Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

That is some fine lookin' patina on that HHB, Taylor.
It looks like you are starting to build a good patina on your hands too. ;)

Annnd he's back with another spicy post!
Always good to see you here, Chin.

I think I am going to need at least a gallon of coffee to fully wake up today.

A shot of Betty from Saturday.
49954312577_c7c1ca0f8d_h.jpg
Thanks! Lol just a lil chainsaw work yesterday.

Although the bushfires which raged up and down the Eastern seaboard of Australia earlier this year didn’t affect this part of Victoria (much of the forested part of the state was already burnt in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires), somehow my appetite for posting seemed a little frivolous with so many people here losing everything.

Then there were the floods, and funnily enough during this whole lockdown period I’ve been working more than ever, being employed in an essential industry.
Good to hear from you.
Your litany of disasters reminds me of a WWII-era Punch cartoon where someone is showing a Yank a bomb-crater. The Yank says, "This is nothing compared to how we've imagined them in America."

Can't find it, of course.
yqqXDAk.jpg

Good Afternoon Guardians

This just in...A Pére David Big'un
View attachment 1351241

View attachment 1351242

Looks good Harvey, how's the fit and finish? :thumbsup:

Great pics Dan :) :thumbsup:

Afternoon coffee... pretty lazy day so far.

Looks like the makings of a great afternoon there John :) I'm just having a sneaky Digestive ;) :thumbsup:

When I was a young man, if you were catching a train, and wanted something to pass a bit of time on the journey, after you'd read the newspaper, Punch was about the only choice available. The cartoons were the only funny thing in there, but worth the price of the magazine :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Oh I'd drink that Imperial Stout. At that strength it should last for ages, and you'd easily know if it was off as soon as you popped the can. :D

I’m gonna give it a go, but not until we get a cooler day, or the A/C replaced (which won’t be until the end of next week). :D :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians!

I’m duly chastised and apologetic for my absence. :oops:

I’m also humbled and grateful for your kind words, concern and friendship - it’s a rare thing to have a corner of the ‘net marked by such graciousness, generosity and genuine care and cameraderie for our fellow enthusiasts.

It wasn’t really a planned thing - as Jack mentioned, a number of things can all contribute to a regular poster’s absence.

In my case I guess it was a combination of working longer hours and having less spare time in general, as well as researching some other interests.

We’ve all been living in interesting times recently, but here in Australia we’ve experienced some particularly apocalyptic events, even before the Covid-19 pandemic.

Although the bushfires which raged up and down the Eastern seaboard of Australia earlier this year didn’t affect this part of Victoria (much of the forested part of the state was already burnt in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires), somehow my appetite for posting seemed a little frivolous with so many people here losing everything.

Then there were the floods, and funnily enough during this whole lockdown period I’ve been working more than ever, being employed in an essential industry.

Anyway, I hope you’re all well, my friends and not suffering from too much cabin fever!

Greg, thanks for the kind words about the Lambshank - it would be great to make some extra ones for you all, but I’m afraid I don’t have the grinding gear at hand to do it at the moment. It would be quite an expensive knife, as the handle is completely 3D contoured by hand, but if I ever do make more, rest assured that the Guardians would of course be given first option.

gBz67vx.jpg

y635Wdk.jpg

Winter’s here now, and the leaves are dropping on my chilli bushes.

Here’s a pic from a little while ago:

MatHGkc.jpg

Ebony big’un with a Sri Lankan chilli pepper, crumbed and stuffed with Kingfish curry.

fYq0ROP.jpg

Jack, some time ago you asked about some of my sharpening gear, so I’ve included a bit of kit for an upcoming sharpening project in this pic with three of my most treasured Lambsfoot knives.

Ilvnxf3.jpg

The vials are 50K and 100K grit diamond powders I bought from a gemstone lapidary, which I’m planning to make some high concentration stropping pastes with.:)

There’s also a strongly magnetic chunk of raw volcanic iron from Western Victoria, and a frond of Antarctic Tree Fern from the garden.

The knives need no introduction, I’m sure.;)

Ok, I’ll have to sign off now and head in to work, but I’m looking forward to catching up with you all!:)

Good to see you around, Chin! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I had the little ox horn Lamb with me today.
49957317798_94f2f2fe47_h.jpg

Great photo! :D

Good Morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a safe and peaceful weekend. Another sunny day here in Yorkshire :thumbsup:

DMFkMza.jpg

I like that photo, Jack! :thumbsup:

Glad you got your Jammie Dodgers John :D :thumbsup:

Just having a cuppa ;) :thumbsup:

a8cXbDV.jpg

Jack, I think I can guess the answer, but I’ll ask anyways: how do you feel about Viennese Whirls? :D

I like novelty knives on the whole, but this 'Limited Edition Millennium Lambsfoot', produced by Eggington in 2000, with the Joseph Rodgers tang stamp, leaves me cold! Far from keeping the old Sheffield names of George Wostenholm, George Ibberson, William Rodgers, Joseph Allen, Joseph Rodgers alive, I think this firm has just dragged them through the mud o_O

41NJ7uAcxpL._AC_.jpg

They say if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all…

Good morning Guardians! I hope y’all are safe and well this morning! I’m carrying my Waynorth Cutlery Jigged Bone Lambsfoot. :) :thumbsup:

49756266323_77a548a1d2_o_d.jpg

Great shot of a beautiful knife, Ron! :thumbsup: I like how dark the bone is on yours. I feel like most of them were a bit lighter.

(Recycled photo.)

EoYuNVv.jpg

Hello Guardians!

I’m also humbled and grateful for your kind words, concern and friendship - it’s a rare thing to have a corner of the ‘net marked by such graciousness, generosity and genuine care and cameraderie for our fellow enthusiasts.

It wasn’t really a planned thing - as Jack mentioned, a number of things can all contribute to a regular poster’s absence.

In my case I guess it was a combination of working longer hours and having less spare time in general, as well as researching some other interests.

We’ve all been living in interesting times recently, but here in Australia we’ve experienced some particularly apocalyptic events, even before the Covid-19 pandemic.

Anyway, I hope you’re all well, my friends and not suffering from too much cabin fever!

Greg, thanks for the kind words about the Lambshank - it would be great to make some extra ones for you all, but I’m afraid I don’t have the grinding gear at hand to do it at the moment. It would be quite an expensive knife, as the handle is completely 3D contoured by hand, but if I ever do make more, rest assured that the Guardians would of course be given first option.

gBz67vx.jpg

y635Wdk.jpg

MatHGkc.jpg

Ebony big’un with a Sri Lankan chilli pepper, crumbed and stuffed with Kingfish curry.

fYq0ROP.jpg

Jack, some time ago you asked about some of my sharpening gear, so I’ve included a bit of kit for an upcoming sharpening project in this pic with three of my most treasured Lambsfoot knives.

Ilvnxf3.jpg

The vials are 50K and 100K grit diamond powders I bought from a gemstone lapidary, which I’m planning to make some high concentration stropping pastes with.:)

There’s also a strongly magnetic chunk of raw volcanic iron from Western Victoria, and a frond of Antarctic Tree Fern from the garden.

Ok, I’ll have to sign off now and head in to work, but I’m looking forward to catching up with you all!:)

It is really good to see that you are alive and well, Chin! Though I certainly miss your posts, I very much understand how life can get in the way of posting here. I hope you continue to take care and that you remain safe amidst all the craziness.

I don't think I ever noticed that your Lambshank has a tapered tang, that just makes an already exquisite knife even more special.

Great shot of a beautiful knife, Ron! :thumbsup: I like how dark the bone is on yours. I feel like most of them were a bit lighter.

(Recycled photo.)

EoYuNVv.jpg
Thanks Barrett! There is a lot of variety in the Jigged Bone Waynorths, but they are all very nice! That’s a great photo of two beautiful knives! :) :thumbsup:

Looks good Harvey, how's the fit and finish? :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack. Well it’s no JB SFO.:D The F&F is quite good. The blade favors the pile side, but no blade rub. One haft is thicker than the other, which is not objectionable to me. The covers had the exact look that I wanted in Pére David. I also found attractive that it was a Big'un. Opens and closes very nicely.

Hello Guardians!

gBz67vx.jpg

y635Wdk.jpg

MatHGkc.jpg

fYq0ROP.jpg

Ilvnxf3.jpg

Chin, so good to see a post from you. Glad to hear that you're doing OK.

Thanks for sharing more pictures of your lambshank. Such a cool knife!

I like novelty knives on the whole, but this 'Limited Edition Millennium Lambsfoot', produced by Eggington in 2000, with the Joseph Rodgers tang stamp, leaves me cold! Far from keeping the old Sheffield names of George Wostenholm, George Ibberson, William Rodgers, Joseph Allen, Joseph Rodgers alive, I think this firm has just dragged them through the mud o_O

41NJ7uAcxpL._AC_.jpg

Now Jack, are we going to have to get on you about posting non-lambsfoot content in the thread? It could just be the angle of a the photo, but that blade looks like the offspring of a sheepsfoot and a hawkbill to me.... ;) :D

Thanks for the warm welcome back my friends, I really appreciate it.:)

Harvey - that Pere David Lambsfoot looks great. I really like that randomised scratch pattern, which comes from stags jousting and thrashing at trees, and possibly also from having the shed antlers all jumbled up in storage and while being transported to Wright’s. It’s like a natural surface jigging pattern, in a way. How’s the slab thickness when viewed from above?

John - Skoll’s looking grand as ever. You could pair that knife with a fine English side by side shotgun, and it wouldn’t look out of place.

Jer - Thanks and yes, I can imagine a world weary Bill Mauldin style cartoon treatment of the same disaster theme.:thumbsup:

Ed - Nice pic to brighten the day. Is that coin anything to do with a naval Crossing The Line tradition?

Bill - thanks very much for the PM, and it was great to chat to you.

Barrett - I thought of you and Eleanor the other day when I walked past AC/DC lane in Melbourne. I remember you posted a pic of Eleanor when she was younger in an AC/DC t-shirt.

q6OOW1Z.jpg

6uBHDLP.jpg

Dylan - Thanks my friend. Yes, one of the other features of the Lambshank which is not so visible are the plunge and swedge grinds are hand radiused at the points where they would normally meet at a right angle. This is to offer extra strength to resist stress risers.

Kevin - What’s life without spice mi amigo?! I know you and Jack like a good bowl of Pho, so I took this pic of another tasty Vietnamese-French concoction I’m sure you know - the banh mi, or roast pork roll:

9816GWH.jpg

Jack - While that millennium Lambsfoot has a certain Austin Powers shamelessness, I mean ‘panache’ to it :D, I wonder what kind of mind could have conceived such a thing? Certainly no lover of knives, I’ll bet! I guess technically you could say they’re keeping the great houses alive if generations of working cutlers are rolling in their graves?!

Yeah, I see a slight hawkbill curve to the blade as well - or is it just a funky camera angle?

Thanks for the kind comments too, it certainly makes a change from the Aussie tradition, where if you’re liked and accepted, your friends will say all sorts of awful things about you in jest!

That book cover looks great, I’d read that for sure!

I have to say I really enjoy the conversational riffs and sub themes to the main Lambsfoot content here - it’s what gives this thread such character. Congrats on the 2000+ pages, by the way.

Ok, please forgive the hasty post while I get ready to head off to work again.

A bit of Kipling-Lambsfoot content:

jcgHrtC.jpg

And another old friend:

ijOB4zu.jpg

Last edited:
Back