Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Your comments about languages ring true with me, Jack. I studied Latin in high school for 3 years and German in college for 2 years, and 50+ years later, after using neither very often, my vocabulary has shrunken dramatically, and my grammar is almost nonexistent. :(
Yes, it's sad to lose knowledge which has not been easily acquired. I spoke Arabic fluently 40 years ago, now it's more than rusty :( And don't even mention mathematics! :eek: My mental arithmetic is as good as ever, since I use it all the time. Anything beyond that was forgotten a long time ago :rolleyes:
Your juxtaposition of comments about the Beatles and about The High Chaparral TV show were a striking coincidence for me! 😲 I mentioned that my wife and I were planning to watch some of the new documentary on the Beatles over Thanksgiving weekend, almost all of it comprised of video footage shot during January 1969 as they tried to put together songs for the Let It Be album. (Many songs that showed up on Abbey Road also appeared in rudimentary form in the documentary.) One amazing scene had McCartney come in at the start of the day and start strumming his bass and humming and occasionally muttering "Get back", while Harrison and Starr sat in a not-yet-awake stupor, half-watching. Then, after a couple of minutes, all of a sudden the song started becoming recognizable, and Harrison and Ringo realized that Paul had something going. Ringo started clapping along, and Harrison started trying to play guitar to complement what McCartney was doing. Throughout the documentary there were various scenes where they continued to work on the song. At one point, Paul was trying to come up with a last name for Jo Jo in the song, and trying out "Jo Jo Jackson left his home in Arizona." Eventually they, decided to ditch the last name of Jo Jo and put in the name of a city along with the state. Paul suggested Tucson, Arizona and John asked if that city was actually in Arizona. Paul confidently replied, "Yes, that's where they make High Chaparral." Must have been a highly-regarded western in the UK at that time!
That's that quite a coincidence about The High Chaparral Gary! :oops: It was shown here for a number of years, but then so were The Virginian and Bonanza among others. Interesting what you say about the documentary. I spent some time with McCartney's brother as a kid :thumbsup:
Congrats on the new camera, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Are you pleased with it so far?
Thanks pal :) Unfortunately, the weather has been so foul, I haven't used it outdoors yet, but it seems quite good :) :thumbsup:
Could you hang your ornaments in some kind of cardboard "catchbox" meant to catch the glass upon impact?
Good idea! :D :thumbsup:
That's some very appealing curry your HHB is diving into, Jack!
:thumbsup:
Thank you very much Gary, I got three meals out of it, and enjoyed it a lot :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. While they were in York, I had sent them links to a couple of lambsfoot models, and asked that they try to find something similar for me; I was more than pleased with the results!
🤓
Good idea :) They did very well though :thumbsup:

I love the Henderson’s but haven’t tried it on anything sweet yet.
I'm not sure I'd recommend it! :D
Thanks. I looked at a Great Lakes lighthouse calendar, but there was one picture I knew would irritate me for a month. It looked like a beacon on a pier with nothing like a house attached.
I opened it up. Mostly Maine, a couple other east coasters, one Illinois, and three Michigans. We do have the longest coastline this side of the Pecos, after all.
wBMPgUB.jpg

The cover is Castle Hill in Rhode Island. Kind of nice, because I grew up across the street from another Castle Hill, and some of my early American ancestors came to Rhode Island.
There's a Castle Hill in Huddersfield, where donn donn and scruffuk scruffuk live :thumbsup:

hill-frm-ashes-la-late-winter-374.jpg

Last edited:
John, I know that story was written by Philip K. Dick and made into the Bladerunner film, but I've neither read the story nor seen the entire movie (or its remake). I used to read a LOT of science fiction back in the 1970s, so I'm surprised that I've never actually read anything by Dick, although I've seen and enjoyed both Total Recall and Minority Report, based on Dick's writings.
Total Recall was based on the short story "We can remember it for you wholesale" (P.K.D. was a great writer, but not so good with titles, in my opinion)
Very cool link, Rachel!

Thanks. I looked at a Great Lakes lighthouse calendar, but there was one picture I knew would irritate me for a month. It looked like a beacon on a pier with nothing like a house attached.
I opened it up. Mostly Maine, a couple other east coasters, one Illinois, and three Michigans. We do have the longest coastline this side of the Pecos, after all.
wBMPgUB.jpg

The cover is Castle Hill in Rhode Island. Kind of nice, because I grew up across the street from another Castle Hill, and some of my early American ancestors came to Rhode Island.
I discovered that I can reuse one of my favorite calendars next year, as long as I ignore the tide tables and moon phases. 😄

8ImmiET.jpg

I've been falling asleep all day, I hope I don't have Sleeping Sickness, like in Tarzan! :eek: :D More realistically, I hope I can get to sleep tonight! :rolleyes: It's been another miserable day weather-wise, and I'm hoping it's better tomorrow, for my weekly trip to the market. I've been mulling over what my cake-cutter should be, and after changing my mind a couple of times, I've decided to pocket my Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

7FMG9gH.jpg

Your photo inspired me to look for some old lambsfoot holiday photos that I'll repost this month.
I have been enjoying yours as well. 🤠 :thumbsup:
I've neither read the story nor seen the entire movie (or its remake).
The first movie was super good, and the second movie was absolutely fantastic.
But you can't watch the second movie without having watched the first one.
I did due to the fact that the district closed down my classroom due to only having one student.
A couple of my classes are down to one student. But the district can't close them because Independent Studies is mandated by the state as an educational option. Seems most of the Independent Studies students stayed virtual, which i also handle in the afternoons. I do miss my full classes though. Hope you enjoy retirement... I can't wait!
More realistically, I hope I can get to sleep tonight!
If you have trouble sleeping, you can hang out here with us. ;)

Jack Black Jack Black ”(I've been mulling over what my cake-cutter should be, and after changing my mind a couple of times, I've decided to pocket my Hartshead Barlow :)) :thumbsup:

Great choice, Jack. Such a beautiful knife.

Good Evening Guardians

J. Rodgers&Sons

Thank you very much Harvey, I hope you're keeping well my friend :) What an absolutely stunning Rodgers, such great vintage character :cool: Fantastic photo :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, it's dark and cold here in Yorkshire, but there's the promise of a little sunshine later, and no rain forecast, for the first day in a week or so. Have a good day, and I'll catch up with you when I get back from the market 👍

Last edited:
I've been falling asleep all day, I hope I don't have Sleeping Sickness, like in Tarzan! :eek: :D More realistically, I hope I can get to sleep tonight! :rolleyes: It's been another miserable day weather-wise, and I'm hoping it's better tomorrow, for my weekly trip to the market. I've been mulling over what my cake-cutter should be, and after changing my mind a couple of times, I've decided to pocket my Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

7FMG9gH.jpg

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow :) Hopefully I can catch up later in the day :thumbsup:

qXbT5TJ.jpg
Some nice photos of your HHB, Jack.:thumbsup: Sounds like you weather is taking a turn for the better but you had better not fall asleep or you will miss it. LOL😆

Good morning Guardians. Our rain storms have moved on but it is still very cool here. Going out for a round of golf this morning - bundle up.
IMG_3145.JPG

Back