Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Another shot of Charlie's WCLF

w3sWV1e.jpg

Good morning, Guardians, and a very Happy New Year to you all. I am sure that I am not alone in saying that 2020 will not be missed. I hope you all are keeping well and being mindful of your health - such tremendous losses last year, I would very much hate to see that trend continue into 2021.

I am sufficiently caught up here and it has been a real pleasure seeing all of your Lambsfoot knives and getting to know some of you through the personal flair you all add to your posts.

That's pretty grim Bill, I'm glad that you survived without too many scars! :eek: I had a pal, 'Big John', who worked 12 hours shifts, 7 days a week at Shardlows. He was dead just before he was 30. Not from an accident, but nobody he knew thought those long hours and hard work wasn't a factor :( :thumbsup:

I received this interesting paperwork, from 1911, as a Christmas gift :thumbsup:

Hw1jWSf.jpg

That is a fine Christmas gift, Jack, and an even finer knife. I find the patina that your Hartshead has developed to be rather inspiring. The all-steel construction of some knives, notably the Hartshead here, looks quite fetching with some good patina. I've opted to carry mine today and with my knife purchasing slowing down overall, I think I will make a regular out of her.

It is a rather soggy day today so a poorly lit indoor picture will have to do. While I was setting this up, I noted that one of my pups, Bonnie Princess Charlie, was on the hunt. She enjoys watching the birds on some of the feeders I have set up outside and I am sure she would give anything to be able to rush out there and have at them. The pic below is a few weeks old - she actually was still for this shot, gazing intently at her prey (she was not still this morning...).

4XZ9ufP.jpg

ovLaq9S.jpg

I always thought that was your riff Jer, I'm going to have to go and find it now! One of the funniest posts I've ever read :D :thumbsup:

Great pic buddy, here it is before it left Yorkshire :) :thumbsup:

hQd1Ob0.jpg

Edit Aha!! It was @Woodrow F Call ! :cool:

Jack Black: I just ran away.
Pertinux: No "just", Jack. What set you off? You started at what time?
Jack Black: Early, still dark.
Pertinux: Then something woke you, didn't it? Was it a dream? What was it?
Jack Black: I heard a strange noise.
Pertinux: What was it?
Jack Black: It was... clanging. Some kind of clanging, like a broken trash compactor.
Pertinux: What did you do?
Jack Black: I went downstairs, outside. I crept up into the barn. I was so scared to look inside, but I had to.
Pertinux: And what did you see, Jack? What did you see?
Jack Black: Lambs foot knives. The Lambs foot knives were clanging.
Pertinux: They were throwing away the stainless steel Lambs foot knives?
Jack Black: And they were clanging.
Pertinux: And you ran away?
Jack Black: No. First I tried to buy them. I... I offered money to the vendor, but they wouldn't sell. They just stood there, confused. They wouldn't sell.
Pertinux: But you could and you did, didn't you?
Jack Black: Yes. I took one Lambs foot knife, and I ran away as fast as I could.
Pertinux: Where were you going, Jack?
Jack Black: I don't know. I didn't have any food, any water and it was very cold, very cold. I thought, I thought if I could save just one, but... it was a copy. Just a copy. I didn't get more than a few miles when the sheriff's car picked me up. The vendor was so angry he sent me to live at the Pub in Yorkshire. I never saw the shop again.
That exchange is hilarious, thanks for posting it here! That's one of my favorite movies so I was reading it with all the proper inflections and accents! Great stuff!

Hey Mark, great to see you here :) Hope you're well my friend, and that you had a Happy Christmas :) :thumbsup:

Jack, my friend, good to see you! I am well and had a great Christmas, thanks and hope the same for you! I've been thinking of you and hoping you're feeling better. :thumbsup:

Helping my better half with a little project today and my Guardian Ironwood '19 helping out.
I'll try to post some pics when it's done.:thumbsup:

Happy New Year, Jack and fellow Guardians. Hope this year is a bit easier for all of us!
nlQxsDL.jpg

While I was setting this up, I noted that one of my pups, Bonnie Princess Charlie, was on the hunt. She enjoys watching the birds on some of the feeders I have set up outside and I am sure she would give anything to be able to rush out there and have at them. The pic below is a few weeks old - she actually was still for this shot, gazing intently at her prey (she was not still this morning...).
That is a beautiful dog you have there mate, she looks like she would be a good and loyal friend to have, and a good hunter and protector. I always wanted a dog when i was a kid, but my father would not let me have one till i was old enough to take full responsibility for it, he said it would be my dog and i had to look after it, it was good advise. When i turned 11 he thought i should start learn about being responsible for people and other things that relied on me, so he bought me a dog for my birthday. It was a pure bred Cocker Spaniel that still had all the breeds hunting instincts. Your'e photo reminded me so much of my dog, our house and property were his domain, and he was such a good watch dog, we had fruit trees in our backyard, and he loved nothing better than picking up a piece of fruit and having a snack when he was a bit peckish. But he hated birds, and would guard our fruit trees like a security guard, an woe behold any birds that were a bit slow on their take off when eating his fruit on the ground, he missed most, but he got the ones that miss timed their take off. When i saw your photo of Bonnie, my first thought was there is a dog that is itching to have a crack at those birds in her domain. Hope you and all your family have a safe and better year than the one just passed.:):thumbsup:.

Sorry B B.F.U I appreciate your good intentions, but I'm not able to go through your article, and point out everything that is wrong with it. Whoever told you that about the reasons for the differences between US and UK knife preferences has misinformed you I think. I would just repeat that you might want to postpone writing such an article :thumbsup:

I did not put you on my ignore list because I dislike your 'easy open' notch @L. H. S! :D You're welcome to defend it as much as you like, and if you like it fair enough, I'm just telling you that it isn't traditional to a Lambsfoot knife. The important thing about previous Lambsfoot models is that none of those cutlers felt the need to add an 'easy-open' notch (and neither did Charlie). Anyway, good luck to you, but while that might not be what you're looking for, I doubt anyone here is going to re-write your article for you :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your response! I appreciate the dialogue.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding of my previous post, where I said that I wasn't looking for anyone to rewrite my article and that I knew that the pseudo easy open modification I did wasn't the originator of me being on your ignore list.

I also appreciate all the insightful information you and others have posted in this thread and forum that I've used as references for my article. Whether or not I'm welcome to discuss here, I do enjoy reading the history of patterns and try to absorb as much as I can. The knowledge and enthusiasm is incredible.

I hope everyone has a great 2021!

Good morning, Guardians, and a very Happy New Year to you all. I am sure that I am not alone in saying that 2020 will not be missed. I hope you all are keeping well and being mindful of your health - such tremendous losses last year, I would very much hate to see that trend continue into 2021.

I am sufficiently caught up here and it has been a real pleasure seeing all of your Lambsfoot knives and getting to know some of you through the personal flair you all add to your posts.

That is a fine Christmas gift, Jack, and an even finer knife. I find the patina that your Hartshead has developed to be rather inspiring. The all-steel construction of some knives, notably the Hartshead here, looks quite fetching with some good patina. I've opted to carry mine today and with my knife purchasing slowing down overall, I think I will make a regular out of her.

It is a rather soggy day today so a poorly lit indoor picture will have to do. While I was setting this up, I noted that one of my pups, Bonnie Princess Charlie, was on the hunt. She enjoys watching the birds on some of the feeders I have set up outside and I am sure she would give anything to be able to rush out there and have at them. The pic below is a few weeks old - she actually was still for this shot, gazing intently at her prey (she was not still this morning...).

4XZ9ufP.jpg

ovLaq9S.jpg

Happy New Year Dylan, it's good to see you here my friend :) My Hartshead Barlow has patinaed just like I'd hoped it would Dylan, even though I've used it on food very little. The deep etch isn't going anywhere, and the bolsters and spring are taking on a nice patina too. They are the same C70 steel as the blade of course, but the bolsters won't have been heat-treated, and both bolsters and springs will have been polished a little more than the blade was I think. I'll look forward to seeing more of your own Hartshead Barlow, and to seeing the patina develop :) Those are two great pics, your Jacobite pup is bonny indeed :thumbsup:

That exchange is hilarious, thanks for posting it here! That's one of my favorite movies so I was reading it with all the proper inflections and accents! Great stuff!

:D :thumbsup:

Jack, my friend, good to see you! I am well and had a great Christmas, thanks and hope the same for you! I've been thinking of you and hoping you're feeling better. :thumbsup:

Helping my better half with a little project today and my Guardian Ironwood '19 helping out.
I'll try to post some pics when it's done.:thumbsup:

Happy New Year, Jack and fellow Guardians. Hope this year is a bit easier for all of us!
nlQxsDL.jpg

That's fantastic news Mark, I'm glad you had a good one, Happy New Year buddy :) My back is a lot better now thanks, and though I still have a heavy cough, I feel fine otherwise. THAT's a patina! :D Great pic :cool: I hope your project goes well :thumbsup:

That is a beautiful dog you have there mate, she looks like she would be a good and loyal friend to have, and a good hunter and protector. I always wanted a dog when i was a kid, but my father would not let me have one till i was old enough to take full responsibility for it, he said it would be my dog and i had to look after it, it was good advise. When i turned 11 he thought i should start learn about being responsible for people and other things that relied on me, so he bought me a dog for my birthday. It was a pure bred Cocker Spaniel that still had all the breeds hunting instincts. Your'e photo reminded me so much of my dog, our house and property were his domain, and he was such a good watch dog, we had fruit trees in our backyard, and he loved nothing better than picking up a piece of fruit and having a snack when he was a bit peckish. But he hated birds, and would guard our fruit trees like a security guard, an woe behold any birds that were a bit slow on their take off when eating his fruit on the ground, he missed most, but he got the ones that miss timed their take off. When i saw your photo of Bonnie, my first thought was there is a dog that is itching to have a crack at those birds in her domain. Hope you and all your family have a safe and better year than the one just passed.:):thumbsup:.

I wanted a Cocker Spaniel too, but I would have settled for any dog. It was the only thing I ever asked my father for. He said no, and I never asked him for anything again :thumbsup:

Thank you, my friend - it's good to hear about your childhood pal. I am bordering on being a crazy dog person as I have five of them :eek:, but I love them all dearly and they suit my family wonderfully.

Here is an older pic of the group of them - the younger pups on the left have gotten a wee bit bigger since then. (from left to right) Charlie, Asha, Max, Silas, and Sawyer - the first four are all rescues.

LmBzD6k.jpg

I also appreciate all the insightful information you and others have posted in this thread and forum that I've used as references for my article. Whether or not I'm welcome to discuss here, I do enjoy reading the history of patterns and try to absorb as much as I can. The knowledge and enthusiasm is incredible.

Unless I am not privy to past history, I don't see why you wouldn't be welcome to the discussions here - it is how we all learn, after all. I am not a professional writer like Jack is but I do write on occasion and I wrote regularly for a Civil War based historical newsletter awhile back. A couple of things that were demanded from me: I needed to be able to document my historical perspectives and I needed to be able to cite my sources. Conjecture could be used at a minimum, just so long as it was educated conjecture and all research avenues had been largely exhausted.

With regards to the Lambsfoot, I don't think you will find a more exhaustive collection of information, data, and context as you will find in this thread. Otherwise, I would concur with Jack's advice - if you are going to write up something for your blog, I would stick with the concrete "knowns", cite them accordingly, and let your readers know that there is still a lot to be discovered pertaining to its history as a knife pattern.

Happy New Year Dylan, it's good to see you here my friend :) My Hartshead Barlow has patinaed just like I'd hoped it would Dylan, even though I've used it on food very little. The deep etch isn't going anywhere, and the bolsters and spring are taking on a nice patina too. They are the same C70 steel as the blade of course, but the bolsters won't have been heat-treated, and both bolsters and springs will have been polished a little more than the blade was I think. I'll look forward to seeing more of your own Hartshead Barlow, and to seeing the patina develop :) Those are two great pics, your Jacobite pup is bonny indeed :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. I do think the Hartshead Barlows are brilliant pieces of work and I do myself a disservice by not carrying it more regularly. I do have to admit though, one of the primary reasons why it hasn't made it into my pocket more frequently in the past is the fact that it isn't a Swayback. But 2020, as ugly a year as it was, was a bountiful knife year and opened my eyes to a lot of different things. I expect that the Hartshead will prove to be a most worthy and useful companion and with the way that the Stag is hafted, it makes for a very comfortable knife in the hand.

We've just gone into another national lockdown here, as infection rates are 40% higher than they were in April, and have gone up 30% in the last week (since Christmas). Kids were told to go back to school today, told to stay at home tomorrow :mad:

U3rMp4a.jpg

Here is an older pic of the group of them - the younger pups on the left have gotten a wee bit bigger since then. (from left to right) Charlie, Asha, Max, Silas, and Sawyer - the first four are all rescues.

LmBzD6k.jpg

Unless I am not privy to past history, I don't see why you wouldn't be welcome to the discussions here - it is how we all learn, after all. I am not a professional writer like Jack is but I do write on occasion and I wrote regularly for a Civil War based historical newsletter awhile back. A couple of things that were demanded from me: I needed to be able to document my historical perspectives and I needed to be able to cite my sources. Conjecture could be used at a minimum, just so long as it was educated conjecture and all research avenues had been largely exhausted.

With regards to the Lambsfoot, I don't think you will find a more exhaustive collection of information, data, and context as you will find in this thread. Otherwise, I would concur with Jack's advice - if you are going to write up something for your blog, I would stick with the concrete "knowns", cite them accordingly, and let your readers know that there is still a lot to be discovered pertaining to its history as a knife pattern.

Thank you, Jack. I do think the Hartshead Barlows are brilliant pieces of work and I do myself a disservice by not carrying it more regularly. I do have to admit though, one of the primary reasons why it hasn't made it into my pocket more frequently in the past is the fact that it isn't a Swayback. But 2020, as ugly a year as it was, was a bountiful knife year and opened my eyes to a lot of different things. I expect that the Hartshead will prove to be a most worthy and useful companion and with the way that the Stag is hafted, it makes for a very comfortable knife in the hand.

That's a fantastic pic Dylan, it reminds me of a few films I've seen! :D I went out with a girl years ago, who had 5 dogs and a white cat - still trying to get the cat hairs off my clothes! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend, I wish we could have got more of them. I was planning one in ebony, but my sample was terrible, badly ground, and I had to use pliers to get the blade open :thumbsdown:

I do think the Lambsfoot blade works much better in a Swayback frame, and I have no idea why the Hartshead Barlow has taken over my pocket to the extent it has! :eek: :D The thick Sambar stag definitely makes it feel good in-hand in my opinion :thumbsup:

Hey, check out the KOTY thread again ;) :thumbsup:

I am bordering on being a crazy dog person as I have five of them :eek:, but I love them all dearly and they suit my family wonderfully.

I am not bordering on being a crazy dog person, i am one.:eek:, Since i can remember i have just loved dogs, and after witnessing some human behavior, i could sometimes gladly replace the human race with dogs.o_O:rolleyes::D. And mate, you have a beautiful family of pooches there, i can tell they are good dogs, just from the photo. Thanks for posting, i'd better throw in a knife, even if it is a rehashed pic.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
9QeMisp.jpg

xX90rNP.jpg

This isn't bad, despite the rather odd name, which I thought I should explain :) CAMRA are the Campaign For Real Ale, a campaigning organisation, which a few decades back, achieved a great deal here in terms of saving traditional ales and traditional pubs. With most of their dragons slain, they tend to be regarded, by some at least, as a haven for irritating beer bores. Every now and again (in normal times), you'd bump into a small group of bespectacled bearded men in their 60's, wearing corduroy jackets, and carrying notebooks. They'd stagger into a pub, with an air of self-importance, sniff around the bar, talking conspiratorially, demand to 'taste' half a dozen ales, take notes on them, then 30 minutes later, with the bar-staff pulling their hair out, and other customers seething, they'd each (seperately) order a half-pint, and return to their note-books. That's an Obvious CAMRA Outing! o_O:rolleyes:

jUcZu5y.jpg

Left over from Christmas obviously, this is heavy, complex, delicious, if somewhat sweet. And it has a good name! :)

hpaUrgq.jpg

Well, it is Monday! :rolleyes: Peregrin Peregrin , my friend, if I start ranting about shooting certain members of the British Parliament, it's the Cake Stout talking, (and I haven't had a gun since the 80's), so I'd be grateful if you wouldn't mind locking the thread until I wake up on the kitchen floor in the morning ;) :thumbsup:

That's a fantastic pic Dylan, it reminds me of a few films I've seen! :D I went out with a girl years ago, who had 5 dogs and a white cat - still trying to get the cat hairs off my clothes! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend, I wish we could have got more of them. I was planning one in ebony, but my sample was terrible, badly ground, and I had to use pliers to get the blade open :thumbsdown:

I do think the Lambsfoot blade works much better in a Swayback frame, and I have no idea why the Hartshead Barlow has taken over my pocket to the extent it has! :eek: :D The thick Sambar stag definitely makes it feel good in-hand in my opinion :thumbsup:

Hey, check out the KOTY thread again ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the heads up, Jack.

A Hartshead clad in Ebony would have been a real treat - such a shame that things have gone they way they have. That said, plenty of fine knives to appreciate - we know Wrights can produce the quality, it's just the consistency and integrity that appear to be lacking.

I am not bordering on being a crazy dog person, i am one.:eek:, Since i can remember i have just loved dogs, and after witnessing some human behavior, i could sometimes gladly replace the human race with dogs.o_O:rolleyes::D. And mate, you have a beautiful family of pooches there, i can tell they are good dogs, just from the photo. Thanks for posting, i'd better throw in a knife, even if it is a rehashed pic.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
9QeMisp.jpg

There is a lot of truth in the adage, "Dogs make the best people".

4zdiWuw.jpg

Thank you for the heads up, Jack.

A Hartshead clad in Ebony would have been a real treat - such a shame that things have gone they way they have. That said, plenty of fine knives to appreciate - we know Wrights can produce the quality, it's just the consistency and integrity that appear to be lacking.

There is a lot of truth in the adage, "Dogs make the best people".

4zdiWuw.jpg

I'm glad to get my cap back mate! :D :thumbsup:

You have got it there my friend, look at this edge :eek: o_O :mad: :thumbsdown:

NRTc14E.jpg

Uhh1BpH.jpg

That is a STUNNING photo Dylan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

so I'd be grateful if you wouldn't mind locking the thread until I wake up on the kitchen floor in the morning ;) :thumbsup:
Jack, just make sure your pillow and blanket are on the floor before you settle down. I'd hate to see you catch a chill!

Back