Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Congrats, Dwight; looks like you have some nice striping on the mark side! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I look forward to seeing your knife in brighter light, and especially to seeing a pile side shot. I just noticed that yours is the middle knife in a group of 3 that didn't get "flipped" for Jack's original group shots!

I haven't played pinochle since January 1970, but IIRC that hand you've got is a heavy hitter! :D:D:thumbsup:

Congrats, @draggat; very handsome ironwood lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The marked color pattern is especially attractive IMHO! :)

Winning triple play, Charlie; congrats! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Variety is the spice of life! ;)

Congrats, @herder; "racing stripes" is a great description!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the excellent ebony lambsfoot, WDJ WDJ !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on at least seeing a pic, and thanks for showing it off here! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope you don't have to wait TOO long for the final long leg of its journey. ;)

You've certainly got ME pegged, Rachel! :D:rolleyes:

:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Nice sketches! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I've learned that I don't have a light enough touch to go below 0.5mm on my mechanical pencils. But 0.5 is way better than the 0.7mm I used in my youth. What's that template sheet? Various sizes of circles, or are there other shapes, too?

I received a slightly belated Valentines Day gift from the postal workers of the world yesterday! I found a package from Leeds in my mailbox at work just after 5pm as I was preparing to head home Friday. I took some photos in my "living room photo studio" Friday night, and Saturday I took some morning pics in my laundry room studio and some outdoor shots when the sun broke through mid-afternoon. I think it's a beautiful knife with a distinguished, calm mark side and a more bold, colorful pile side. Here are the first 2 photos I took:
View attachment 1074749
View attachment 1074751

Here are a couple of sunnier shots:
View attachment 1074753
View attachment 1074756
I REALLY like the way the "kink" in the grain on the pile side, as illustrated in the last pic above, gives the illusion of a "valley" running vertically across the width of the knife just to the left of the center pin in the photo.

Thanks, Jack, for "casting the vision" of these knives, and then going through all the details of bringing them to Guardians around the globe!!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

ETA: I forgot to include where my life is located in the group shot. Basically, it's bottom center. The bolster of Taylor's knife is almost touching the nil nick of my blade, and the bolster of Chin's knife is almost touching the barreled end of my knife.

- GT
Groovy kink on the pile side, Gary. I dig it! :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm trying to get back in the habit of carrying a sketchbook. Doodling in it is more productive in moments of downtime than playing "thumb games" on the phone. The template is just circles. When my father was visiting last summer, I mentioned that some of my drawings required dividing a circle in particular segments, and I was trying to figure out how to mark the circumference evenly. He explained that what I needed to determine is the secant, and that this is a trigonometry problem. (I never got that far in math) He sat down and wrote up a table for me to use.
Very :cool:

45997362544_3ea134eb91_h.jpg

Went to another hockey game last night. Skunked the Odessa Jackalopes 5 to 1!

Yowza!! Gorgeous! Love that stag!:eek::thumbsup:
Thank you sir! :)

May his name live in infamy forever! o_O

Dapper and debonair Ron :thumbsup:

I started the year off with a virus, and since it stopped me eating for a week, and my stomach shrank, I thought it might be a good opportunity to lose some weight. So I've been eating super healthy, cut down drastically on my calorie intake, stopped taking sugar, and been walking at least 5 miles a day. I also decided to stop boozing for January, but when the end of January came, I wasn't that fussed about a drink. Thought I'd treat myself to a beer tonight :thumbsup:

uCwj4aR.jpg
Thanks Jack! :) Cheers my friend! :thumbsup:

I received a slightly belated Valentines Day gift from the postal workers of the world yesterday! I found a package from Leeds in my mailbox at work just after 5pm as I was preparing to head home Friday. I took some photos in my "living room photo studio" Friday night, and Saturday I took some morning pics in my laundry room studio and some outdoor shots when the sun broke through mid-afternoon. I think it's a beautiful knife with a distinguished, calm mark side and a more bold, colorful pile side. Here are the first 2 photos I took:
View attachment 1074749
View attachment 1074751

View attachment 1074753
View attachment 1074756
I REALLY like the way the "kink" in the grain on the pile side, as illustrated in the last pic above, gives the illusion of a "valley" running vertically across the width of the knife just to the left of the center pin in the photo.

Thanks, Jack, for "casting the vision" of these knives, and then going through all the details of bringing them to Guardians around the globe!!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

ETA: I forgot to include where my life is located in the group shot. Basically, it's bottom center. The bolster of Taylor's knife is almost touching the nil nick of my blade, and the bolster of Chin's knife is almost touching the barreled end of my knife.

- GT
Very nice Ironwood there Gary! :thumbsup: Glad it made it home safe and sound! :)

Thanks for sharing this! It definitely didn’t seem like Sambar. At first glance, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Pere David, but it’s grown on me. These are very rustic feeling knives that look and feel like they can withstand a good beating. I doubt I’ll treat these like beaters though.

As you probably realise, the Wright's website is not run by them, never has been, and could do with a lot of work on it. The photos are old, and so unrepresentative of the stag (and ebony) they're generally using nowadays. With the Indian government's ban on exports of Sambar stag, they're only able to get hold of it in limited quantities, and it's generally reserved for special projects such as the Ashley's Choice knives :thumbsup:

Yup, you deserve to treat! How you got all the knives out while being sick.....you are a steely eyed machine!:thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis, it seems like a distant memory now ;) :thumbsup:

Very good IPA. Sierra Nevada brewery is amazing too visited their quite a bit.

I've enjoyed all the beers I've had of theirs Taylor :) Torpedo is a bit of an 'Old Friend', about 10 years ago, the manager of a bar I used to frequent got hold of a load of cut-price stock, and sold it to the regulars at a real bargain price. We all drank it for months, and when the cheap stock went up, and we had to either stop drinking it or pay three times the price for the regular stock, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth :( ;) :thumbsup:

I did a search of this thread, Jack, and your memory is impeccable in recalling Chin as the first to use "chatoyance" in this thread. (I had heard it earlier, so I searched the Trad. subforum, and I'll bet I first heard it from Jeff @black mamba in 2014, although it was apparently first used on The Porch in 2010, long before I showed up here.)

That's sterling research GT :) I find it bizarre that, when it comes to knife-related stuff, my memory is no worse than average - with everything else it's absolutely terrible! :rolleyes:

My almond tree thinks it's spring. Starting to show some budding.
View attachment 1074700

Cool photo Taylor, you definitely got one of the champs there :thumbsup:

Congrats, Dwight; looks like you have some nice striping on the mark side! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I look forward to seeing your knife in brighter light, and especially to seeing a pile side shot. I just noticed that yours is the middle knife in a group of 3 that didn't get "flipped" for Jack's original group shots!

Sorry about that :( I basically got back from Sheffield, removed all the knives from their individual plastic bags, took pics, put them back in the bags, and started shipping. In retrospect, I wish I'd at least waited for some daylight, as many of the knives look very dull in the group shots :thumbsup:

I haven't played pinochle since January 1970...

Clearly a memorable game! :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 1074749
View attachment 1074751

View attachment 1074753
View attachment 1074756

- GT

Con amore! :D I'm glad it made it GT, I also like the 'contour lines', it looks good :) Thanks for the kind words my friend :thumbsup:

ch4DyKI.jpg

It's not like you to be at the bottom of the class GT! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Cheers and to your good health.

And to yours my friend :) :thumbsup:

With all of these stunning, drool-inducing photos flying in at breakneck speed, I feel it is my civic (or, moral?) obligation to interject with a photo-free utility report lest we forget that lambsfoot knives want, nay, demand, to be put to work. :)

Today I participated in a team building exercise consisting of building an art project from things that were about to be thrown away. My contribution to my team's build was a miniature sled. I used my lambsfoot to score a hard plastic clothes hanger before snapping it to form the runners. Afterwards it had no problem slicing cardboard that would become the platform. The tip then expertly cut out—paper doll style—the silhouette of a child from a folded over sheet of copy paper.

As you might expect, the scoring was hard on a portion of the edge, but less than a minute's work with the leather honing wheel on my Tormek machine had it back to being shaving sharp. Man, I love using this knife.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled gorgeous photos. Those are important, too. :D

Sounds like your Lambsfoot has done a good day's work Greg :) Next time you're on a team building exercise would you mind pausing at various points to take a few pics of your Lambsfoot please? ;) :D :thumbsup:

Congratulations Vince :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope you're all having a great weekend :) I've still got a few things to do in the house today, but hoping to get out later to get some exercise, and maybe get something to eat (I haven't had my orders yet :rolleyes:). Have a lovely Sunday folks :thumbsup:

l8Y5piP.jpg

Nice contrast in the wood, Jer. Is that one of your making?
Oh, no. When you see the first one of my making, you'll probably laugh. I'm determined to finish it though. This one I paid too much for because it was made in Chicago and because it was for sale across the street from my late uncle's former hardware store/apartment in Jordan, NY. (Got $42 in it.)

Good morning Guardians, knowing that I have missed some in this post, I apologize. Hope your weekend is bright and sunny like here.
DSC_0225.JPG

I committed a faux pas here earlier and posted some non-lambsfoot stuff.... had to delete that one...

I just received some knives straight from A. Wright. Very pleased with them. The stag is a bit different than what I’m used to, but I like it.... very pleasant in the hand as well. Thought I would share the note they included about the lambfoot pattern..... name and address blotted out, lest I break some more rules! ;)

efrkb4.jpg

160y8fk.jpg
Now that's a Lambsfoot:D Well photographed and good looking!
May his name live in infamy forever! o_O

Dapper and debonair Ron :thumbsup:

I started the year off with a virus, and since it stopped me eating for a week, and my stomach shrank, I thought it might be a good opportunity to lose some weight. So I've been eating super healthy, cut down drastically on my calorie intake, stopped taking sugar, and been walking at least 5 miles a day. I also decided to stop boozing for January, but when the end of January came, I wasn't that fussed about a drink. Thought I'd treat myself to a beer tonight :thumbsup:

uCwj4aR.jpg
Every time I see this Ashley's Choice, I go into green with envy mode:).
Don't they all yummm

My almond tree things it's spring. Starting to show some budding.
View attachment 1074700
Another great photo, Taylor, Hope it's not to early for those buds to make through any frost/

I haven't played pinochle since January 1970, but IIRC that hand you've got is a heavy hitter! :D:D:thumbsup:

Congrats, @draggat; very handsome ironwood lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The marked color pattern is especially attractive IMHO! :)

Winning triple play, Charlie; congrats! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Variety is the spice of life! ;)

Congrats, @herder; "racing stripes" is a great description!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the excellent ebony lambsfoot, WDJ WDJ !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on at least seeing a pic, and thanks for showing it off here! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope you don't have to wait TOO long for the final long leg of its journey. ;)

You've certainly got ME pegged, Rachel! :D:rolleyes:

:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Nice sketches! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I've learned that I don't have a light enough touch to go below 0.5mm on my mechanical pencils. But 0.5 is way better than the 0.7mm I used in my youth. What's that template sheet? Various sizes of circles, or are there other shapes, too?

View attachment 1074749
View attachment 1074751

View attachment 1074753
View attachment 1074756

ETA: I forgot to include where my life is located in the group shot. Basically, it's bottom center. The bolster of Taylor's knife is almost touching the nail nick of my blade, and the bolster of Chin's knife is almost touching the barehead end of my knife.

- GT
GT, congratulations, on those two, The Ironwood, like all of these is spectacular.

Nice photo, Vince, glad your team won. You certainly have a winner in that knife.
Just having my morning coffee :thumbsup:

NYwXWcv.jpg
Turns out we're going out for Sunday lunch, so I'll see you all later folks ;) :thumbsup:

dHT0crD.jpg
More, more, and more. Want more of that exquisite knife!!
Any time.
No need to look it up and verify!
EgvBVD7.jpg

Rose Beast on a questionable uke-building idea.
Interesting, I want to see that build at various stages. Rose Beast looks like she is in control of the situation...I'd leave it up to her.

EgvBVD7.jpg

Rose Beast on a questionable uke-building idea.

Can't wait to see that one Jer :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, knowing that I have missed some in this post, I apologize. Hope your weekend is bright and sunny like here.
DSC_0225.JPG

Every time I see this Ashley's Choice, I go into green with envy mode:).

Nice pic Preston :thumbsup:

Wright's have some vintage Sambar laid away for me for a project later in the year ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics of the White Rose. Such a beauty.

Thank you Vince :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Looking good John :thumbsup: I took this pic for you the other day, but forgot to post it ;) :thumbsup:

CFhPx4i.jpg

Back