Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Just to clarify, those knives were contracted through John Maleham, the former owner of Arthur Wright & Son. Ashley was then one of three cutlers on the factory shop-floor. The two others being older men, while Ashley was not long out of his apprenticeship. The usual practice at Wright's was that the cutlers would each work on a particular process, but I asked John Maleham if Ashley could complete the AC's in their entirety. I was subsequently asked, by Ashley's father, if I could ask my friends on the internet to stop using his surname, as it was causing him some issues. As a result, I sent out an email to that effect on the Guardians email list. Obviously that was some years ago now.

That's a Big 'Un Joshua, and an attractive one for sure. I'd be interested to know how you find the O1, in comparison to Wright's regular C70. The use of O1 surprises me, as I made numerous requests for them to use it, and despite the fact that my orders would have been large, they were always adamant that they wouldn't use it for folders.
I recall that email, Jack, but it had slipped my mind when naming Ashley for this knife. He has his own Instagram knife-making account now, so I wonder if his name is something to keep under wraps? I will make it a point to refrain until some further word comes.

As for the O1, I’m not sure if it is because this was a custom order for Ashley, rather than contracted through Wright & Son? I’ve had O1 on a GEC bullnose and found it very good, with some slight advantage in edge retention over 1095. We’ll see how it compared to the c70!

This would be a good carry combination for all the hikers and explorers here. A Rosewood "Big-un" , a compass to show the way, and the Morse Code if you run into trouble.

View attachment 1643362
That's good kit Ed :thumbsup:
My Lambsfoot with Radio Flyer helping me to clean up construction debris today 😁
R35pl3I.jpg
Cool pic Ken :cool: :thumbsup:
I recall that email, Jack, but it had slipped my mind when naming Ashley for this knife. He has his own Instagram knife-making account now, so I wonder if his name is something to keep under wraps? I will make it a point to refrain until some further word comes.

As for the O1, I’m not sure if it is because this was a custom order for Ashley, rather than contracted through Wright & Son? I’ve had O1 on a GEC bullnose and found it very good, with some slight advantage in edge retention over 1095. We’ll see how it compared to the c70!
You have a good memory Joshua! :) I think Ashley has changed his mind since then though ;) I don't think he's bothered about being named anymore :thumbsup:

I was more intrigued by the knives made for Gary Wines (?), a couple of posters have shown, which are pretty standard Wright's Lambsfoot models, apart from the supposed O1 steel (and a price hike). I have a few knives in O1, and it's a steel I like a lot, but Wright's refusal to work with it, (despite the fact they use it, in thicker stock, for fixed blades), is etched very clearly in my memory. I know you really use your knives Joshua, so would very much value your opinion :thumbsup:

That's good kit Ed :thumbsup:

Cool pic Ken :cool: :thumbsup:

You have a good memory Joshua! :) I think Ashley has changed his mind since then though ;) I don't think he's bothered about being named anymore :thumbsup:

I was more intrigued by the knives made for Gary Wines (?), a couple of posters have shown, which are pretty standard Wright's Lambsfoot models, apart from the supposed O1 steel (and a price hike). I have a few knives in O1, and it's a steel I like a lot, but Wright's refusal to work with it, (despite the fact they use it, in thicker stock, for fixed blades), is etched very clearly in my memory. I know you really use your knives Joshua, so would very much value your opinion :thumbsup:
Thanks for say this, Jack. I have also been intrigued by the use of 01 on the Gary Wines knives--I almost bought one, but decided to wait. I'm glad I did because I the 01 on one of Ashley's lambsfoots kills two birds with one stone for me. So far all I've cut is a colored pencil for my daughter, but it went through it like butter 🤣. I will say that Ashley put a very keen edge on it, although I did give it a few swipes across the strop before testing it out. The blade has a tiny pepper spot, but I know this one will get a nice grey patina once I get it going--if it is anything like the GEC 01 I had. If you have any particular cutting task that you're interested in comparing, let me know and I'll put one Ashley lambsfoot against the other!

Thanks for say this, Jack. I have also been intrigued by the use of 01 on the Gary Wines knives--I almost bought one, but decided to wait. I'm glad I did because I the 01 on one of Ashley's lambsfoots kills two birds with one stone for me. So far all I've cut is a colored pencil for my daughter, but it went through it like butter 🤣. I will say that Ashley put a very keen edge on it, although I did give it a few swipes across the strop before testing it out. The blade has a tiny pepper spot, but I know this one will get a nice grey patina once I get it going--if it is anything like the GEC 01 I had. If you have any particular cutting task that you're interested in comparing, let me know and I'll put one Ashley lambsfoot against the other!
Bearing in mind all my previous discussions with Wright's, and a certain amount of duplicity and sharp practice on their part, when I saw the Wines knives, my first thought was to doubt that it WAS O1, but I wouldn't have thought that was the case with a knife Ashley made himself. Maybe having lost one longstanding customer, and at least one other I can think of, they've decided to be more accommodating when it comes to requests for higher grade steel from their newer customers. Not that I have a problem with their C70, and they are, at least, experienced in dealing with it. That's a kind offer Joshua, nothing in particular comes to mind, but I'd be very interested to have your opinion my friend :thumbsup:
Mom bought that, so it would have been for baking. I don't know why she never took it out of the package; maybe the old ones were still good.
I like the rubber ones.
gPanHCo.jpg
I've sometimes bought replacement items, only to find the original has a bit more life in it yet, or been unable to resist a bargain when I've seen something on offer :) I also prefer the rubber ones Jer, and find them easier to clean :thumbsup:

pTk2Fu9.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend, and that the coming week is kind to you. It looks like quite a nice day here again, and in terms of the weather, the past week has come as a surprise to most of us in Yorkshire, after what was a rather lacklustre summer. I'm glad it's not raining anyhow, as I'm meeting a pal for lunch, and it means we can sit out on the pavement and dine al fresco! :D Have a good day Guardians ;) :thumbsup:

X3ezrNM.jpg

Bearing in mind all my previous discussions with Wright's, and a certain amount of duplicity and sharp practice on their part, when I saw the Wines knives, my first thought was to doubt that it WAS O1, but I wouldn't have thought that was the case with a knife Ashley made himself. Maybe having lost one longstanding customer, and at least one other I can think of, they've decided to be more accommodating when it comes to requests for higher grade steel from their newer customers. Not that I have a problem with their C70, and they are, at least, experienced in dealing with it. That's a kind offer Joshua, nothing in particular comes to mind, but I'd be very interested to have your opinion my friend :thumbsup:

I've sometimes bought replacement items, only to find the original has a bit more life in it yet, or been unable to resist a bargain when I've seen something on offer :) I also prefer the rubber ones Jer, and find them easier to clean :thumbsup:

pTk2Fu9.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend, and that the coming week is kind to you. It looks like quite a nice day here again, and in terms of the weather, the past week has come as a surprise to most of us in Yorkshire, after what was a rather lacklustre summer. I'm glad it's not raining anyhow, as I'm meeting a pal for lunch, and it means we can sit out on the pavement and dine al fresco! :DHave a good day Guardians ;) :thumbsup:

X3ezrNM.jpg
Glad your weather has been pleasant Jack, hope it continues. Your HHB is looking good.

It's a fine morning here in coastal NC. I'm attempting to get a few photos of Humming Birds at my feeder but they are very ..."skidderish". Not much luck soar. Got to be more patient I guess. Going to put my HHB to work around the house today and later on take my iMac computer into the shop for some software upgrades that are too involved for me to do myself.
IMG_3185.JPG

I should use one of these someday.
NaqXvdL.jpg

Germany, Vietnam, China.
I was surprised by the scruffy finish on the German one. "Erosion everywhere!" (Weimer Hicks, longtime president of Kalamazoo College, personal communication)
I was surprised the Vietnamese Wade wasn't English. It was more expensive than the Chinese one.
Someday I'll find an English blackbird like Gramma's (at a price I'm willing to pay).

Last edited:
View attachment 1643694
Good day Guardians! I’m liking the swedge on this big ‘un
Cheers Joshua :thumbsup:
Glad your weather has been pleasant Jack, hope it continues. Your HHB is looking good.

It's a fine morning here in coastal NC. I'm attempting to get a few photos of Humming Birds at my feeder but they are very ..."skidderish". Not much luck soar. Got to be more patient I guess. Going to put my HHB to work around the house today and later on take my iMac computer into the shop for some software upgrades that are too involved for me to do myself.
View attachment 1643699
Thans Bill, it has been a beautiful day, better than most of the days we had in July and August! :) I hope you're able to get some pics, that's certainly a great one of your Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:
I should use one of these someday.
NaqXvdL.jpg

Germany, Vietnam, China.
I was surprised by the scruffy finish on the German one. "Erosion everywhere!" (Weimer Hicks, longtime president of Kalamazoo College)
I was surprised the Vietnamese Wade wasn't English. It was more expensive than the Chinese one.
Someday I'll find an English blackbird like Gramma's (at a price I'm willing to pay).
If I ever get back to being able to travel around the way I used to, I'll keep an eye out for you Jer :thumbsup:

I read that as "page feces" at first.

My brain saw the same thing, Jer. 😁

I don't know if your aware of this Jack; you may of mentioned it on here??, but the muriel of Brearley on the side of the Howard pub in Sheffield has been painted over by some mess that looks like it was painted by a six year old. :rolleyes:

Yes, very sad about that David :( The mural ended up half-covered in crude graffitti, like the other murals in the area. Typically, Sheffield City Council came up with a pretty stupid 'solution' :rolleyes: Here's the mural, as a background to my stainless Stan Shaw Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

YXDpi5p.jpg

And a clearer pic, from when it was new, in 2013 :thumbsup:

UxpCPu3.jpg

There's a report about the mural here (worse than I remembered) 😡 Here's the meaningless replacement 👎

jo-peel-howard-street.jpg

Or at least that's what it looked like when it was painted :rolleyes:

I was talking about going over to Sheffield, but I have less and reason to visit :( Hope you got something decent to eat at least David :thumbsup:

The Brearly mural was splattered with red and white paint when I visited Sheffield. Still, I think that might have been better than the new one. :rolleyes:😉

I know we’ve discussed condiments here in the Guardians thread before — particularly Henderson’s, of course, the versatile, no-nonsense “Lambsfoot” of the condiment world 😉 — so I thought I’d share a Lambsfoot photo with one of my new favorites. This stuff is great! I’ve only had it a week or so and the jar is almost empty. 😁 (Thankfully when I bought it I got three of them, to take advantage of a slight discount and free shipping.)

KhYPuQm.jpg

I thought I was hearing things, when I passed through Leeds market this market this afternoon....

WQCss07.jpg

But, no, a local butchers were playing Christmas carols in September! :rolleyes: I wonder if one of the staff sabotages the music system sometime over the next 3 months! 🤨

i59y5um.jpg

Seems they're branching out into hot beverages too! :D

hHdjMXP.jpg

My brain saw the same thing, Jer. 😁
Honestly! :rolleyes:🤣
The Brearly mural was splattered with red and white paint when I visited Sheffield. Still, I think that might have been better than the new one. :rolleyes:😉
Yeah, maybe Barrett :) I was just thinking about you my friend, as an image of the area near our Sheffield hotel, as it was in the 1980's, came up in my YouTube feed :D Some of the other parts of Sheffield city centre haven't changed too much, and I'm sure you'll recognise them :)

I know we’ve discussed condiments here in the Guardians thread before — particularly Henderson’s, of course, the versatile, no-nonsense “Lambsfoot” of the condiment world 😉 — so I thought I’d share a Lambsfoot photo with one of my new favorites. This stuff is great! I’ve only had it a week or so and the jar is almost empty. 😁 (Thankfully when I bought it I got three of them, to take advantage of a slight discount and free shipping.)

KhYPuQm.jpg
That looks very interesting Barrett! :cool: Sounds kind of weird, but I'll look out for that :thumbsup:

Great photo there my friend :) :thumbsup:

My quoter isn't working. Jack Black Jack Black , re the rook-hunt, thanks!
It took an AGE for the photos in my previous post to upload Jer :rolleyes: No promises buddy, but I'll keep an eye out. I've seen them in the past, but never checked their provenance :thumbsup:

[re early Christmas: ]
Wow. And I think they're hasty around here with the Halloween candy.
sohIK5n.jpg

MUST NOT BUY BRACH'S CREME PUMPKINS!!! (even better than their candy corn)
Being diabetic and all.
I bought a bag of them a few weeks ago, because one or two a day can't hurt. I ate half the bag and threw the rest in the trash, because a man's got to know his limitations. Next day I dug them out from under the wet coffee-grounds and rinsed them off. At least that way it took two days to finish the bag.

[re early Christmas: ]
Wow. And I think they're hasty around here with the Halloween candy.
sohIK5n.jpg

MUST NOT BUY BRACH'S CREME PUMPKINS!!! (even better than their candy corn)
Being diabetic and all.
I bought a bag of them a few weeks ago, because one or two a day can't hurt. I ate half the bag and threw the rest in the trash, because a man's got to know his limitations. Next day I dug them out from under the wet coffee-grounds and rinsed them off. At least that way it took two days to finish the bag.
Maybe they're looking to win a prize or something! :rolleyes: I found a bag of old Christmas baubles in the cupboard the other day, I thought they might make good slingshot targets! :D ;)

Darn it, I forgot you were diabetic Jer! 😖 Been out trying to find vegan goodies for you :rolleyes: Looks like you're managing OK ;) :thumbsup:

Back