Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I’ve got this wee Sambar in the pocket! Y’all have a safe weekend! :) :thumbsup:

50576907271_0c6a3412c1_o_d.jpg

Nice choice Ron :) :thumbsup:

Is that a Pork Pie?

Oh yes it is! There were two of them but the first got inhaled so quickly my cameras shutter speed just isn't fast enough to catch it. :D

Some really great photos from your walk, :thumbsup: David.
Good morning Guardians and all. Beautiful morning today. Cooler and low humidity here in Coastal NC.
Got this in my pocket today.
View attachment 1450807

Thanks Bill. I hope your enjoying the cooler weather.

I'd never heard of Mischief Night before I moved from South Yorkshire to West Yorkshire, and I remember looking at that Wikipedia page 10 years or so ago. It's changed an awful lots since then, fair amount of cobblers on there :rolleyes: The local Cricket Club had a great fireworks display tonight, must have cost a few bob. I've been sat out in my back garden, round a blazing fire, drinking beer and roasting sausages and marshmallows, and watching the fireworks of course :) :thumbsup:

Aye, I'd never heard of Mischief Night until I moved to Yorkshire. We don't have it on'th wrong side over here. (Saying that I know some police in Liverpool who would argue every night is mischief night :D).
Glad to hear someone put on a good show for everyone.:thumbsup: I think someone did in our nearest town, but me and my brother just had a little do in the back garden.
Got to have sparklers!
SQ8d0pB.jpg

XpBQN4U.jpg

It been a gloomy day here, the mist never lifted all day, and by 2.00pm, it looked like it was going dark. I had a walk to an area I've not been to before, but the terrain was pretty bleak, with a lot of mud throughout. I'm absolutely beat, but I'll post some pics tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a good day :) :thumbsup:

CinGgmy.jpg

Damned claggy underfoot over here as well, with all the recent rains. But it sounds like our weather was better; just a normal ordinary very still English autumn day.
Nice pic of your HHB there, look forward to your pics tomorrow. :thumbsup:
SWT8GUp.jpg

rjbWcjO.jpg

Oh yes it is! There were two of them but the first got inhaled so quickly my cameras shutter speed just isn't fast enough to catch it
I do love a good pork pie when i can get one, but it's difficult over here, but when i can i do savor them.
Great photos of your country side.

I'd never heard of Mischief Night before I moved from South Yorkshire to West Yorkshire, and I remember looking at that Wikipedia page 10 years or so ago. It's changed an awful lots since then, fair amount of cobblers on there :rolleyes: The local Cricket Club had a great fireworks display tonight, must have cost a few bob. I've been sat out in my back garden, round a blazing fire, drinking beer and roasting sausages and marshmallows, and watching the fireworks of course :)
We don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Day or Mischief Night around here, but there seem to be a lot of parties in the streets this evening. ;):D

Oh yes it is! There were two of them but the first got inhaled so quickly my cameras shutter speed just isn't fast enough to catch it. :D

LOL! :D

Aye, I'd never heard of Mischief Night until I moved to Yorkshire. We don't have it on'th wrong side over here. (Saying that I know some police in Liverpool who would argue every night is mischief night :D).
Glad to hear someone put on a good show for everyone.:thumbsup: I think someone did in our nearest town, but me and my brother just had a little do in the back garden.
Got to have sparklers!
SQ8d0pB.jpg

XpBQN4U.jpg

I bet they would David! :D :thumbsup: That's nice David, those are great pics :) I've been thinking of getting one of those storm lanterns :cool: :thumbsup:

Damned claggy underfoot over here as well, with all the recent rains. But it sounds like our weather was better; just a normal ordinary very still English autumn day.
Nice pic of your HHB there, look forward to your pics tomorrow. :thumbsup:
SWT8GUp.jpg

rjbWcjO.jpg

I was going to say 'claggy' David, but thought nobody apart from you would know what I was on about! :D Mind you, a lot of it was a lot worse than that, really torn up by off-road bikes, to the point where it was almost impossible to walk on. My trousers are in the wash, and my boots are in a right state o_O The weather looks much more pleasant there my friend :) :thumbsup:

On seeing a post from our fearless leader Jack Black Jack Black it got me thinking and salivating, thought i have not had any of those in a while, that was rectified this morning.

75rOEnl.jpg

:p:p:p;)

LOL! :D Great pic Leon, hope you enjoyed them mate :) :thumbsup:

It was rather delightful, Jack! I think I'll have another later this evening. Until then, I'll enjoy a dram of Lagavulin. Hope you all are having a good weekend so far.

HVZsjaR.jpg

Fantastic Dylan, I think I might open a bottle of Lagavulin myself this evening :) Fabulous shot with your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1451116 View attachment 1451117View attachment 1451118

Sorry for the weird uploads. My next-door neighbor took us fishing at his mother-in-law's home nearby. It was beautiful and we caught a few bass. Only two were big enough to keep.

Looks like you had a great day Joshua :) :thumbsup:

We don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Day or Mischief Night around here, but there seem to be a lot of parties in the streets this evening. ;):D

Hope you're all having a great mischief-free time Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I was in bed by 9.00pm, and still feel pretty shattered today :rolleyes: Raining today, but I have more than enough to do in the house, and plenty to catch up with here too. Have a peaceful and relaxing Sunday Guardians :) :thumbsup:

J32V2hG.jpg

Here's some pics from my walk yesterday :thumbsup:

45GehxV.jpg

We started off by cutting across the familiar Harewood Estate, taking the main path, which is always pretty busy, but then diverting through the woods, and down to Harewood Bridge, of which I've posted photos before.

rWnac2O.jpg

zhkHWc6.jpg

R5Ir3OF.jpg

kyjtkQ8.jpg

uD2edmv.jpg

TXL3rU8.jpg

9lOMK4w.jpg

m51zjfO.jpg

H59eS7d.jpg

I've not walked this section of the north bank of the River Wharfe before, and few do, we didn't see anyone else for the rest of the day. Few walkers come here at this time of the year anyway, and most walk the slightly more accessible and established paths on the other bank. There's very little in this area, apart from farmland. As you can see, the weather was rather gloomy, and it remained like that all day. Many of the trees have lost their leaves now, and the mist and stark landscape, combined with the icy waters of the fast-flowing river, made for rather stark vistas. It was very boggy underfoot, and hard going at times.

Uzhxkl0.jpg

CRlM28S.jpg

YzOpQGC.jpg

rt8HcDF.jpg

B50ahyK.jpg

9z31tlB.jpg

Last edited:
We stopped for a sandwich on a rickety wooden bridge over a small stream, and continued on through the muddy river-side fields, with the cold mist clinging to our clothes.

aWciT4u.jpg

Nw2NECD.jpg

QbUAKa5.jpg

Strangely, this deserted place once attracted hundreds of visitors on warmer days. Between the wars, before the days of cheap overseas travel, many artificial beaches were created by importing sand from the coast. This happened most famously in London, next to Tower Bridge, but here at Netherby Deep, as this section of the Wharfe is known, hundreds of tons of sand was brought all the way from Bridlington on the Yorkshire coast, and used to form a recreational spot for people from Leeds, Harrogate, and the smaller villages nearby. It was known as Kearby Sands.

HZKCjbi.jpg

The sand is gone now, and the crowds don't come here anymore. All that is left, buried beneath weeds, is the remains of a brick and stone building, which once catered to the needs of local tourists, perhaps serving teas and ice-cream. There is a basic wooden bench, possibly an old railway sleeper from the railway line which once ran across the Wharfe nearby, and a large chilling sign, on which the following can be barely read:

DANGER

This notice was erected by the grandfather of 8 year old twin boys who lost their lives here. They were last seen by the water edge. Five hundred people were here but nobody saw anything. If you care for your children please take them away. Avoid this place as you would a plague.

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

On a sunny day in 1963, Andrew and Stuart Nicholson from Leeds, were playing along with hundreds of others, while their parents sunbathed, when they suddenly disappeared. Their bodies were later found by police divers. The tragedy led to a decline in the popularity of Kearby Sands, and it is now a largely forgotten spot, with the local pub, and other ameneties long closed. All that remains is a small caravan park, which seems strangely out of place, unless you know the history of the area. I doubt that the chilling notice did much to encourage further tourism.

We sat at the spot for a while, and then continued on our way, walking along a country lane, and then back into the fields.

CxZpRQx.jpg

MAS6Ilb.jpg

The moon was out, but there wasn't much sign of the sun, and I was surprised when I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 2.00pm and not later.

O2Ctywc.jpg

EkHC2bN.jpg

Struggling back through the mud, we returned to Harewood Bridge, and a timely bus back to Leeds.

Last edited:
Back