Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks Jack. I have no idea how I picked up the COVID but of the dozens of folk that I came in contact with none have had any symptoms including my wife Kathi. I received a phone call from "Contact Tracing" and was asked about who I had contact with for ten days prior to my symptoms. They then said I could have gotten from the gasoline pump handle or anywhere:confused:. A good thing is my sense of taste and smell is slowly returning. I hadn't been very hungry for the past days and you would think that I could lose a few unwanted pounds from the old waistline but no. I realize that your cherry pie might not be the best you've had but I would kill to be able to taste it:rolleyes:! Maybe a bit better with a little vanilla ice cream:D?

That's incredible Bill :( I know other folks who have also had it, despite being super careful :( I have also had that experience of thinking the same when I've been ill, only to discover that I haven't lost a pound! :rolleyes: I might try sticking the pie in the oven for a bit longer, the pastry is mostly soft and barely cooked, and I don't want to get an upset stomach from it. I lost my sense of taste, after taking some medication, about 15 years ago. I was so glad when it came back a few months later, really takes a lot of the fun out of life. My mate had the same experience with Covid, but his sense of smell and taste came back in a few weeks. I hope you can celebrate with pie and ice-cream soon Bill :) :thumbsup:

Looks like interesting nighttime reading:D. Very nice pile side photo of your fabulous HHB:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Bill :) :thumbsup:

It's rare that I get the time to read, for pleasure, during the day, but I enjoy it when I get the chance :)

dQvUgwf.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of that. My gut said if M.May sent a fine example of his work to a widely known video reviewer and the reviewer found obvious fault ... his efforts would be "luck of the draw", like so many others. While no knife is perfect, I'm just searching for consistent quality in a proper and attractive traditional English work knife. Some of y'all may have gotten ALL of them I'm afraid LOL.

I bought one this year and all was good with it. I don't know how sharp it was on receipt because I always sharpen to my liking immediately.

-Mel

I bought one this year and all was good with it. I don't know how sharp it was on receipt because I always sharpen to my liking immediately.

-Mel

Good news Mel, while I think knives should be sold sharp, it is not something I look for when buying a knife. I think that's common among traditional knife lovers too, most of us look for even grinds, rather than sharp edges. Like yourself, I'd rather sharpen a knife to my liking, than have some fool mess up the edge o_O :thumbsup:

cPxwWnJ.jpg

I'd rather sharpen a knife to my liking, than have some fool mess up the edge
Amen to that! I'm not a fan of the 20+ degree exclusive edges I see on many of the new pocket knives so I re-profile them to 15 degrees exclusive. I did learn (don't ask, it is embarrassing) not to sharpen a blade before working/cleaning/ oil flushing the joints:(:confused:

EDIT: ...
L to R: Congress, Swell Center Congress, Senator, Shadow,
Equal End Cattle, Vaquero, Premium Stock, Physician's, & Wharncliffe

0C2Wk7W.jpg

Can I ask where that's from? And when? Never heard of one called a Vaquero before, and im intrigued to see/know more. :)

It also gives new name to what I've been seeing called a humpback equal end, among other things, usually in whittler blade set, swell center congress.

Very interesting!

(Sorry for the topic drift gents!)

Pile side. Guardians, please pay scant attention to the wavy backspring ... high/proud in the middle (used to be higher but I "massaged" it) and sunken at the blade tang.
I could not have ordered it that way had I tried ... or worse
Still functions remarkably well and I do like this pitiful little knife. Besides, if ever in a bind, I'd likely get a pint for it. Cheers, A.Wright & Son
... now if only I could find a chiropractor

lrE9mqJ.jpg

Last edited:
Can I ask where that's from? And when? Never heard of one called a Vaquero before, and im intrigued to see/know more. :)

It also gives new name to what I've been seeing called a humpback equal end, among other things, usually in whittler blade set, swell center congress.

Very interesting!

Here's the link to the site. Even shows the Anglo Saxon, Jack mentioned ... http://knifecollector.net/PocketKnifePatterns.html :)

I could not have ordered it that way had I tried
You should try to order a second one just like that! When they tell you they can't do it, tell them they did on this one and you wanted a matched set:confused:
Seriously, I'm pretty disappointed with the W.A. knives. Uneven sides on stag, uneven grinds and I'd be shocked if I received one with perfect - or close to- factory grind. At least three of them had the blade tip sitting just high enough to pinch your finger with the knife closed.... May's knives were considered until I read the last couple of pages here (thank you all for that). It seems that our only hope for a stellar knife worthy of Lambsfoot name rests with SFO from Waynorth Cutlery.

Last edited:
You should try to order a second one just like that! When they tell you they can't do it, tell them they did on this one and you wanted a matched set:confused:
Seriously, I'm pretty disappointed with the W.A. knives. Uneven sides on stag, uneven grinds and I'd be shocked if I received one with perfect - or close to- factory grind. At least three of them had the blade tip sitting just high enough to pinch your finger with the knife closed.... May's knives were considered until I read the last couple of pages here (thank you all for that). It seems that our only hope for a stellar knife worthy of Lambsfoot name rests with SFO
MOST English knives WERE working men's knives. They weren't meant to be presentation or museum grade. Nothing that wasn't needed, they just worked. I get that. But when you spend the time to mirror polish the blade, file work the backspring and do the fancy work to the liner edges (forget what it's called now) ... one MIGHT expect higher F/F than a card knife. Sadly, no. There was a time when Sheffield was world renowned and every cutler across the globe tried to emulate the quality and hallmark of a Sheffield knife ... what the heck happened ?!?!?! (no need to answer. I think I know ... somewhat)

Last edited:
I thought I'd pocket one of the knives @Reaper AL gifted me today, a Sheffield Lambsfoot re-built by @jsdistin , and re-covered in giraffe bone.
Oh I really like that bone Jack. :eek: Very nice indeed!

José i will never get enough of looking at the stag on that knife. :cool: It is so mellow, rich, creamy... I love it.

Yep Bro Jim ya better run from Mr May...;)

IMG_1266.jpg IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1341.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning everyone and Happy Easter to all. Our esteemed member Rachel got me with her April Fools Day gag, my first thought was " She Has Completely Lost It ".:eek:. Hope anyone who is travelling for the holidays takes it easy and looks after themselves and their families. We have had the hottest Good Friday in 50 years, according to our weather bureau, but i don't have much faith in them. Here are some Good Friday treats, and they are good, enjoy your day.:).
yygtTN8.jpg

3Bk2icq.jpg

Very interesting!

Here's the link to the site. Even shows the Anglo Saxon, Jack mentioned ... http://knifecollector.net/PocketKnifePatterns.html :)

If there's anymore to be said, please have this discussion privately, or in another thread gents. It's one of the reasons I ask people not to post pics of other patterns here. In this case, I know it was done as part of a Lambsfoot discussion, but see how easily it can lead on to discussing other patterns? Thanks for understanding :thumbsup:

Pile side. Guardians, please pay scant attention to the wavy backspring ... high/proud in the middle (used to be higher but I "massaged" it) and sunken at the blade tang.
I could not have ordered it that way had I tried ... or worse
Still functions remarkably well and I do like this pitiful little knife. Besides, if ever in a bind, I'd likely get a pint for it. Cheers, A.Wright & Son
... now if only I could find a chiropractor

lrE9mqJ.jpg

The worst thing, for me, about this knife is that Wright's sell it as part of their "Premier" range. It's their most expensive Lambsfoot pattern, yet, despite the file-work, and the relatively high price, it's no better put together than their other knives, and often worse. Here's some photos of the first one I had from them (which the old gaffer replaced). There wasn't much RIGHT with it o_O

xxw8CLR.jpg

2kSNKdT.jpg

yyBvBC3.jpg

M3RK3Gb.jpg

3JoDq1U.jpg

HBmceeA.jpg

It took a huge amount of effort and persistence to get them to produce some knives of decent quality, and still around 20% had to be rejected. I had hoped that, when the firm was taken over by a cutler, standards would improve further, but they have dropped alarmingly, as have their business practices. I certainly wouldn't buy another knife from them :thumbsdown:

Seriously, I'm pretty disappointed with the W.A. knives. Uneven sides on stag, uneven grinds and I'd be shocked if I received one with perfect - or close to- factory grind. At least three of them had the blade tip sitting just high enough to pinch your finger with the knife closed.... May's knives were considered until I read the last couple of pages here (thank you all for that). It seems that our only hope for a stellar knife worthy of Lambsfoot name rests with SFO from Waynorth Cutlery.

It sounds like you had far more misses than hits Ted :( Who is going to buy a knife from a company who can't do better than that?! o_O The thing that really annoys me about Wright's is that they ARE capable of producing better knives, yet they're happy to turn out garbage :thumbsdown:

MOST English knives WERE working men's knives. They weren't meant to be presentation or museum grade. Nothing that wasn't needed, they just worked. I get that. But when you spend the time to mirror polish the blade, file work the backspring and do the fancy work to the liner edges (forget what it's called now) ... one MIGHT expect higher F/F than a card knife. Sadly, no. There was a time when Sheffield was world renowned and every cutler across the globe tried to emulate the quality and hallmark of a Sheffield knife ... what the heck happened ?!?!?! (no need to answer. I think I know ... somewhat)

Sheffield produced knives of all types in the past, including exhibition knives of dazzling quality. If they hadn't produced great knives they wouldn't have eclipsed the other English cutlery centres, and dominated the world for at least a century in that respect. That was a long time ago though, and quality has been in decline since at least WW2, and arguably since WW1. Unfortunately, as has been discussed here many times, the factory owners never invested in the trade, they paid the lowest wages and demanded cutlers rush out knives. When the Sheffield cutlery trades were fighting for their existence against cheap foreign imports, most firms chose to make CHEAPER knives, rather than BETTER knives (sadly, it's arguable that's what most people wanted). Standards dropped, as did wages, firms went to the wall. Few able lads went into the trade, and the few who did were trained by increasingly mediocre cutlers, who were struggling to earn a living on appalling piece-rates. They learned bad ways, and became poor craftsmen themselves. Now there is virtually nothing left of the historic Sheffield knife industry, with only a handful of cutlers capable of producing a decent knife :(

Oh I really like that bone Jack. :eek: Very nice indeed!

View attachment 1538405 View attachment 1538406 View attachment 1538408

Thank you my friend, I enjoyed carrying it :) Spectacular photos of that gorgeous knife :) :thumbsup:

Good morning everyone and Happy Easter to all. Our esteemed member Rachel got me with her April Fools Day gag, my first thought was " She Has Completely Lost It ".:eek:. Hope anyone who is travelling for the holidays takes it easy and looks after themselves and their families. We have had the hottest Good Friday in 50 years, according to our weather bureau, but i don't have much faith in them. Here are some Good Friday treats, and they are good, enjoy your day.:).
yygtTN8.jpg

3Bk2icq.jpg

@r8shell outdid herself this year! :D Happy Easter Leon, I hope you enjoyed your Hot Cross Buns :) I had just put my toast in the toaster this morning, and I spotted mine :rolleyes: I'll have to have a couple later ;) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone has had a good week :) I have, and I had a few beers last night, including one of the birthday beers @donn sent me :) It went down great! :thumbsup:

UJauDfr.jpg

I usually have something exciting planned for Easter, but like many of us, I can't travel this year, again :( It's been a bit cooler the past couple of days, and - typically - we have some rain forecast o_O I'm hoping we don't see too much of it, as I want to sit outdoors and drink beer! :D Have a good day Guardians. I'm back with my Hartshead Barlow today :thumbsup:

6E50dzP.jpg

Back