Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Ahh sorry Jack. Here in north Cheshire/south Lancashire we have Robins year round, (if anything their less numerous in the summer) so I don't know why some would migrate and some wouldn't.

It might be that if those Robins could talk, some would have different accents David, some might have Russian or Swedish accents. While many Robins stay in the same area throughout, others apparently migrate to warmer climes in Southern Europe, while we are joined by other Robins from colder places. I don't understand it either, neither do a lot of folks it seems, which might account for the fact that there are so many internet searches on the subject, and sites trying to give an explanation ;) Here's the link I provided to GT the other day. The subject it even causing marital strife apparently :rolleyes: Even this Robin is confused! :D :thumbsup:

0OZ80L2.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that; it's no way to run a business, especially one that is obviously capable of turning out such quality products as your SFO's. :(

It's not a very successful model is it, but don't forget there have been some substantial changes there this year? o_O Thanks David :thumbsup:

I hope Bonne Maman aren't changing the shape of their jars.
05mBPRQ.jpg

No, I just finished off this one! :D When I open the Giant-size version, it might well last me the rest of the year :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

buQ1TSs.jpg

Water tea beer. Water tea beer. Water tea beer.
Repeat as necessary. :D

:D :thumbsup:

Cheers. The Leeds/Liverpool canal (Leigh Branch) and then Pennington Flash nature reserve.

Very nice :)

I had a nice walk yesterday, but didn't take many photos :thumbsup:

eKrFGmC.jpg

1JoGoRc.jpg

ciCBlMM.jpg

“Double your pleasure, double your fun. Carry two LambFoots instead of just one.” Hope your weekend is filled with good moments, Jack.

JohnDF JohnDF - Thank you John. The feeling is mutual.

Good Afternoon Guardians.

A William Rodgers with a beautiful, meaningful coin from Dennis - @mitch4ging -, The coin is from the legendary 3rd Armoured Division(Spearhead-1941 to 1992. Thank you Dennis.
97C550B8-C52E-4E9B-AE1D-15B5543D534A_zpszclsmzbx.jpeg

LOL! Thanks a lot Harvey :D You too my friend :) Fantastic photo of your William Rodgers, and that fine coin from from one of our resident heroes :) :thumbsup:

Yes, Jack, he always had gracious things to say about my Yixing tea pots. Not many Americans drink hot tea anymore, it seems.
I do hope he is well, and just taking a hiatus.

Yes, Jack, he always had gracious things to say about my Yixing tea pots. Not many Americans drink hot tea anymore, it seems.
I do hope he is well, and just taking a hiatus.

I am really glad to have spent some time with him in Sheffield Jeff, a really nice young man, with a lovely manner, and knowledge beyond his years :) Stan Shaw really warmed to him too :) I hope he'll come back to us before too long :thumbsup:

pXHspKT.jpg

Running a bit behind today, and just having my mid-morning coffee at a quarter to 1 :rolleyes: Ginger nuts are the biscuits I associate with my childhood, since they were the ones my family most commonly had in (though often a cheaper brand). I'm not an habitual biscuit dunker, but ginger nuts dunk better than most, and I can remember being introduced to the practice, as a toddler, by my teenage auntie, who warned me not to tell my parents, as it was considered a little 'common' back then :rolleyes:

sNudo6g.jpg
Funny how loathe we common types are to appear common.
Darn it, this is the commonest background I can find.
EKDgpZg.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Barrett, I had a break from Sam Smith's yesterday myself, I had the Imperial Stout queued up in the fridge, but ended up drinking a few lighter beers out in the garden with a friend. Something to look forward to later ;) :thumbsup:

I was disappointed they didn’t have the Imperial Stout when I stocked up, and annoyed when I checked their app later that same day — it’s a big chain liquor store, so they have an app :rolleyes: — and it showed it was in stock.

Speaking of Imperial Stouts, just before we moved from AZ to MN, I found this single can of Oskar Blues’ Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) in the back of the fridge. At that point it had been a few years since I’d had any (so it had been back there a while), but I remember it being quite good, so I went ahead and packed it in the cooler with all the other beer I‘d be hauling across the country. Well now it’s been a couple more years, and it’s still in the fridge. I wouldn’t say I’m afraid to drink it, but I do wonder if it’ll be any good at this point.

PRZ4AKl.jpg

Check out that “canned on” date. o_O :D

1ZfIxtC.jpg

I guess at 10.5% it might have better chance of being drinkable (even enjoyable) than most beers after 7 years. I suppose there’s only one way to find out… ;) :D

Tonight, though, it’s the Samuel Smith’s Yorkshire Stingo.

OjVyUux.jpg

I may have mentioned before that this bottle cost slightly more than any of the Sam Smith’s four-packs that I bought, so it was certainly the most expensive beer I picked up that day. That said, it did not disappoint!

They pretty much nail it in the description on the back of the bottle: fruit, raisins, toffee, Christmas pudding (ok, so I don’t know exactly what Christmas pudding tastes like, but I think I can imagine it ;)) and a bit of oak. I’d say there’s a bit of brown sugar or molasses in the sweetness, but it isn’t overly sweet, or at least, the sweetness is balanced out by the alcohol and just slight bitterness. It’s 8.0% ABV, but it doesn’t really taste like it, and drinks pretty easily. It actually reminds me of some sour beers that I’ve had (including my favorite, New Belgium’s La Folie), but without the strong tartness.

I’d say the Stingo was a fantastic way to end my Sam Smith’s tasting (of course, I’ve still got more of all the others that I’ll be enjoying). :D :thumbsup:

Yes, I think you're right about that David. I was more interested in the Robin though, I always associate them with Christmas, but it seems they are actually a summer visitor, with many flying away to warmer climes in the winter

It might be that if those Robins could talk, some would have different accents David, some might have Russian or Swedish accents. While many Robins stay in the same area throughout, others apparently migrate to warmer climes in Southern Europe, while we are joined by other Robins from colder places. I don't understand it either, neither do a lot of folks it seems, which might account for the fact that there are so many internet searches on the subject, and sites trying to give an explanation ;) Here's the link I provided to GT the other day. The subject it even causing marital strife apparently :rolleyes: Even this Robin is confused! :D
Interesting. In the US, robins are a sign of Springtime. It's common to see cardinals on Christmas cards, and living in the south, I used to only see them in the Wintertime, but I've notice in the last few years that many of them stay year round. I wonder how much climate change could be altering their migrations. I know the kestrels and nighthawks that I used to see out in the country have moved in to the city. All the streetlights attract insects, so the night time hunting is better in town.

Here in California, hot tea has really taken off with the younger generation. Tea shops springing up everywhere.

It could be worse...

amsterdam%20coffeeshop%201-xlarge.jpg

:eek: :D

The Right Stuff.... :thumbsup:

QPChbU2.jpg

Cool pic David :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. The orange marmalade is saying to me: “Add to Cart.”

I have just had some on my toast Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Funny how loathe we common types are to appear common.
Darn it, this is the commonest background I can find.
EKDgpZg.jpg

Yes indeed :D I do think things have changed, at one time, here at least, it was considered outrageous to have uncovered table legs! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Back home at Woodchuck Acres, we have this colander, that I’ve had for some decades.
CYtfT6h.jpg

Great to see how many of those old colanders are still around :)

I was disappointed they didn’t have the Imperial Stout when I stocked up, and annoyed when I checked their app later that same day — it’s a big chain liquor store, so they have an app :rolleyes: — and it showed it was in stock.

That's annoying, and typical of online ordering, Barrett o_O

Speaking of Imperial Stouts, just before we moved from AZ to MN, I found this single can of Oskar Blues’ Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) in the back of the fridge. At that point it had been a few years since I’d had any (so it had been back there a while), but I remember it being quite good, so I went ahead and packed it in the cooler with all the other beer I‘d be hauling across the country. Well now it’s been a couple more years, and it’s still in the fridge. I wouldn’t say I’m afraid to drink it, but I do wonder if it’ll be any good at this point.

PRZ4AKl.jpg

Check out that “canned on” date. o_O :D

1ZfIxtC.jpg

I guess at 10.5% it might have better chance of being drinkable (even enjoyable) than most beers after 7 years. I suppose there’s only one way to find out… ;) :D

LOL! :D I'd say, in a bottle, it'd be fine. In a can...I'd probably still try it! :D I put a can of tomatoes into a chilli I was making a couple of weeks back, and noticed the use by date was 4 years earlier :rolleyes: Not as bad as some of the stuff I found in my camping cupboard, the oldest use by date was 14 years ago! :eek: :rolleyes:

Tonight, though, it’s the Samuel Smith’s Yorkshire Stingo.

OjVyUux.jpg

I may have mentioned before that this bottle cost slightly more than any of the Sam Smith’s four-packs that I bought, so it was certainly the most expensive beer I picked up that day. That said, it did not disappoint!

They pretty much nail it in the description on the back of the bottle: fruit, raisins, toffee, Christmas pudding (ok, so I don’t know exactly what Christmas pudding tastes like, but I think I can imagine it ;)) and a bit of oak. I’d say there’s a bit of brown sugar or molasses in the sweetness, but it isn’t overly sweet, or at least, the sweetness is balanced out by the alcohol and just slight bitterness. It’s 8.0% ABV, but it doesn’t really taste like it, and drinks pretty easily. It actually reminds me of some sour beers that I’ve had (including my favorite, New Belgium’s La Folie), but without the strong tartness.

I’d say the Stingo was a fantastic way to end my Sam Smith’s tasting (of course, I’ve still got more of all the others that I’ll be enjoying). :D :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the Stingo Barrett, great post :) I haven't drunk much over the past couple of days, so I still have my Imperial Stout to look forward to (and the Stingo). I did have this one yesterday though. Two words - Cherrt pop! :D

eZJjjIp.jpg

Beautiful photos Dan :) :thumbsup:

Interesting. In the US, robins are a sign of Springtime. It's common to see cardinals on Christmas cards, and living in the south, I used to only see them in the Wintertime, but I've notice in the last few years that many of them stay year round. I wonder how much climate change could be altering their migrations. I know the kestrels and nighthawks that I used to see out in the country have moved in to the city. All the streetlights attract insects, so the night time hunting is better in town.

I wondered the same here Rachel. I find it particularly strange with the way some European Robins migrate and some choose not to :confused: Here, the levels of road traffic are more or less back to normal, and the birds seem to have become more wary and less bold again, which I rather miss. Terrible though this whole business is, there were aspects of the early lockdown days I liked, seeing the streets and roads empty, breathing cleaner air, and if you saw someone, they'd wave to you from the other side of the road, and ask how you were doing :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, another Sunday :rolleyes: Here in Yorkshire, we have had an almost unprecedented run of good weather over the past couple of months, it has been sunny virtually every day, a shame most of us haven't been able to go anywhere and enjoy it, but it has at least allowed those with gardens to sit out in them. A lot of stuff due to re-open tomorrow, pretty confusing about what will and what won't, nobody seems to know o_O Hope everyone is staying safe and well, and that you have a relaxing and enjoyable Sunday :) :thumbsup:

k3b6Dl3.jpg

With page 2000 swiftly approaching, I thought we'd better have a giveaway :) I managed to find one of the 10 knives I had made up with vintage African Rosewood covers...

vturM74.jpg

It's only open to Guardians, but here's the twist, you can nominate someone who doesn't have a Lambsfoot knife to receive this one as a prize. They must have at least 20 posts in the Traditional forum to qualify (please check), agree to give the knife a try, and not sell it (they can put it up for another giveaway or pass it on to another member here). To enter, please say that you're in, name the member you're nominating, and say why you're nominating them to win a Lambsfoot knife :thumbsup:

I don't know if he has a Lambsfoot knife, but I'd like to nominate @knifethetank. We had a very nice exchange over DM, and he was generous, thoughtful, and creative. I think he would be an excellent choice to receive a lambsfoot, if he meets the qualifications.

Back