Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

What a day! Had a small road trip, had lunch with my mom and new knives when i got home!! Here is the star of the show today! Right into my pocket. 20210616_165352_copy_756x1008.jpg20210616_165411_copy_756x1008.jpgthe stag is beautiful!! I wasn't a guardian when these were made but Thank you Jack black for making these happen!!

Hey Jack Black and Guardians!
Kudos on the 50K milestone. Fitting for such a timeless and classic knife, and a great achievement for it’s premier ambassador.
My first in-hand exposure to the Lambfoot was when Harry, aka: Old Engineer Old Engineer handed me his lovely old Taylor’s Eye Witness, saying “careful! It’ll bite you”. (A lesson I might have learned later ~ you better watch that long, sharp tip!)
If I recall correctly, that was the show at which Harry showed his big TEW to the custom knifemakers there challenging them to make a LF.
It is also what prompted me to look for a TEW LF of my own. And led me to this thread.

I have loved reading through the remembrances of our friend Ron~ thank you for a fitting tribute in the form of your giveaway, Jack!

I broke bread with Ron and Pam twice, and my favorite memory is how Ron always saw fit to say grace before eating. A friendly and generous man with a deep faith guiding him.

This is not an entry, Jack. I have a knife Ron gave me to remember him, There are many here who knew him and communicated with him much longer than I, and it would be great if one of them who does not have one of his knives wins your knife to remember him by.

Cheers, and REST IN PEACE, Ron.8D31C468-9D4B-4B15-8253-A674573A56AD.jpeg

Last edited:
losV0Ah.jpg
Awesome! 🤠 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm 69 years old now, so only new to an ever growing smaller number of things.:confused:
I know the feeling :) There's a word in your post which is several centuries older than both of us, but it isn't acceptable here. Some members like to read through the posts with their kids or grand-kids, and some of those youngsters do so independently, and while that language might be acceptable to a couple of old @$£s like us, it isn't acceptable to everyone, and contravenes the sub-forum guidelines, which you really ought to read before you get yourself into some more of that deep stuff ;) If you want to learn about the Lambsfoot pattern, start here, and keep reading, but please edit your post :thumbsup:
What a day! Had a small road trip, had lunch with my mom and new knives when i got home!! Here is the star of the show today! Right into my pocket. View attachment 1584027View attachment 1584028the stag is beautiful!! I wasn't a guardian when these were made but Thank you Jack black for making these happen!!
Sounds like a great day Kevin :) Those Barlows don't get re-sold very often, I hope you didn't get taken to the cleaners! :thumbsup:
Hey Jack Black and Guardians!
Kudos on the 50K milestone. Fitting for such a timeless and classic knife, and a great achievement for it’s premier ambassador.
My first in-hand exposure to the Lambfoot was when Harry, aka: Old Engineer Old Engineer handed me his lovely old Taylor’s Eye Witness, saying “careful! It’ll bite you”. (A lesson I might have learned later ~ you better watch that long, sharp tip!)
If I recall correctly, that was the show at which Harry showed his big TEW to the custom knifemakers there challenging them to make a LF.
It is also what prompted me to look for a TEW LF of my own. And led me to this thread.

I have loved reading through the remembrances of our friend Ron~ thank you for a fitting tribute in the form of your giveaway, Jack!

I broke bread with Ron and Pam twice, and my favorite memory is how Ron always saw fit to say grace before eating. A friendly and generous man with a deep faith guiding him.

This is not an entry, Jack. I have a knife Ron gave me to remember him, There are many here who knew him and communicated with him much longer than I, and it would be great if one of them who does not have one of his knives wins your knife to remember him by.

Cheers, and REST IN PEACE, Ron.View attachment 1584029
Thanks a lot Jeff :) That's a great story about Harry's Lambsfoot :D :cool: That's great you were able to sit down with Pam and Ron my friend, happy memories :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack for your kind consideration of Froggy. He is still living the dream! :cool:
I could never understand why his previous owner wanted shot of him, he's such a great-looking knife! :) :thumbsup:

The Ron Half/Stop Memorial Giveaway

I never imagined, when I started this thread, on June 26th 2016, almost 5 years ago, that it would run to 50,000 posts, only very rarely slipping off The Porch front-page. Things are certainly quieter here than they were a few years back, when everyone was posting pics of their SFOs, and I was struggling to keep up with all the posts made while I was fast asleep in Yorkshire, but we’ve still made it to this great milestone. So thanks to everyone who has helped us get here, particularly our longstanding regular members. Thanks for making this thread the great place it is to hang-out :thumbsup:

As everyone here knows, less than a year ago, we lost one of our greatest contributors, Ron @Half/Stop, who I know is still greatly missed by those of us lucky enough to have counted him as a friend. Ron loved Lambsfoot knives, but he had a particular fondness for the large-bladed Big ‘Un, and always wanted a large Lambsfoot SFO with ebony covers. Before the change of ownership at A. Wright & Son, I had hoped to get a run of Big ‘Uns made for our annual Guardians knife, and while that wasn’t to be, I did get a short run of 10 made up with Bagpipe Ebony covers. They were the last knives I had made by Wright’s, and the ebony wasn’t as black as I had been promised, and half the blades were off-centre, so I gave most of them away. Ron had the first pick though, and that knife was, sadly, the last knife I gifted him before he passed away.

When I noticed we were rapidly approaching 50,000 posts, I was searching round for a suitable prize, and was surprised to come across a knife from that run. Sadly, the blade is slightly off-centre, but I hope it’s acceptable as a suitable prize in my Ron Half/Stop Memorial Giveaway. It does bear the tang-stamp of the firm who made it, but I think they’ve had enough publicity from me, and considering their rather despicable behaviour, I resent them filching pics from the Guardians thread to use in their publicity material, so I’m not showing it.

VRPgGzw.jpg

SxCw0z3.jpg

The giveaway is open to any member of Bladeforums to enter, with more than 20 posts on The Porch. If you’re a Guardian, post a pic of your Lambsfoot, and get a second entry. If you’re a regular here, and have posted in this thread in the past 3 months, post a link to one of your posts, and you get an additional entry. If you have any memories about Ron, please feel free to share them. Otherwise, either tell us some of the things you love about the Lambsfoot pattern, and why you carry one, or, if you don’t yet have a Lambsfoot, say why you’d like to try the pattern. Outstanding posts will get yet another chance of winning the prize. The draw will be from my hat, in about a week’s time. I’ll call ‘Last orders’ a day or two beforehand ;)

Good luck everyone, and thanks once again to all the Guardians :)

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day! :D ;)

Jack

Jack, thank you for this thoughtful giveaway, it's a wonderful way to honor Ron. I've said this more than once, Ron's absence has hit me pretty hard, I really miss his presence here. I've not been spending a whole lot of time on the Porch in recent months - mostly for reasons that I will leave unsaid for now - but Ron was always a reason to remain tuned in, so to speak.

When I first started posting on the Porch, which wasn't long after I had joined the forums, Ron was one of the very first people to make me feel welcome. Him and Harry ( Old Engineer Old Engineer ) both were two residents who did not seem to care that I was this young whippersnapper who was still pretty wet behind the ears. They welcomed me in, gave me good advice and commented on my very meager assortment of qualifying knives (I had like one or two) - I will never forget that.

Ron had a friendly grace that is becoming scarcer by the day and I miss that refreshing and welcoming presence every time I peruse the boards here. Not only did he have an incredible collection that he shared with us every day but he took a lot of joy in everyone else's knives as well. I miss him and his contributions here very much - the forum truly is diminished without him.

Like Ron and many others here, I share in the enthusiasm for a quality Lambsfoot knife and over the years that I have been here, I have acquired a few - some old, some new, some exceptional and some that are ok. It is the most useful and carried pattern in my rather considerable collection now and even though I am fond of switching it up on occasion, a Lambsfoot is always within easy reach. This is one of the few threads here on the Porch that I will always attend to, even if I am not prolific in my posting. Jack's incredible SFOs have really gone a long way towards endearing the pattern to many and with me, it is no exception - they are superb knives and knowing the sheer blood, sweat, and tears that Jack endured to bring them to us, they are all the more special.

A recent post of mine involves this old nameless Lambsfoot. I haven't had the chance to give her a good cleaning yet but it is on the list of things to do.
Nameless ol' Lambsfoot - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/post-20544705

A more memorable post of mine (to me) from a ways back is this one where I endeavored to make myself a "chip butty" (using a mighty fine knife, I might add).
Chip Butty - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/post-17550604

As it stands now, here is the collection (and to clarify, I'd like to be considered for the giveaway, please - would be nice to add a solid big 'un to the mix, especially with memories of Ron attached to it):

qpZSulJ.jpg

Thank you, Jack, for all that you do and for your presence and contributions to this forum, I value them immensely.

Last edited:
I know the feeling :) There's a word in your post which is several centuries older than both of us, but it isn't acceptable here. Some members like to read through the posts with their kids or grand-kids, and some of those youngsters do so independently, and while that language might be acceptable to a couple of old @$£s like us, it isn't acceptable to everyone, and contravenes the sub-forum guidelines, which you really ought to read before you get yourself into some more of that deep stuff ;) If you want to learn about the Lambsfoot pattern, start here, and keep reading, but please edit your post :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great day Kevin :) Those Barlows don't get re-sold very often, I hope you didn't get taken to the cleaners! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Jeff :) That's a great story about Harry's Lambsfoot :D :cool: That's great you were able to sit down with Pam and Ron my friend, happy memories :) :thumbsup:

I could never understand why his previous owner wanted shot of him, he's such a great-looking knife! :) :thumbsup:
Edited. My apologies. And my thanks for a kind and informative response.

Jack, thank you for this thoughtful giveaway, it's a wonderful way to honor Ron. I've said this more than once, Ron's absence has hit me pretty hard, I really miss his presence here. I've not been spending a whole lot of time on the Porch in recent months - mostly for reasons that I will leave unsaid for now - but Ron was always a reason to remain tuned in, so to speak.

When I first started posting on the Porch, which wasn't long after I had joined the forums, Ron was one of the very first people to make me feel welcome. Him and Harry ( Old Engineer Old Engineer ) both were two residents who did not seem to care that I was this young whippersnapper who was still pretty wet behind the ears. They welcomed me in, gave me good advice and commented on my very meager assortment of qualifying knives (I had like one or two) - I will never forget that.

Ron had a friendly grace that is becoming scarcer by the day and I miss that refreshing and welcoming presence every time I peruse the boards here. Not only did he have an incredible collection that he shared with us every day but he took a lot of joy in everyone else's knives as well. I miss him and his contributions here very much - the forum truly is diminished without him.

Like Ron and many others here, I share in the enthusiasm for a quality Lambsfoot knife and over the years that I have been here, I have acquired a few - some old, some new, some exceptional and some that are ok. It is the most useful and carried pattern in my rather considerable collection now and even though I am fond of switching it up on occasion, a Lambsfoot is always within easy reach. This is one of the few threads here on the Porch that I will always attend to, even if I am not prolific in my posting. Jack's incredible SFOs have really gone a long way towards endearing the pattern to many and with me, it is no exception - they are superb knives and knowing the sheer blood, sweat, and tears that Jack endured to bring them to us, they are all the more special.

A recent post of mine involves this old nameless Lambsfoot. I haven't had the chance to give her a good cleaning yet but it is on the list of things to do.
Nameless ol' Lambsfoot - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/post-20544705

A more memorable post of mine (to me) from a ways back is this one where I endeavored to make myself a "chip butty" (using a mighty fine knife, I might add).
Chip Butty - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/post-17550604

As it stands now, here is the collection:

qpZSulJ.jpg

Thank you, Jack, for all that you do and for your presence and contributions to this forum, I value them immensely.
Thank you Dylan, I know exactly what you mean about Ron, he was a rock, and someone you always expected to be here. I miss him a great deal :( Thank you for sharing your recollections, and for your very kind words my friend, it is always a pleasure to have you here :) I was thinking about your chip butty post just last night! :D Truly outstanding :) Wow! That is a breathtaking collection, wonderfully photographed :cool: Thank you so much for posting it, I could look at that photo all night :) :thumbsup:

Edited. My apologies. And my thanks for a kind and informative response.

Congratulations, all, for the posting milestone!
I’ve lurked through this thread since before I even had an account, and have clicked through almost all of the posts thus far. I’ve been hesitant to purchase a new Lambsfoot due to fit and finish concerns, and so my participation here has been mostly reading instead of writing!
I’d love to toss my hat in the ring for the giveaway if allowed! This thread - and the Porch as a whole - is a great community, and I’m happy to have my little part within it!

Congratulations, all, for the posting milestone!
I’ve lurked through this thread since before I even had an account, and have clicked through almost all of the posts thus far. I’ve been hesitant to purchase a new Lambsfoot due to fit and finish concerns, and so my participation here has been mostly reading instead of writing!
I’d love to toss my hat in the ring for the giveaway if allowed! This thread - and the Porch as a whole - is a great community, and I’m happy to have my little part within it!
Thanks, hope you've been enjoying your reading here :) Thanks for your entry, and good luck :thumbsup:

Thank you Dylan, I know exactly what you mean about Ron, he was a rock, and someone you always expected to be here. I miss him a great deal :( Thank you for sharing your recollections, and for your very kind words my friend, it is always a pleasure to have you here :) I was thinking about your chip butty post just last night! :D Truly outstanding :) Wow! That is a breathtaking collection, wonderfully photographed :cool: Thank you so much for posting it, I could look at that photo all night :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. It was actually hastily put together and I couldn't take advantage of good lighting - I'm actually surprised it came out as well as it did. These are prized knives, particularly yours and Charlie's, it can be a struggle sometimes to choose which to put in the pocket. Right now though, they are all strewn in front of me on my desk - so I get to enjoy them all while I work.

As it stands now, here is the collection:

qpZSulJ.jpg

Mate, that is a collection WOW.:p:p:p🐏

Jack,
Congratulations :thumbsup: I remember posting the "one that started it" in the old knives thread and you invited me to share it in this thread. That was Nov or Dec of 2017, thank you for sparking my interest in the pattern and inspiring me to step out today for a picture of my TEW :thumbsup:
RrhMrlj.jpg

Jack,
Congratulations :thumbsup: I remember posting the "one that started it" in the old knives thread and you invited me to share it in this thread. That was Nov or Dec of 2017, thank you for sparking my interest in the pattern and inspiring me to step out today for a picture of my TEW :thumbsup:
RrhMrlj.jpg
That’s a nice one!

All these photos of food from Rachel and chip butty's got me thinking of lunch. So put 2 + 2 together and came up with 5. Our fearless leader does love a sausage sandwich and i know he loves a chip butty, so i put my spin on lunch for 50,000 posts. A LAMB steak and Chip sandwich. And may i say it was good. :p:p:p . Saw Denis lurking around here before, how are you mate.:thumbsup:.

dBq33rH.jpg

Back