Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Sadly, I don't carry a watch much any more since I have a smart phone. :(
My wristwatch has been replaced by a Fitbit. :rolleyes:

Enjoying my Friday evening watching Die Hard 2. :)
6Hl3UqU.jpg
That stout looks tasty, and quaffing that while watching Die Hard 2 sounds like a pretty good Friday evening (although I'd probably fall asleep :rolleyes:)!

They come in half gallons?!? :eek::)
Nice paraphrase of a relevant LOTR quote!! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:eek::D:thumbsup:

Yep, that's an older picture. The neighbors have actually trimmed it back since then. It's not nearly so dramatic looking now. This type of agave is also known as a century plant.

Although it is called the century plant, it typically lives only 10 to 30 years. It has a spread around 6–10 ft (1.8–3.0 m) with gray-green leaves of 3–5 ft (0.9–1.5 m) long, each with a prickly margin and a heavy spike at the tip that can pierce deeply. Near the end of its life, the plant sends up a tall, branched stalk, laden with yellow blossoms, that may reach a total height up to 25–30 ft (8–9 m) tall.

I hope to get a picture of one that's putting up a stalk. It's amazing- looks just like a 25 foot tall asparagus!
We have something we call "yucca" (don't know if that's accurate) that must be related to your agave/century plant. The leaves on ours are not as big or as spiky as yours, and it sends up 6-8' blossoming stalks annually, not just as a prelude to death!

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. A Paczki is more of an over built doughnut. Though I’m certain your jelly roll would elicit the same silent moans of pleasure.:D I can never get enough of seeing Man Jack.:thumbsup:
WCLF is always on my Radar.
View attachment 1293009
I appreciate your positive remarks, Harvey. :)
That's a fine photo of your Charlie Lamb! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I'm losing track of who has what. Have you had that iconic knife since they originally came out?

A feller was telling me they got two feet on the other side of Leeds on Monday, while a mate who lives near Cattrick was completely snowed in. Where I live, I don't think we got more than a couple of inches, and it quickly disappeared. That's some serious snow in the Highlands, great pics, and a nice pint and Lambsfoot to round off an excellent post David :thumbsup:
That's an amazing snowfall variation in the same municipality! :eek:

Good Morning Guardians
Spring has really sprung around here.
Grass is green, flowers are blooming, it's sunny and mid-70's.
I guess there's a good reason I pay so much to live in California. :D:thumbsup:

I hope you enjoy it, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm looking forward to that kind of spring, but it's probably almost 2.5 months away. :(

Well guys and gals, I'm back after my cancer surgery. I was in the hospital in Portland, Oregon for two weeks and at the Swing Bed facility at our local hospital here in our town for a week. I'm still fairly weak but wanted to check in. I'll post in the future when I can.

Here I am two-days post-op displaying my usual effervescent personality. Sone of you may be asking; "What has that boy got tied to his head"? It's an ice pack - my best friend for my stay in the hospital. That thing coming out of my nose is my feeding tube.

ZeZbVUu.jpg

A big decision I had to make when going for surgery was - What knife to take? I decided on this
I decided on this Standard Lambfoot with Buffalo Horn cover that was gifted to me by Jack Black Jack Black . Of course I couldn't carry it on me so, the wife carried it in her purse for me.

q9c3REf.jpg

I didn't check this post out for spelling/grammar as I'm pretty much worn out from putting the post together. Good to be bak - I'll be talking - errrrrrrr, typing to everyone later.
So glad to hear from you, ED, and I'm very thankful to hear that things are going reasonably well. :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Rest up and get healthy ASAP! Do you have to rehab your leg as well as your jaw? When are you expecting your first steak burger?? ;)

All the best to all Guardians on this Feb 29 :)

5UOnAkr.jpg

VlzqpLE.jpg
Absolutely amazing photograph!!! :cool::thumbsup:
Totally agree with John, Dan!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And whenever I show your chickadee pics to my wife, she says, "Can you send me a copy of that?" :D

And Man Jack yet again:
2senator.mark.V.nov17.jpg

- GT

This is Man Food... Canned chili and sliced hotdogs. ;):thumbsup:
Decided to drink a beer for Jack to bring balance back to the Force.
Had hot dogs and chili tonight myself, but on buns. Nathan's hot dogs--the BEST--and Texas-based Wolf Brand Chili. Yum, yum! No beer yet, but I bought a 22-oz Guinness which I'll have tonight or tomorrow. Would that unbalance the Force?

Awesome picture Dennis, hopefully you get your back straightened out. It's amazing how some of the newer appliances don't hold up...
Thank Anthony!
Apparently, LG, and Samsung do not have a great reputation, and our compressor went out, which is a common problem with them.
That Horn is sure looking sweet Dennis!
Thank you very much, Duncan! It's been a great knife!
Loving- absolutely loving my AC gifted to me by Jack in York! Dinner last week with Sue

Up3TpTK.jpg
Great! Wonderful generosity by Jack to a well deserving guy! Congratulations!
Take it easy my friend. Put your feet up and have a malted pain reliever. ;)
Yes!! The bubbles take the pain molecules away!:D:thumbsup:
And Man Jack yet again:
2senator-mark-v-nov17-jpg.1293768
Do you have any photos of your Man Jack, Gary??:D:thumbsup: I can look at it all day!:thumbsup:
:D:thumbsup:
And Man Food needs Man Beer, then Man Pepcid!!:cool::p:thumbsup:

Amazing that you've got sprouts emerging already, Rachel! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Are they still viable, or did they freeze?
It may have gotten down to 32 degrees for a few minutes one morning, but it was 75 today, and the peas are fine. The green beans haven't sprouted yet, though. I went ahead and planted some more today. :):thumbsup:
We have something we call "yucca" (don't know if that's accurate) that must be related to your agave/century plant. The leaves on ours are not as big or as spiky as yours, and it sends up 6-8' blossoming stalks annually, not just as a prelude to death!
A similar plant, I think.

Have to say, I'm quite smitten with it so far. I used to think the Big 'Uns were too big, but this one is proving itself just right. The li'l ones are still my favorites, but I'm coming around ;)

I like it when a knife exceeds your expectations :) I mainly carry Big 'Uns when I am out hiking, but the regular size is still what I prefer overall I think :thumbsup:

6Wq73w9.jpg

Sorry for not responding to all, I torqued my back changing out our 4 YEAR OLD LG REFRIGERATOR!:mad::mad:
Great posts by all!:):thumbsup:

bKc97Af.jpg

Sorry to hear about your back Dennis, I hope it's feeling better today :) I've been meaning to get an new refrigerator for ages now, darn things are junk these days :mad: Nice pic of your horn Big 'Un :thumbsup:

Awesome picture Dennis, hopefully you get your back straightened out. It's amazing how some of the newer appliances don't hold up...

I have a pal in Sheffield, who is still using the freezer my grandmother bought in the mid 1960's. After she passed, my mother had it, then I had it, and I passed it on to my mate 25 years ago. The junk they turn out today is shocking, I know a guy who was sacked by one of the big electrical companies for trying to improve the designs of their fridges! o_O

Loving- absolutely loving my AC gifted to me by Jack in York! Dinner last week with Sue

Up3TpTK.jpg

jP9rg20.jpg

Nice to see your AC again Duncan, and to know you and Sue are eating well ;) How are things going pal, hope you're doing alright? :thumbsup:

Like Bill, I have a Waltham watch passed down by a railroad man; my grandfather's uncle got the watch while working on some Illinois railroad in the early 20th century, passed it on to my grandfather, who passed it to my Dad, who gave it to me a few years ago. It has Roman numerals on the face like Tim's watch does.
View attachment 1293695

That's quite some history GT, nice photo too :)

Thanks for your thoughtful replies, Jack, including the compliments about Man Jack. :)
Eventually, I'll have to try to even out the grind on my rosewood HHB, but for now, it performs admirably! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Pretty sunny by me the past 3 days, but probably the coldest-feeling 3-day stretch so far this winter; the wind has been brutal, especially while walking into it, of course. :(

Hope that wind drops soon Gary :thumbsup: I'm reminded that I bought an anemometer last year, and I think I have only used it once :rolleyes:

Maybe they had aspirations of being "chips off the old block"! :p:thumbsup:

I was always into trouble as a kid, but I think those girls had me beat! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

More Man Jack (apologies if I've posted this pic already this week):
View attachment 1293766

- GT

Good to see Man Jack again before he comes to the end of his current pocket reign :D ;) :thumbsup:

My neighbours have a full-grown Yucca. Unusual to see something like that in Yorkshire, but then I have another neighbour who has fig trees :confused:

That's an amazing snowfall variation in the same municipality! :eek:

Yeah, we seem to get a lot of very localised weather here Gary. I only live about a mile and a half away from the city centre, whereas the other guy lives about 3 miles out on the other side, I guess it's a bit higher there too :thumbsup:

My Fitbit kept telling me I needed to run, so I ran it over with my truck. ;):thumbsup:

LOL! :D I don't know what mine kept telling me, it was in Chinese, so I sent it back o_O :thumbsup:

Thanks John, great pic :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a great weekend. It rained heavily again here from mid afternoon right through the night, but currently the sun is out - we'll see how long that lasts! :rolleyes: I don't care too much anyway, as I have plenty to do in the house, and I sure got a lot of slingshot practice in yesterday :D

DbDuzZ9.jpg

Oh, and of course it's the first of March today, so I can turn a page on my vintage sci-fi calendar ;) Have a lovely Sunday Guardians :) :thumbsup:

oybyxKk.jpg

Thanks a lot John, I have a few, but I like this one most :)

That's good to hear :) I sent Dave Horsewright Horsewright a book with an account by a member of the first English-speaking expedition to go overland from the East to California, and I thought it made absolutely fascinating reading. What a bountiful region! I wish I could remember the name of the book :oops: :thumbsup:

No, it's always been a compass Tim :) It was made by F. Barker & Son prior to 1875. I'd love to see your coin holder though :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good day. The weather here has changed this afternoon, and while it is still a little windy, it is actually quite sunny :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

xijZ969.jpg

Morning Guardians. The book Jack referenced is Adventures of a Mountain Man: The Narrative of Zenas Leonard. I haven't finished it yet, but it is interesting. My time to read is not plentiful. I've got 4 holsters, 23 sheaths and 2 belts to do, to be caught up. But that caught up thing don't happen much. In the cowboy world waistcoats have never gone out of style or popularity. We call em vests though. Interestingly Horsewright was founded on custom vests. They were the first product we ever made, we've been in business over 20 years now. We stopped making them for some years but then got back into it a few years back. They are all handmade by my wife and are two layers of wool. Our dining room table becomes her workshop when she's making vests:

176SkRJ.jpg

They really fit under a coat or jacket well and provide extra warmth when its cold and also they provide a lot of freedom of movement when we're roping or riding. The wife with one of her's on:

4zM310K.jpg

My son Logan at one of his brandings. We also wear a lot of vests not made by Horsewright:

NP1ZlQm.jpg

Helping some friends over on the coast (Piru), at least its raining someplace:

L3fmL0X.jpg

Took this pic at a roping back in Oct. I took the pic cause the guy on the right whom I don't know has one of my knives on and a belt I'd made too. But the pic does show another guy in a vest not of our making. The guy on the right was camped near us and he was wearing one of our vests in the cool of the morning.

VbTnSaR.jpg

Good Morning Guardians
Spring has really sprung around here.
Grass is green, flowers are blooming, it's sunny and mid-70's.
I guess there's a good reason I pay so much to live in California. :D:thumbsup:

Spring needs to un sprung around here. Driest Feb on record. We've had .15 of an inch of rain. Not any significant mositure since the last week of Dec when we had a huge snow storm here too. Going out to gather the holding pasture at a friends branding week and half ago. Overlooking the south end of the San Joaquin:

kVCf5ZI.jpg

Morning Guardians. The book Jack referenced is Adventures of a Mountain Man: The Narrative of Zenas Leonard. I haven't finished it yet, but it is interesting. My time to read is not plentiful. I've got 4 holsters, 23 sheaths and 2 belts to do, to be caught up. But that caught up thing don't happen much. In the cowboy world waistcoats have never gone out of style or popularity. We call em vests though. Interestingly Horsewright was founded on custom vests. They were the first product we ever made, we've been in business over 20 years now. We stopped making them for some years but then got back into it a few years back. They are all handmade by my wife and are two layers of wool. Our dining room table becomes her workshop when she's making vests:

176SkRJ.jpg

They really fit under a coat or jacket well and provide extra warmth when its cold and also they provide a lot of freedom of movement when we're roping or riding. The wife with one of her's on:

4zM310K.jpg

My son Logan at one of his brandings. We also wear a lot of vests not made by Horsewright:

NP1ZlQm.jpg

Helping some friends over on the coast (Piru), at least its raining someplace:

L3fmL0X.jpg

Took this pic at a roping back in Oct. I took the pic cause the guy on the right whom I don't know has one of my knives on and a belt I'd made too. But the pic does show another guy in a vest not of our making. The guy on the right was camped near us and he was wearing one of our vests in the cool of the morning.

VbTnSaR.jpg

Spring needs to un sprung around here. Driest Feb on record. We've had .15 of an inch of rain. Not any significant mositure since the last week of Dec when we had a huge snow storm here too. Going out to gather the holding pasture at a friends branding week and half ago. Overlooking the south end of the San Joaquin:

kVCf5ZI.jpg

Thanks a lot for dropping by Dave, a fantastic post as always my friend :) You all look mighty smart in your vests, and I'm sure they are just as well-made as your knives :) Thank you for the reminder on the title of that book, for a man with the memory of a goldfish, I really ought to write more stuff down! :D Sorry to hear about the lack of rain there, I wish I could send you some of ours, we've had it in spades this year :eek: Enjoy the rest of your Sunday Dave :) :thumbsup:

Absolutely amazing photograph!!! :cool::thumbsup:

nother great set of your idealic Wintry scenes.

Absolutely stunning Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

Chickadee in flight. Amazing!

Stunning Shots of our little wee friends- just simply beautiful!

Totally agree with John, Dan!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And whenever I show your chickadee pics to my wife, she says, "Can you send me a copy of that?" :D

Those action pics are outstanding. Aldo Leupold has an excellent essay in A Sand County Almanac about chickadees, I forget the name of the entry now...

Muchas gracias Guardians for the kind comments !!! :)
We had a nice day with the family yesterday visiting the chickadees and then going skating.

This morning, however , something is OFF.
I feel confused and disoriented :confused: ... everything around me looks surreal.
No chickadees anywhere !!! :eek:
I summoned the powers of my 3 lambs but with no effect yet !
What is going on !!!!

Z13hHPL.jpg

Muchas gracias Guardians for the kind comments !!! :)
We had a nice day with the family yesterday visiting the chickadees and then going skating.

This morning, however , something is OFF.
I feel confused and disoriented :confused: ... everything around me looks surreal.
No chickadees anywhere !!! :eek:
I summoned the powers of my 3 lambs but with no effect yet !
What is going on !!!!

Z13hHPL.jpg

LOL! :D Great pic Dan :cool: Maybe the chickadees are all away on honeymoon! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thank Anthony!
Apparently, LG, and Samsung do not have a great reputation, and our compressor went out, which is a common problem with them.
My brother had an LG washer that came with his house that we had to haul out after just a few years. I couldn't believe it. I'm limping my 20 some odd year old topload washer as long as I can.
I have a pal in Sheffield, who is still using the freezer my grandmother bought in the mid 1960's. After she passed, my mother had it, then I had it, and I passed it on to my mate 25 years ago. The junk they turn out today is shocking, I know a guy who was sacked by one of the big electrical companies for trying to improve the designs of their fridges! o_O
They definitely don't make them like they used to Jack, but a nice sharp lambsfoot never disappoints!15830754492402038668374.jpg

My brother had an LG washer that came with his house that we had to haul out after just a few years. I couldn't believe it. I'm limping my 20 some odd year old topload washer as long as I can.

They definitely don't make them like they used to Jack, but a nice sharp lambsfoot never disappoints!View attachment 1294022

That's not bad going these days Willie :thumbsup: Some of the things about pocket knives is that they are simple, reliable, you can hold them in your hand, usually fix them if they need fixing, and they take a long time to wear out :thumbsup:

Back