Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks for the info about Nordic skating, Dan; that video of the guy on thin black ice was amazing! :eek:;) Enjoyable photo of your family framed by the lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

TY Gary :)
The weather there looks beautiful Dan, and those are wonderful photos :) Congratulations on the improved time :thumbsup: Many of the old Sheffield cutlery firms used to make ice-skates :thumbsup:

n3dZuDW.jpg

XFJ4Xd7.jpg

From Marples 1903 catalogue, which also contains a couple of Lambsfoot knives ;)

iv6CDHI.jpg
Gracias Jack !
Amazing to see the skates on the old catalog along with the lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:
The pics prompted me to search online and read about the history of skating.
Fascinating to learn about "Fen skating" in the Fenland of England :thumbsup:

I also noticed the fluted bolster on the bottom knife has what looks like 3 big grooves in it.
Perhaps it's a common feature but it caught my attention as I had not seen a bolster like it :thumbsup:

Couple more pics from yesterday

Gcl5EMa.jpg

kGB7iM6.jpg

Last edited:
More "Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambfoot "IMG_1919.JPG Linus and I swung by the birthplace of the poet Carl Sandburg today in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg's most famous son (1878 - 1967).The house is little more than a frame cabin - it's so small!IMG_1917.JPG Carl's ashes are buried in the back yard by the rock ("remembrance rock") next to the small evergreen tree. Left of and behind the privy!IMG_1918.JPG Galesburg is my wife's hometown and we lived there together for many years until we moved out to the country. We both still work in town. And I'm pretty sure Carl would've really appreciated a good Lambfoot like Linus!

Last edited:
Good evening, folks.

Haven't spent much time on the forums lately so I thought I would stop in and get caught up some.

@Modoc ED, best wishes to you and your family. I am hoping for a successful operation and a full and speedy recovery. (My apologies for the late well-wishes, haven't been around much)

It is nice to see Linus made it to the next recipient ( Wild Ben Wild Ben ), I look forward to seeing more of your adventures/relaxation. Many thanks to @E40 for being a great host.

I'm afraid with my overall busyness, I haven't really had knives on the brain for the last few weeks but I always have one or two in my pockets and more than a few cluttering my desk. This AC has been a good companion, as always.

8iQgAcG.jpg

Sounds like you've been busy Dylan, thanks for stopping by :) I hope things ease up a bit soon my friend :thumbsup:

Gracias Jack !
Amazing to see the skates on the old catalog along with the lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:
The pics prompted me to search online and read about the history of skating.
Fascinating to learn about "Fen skating" in the Fenland of England :thumbsup:

I also noticed the fluted bolster on the bottom knife has what looks like 3 big grooves in it.
Perhaps it's a common feature but it caught my attention as I had not seen a bolster like it :thumbsup:

Couple more pics from yesterday

Gcl5EMa.jpg

kGB7iM6.jpg

Glad you found them of interest Dan, that's a great film, looks like a lot of fun :cool: As I understand it, in Victorian times, the River Thames in London would freeze over regularly in the winter (it doesn't today). I think I can only remember seeing people skating on a frozen pond once here, and I was only a kid. Harvey has a few Lambsfoot knives with those Triple-Fluted or Triple Rat-tail bolsters. I always wanted to get a Guardians knife made up like that, but the cutlers really didn't want to do it. I think I'd have had to go and had the bolsters made up somewhere else, and deliver them to the factory, to get them done o_O Here's one of the dies which was once used for stamping the bolsters out in Sheffield. Wonderful photos, as always, Dan :thumbsup:

tUB99gt.jpg

More "Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambfoot "View attachment 1279020 Linus and I swung by the birthplace of the poet Carl Sandburg today in Galesburg, Illinois. Galesburg's most famous son (1878 - 1967).The house is little more than a frame cabin - it's so small!View attachment 1279004 Carl's ashes are buried in the back yard by the rock ("remembrance rock") next to the small evergreen tree. Left of and behind the privy!View attachment 1279005 Galesburg is my wife's hometown and we lived there together for many years until we moved out to the country. We both still work in town. And I'm pretty sure Carl would've really appreciated a good Lambfoot like Linus!

Fascinating post Ben :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, another week is drawing to an end, hope everyone has had a good one, with a fantastic weekend ahead. A pal of mine, who works peculiar shifts, has had the week off work, and we've arranged to meet up for lunch, a pint or two, and a trip to the cinema to see the new Birds of Prey film, which launches here today (we're booked in for the first showing). Should be a great day :) :thumbsup:

HnZ0huf.jpg

Good Friday morning folks! Hope it's a good one for all.
Enjoy your day at the cinema, Jack!:thumbsup:

Big day at work ahead for me today; installing an 8' wide Entry door system that took 9 weeks to come in! When I ordered they said 2 weeks.:rolleyes: Weighs close to 400 pounds so it should be a challenge with just my oldest son and I to deliver and install, as well as, remove the old one. It better be the right size.;)
My 2019 Ironwood sfo will be along to help. Here it is posing with an "Opal" apple that I'm saving until tonight to try with my wife. A newer breed that neither of us has tried before. Apparently one of the first certified non-gmo US apple variety.:rolleyes: It's a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz. I'll report back on how it tastes, though it sure is pretty.;)

fzyNteU.jpg

Good evening, folks.

Haven't spent much time on the forums lately so I thought I would stop in and get caught up some.

@Modoc ED, best wishes to you and your family. I am hoping for a successful operation and a full and speedy recovery. (My apologies for the late well-wishes, haven't been around much)

It is nice to see Linus made it to the next recipient ( Wild Ben Wild Ben ), I look forward to seeing more of your adventures/relaxation. Many thanks to @E40 for being a great host.

I'm afraid with my overall busyness, I haven't really had knives on the brain for the last few weeks but I always have one or two in my pockets and more than a few cluttering my desk. This AC has been a good companion, as always.

8iQgAcG.jpg
Good to see you Dylan! :) A great photo of your beautiful Ashley's Choice! :thumbsup::cool:

When I retire, I want a little house just like that. :cool::thumbsup:
Indoor plumbing might be nice, though.
The local school is closed today due to the flu! It's presently snowing, so the non-sickly ones will probably get to play in it.
It was snowing here Tuesday night and still was this morning. I'll get my exercise again today from clearing snow.
8x4lHZd.jpg

Last edited:
Good Friday morning folks! Hope it's a good one for all.
Enjoy your day at the cinema, Jack!:thumbsup:

Big day at work ahead for me today; installing an 8' wide Entry door system that took 9 weeks to come in! When I ordered they said 2 weeks.:rolleyes: Weighs close to 400 pounds so it should be a challenge with just my oldest son and I to deliver and install, as well as, remove the old one. It better be the right size.;)
My 2019 Ironwood sfo will be along to help. Here it is posing with an "Opal" apple that I'm saving until tonight to try with my wife. A newer breed that neither of us has tried before. Apparently one of the first certified non-gmo US apple variety.:rolleyes: It's a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz. I'll report back on how it tastes, though it sure is pretty.;)

fzyNteU.jpg

Thanks Mark, early evening here now, but I had a great day, and enjoyed the film :) Hope you get through the day my friend, and be sure to let us know about that apple :) :thumbsup:

When I retire, I want a little house just like that. :cool::thumbsup:

That's an interesting picture, Jack. I did not know they were stamped out like that. I always thought the rat tails were put in afterwards. :cool::thumbsup:

Yeah, me too! :D Thanks John, the Guardians bolsters were all done, individually by hand, but in the 'olden days', the bolsters were stamped out beforehand :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Nice Black Friday choice John :) :thumbsup:

Good morning/afternoon Guardians. The local school is closed today due to the flu! It's presently snowing, so the non-sickly ones will probably get to play in it.

My carry again.

DSC-3102.jpg

Have a good day buddy :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) I'm carrying some Ebony for Black Friday. Hope y'all have a great day! :thumbsup: :)

33442664558_24458e4ec4_b.jpg

Very nice indeed Ron :) :thumbsup:

It was snowing here Tuesday night and still was this morning. I'll get my exercise again today from clearing snow.
8x4lHZd.jpg

Not to be underestimated my friend :) :thumbsup:

Ever since I got my first Lambsfoot from Jack (which I still LOVE) I’ve wanted something in stainless.

I got this one from Rodgers. I love the Barlow look. And the horn for covers. But I’m kind of unsure how i feel about it overall. The kind of “not fully open” look it has when full open seems off to me. Any opinions?

W1GaPAS.jpg

OXk9FoZ.jpg

Joe

Ever since I got my first Lambsfoot from Jack (which I still LOVE) I’ve wanted something in stainless.

I got this one from Rodgers. I love the Barlow look. And the horn for covers. But I’m kind of unsure how i feel about it overall. The kind of “not fully open” look it has when full open seems off to me. Any opinions?

W1GaPAS.jpg

OXk9FoZ.jpg

Joe

I know what you mean Joe, that cant is a bit over the top :( Joseph Rodgers, as I'm sure you know, were once one of the world's foremost cutlery firms, but they were finished by the early 80's, and their name, along with a few other prestigious Sheffield Cutlery names, were bought up by the firm who still own them today. I bought one of these knives, at a decent price, a few years ago, but the quality was rather poor. I don't think I'd buy another. Is there an easy way to return it?

Jack Black Jack Black - Here’s to your day being as enjoyable as you imagine, Jack. And here’s to the day when those triple fluted bolsters on an SFO becomes a reality. Cheers!

Good Afternoon Guardians.

Double Lamb Foot Day.:D
View attachment 1279260

Thanks pal :) Cool pic :D :Cool: :thumbsup:

I had Thai for lunch, but spotted this outside the pizza restaurant next door :D ;) :thumbsup:

MZ60kN8.jpg

My snow thrower is all Fluid Filmed-up and ready! :D

I'm still trying to use up the canola spray. And I used the shovel today.

W1GaPAS.jpg

OXk9FoZ.jpg

Joe

Too bad. It looks nice closed.
I couldn't live with that.
It does seem to be getting hard to find a good one.
KHQLFeK.jpg

Last edited:
Back