Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

It would take my dog about a week. :D

LOL! Your lawn must be a sight to behold. :D

donn donn - Thank you David. Parys Mountain Copper Mine is a fascinating look at History.

Good afternoon Guardians. (Sorry for the repeat image).
View attachment 1288941

Thanks Harvey. I hope the donuts keep repeating themselves. :D:thumbsup:

Nice pics David :) Thanks :) Aside from the stuff at the Merchant Adventurers' Hall, there didn't seem to be anything else on at all, but it was pretty good there, lots of stalls, a really nice atmosphere, a beautiful building, the only downside was the two surly middle-aged attendants who spent the day growling at everyone :mad: Hard to imagine an easier job, they weren't actually 'security guards', and basically had nothing to do, but get paid to stand around, and they couldn't even be polite to the visitors, miserable pair of %&$@£#*! :mad: I really hope they both get sacked :thumbsdown:

I think the King's Arms has been closed at least a year now David. Sam Smith's pub, so they probably can't find anyone to run it o_O I hope it opens again soon :thumbsup:

Aye. Give a Brit' a hi-viz coat, a walkie talkie and a sliver of authority and they start behaving like a load of psychotic Brownshirts. We never used to behave like that but we do now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So Sam Smith's still hadn't reopened the Kings Arms anyway? And the York Arms by the Minster is still shut I believe. It's a funny way of running a brewery that's for sure.

View attachment 1289117
The lambsfoot on the left came to me in a box from @mitch4ging in the latest edition of @mrknife's giveaway. They took the time to sniff each other, beautiful horn handle scales... Hard for me to send him on his way but I'm already a guardian (the rosewood handled knife on the right is my resident lambsfoot). Hopefully someone who isn't already will enter and perhaps give him a good home... Darned fine example if you ask me. I had a hard time packing it back up, but the way it sits I probably won't carry it. I decided to come here to hopefully find a good home for it... Nail nick is set up for a southpaw.

Handsome looking knife, the covers look flawless.

Very interesting, David!
I grew up in a copper mining town, in SW New Mexico. The mine is Santa Rita. My great great grandfather was a miner in Cornwall, migrated to New Mexico in the 1860s. My father was born in the town in the photo, which is now part of the open pit. Thanks for the photos and history!:):thumbsup:
View attachment 1289248 View attachment 1289249

Sweet!!:cool::thumbsup:

My Horn Lamb.
DNhNyq9.jpg

Crikey! Now that's a hole! :eek: The sort of thing a Cornish man would dig if given the space to do so. :) That's interesting I'll look that up on Google Earth, it must be easily visible. And it's great you've got your family history about the place there.:thumbsup:
There always nice horn covers you show there. Very translucent. :thumbsup:

As I'm not doing anything today I'm posting an old picture I've never used before. Flint Castle in Wales from a couple of summers ago. Which right now feels like the last time I actually saw the sun. :rolleyes:
XHGVGWy.jpg

Hope everyone has a happy Sunday! :thumbsup:

Someone needs to market leather phone-cases with runes on them or something! :rolleyes:

PvgSM91.jpg
They'd probably sell very well.
I guess these Vikings are dressing up rather than reenacting. And why not.

I'm surprised your police don't insist on rubber spearheads, though.
When I was a kid, there were mock Amerindian toy spears with rubber heads with their points curved sideways.
These aren't those.
DuxUhr4.jpg

Last edited:
Aye. Give a Brit' a hi-viz coat, a walkie talkie and a sliver of authority and they start behaving like a load of psychotic Brownshirts. We never used to behave like that but we do now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So Sam Smith's still hadn't reopened the Kings Arms anyway? And the York Arms by the Minster is still shut I believe. It's a funny way of running a brewery that's for sure.

Handsome looking knife, the covers look flawless.

Crikey! Now that's a hole! :eek: The sort of thing a Cornish man would dig if given the space to do so. :) That's interesting I'll look that up on Google Earth, it must be easily visible. And it's great you've got your family history about the place there.:thumbsup:
There always nice horn covers you show there. Very translucent. :thumbsup:

As I'm not doing anything today I'm posting an old picture I've never used before. Flint Castle in Wales from a couple of summers ago. Which right now feels like the last time I actually saw the sun. :rolleyes:
XHGVGWy.jpg

Hope everyone has a happy Sunday! :thumbsup:

Definitely mate, but these blokes weren't even the rent-a-cop security guard types, they were like those old Council employees, who got shunted off to snore away in the corner of a museum a few years before they were due to retire. They probably resented a load of people turning up and keeping them awake. Hardly good ambassadors for the Merchant Adventurers Hall or York in general. Been a while since I came across anyone so needlessly officious o_O

I enjoyed the Cornish miners in Deadwood, relentless diggers, irrepressibly militant, and totally unintelligible to anyone else! :D :thumbsup:

That's a fantastic picture of Flint Castle David :) :thumbsup:

They'd probably sell very well.
I guess these Vikings are dressing up rather than reenacting. And why not.

I'm surprised your police don't insist on rubber spearheads, though.
When I was a kid, there were mock Amerindian toy spears with rubber heads with their points curved sideways.
These aren't those.
DuxUhr4.jpg

Yes, it's clear that most don't take it that seriously, and are inspired more by TV and film rather than by history, but good luck to them, I guess it's all harmless fun :)

Strangely, despite the Draconian laws relating to anything pointy here over the past few decades, I don't recall seeing any form of police presence at the festival. People walk around with swords, knives, axes, spears, sometimes while drinking, weapons are on display, freely handled and sold, and I don't think there's ever been the slightest whiff of trouble. There's even a big 'fight' at the end, but all in friendly fashion :)

If you can put up with the two puddings presenting it, you might find this of interest (lots more videos online). It's from a few years back (I posted pics at the time) :thumbsup:

Continuing-
THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF LINUS THE LAMBSFOOT

Let me apologize in advance for the load of pics to follow, but Dylan ( @Pàdruig ) did ask for lots of photos. ;)

Linus arrived safely in Nebraska Friday evening, carefully packed and with a nice handwritten note from his last host @Wild Ben. Thanks Ben, I enjoyed your posts with Linus very much!

My family and I decided to take Linus for a small hike (around 3 miles) Saturday, being the first nice day in weeks and wanting to show him around a bit. We opted for Hitchcock Nature Center (<click for info) in nearby Crescent, IA, in the beautiful Loess Hills, (< click for info) where we had a great day getting out in the sunshine.

E46rfV7.jpg

We started on the handicapped accessible boardwalk, near the center right of the map, and headed Northwest towards the lake.

iJrJTyr.jpg

There is close to a half mile of boardwalk before we hit the trail.

FS7fbrF.jpg

Looking West towards home. This view is much more beautiful, in the Fall, when the leaves are turning color.

iOW0CVI.jpg

My youngest son with Linus taking a break on a nice Cedar bench along the boardwalk.

VA4BbA7.jpg

Linus basking in the sun.

gRd5O09.jpg

Made it to the lake, still frozen over as evidence to the cold weather we've had for months!

a47YqLT.jpg

We stopped near this burned out stump for a snack and a drink of water for the dog, Daisy.

FkN0wNp.jpg

zb1KnFz.jpg

Linus hanging out with my "Ironwood Guardians 2019"

sXRpRMf.jpg

A view from the top looking North. Clear skies and a beautiful 63 degrees F.

2WHhZp0.jpg

The Northern boundary of the park, then we circled around to the East and back towards the car. My phone said approx 8000 steps and 34 flights of "stairs" climbed.
We had a blast and felt great getting out in the sunshine!
Hope you enjoyed coming along!;)

Continuing-

Let me apologize in advance for the load of pics to follow, but Dylan ( @Pàdruig ) did ask for lots of photos. ;)

Linus arrived safely in Nebraska Friday evening, carefully packed and with a nice handwritten note from his last host @Wild Ben. Thanks Ben, I enjoyed your posts with Linus very much!

My family and I decided to take Linus for a small hike (around 3 miles) Saturday, being the first nice day in weeks and wanting to show him around a bit. We opted for Hitchcock Nature Center (<click for info) in nearby Crescent, IA, in the beautiful Loess Hills, (< click for info) where we had a great day getting out in the sunshine.

E46rfV7.jpg

We started on the handicapped accessible boardwalk, near the center right of the map, and headed Northwest towards the lake.

iJrJTyr.jpg

FS7fbrF.jpg

Looking West towards home. This view is much more beautiful, in the Fall, when the leaves are turning color.

iOW0CVI.jpg

My youngest son with Linus taking a break on a nice Cedar bench along the boardwalk.

VA4BbA7.jpg

gRd5O09.jpg

Made it to the lake, still frozen over as evidence to the cold weather we've had for months!

a47YqLT.jpg

We stopped near this burned out stump for a snack and a drink of water for the dog, Daisy.

FkN0wNp.jpg

zb1KnFz.jpg

sXRpRMf.jpg

2WHhZp0.jpg

The Northern boundary of the park, then we circled around to the East and back towards the car. My phone said approx 8000 steps and 34 flights of "stairs" climbed.

What a Sunday treat Mark :) Fantastic photos, and that looks like a lovely walk :cool: I have a daughter called Daisy! :D ;) :thumbsup:

It looks like Linus is going to have a great time there with you :thumbsup:

Continuing-

E46rfV7.jpg

iJrJTyr.jpg

FS7fbrF.jpg

iOW0CVI.jpg

VA4BbA7.jpg

gRd5O09.jpg

a47YqLT.jpg

FkN0wNp.jpg

zb1KnFz.jpg

sXRpRMf.jpg

2WHhZp0.jpg

Great to see Linus having so much fun !!! Beautiful pics :thumbsup:
Gracias Mark for taking us along !:thumbsup::)

Good Morning Guardians
Busy weekend with the boys home and a knives showing up in the mail.
Went and saw Call Of The Wild last night, a completely enjoyable movie.

Glad you're having a great weekend, and I'll take that as a recommendation for the film my friend :) Always good to see your ebony WCLF :thumbsup:

I just remembered I had this forged spear-head somewhere, looks like someone's blacksmithing project :rolleyes: It took me a while to find it, and while doing so, I came across yet another box of knives I'd forgotten about :eek: I really need to sort out that spare bedroom :rolleyes:

bKxA5Tv.jpg

Why do that when you have a spear to haft? I can see no task of greater importance...

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread for a week (except for my data table on "posting pace")! :eek::(

Still looks like new, GT. :cool::thumbsup:
5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Nice Fall image of your Lam Jack.
...Lam Jack was and still is a beautiful Lambsfoot! :thumbsup: :)
Fantastic photograph, Gary!
"Sun with his artistic touch,
streaks skies of blue with rosy blush,
trimming Oak and Maple too,
crimson reds with yellow hue.
"

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poems/nature/fall/
Thanks for the observations (including waxing poetic) on Lam Jack, John & Harvey & Ron & Dan ( CelloDan CelloDan , somehow I lost your quote praising the edge on my knife) & Dennis. That 2017 Guardians Lambfoot is still in pretty good shape, but the horn handles have seasonally shrunk and swelled, it's picked up some patina from kitchen use, and it has some abrasions from a 5-foot fall onto a stone patio. ;):cool::cool:

Lol. I remember I didn't know what it was, and had it confused with Turkish Taffy. Hardly a confection worth betraying ones family for, even if it were enchanted. (a lot was lost on me at that age. I was up to around the third book in the series when it dawned on me there might just be some sort of Christian theme to the stories.) ;)
Having spent some time in western Asia, I can state unequivocally that Turkish Delight is not something I would betray anyone for. ...
I asked the girl reading the book what the younger brother's name was, and was about to say that, "Edmund was such a creep!" Then I decided it would be better for me to impugn his actions rather than his character, so I changed to, "Edmund sure made some bad decisions!"

When I was a kid, one of the old British confectionery companies heavily advertised a chocolate-covered sickly-sweet product they called Turkish Delight - "Full of Eastern Promise"! :D

That video seems designed to conjure up a whole different type of "Turkish Delight"! :eek::D

You bet! It should be an interesting season, although the Astros are gonna get a lot of booing on the road. Well, you reap what you sow. ...
I happened to be (re-)reading a biography of Ty Cobb and, coincidentally, on the same day as the Astros' "team apology", I read that an injured veteran player explained to the 18-year-old late-season call-up Cobb before his first game in the major leagues how open/closed slats in the scoreboard would indicate what type of pitch the opponents intended to throw. That was in 1905. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Thanks Gary, my mate with the tool-stall had the can, so I took a photo opportunity ;) Congratulations on your mammoth post my friend :thumbsup:

Great pic :) :thumbsup:
Here's something to blow the cobwebs away! ;) :thumbsup:

And I thought I'd start my week off with my Hartshead Barlow ;) :thumbsup:

7ZqNBaA.jpg
Thanks X 2, Jack. :) The music was rousing, but the lyrics lacked imagination! :p:thumbsup::cool:
Superior pic of your stag HHB! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

2 stone lighter and wearing 34inch jeans I reckon...:D
A random recycled picture for today's carry.
qfJLv9X.jpg

I hope everyone's week begins smoothly. :thumbsup:
David, regarding jeans, I'm currently trapped in "no man's land", with mostly 34" pants that are now too big for me, but I can only wear some of my 32" pants from a few years back. (And odd-number waist sizes are VERY hard to find in the inexpensive brands I usually favor.)
Great pic of the Eye of Sauron on a map of Middle Earth! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Java Java Jave!
fqjv2QI.jpg

Have a great week, all!
Great pic of the black bear on the blond horn, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We drove to Ottawa today to skate on the Rideau Canal.
09SxVna.jpg

And of course, my lambsfoot had to pose for one too at the Rideau Canal for the record.
aVro0Ba.jpg

So no trip to the Canal would be complete unless you enjoy a Beaver Tails , a popular Canadian pastry.
We got chocolate, garlic and cheese and cinnamon and lemon :thumbsup::)

DpBoxw3.jpg

After skating some more we stopped for poutine , a Quebec dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy :eek::eek::eek:
There like 100000000 calories :eek:

Ct3n3gx.jpg
Dan, I really enjoyed your post on skating the sunny Canadian canal and sampling the Canadian cuisine! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I had a nice Washington's Birthday/Family Day. The weather was nice, we went to the beach.
QZKeAzn.jpg

My daughter was with us, too:
And then my granddaughter showed up with my daughter-in-law (they live nearby, on the island):

sjshHC7.jpg

All in all, a very good day. :)
Vince, I also enjoyed this post on family in sunny settings! Your granddaughter dresses like a movie star! :cool::cool:;)

Err...:rolleyes: Doh! o_O I hope I remember next week Vince :eek: ;) Sorry for the confusion folks (not the first time I've got a date wrong :rolleyes:) :thumbsup:
I've certainly gotten dates wrong, too, Jack (and that's not even counting plenty of bad dates in my youth :rolleyes:)! ;)

it's soooooo early...
t19133.gif

My new Lambsfoot nail file.o_O:D
49541606667_3a4d36f007_h.jpg

Have a great day y'all!
That's pretty cool! :cool::cool::) How tough would it be to put an edge on that?? (I suppose there's heat treating to consider as well.)

Didn't think I'd ever have one of these but this arrived in the mail today.

Taylor's Eyewitness lambsfoot arrived from across the pond. Sharp, centered, great w & t.

xmQGxyY.jpg
Congrats on the new lambsfoot knives, gentlemen!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm getting the band back together ;) :D :thumbsup:

qOIxFKH.jpg

FC42tLW.jpg
Great to see the Hartshead Barlow Bros. then and now!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::)

I was just browsing @Âchillepattada 's thread on French amateur knifemaker Stephane Thomachot. In addition to putting new cover's on A's WCLF, Stephane has had a go at making the pattern himself. What do you think Guardians? :thumbsup:

AoVt4Pc.jpg
I'm not an expert on knife design, but my initial observations were similar to some already posted. The edge on the middle knife is certainly not a straight edge; it reminds me of the blade on the Taramundi I have, and I actually like that blade with a slight curve very much.
And the lack of a kick looks odd to me, but that's probably just an indication of my inexperience. If the WCLF is 3 7/8" closed (not sure if that's correct, but I'm not going to spend more than the 15 minutes I've spent so far searching :rolleyes:), then the other two knives are probably a little too big for me to comfortably carry.

Good morning Guardians! I wish I could show y’all some beautiful beach or snow photos! About the best I could do would be RAIN! :rolleyes: I do have my Rosewood Bigun to help brighten my day! :) :thumbsup:

49556110058_6c21397fbc_o_d.jpg
I like that knife more each time I see it, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I think I'm attracted to a knife that gets used. :)

Speaking of which, my lambsfoot for the past week has been a rosewood Hartshead Barlow lambsfoot that has lived on my kitchen counter since it arrived, except for its turn to be carried (one week out of every seven).
hhb2.mark.open.palette.jpg
hhb2.mark.blade.closeup.jpg

- GT

Why do that when you have a spear to haft? I can see no task of greater importance...

:D :thumbsup:

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread for a week (except for my data table on "posting pace")! :eek::(

That was a good one though! :D :thumbsup:

That video seems designed to conjure up a whole different type of "Turkish Delight"! :eek::D

LOL! :D Ad men got away with a great deal in the 60's and 70's (and before obviously)! :rolleyes:

Thanks X 2, Jack. :) The music was rousing, but the lyrics lacked imagination! :p:thumbsup::cool:
Superior pic of your stag HHB! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Oh, they're in Gaelic mate! :D ;) Thank you Gary :) :thumbsup:

I've certainly gotten dates wrong, too, Jack (and that's not even counting plenty of bad dates in my youth :rolleyes:)! ;)

I'm terrible for it! :confused: LOL! I've had one or two of those too! :D :thumbsup:

Great to see the Hartshead Barlow Bros. then and now!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::)

I'm not an expert on knife design, but my initial observations were similar to some already posted. The edge on the middle knife is certainly not a straight edge; it reminds me of the blade on the Taramundi I have, and I actually like that blade with a slight curve very much.
And the lack of a kick looks odd to me, but that's probably just an indication of my inexperience. If the WCLF is 3 7/8" closed (not sure if that's correct, but I'm not going to spend more than the 15 minutes I've spent so far searching :rolleyes:), then the other two knives are probably a little too big for me to comfortably carry.

Thanks again pal :)

Yes, I think you're right, I need new specs! :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, my lambsfoot for the past week has been a rosewood Hartshead Barlow lambsfoot that has lived on my kitchen counter since it arrived, except for its turn to be carried (one week out of every seven).
View attachment 1289426
View attachment 1289428

- GT

Nice pics :) Has it been getting plenty of use in the kitchen? Looks like you sorted that rotten edge out :cool: That's 'one down' ;) :thumbsup:

Masked bandit of the forest .

XRXd8JE.jpg

dxt1MCe.jpg

wjh8Bau.jpg

Gi1XdMZ.jpg

Wow, incredible Dan :cool: :cool: Muskie and Moley will be popping up next! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

1.jpg

Looking good Kevin, hope you've had good week Rocket-Man! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Cool photo, Kevin! Looks like your HHB kept the Hazmat stuff in check!:cool:

Thanks for the comments guys. Jake ( my rosewood HHB ) has been going to work with me 99% of the time.

That's pretty cool! :cool::cool::) How tough would it be to put an edge on that?? (I suppose there's heat treating to consider as well.)
I found the LF nail file in one of those little travel manicure kits. I only had to modify slightly by grinding off the hooked tip, to make it a proper Lambsfoot. I did it more for a laugh than anything. I don't think anyone but a Guardian would get the humor intended.
Putting an edge on it would be pretty easy but I don't think it would hold the edge. I don't know what kind of steel it might be but I doubt it has enough carbon to properly harden. Maybe one of these days I will get around to making a Lambsfoot with a Higonokami style handle and a proper blade steel...... Maybe I should finish the lambsfoot fixed blade that I started about a year ago first. :rolleyes::D

I hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend.
49571142903_572b737d4a_h.jpg

My '18 was with me yesterday.

Thanks for the comments guys. Jake ( my rosewood HHB ) has been going to work with me 99% of the time.

I found the LF nail file in one of those little travel manicure kits. I only had to modify slightly by grinding off the hooked tip, to make it a proper Lambsfoot. I did it more for a laugh than anything. I don't think anyone but a Guardian would get the humor intended.
Putting an edge on it would be pretty easy but I don't think it would hold the edge. I don't know what kind of steel it might be but I doubt it has enough carbon to properly harden. Maybe one of these days I will get around to making a Lambsfoot with a Higonokami style handle and a proper blade steel...... Maybe I should finish the lambsfoot fixed blade that I started about a year ago first. :rolleyes::D

I hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend.
49571142903_572b737d4a_h.jpg

My '18 was with me yesterday.

It sounds as if you have plenty of Lambsfoot projects to keep you busy Kevin :D Great to see your ebony '18 my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back