/softball teammate who'd graduated from Knox College.

My carry again.

DSC-3102.jpg
Really like the patina on that knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) I'm carrying some Ebony for Black Friday. Hope y'all have a great day! :thumbsup: :)

33442664558_24458e4ec4_b.jpg
Exemplary ebony, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

It was snowing here Tuesday night and still was this morning. I'll get my exercise again today from clearing snow.
8x4lHZd.jpg
I think that's an excellent photo, Jer, that shows off the charms of both your horn and ironwood lambsfoots!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Another nice sunny shot of Cracker Jack there. I'm beginning to think it's never cloudy where you live. :)
Well good afternoon Guardians. It's been a busy week for me but I did manage to get out on a walk on Wednesday.
gtmHH7j.jpg

Bridestones. West Yorkshire.
JNWo6Qa.jpg

5WEIWP8.jpg
Thanks, David. :) I almost never post a current photo of any of my knives. I take photos when the weather is nice, and then it may take me a week to get a shot from camera, to computer, through some cropping and other processing, and into my file of "portable" knife pics. Then I'll use my favorite shots over and over. :rolleyes:

The pics from your walk are top-notch! You can see for miles!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Cracker Jack is with me all week:
CJ.pile.boxonside.jpg

- GT

Thanks, David. :) I almost never post a current photo of any of my knives. I take photos when the weather is nice, and then it may take me a week to get a shot from camera, to computer, through some cropping and other processing, and into my file of "portable" knife pics. Then I'll use my favorite shots over and over. :rolleyes:

- GT

Sounds like a good plan. I should use more pictures I have on Imgur I've never posted instead of taking a new pic everytime I post. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the interesting update on Linus's visit! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is Knox College in Galesburg, IL? I had a grad school friend/softball teammate who'd graduated from Knox College.
Yes sir, Knox College is indeed in Galesburg; Linus and I may have to pay it a visit in the next couple of days!

Like most Lambfoot knives, the Extraordinary Linus works great as a carpenters marking knife, and of course...IMG_1936.JPG opening packages is child's play for him!IMG_1932.JPG Linus has been riding in my back pocket and faithfully handling all such chores for me this week as the perfect companion that he is!

Back