Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks again for your response! I appreciate the dialogue.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding of my previous post, where I said that I wasn't looking for anyone to rewrite my article and that I knew that the pseudo easy open modification I did wasn't the originator of me being on your ignore list.

I also appreciate all the insightful information you and others have posted in this thread and forum that I've used as references for my article. Whether or not I'm welcome to discuss here, I do enjoy reading the history of patterns and try to absorb as much as I can. The knowledge and enthusiasm is incredible.

I hope everyone has a great 2021!

Hi Logan, I just read your blog and watched your You Tube video.

I think it was presented in a mature, friendly and down to earth manner.

You come across as an honest enthusiast of the pattern who is looking for more knowledge and sharing your "Knife Thoughts" :)
I liked how you linked to the posts on this thread that pertain to the topics, it made it easier for me to read them :thumbsup: .( I have searched online several times on the history of the pattern and can not find much apart from the content on our thread )

I think you framed your presentation in a way that is very clear to the viewer/reader that a lot of it may be just conjecture on your part.

I see that the conversation has already started in the comments section ( a viewer thinks the pattern was already available in the early 1800's ) which is the great thing about You Tube so you can interact with your viewership and we can all learn that way.

While I don't know much about the history of the pattern what I know is that I LOVE my lambsfoot :thumbsup: :).

The way it fits in my hand, the beauty in the shape of a well executed blade and it's usefulness appeal to me very much.
My ebony lamb has been my faithful companion for a year and half on many walks and adventures.

Thanks and Happy New Year to you too :)

And now this one, it is a lambs foot but the tip end doesn't look like the beautiful pictures posted here.
Rogers-0142-720x480.jpg

Hello all, I've been drooling....I mean reading this thread from page 1 and I'm cutting to the last page to ask for your help. Does this barlow have a lambsfoot blade or am I dreaming? The seller calls it a wharnecliffe.
1606157789_3361_1.jpg

And now this one, it is a lambs foot but the tip end doesn't look like the beautiful pictures posted here.
Rogers-0142-720x480.jpg

Hi there, I'll go ahead and comment on these. The first picture that you posted is neither a wharncliffe or a Lambsfoot - rather, it looks like a sheepfoot blade. I know it's a bit tricky to determine, especially when one is just starting to get familiar with the pattern. What you want to look for is that taper that sets a Lambsfoot apart from a sheepfoot blade.

A Lambsfoot blade has a noticable taper from tang to tip where a sheepfoot's lines run parallel. Your second picture would certainly be considered a Lambsfoot, in my opinion, despite its angular look.

I hope you won't mind me posting this pic, Jack Black Jack Black , I've cropped it to only show the blades - I think it highlights some of the differences between the blade forms.

(Top to bottom) Wharncliffe, sheepfoot, sheepfoot, and Lambsfoot.

qXyeWvW.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to get my cap back mate! :D :thumbsup:

You have got it there my friend, look at this edge :eek: o_O :mad: :thumbsdown:

NRTc14E.jpg

Uhh1BpH.jpg

That is a STUNNING photo Dylan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack!

This evening, I gave my Hartshead the typical treatment that I give knives that I am preparing to carry more regularly. I gave her a flush and mineral oil bath and put her to the stones to remove the factory bur. I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with the stones so I examined the bevels a little more closely - they are pretty wonky... So I got out my diamond plates and set to work on getting a proper profile. I didn't get it perfect due to potentially having to remove a lot of metal but I did get it in very serviceable shape and the bevels will correct even further with future sharpening sessions.

After cleaning her up, I gave her an inaugural cutting task - she performed admirably.

wVmsh4s.jpg

DWe6PXR.jpg

Hi there, I'll go ahead and comment on these. The first picture that you posted is neither a wharncliffe or a Lambsfoot - rather, it looks like a sheepfoot blade. I know it's a bit tricky to determine, especially when one is just starting to get familiar with the pattern. What you want to look for is that taper that sets a Lambsfoot apart from a sheepfoot blade.

A Lambsfoot blade has a noticable taper from tang to tip where a sheepfoot's lines run parallel. Your second picture would certainly be considered a Lambsfoot, in my opinion, despite its angular look.

I hope you won't mind me posting this pic, Jack Black Jack Black , I've cropped it to only show the blades - I think it highlights some of the differences between the blade forns.

qXyeWvW.jpg
I see, said the blind man! Thank you very much for the explanation, seeing the three blades next to one another makes it clear. I did order the one in the first picture, it is too pretty of a knife to pass. Now I'll go running to order the one in the second picture. I'll become a lambs foot owner soon enough. I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I get them. Thank you again and many thanks to the OP and all those contributing to this excellent thread. Happy New year to you all, stay healthy!

Hello all, I've been drooling....I mean reading this thread from page 1 and I'm cutting to the last page to ask for your help. Does this barlow have a lambsfoot blade or am I dreaming? The seller calls it a wharnecliffe.
1606157789_3361_1.jpg

How far did you actually get? That isn't a Wharncliffe, and it isn't a Barlow either :thumbsup:

( a viewer thinks the pattern was already available in the early 1800's )

I assume there's no reference for that claim? :rolleyes: Unfortunately, the internet is full of chatter and speculation about any subject, and 90% of what I've read elsewhere about traditional knife patterns is rubbish unfortunately. Not that good information can't be found, but sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees, simply because the internet is such a big place. Bladeforums is by far the best source of information available in my experience :thumbsup:

I hope you won't mind me posting this pic, Jack Black Jack Black , I've cropped it to only show the blades - I think it highlights some of the differences between the blade forns.

qXyeWvW.jpg

That's very helpful Dylan :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you, Jack!

This evening, I gave my Hartshead the typical treatment that I give knives that I am preparing to carry more regularly. I gave her a flush and mineral oil bath and put her to the stones to remove the factory bur. I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with the stones so I examined the bevels a little more closely - they are pretty wonky... So I got out my diamond plates and set to work on getting a proper profile. I didn't get it perfect due to potentially having to remove a lot of metal but I did get it in very serviceable shape and the bevels will correct even further with future sharpening sessions.

After cleaning her up, I gave her an inaugural cutting task - she performed admirably.

wVmsh4s.jpg

DWe6PXR.jpg

Nice work Dylan, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your excellent photos :) :thumbsup:

I see, said the blind man! Thank you very much for the explanation, seeing the three blades next to one another makes it clear. I did order the one in the first picture, it is too pretty of a knife to pass. Now I'll go running to order the one in the second picture. I'll become a lambs foot owner soon enough. I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I get them. Thank you again and many thanks to the OP and all those contributing to this excellent thread. Happy New year to you all, stay healthy!

Happy New Year B brewbear :) I hope you'll come back and show us your Lambsfoot when you get it :thumbsup:

How far did you actually get? That isn't a Wharncliffe, and it isn't a Barlow either :thumbsup:
In truth, I'm on page three:confused: but I just HAD to have one of these beautiful knives. I really don't know much about traditional folders and even less about lambs foot knives but I enjoy learning. The Hartshead ones are works of functional art and I keep my eyes peeled to maybe catch one eventually. Between my previous post and this one I managed to scoot over and buy the one in the second picture I posted, so in about a week or so I should have it. My thanks to the people that indexed the posts in this thread, it is an excellent idea, the index page is now bookmarked.

Last edited:
I assume there's no reference for that claim? ;)

The person does not provide a reference to which @L.H.S replied asking " Do you have catalogues or anything like that showing the Lambfoot (not sheepfoot / wharncliffe / short beak) in the early 1800s or before? "
It will be interesting to see if the viewer can back up his/her claim.

In truth, I'm on page three:confused: but I just HAD to have one of these beautiful knives. I really don't know much about traditional folders and even less about lambs foot knives but I enjoy learning. The Hartshead ones are works of functional art and I keep my eyes peeled to maybe catch one eventually. Between my previous post and this one I managed to scoot over and buy the one in the second picture I posted, so in about a week or so I should have it.

The early part of the thread is a mine of information and interesting discussion I think, but if you get weary, or are looking for an answer to a specific question, don't miss the thread index linked to in post #1. I hope you're happy with your first Lambsfoot, the knives carrying the Joseph Rodgers name today are not of the same quality as they were historically in my experience, but it looks very nice in the photo you showed. I'd be grateful if you only posted photos of Lambsfoot knives here in future :) :thumbsup:

The person does not provide a reference to which @L.H.S replied asking " Do you have catalogues or anything like that showing the Lambfoot (not sheepfoot / wharncliffe / short beak) in the early 1800s or before? "
It will be interesting to see if the viewer can back up his/her claim.

We have members here with catalogue collections that are among the best private collections in the world I think, and the search for early Lambsfoot knives has been very extensive. I am always looking for more information about the pattern, (it keeps me awake at night), but in respect of the time frame, I have to say that I'm fairly satisfied that we've already nailed the emergence of the Lambsfoot to the latter part of the 19th century, and that that claim is evidence-based :thumbsup:

We have members here with catalogue collections that are among the best private collections in the world I think, and the search for early Lambsfoot knives has been very extensive. I am always looking for more information about the pattern, (it keeps me awake at night), but in respect of the time frame, I have to say that I'm fairly satisfied that we've already nailed the emergence of the Lambsfoot to the latter part of the 19th century, and that that claim is evidence-based :thumbsup:

I completely trust your knowledge regarding the lambsfoot Jack :thumbsup: and
find conversations and discourse about the lambsfoot history very rewarding

I completely trust your knowledge regarding the lambsfoot Jack :thumbsup: and
find conversations and discourse about the lambsfoot history very rewarding

Still learning Dan, and I have been very reliant on @herder in particular for his research in terms of the inclusion of the Lambsfoot pattern in old cutlery catalogues on both sides of The Pond. Many folks have contributed to our collective knowledge of the pattern :) When this pandemic is finally over I hope to continue my research in the archive collections held in Sheffield. Yes indeed, much as I enjoy talking about everything from pies to the weather, it's good when there's some proper Lambsfoot discussion here again my friend! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, as I mentioned last night we are back in lockdown here in the UK, though I no longer know what the term lockdown actually means, since the rules change constantly. However, we are certainly due to be under stricter controls than we have been since June. For me, it means that it might be a while before I can travel out of the city to the countryside, so I'll have to either stay indoors, or get my exercise tramping the streets. Looks like it's going to be like this until March now :( I hope everyone else's week is going well so far, and that you continue to take care and stay safe.

I thought I'd carry another of the Lambsfoot knives @Reaper AL kindly gifted me today. This is the African Blackwood version that @jsdistin re-built and re-covered :) I think he did a great job :thumbsup:

x0udziz.jpg

Yesterday. With the final morsel of Christmas cake.:(
PtXND4n.jpg

wW02Qx1.jpg

You must have been sorry to see the end of your Christmas cake David, fine as it looks :( Two great-looking beers too mate :) :thumbsup:

Back