Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

IUsVeKG.jpg
That's some handsome horn, Randy! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

How about a Friday afternoon Lambfoot knife pic just for the heck of it?

HPFGkx4.jpg
Fantastic Four For Friday, ED! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you very much, Gary!
The pen was turned by another member here on the forums, Osage Orange. I like the fatter feel, easier to hold onto with the "arthr"!:D
Thank you very much, Gary! :cool::thumbsup: Just looks like I'll have to get back on the iron infusions for a bit.
Went through high school doing book reports on Louis L’Amour and Zane Grey books!:cool::thumbsup:
nLwrsHj.jpg
Thanks for the pen and the health info, Dennis. :)
You must have gone to some modern, progressive high school where you got to choose your own books to report on! :eek::D We had to read the books our teachers assigned to us. ;)

Priceless patina, and I love the "glowing embers" in your ironwood handle! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Impressive vintage pair of lambsfoots, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Adding some excitement to my pockets, at least, with a Double Lambsfoot Day :D :thumbsup:

Fi0t4tJ.jpg
Definitely a distinguished daily double, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That's handy. :D

I do like the domestic architecture of the U.S. Your traditional houses are very handsome and homely looking. :thumbsup:
It's been a busy couple of days for me actually but this was on my evening walk last night.
19ieEpU.jpg

David, that Miti-Mini Superette "traditional neighborhood convenience store" is not really very handy because their prices are so exorbitant. :eek:
On behalf of all Americans, I thank you for your kind characterization of US domestic architecture. :)
Superb photo of your horn lambsfoot, canalside! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Check out that “canned on” date. o_O :D
I guess at 10.5% it might have better chance of being drinkable (even enjoyable) than most beers after 7 years. I suppose there’s only one way to find out… ;) :D
Oh I'd drink that Imperial Stout. At that strength it should last for ages, and you'd easily know if it was off as soon as you popped the can. :D
LOL! :D I'd say, in a bottle, it'd be fine. In a can...I'd probably still try it! :D I put a can of tomatoes into a chilli I was making a couple of weeks back, and noticed the use by date was 4 years earlier :rolleyes: Not as bad as some of the stuff I found in my camping cupboard, the oldest use by date was 14 years ago! :eek: :rolleyes:
I'm with David and Jack on this issue - I'd drink it. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Terrible though this whole business is, there were aspects of the early lockdown days I liked, seeing the streets and roads empty, breathing cleaner air, and if you saw someone, they'd wave to you from the other side of the road, and ask how you were doing :thumbsup:
k3b6Dl3.jpg
Gorgeous photo of your stag HHB, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I also miss the slower pace and lower traffic volumes of March and April. I'm still walking 6-8 miles each day, and the major streets I cross become much busier in the past month. :(

... I’m carrying my stag big’un this weekend! Hope y’all have a safe and blessed weekend! :thumbsup: :)

49882737026_0ea4df6087_o_d.jpg
Blade and handle are so nicely matched on your big Pere David, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1350535
have a great day Guardians
Joshua, I used to really enjoy the groovy pics of your original AC, but you have some splendid photos of your 2nd AC as well! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

I do, too, Jack. Both beers sound wonderful. I've been following along as you and Barrett have been describing the Stingo. Still need to get around to picking up some Sam Smiths. For now was happy to support a local brewery that specializes in English styles. :thumbsup:

You might be surprised... Photos at Napa Valley Register.

Sorry to have poked at a sore spot, David. I hope that they are able to re-open sooner than you dare hope.

The beer was good. I don't drink a lot of ESBs—I'd prefer an ordinary bitter or an IPA—but am happy that I have three more cans of it in the fridge.

The brewery describes itself as having "a mission to fuse English tradition and American audacity into a collection of beers that are full-flavored yet balanced" and I think they do a pretty good job of it. They're "London Calling", which is a bitter in their standard rotation, is very good. I also picked up "Hoppier Shade of Pale" that is what is a very nice pale ale with west-coast hops. I'll have to show a picture of that later.

Good for you in supporting that local brewery Greg, Sam Smith's don't need the money (though I do have another mixed case of theirs awaiting my attention ;) ) :thumbsup: Those beers sound fantastic too :thumbsup:

Good morning to the Guardians in the US & Canada, good afternoon to the Guardians in the UK & Europe, and a very late good evening to the Guardians in Australia!

I wondered if I might spark some discussion—or friendly debate, even—today. We've talked often in this thread about the defining characteristics of a lambsfoot knife. And, we've talked often in this thread about what we like about the pattern and the blade. How about a different slant on these themes to continue to probe the nuances of what we hold dear?

For those who are game, please complete this sentence: "A lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without..." by mentioning one aspect that you personally find as either the most defining or most prized aspect of a lambsfoot.

I'll get things started and go first. For me, a lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without it's nose.

As I've previously shared, without realizing it, I'd unwittingly become a fan of the nose profile of the lambsfoot before even owning one. There's something about it that makes it so practical for so many things. Others have described it in almost Goldilocks terms: "The nose angle of Blade S is too obtuse and can't get into tight spots as well as a lambsfoot can; the nose angle of Blade W is too acute and is prone to breaking at the tip; the nose angle of the Lambsfoot is just right."

And, it's not just the angle of the nose, it's also how it's positioned relative to the long axis of the knife. If it were upturned, like on some curved-edge blades, it wouldn't be nearly as handy for, say, piercing clamshell packaging.

Finally, in addition to finding it to be the most practical nose of the straight-edges blades I've tried, I also find it to be the lambsfoot's nose most aesthetically pleasing.

What about y'all? What's the most lambsfooty aspect of a lambsfoot for you?

Thanks for (hopefully) starting another interesting discussion Greg. The nose of the Lambsfoot blade is certainly one of its most distinctive and unique features, and I agree with everything you say. It's strange, in a way, that there are Lambsfoot blades with a rounded nose, and others with a more angular nose. Of the two, I personally prefer the angular nose, both aesthetically, and practically. For me, possibly the thing that fascinates me most about the Lambsfoot blade is the non-parallel edge and spine, possibly because I don't really understand how that subtle feature improves the blade so much. I definitely prefer the spine to slope downwards, rather than the blade sloping upwards, but I dislike the cant one sees on badly-made examples. So for me, a Lambsfoot wouldn't be a Lambsfoot without its non-parallel edge and spine :)

Haha! I bet there's some really exquisite examples hiding out over there Jack, they are just bashful :)

Took this pair out for a picture this morning.
XFs9HhQ.jpg

There must be thousands of them tucked away Rob! Well I certainly hope so, otherwise it means that foolish people have tossed granddad's old Lambsfoot in the 'amnesty bin' o_O Great to see those two together :) :thumbsup:

You might be surprised...
Wow, I learned something new today... and I only live about 45 minutes away from there.

"A lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without..."
A Lambsfoot wouldn't be a Lambsfoot without a big, thumb-swallowing nail nick.
I've seen people try to turn other blade shapes into a Lambsfoot, but they generally lose the nail nick in the process.
No offense to the people that try it, but to me it's just not a Lambsfoot. I applaud their ingenuity, but why mess up a perfectly good knife?

I'd like to add one more...
A Lambsfoot isn't a Lambsfoot without the blade canted downwards. Or as jack said, a non-parallel edge.
As much as I love and cherish my Waynorth lamb, the perfectly straight blade and long Sway Back handle make it harder to get the tip into the material. I love the knife and still consider it a genuine Lambsfoot, but it is missing one of my favorite features of the Lambsfoot knife.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, it wasn't my intent.

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack and John. :) I need to recharge my camera batteries and take several "walking tours" with the purpose of getting pics of 3 or 4 libraries on each tour. I walked a couple of new-to-me streets last week and came up with 3 more libraries; I'm up to 2 dozen on my current list, with pics of only 5.

It sounds as if you live in a well-read community Gary :) :thumbsup:

I can relate to your statement, Barrett! :rolleyes:
I used to show up in almost every thread on The Porch, but now I only read about 6 threads semi-regularly. :(

Man Jack:
View attachment 1354453
View attachment 1354454

- GT

Same here, I post in very few threads these days. I got so far behind in the Old Knives thread that I've been frightened to even look at it for 18 months! :eek:

Nice to see the return of Man Jack ;) :thumbsup:

Definitely a distinguished daily double, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Gorgeous photo of your stag HHB, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I also miss the slower pace and lower traffic volumes of March and April. I'm still walking 6-8 miles each day, and the major streets I cross become much busier in the past month. :(

Thank you for the kind words my friend :) That's great you're still managing to get 6-8 miles in, I'm afraid I'm not covering anything like my usual regular mileage. I'm afraid the days of quiet roads are already a distant memory here, even the small side-streets are busy again :(

Really Bill that's interesting to know the US has some moorland. Apparently the UK has about 78% of the world's total of upland moorland in the world. What did you hunt? Other than vermin and small game there's no real hunting round there. It's moorland pasture so nothing more than sheep and some beef/dairy cattle round there.
Used to hunt pheasants but unfortunately most of them died out about 30 plus years ago. Also hunted rabbit and quail. Mostly small game. In certain areas like this were monster white tail deer - especially where there was water (streams/ponds).

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

A Lambsfoot wouldn't be a Lambsfoot without a big, thumb-swallowing nail nick.
I've seen people try to turn other blade shapes into a Lambsfoot, but they generally lose the nail nick in the process.
No offense to the people that try it, but to me it's just not a Lambsfoot. I applaud their ingenuity, but why mess up a perfectly good knife?

I'd like to add one more...
A Lambsfoot isn't a Lambsfoot without the blade canted downwards. Or as jack said, a non-parallel edge.
As much as I love and cherish my Waynorth lamb, the perfectly straight blade and long Sway Back handle make it harder to get the tip into the material. I love the knife and still consider it a genuine Lambsfoot, but it is missing one of my favorite features of the Lambsfoot knife.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, it wasn't my intent.

Again, without wishing to offend anyone, I'm inclined to agree with you John. I know that we've joked in the past that one day, with enough sharpening, all Sheepsfoot blades will eventually become Lambsfoot blades. I don't think they'll actually become Lambsfoot knives though, even if the form of the knife is the same as for a Lambsfoot. I have a nice old IXL, which has been sharpened enough that the spine and blade are no longer parallel. However, for me, it will always be a well-used Sheepsfoot, rather than a Lambsfoot, which is why I don't post it here. Every Lambsfoot, through sharpening, may eventually become a punch, but it'll still be a Lambsfoot, in my opinion :thumbsup:

I also like the large nail-nick found on many Lambsfoot knives, and find they make the blade much easier to open, both pinching and with a thumb-nail. I also like their aesthetics. A shallow nail-nick is something I hate on a knife :thumbsup:

John, did you have a literal stack of papers to grade? Once we moved to online classes, my students submitted photos of the pages of their tests, etc. and I graded them using a PDF "mark-up app" that allowed me to insert text boxes and draw/write using my finger on the trackpad as a "pen" (I was quite bad at the latter to start with, but my trackpad penmanship gradually improved). More time-consuming for me than having an actual stack of papers to page through and write on "traditionally".
Yes, my students did the same thing. They texted or emailed me pictures of their homework and tests.
I sent them back their grades but not the marked up samples. They never get their tests back because I don't need the answers floating around. I usually pass them back, we discuss them, and then I collect them up again. I don't trust high school students. ;):D

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: Hopefully I can rescue a few more when grandpa's heirs decide to part ways with his old Lambfoot :thumbsup:
There must be thousands of them tucked away Rob! Well I certainly hope so, otherwise it means that foolish people have tossed granddad's old Lambsfoot in the 'amnesty bin' o_O Great to see those two together :) :thumbsup:

I'm with Jack and John, I prefer the downward canted blade and I agree with Jack on the angular tip:thumbsup: I'm also a big fan of the swayback handle, the straight handle versions don't fit the hand as well in my opinion.

donn donn David I stumbled upon a fellow who lives near Sheffield who has this group in his possession, unfortunately I've not been successful prying a few out of his hands:( but I will continue to stay in touch in case he changes his mind:thumbsup: I'm really in love with the 3rd from left:)

LSt1LBm.png

That's quite the collection of quality pocket knives there isn't it. I suppose we could send the lads round to "'ave a word with 'im" for you. :D
I've got to say the 2nd from left looks a beauty; something to do with the bolsters maybe.

Thanks Greg. The link didn't work but thanks for posting it. I searched for images of Napa Valley with snow. That's quite unusual given it's low elevation but I suppose that the climate is influenced by those great looking peaks surrounding the valley. :thumbsup:

Sorry to have poked at a sore spot, David. I hope that they are able to re-open sooner than you dare hope.

Oh no Greg, sorry don't apologize sir, you didn't do anything. Just both me (and one of my brothers) know quite a bit about transmissible diseases and the relevant isolation protocols, so my blood is beginning to boil as I don't like being lied to.

The beer was good. I don't drink a lot of ESBs—I'd prefer an ordinary bitter or an IPA—but am happy that I have three more cans of it in the fridge.

The brewery describes itself as having "a mission to fuse English tradition and American audacity into a collection of beers that are full-flavored yet balanced" and I think they do a pretty good job of it. Their "London Calling", which is a bitter in their standard rotation, is very good. I also picked up "Hoppier Shade of Pale" that is what is a very nice pale ale with west-coast hops. I'll have to show a picture of that later.

Aye ESB's aren't hugely common round these parts anymore, in fact supposedly rare beer styles such as Porter and Milds are probably more common nowadays. But I do like a good ESB, but I usually only see them at beer festivals.
That's quite the marketing blurb but if the beer lives up to it the good on them. :D:thumbsup:

For those who are game, please complete this sentence: "A lambsfoot wouldn't be a lambsfoot without..." by mentioning one aspect that you personally find as either the most defining or most prized aspect of a lambsfoot.

For me there so damned easy to sharpen. :D
But also, for some reason it's easier to score in a straight line than it is with say a spear point blade.

David, that Miti-Mini Superette "traditional neighborhood convenience store" is not really very handy because their prices are so exorbitant. :eek:
On behalf of all Americans, I thank you for your kind characterization of US domestic architecture. :)
Superb photo of your horn lambsfoot, canalside! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks GT. Nice to see the Man Jack getting an outing. :thumbsup:

Used to hunt pheasants but unfortunately most of them died out about 30 plus years ago. Also hunted rabbit and quail. Mostly small game. In certain areas like this were monster white tail deer - especially where there was water (streams/ponds).

Ok Bill sounds pretty much the same then. Woodpigeon and rabbits, and Hares along with other pest birds such as Crows can be taken year round (what's termed 'General Licence' here). Then there will be pheasant (which are plentiful in the UK), and Grouse shoots on the moors when in season.
Foxes in the valleys probably to but most farmers only deal with them if they start harassing livestock (I dare say more poorly controlled domesticated dogs are shot every year than there are foxes :(). I'm not sure about deer in the valley bottoms, I dare say there is, but you've got to exercise caution for deer shoots as it's hardly wilderness and there's laws about the use of firearms and distances from roads and footpaths ect.

Scottish oatcakes from an 18th century recipe, except for the raisins. I think I'll try the proper savoury recipe next time.
5iJ8Do3.jpg

Haha! I may have to send you and Jack over to visit the lad and twist his arm a wee bit, we'll split the lot up among us:thumbsup: Those triple rat tail bolsters really are quite attactive:thumbsup:

That's quite the collection of quality pocket knives there isn't it. I suppose we could send the lads round to "'ave a word with 'im" for you. :D
I've got to say the 2nd from left looks a beauty; something to do with the bolsters maybe.

It's not a particularly good morning or a particularly bad morning here in Northeast California but I'll tell you guys and gals one thing - it's snowing !!!!!:eek: That's right. It's June 7, 2020 and snowing. And it's not just a flake or two - it's coming down. I'll post a picture of a Lambfoot knife later but for now I'm just shaking my head.

jooEcXG.jpg

Haha! I may have to send you and Jack over to visit the lad and twist his arm a wee bit, we'll split the lot up among us:thumbsup: Those triple rat tail bolsters really are quite attactive:thumbsup:

LOL! Jack is very tall gentleman as well, so he could play 'the muscle'. I can play the not-so-scrawny skinhead. :D:thumbsup:

It's not a particularly good morning or a particularly bad morning here in Northeast California but I'll tell you guys and gals one thing - it's snowing !!!!!:eek: That's right. It's June 7, 2020 and snowing. And it's not just a flake or two - it's coming down. I'll post a picture of a Lambfoot knife later but for now I'm just shaking my head.

jooEcXG.jpg

Crikey! Neither you or Greg are selling California to me at the moment. :D

jooEcXG.jpg

Wow! What is the elevation there?

Hahaha ! You guys would make quite the convincing team:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL! Jack is very tall gentleman as well, so he could play 'the muscle'. I can play the not-so-scrawny skinhead. :D:thumbsup:

Wow Ed! That's crazy, I am hiding indoors today avoiding the 95 degree and humid weather !

jooEcXG.jpg

I admit there's not much info to go on in my photo, Vince. But certain books have a "look" that's recognizable to someone who knows the book well. For example, in my pic to which you refer, although I'm not a fan of the author Peter Straub, I do recognize his (partial) name on a spine on the right side of the shelf, and I suspect someone who's crazy about his books might even recognize the book by color scheme or font or something.
Also, in that particular pic, the Dover book has an ISBN on it. I looked that up later, and found that it is for G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. Have you read any Chesterton? I'm not an expert by any means on that author, but from the little I do know, I'll bet you might like his work.
Yes, I've read Chesterton, incluing the title you mentioned. I think his most famous book is Orthodoxy. But my favourites are his books (sometimes available in one volume) on St. Francis of Assisi and St. Thomas Aquinas, two of the most fascinating individuals in history.
I have a couple of Dover chess reprints, too, I think. I do prefer algebraic notation, mainly because I like the fact that each square/location on the board has only one name/coordinate, instead of being different for White and Black. For example, in descriptive notation, the square White calls K4 is called K5 by Black, but in algebraic notation, that square is e4 for everyone. So absolute, rather than relative, coordinates. Algebraic is also a little bit more concise, and has fewer situations that need "extra notation" to remove ambiguities. But I did learn descriptive first, and I tend to think of the files on the board in descriptive terms, even while reading/using algebraic notation: I still think of, say, the c-file as the Queen's Bishop file. :rolleyes:
I never could get used to algebraic. I like seeing the board relatively. You know, some of the battles of the Civil War have different names, depending on whether you were Union or Confederate. Chess is war, after all! :D

jooEcXG.jpg
Wow! It's been in the 90's here lately, with heat indices of over 100.

Hope you enjoyed your jerky :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack. That Stingo must be something else.:):thumbsup:

Harvey's Heavenly Brace of Hartshead Barlows: (HHB)^2 :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thank you GT. Your Man Jack looks mantastic.

No offense to the people that try it, but to me it's just not a Lambsfoot.

Again, without wishing to offend anyone, I'm inclined to agree with you John.
I completely understand both you and Jack’s objections to blades surgically altered to approximate the Lamb Foot pattern. I just threw out the one knife I had that fits that description.:D

Good Afternoon Guardians.
A24B6C17-E788-439F-B6E5-BEA70252EC30_zpsbwutu1ly.jpeg

I completely understand both you and Jack’s objections to blades surgically altered to approximate the Lamb Foot pattern. I just threw out the one knife I had that fits that description.:D
I've thrown a few away myself rather than trying to sell them.
Hope you're having a great weekend, Harvey. :cool::thumbsup:

Terrible thing Ron! ;) I'm glad you're alright again now my friend, nice selection of cookies there :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, it's Sunday! That doesn't mean a great deal to me at the moment I'm afraid, but I hope you all have a good one :) :thumbsup:

vzeIdn8.jpg
Thanks Jack! I felt lost without a Lambsfoot in my pocket! I do have a weakness for cookies! Especially homemade (these were not)! That is truly a beautiful Lambsfoot Jack! :thumbsup: :)

Nice variety of cookies, Ron. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks John! :)

donn donn David I stumbled upon a fellow who lives near Sheffield who has this group in his possession, unfortunately I've not been successful prying a few out of his hands:( but I will continue to stay in touch in case he changes his mind:thumbsup: I'm really in love with the 3rd from left:)

LSt1LBm.png
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Outstanding Rob! : D

José, Ron, Dan, and John: thanks for the exquisite ebony pics! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Man Jack:
mj-mark-vflat-post-jpg.1354453

mj-pile-vflat-post-jpg.1354454
Thanks for the Ebony compliment Gary! :) Man Jack!! :thumbsup:

Blade and handle are so nicely matched on your big Pere David, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks Gary! :)

Scottish oatcakes from an 18th century recipe, except for the raisins. I think I'll try the proper savoury recipe next time.
5iJ8Do3.jpg
Very nice stag David! :thumbsup: I’m sure my wife would like to have that recipe my friend! ;) :D

Good Afternoon Guardians.
A24B6C17-E788-439F-B6E5-BEA70252EC30_zpsbwutu1ly.jpeg
Looking good Harvey! :thumbsup: :)

Back