Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Yes, that's the same throughout the world Dave, or certainly in the northern hemisphere. Because the prevailing winds blow to the East, the rich folks built their houses on the West, so they didn't have to smell the poor (and suffer the smoke coming from the factories)
Interesting. I can't believe I hadn't figured that out ... but I hadn't. :rolleyes: Gonna have a beer too Jack. You flung a craving on me!..:D Have a good evening.

Cocobolo is wonderful, too. Ebony better than both. But Desert Ironwood is amazing! Probably my favourite wood for knives.
It all sounds delightful. The Ironwood is amazing. Aside from its’ indisputable beauty, i’m most impressed with the speed and drama free way in which it was acquired. Jack is a man for all seasons.

Black Ebony is a wood that grabs my fancy. Odd, because I never gave it much thought previously, but in the last few months, that has completely changed.

Half/Stop Half/Stop like Half/Stop Half/Stop Beautiful Ebony

pjsjr pjsjr A great looking canine guarding the Ironwood, I see.

@Jack Blade cheers. Enjoy the well deserved libation.

Last edited:
That's great, Jack! Thanks for the update, and enjoy that brew (it looks tasty!).

Thanks Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Interesting. I can't believe I hadn't figured that out ... but I hadn't. :rolleyes: Gonna have a beer too Jack. You flung a craving on me!..:D Have a good evening.

I remember learning that on a university course I was doing in 1982, and it really came as a revelation. Even more so when I realised that it didn't just apply to Sheffield, but across the world. Cheers Dwight, the same to you my friend :thumbsup:

It all sounds delightful. The Ironwood is amazing. Aside from its’ indisputable beauty, i’m most impressed with the speed and drama free way in which it was acquired. Jack is a man for all seasons.

Black Ebony is a wood that grabs my fancy. Odd, because I never gave it much thought previously, but in the last few months, that has completely changed.

Ebony has always been a favourite of mine, but getting hold of really black ebony is getting harder and more expensive, as well as more environmentally destructive. I am particularly grateful to L lambertiana for his great knowledge of wood, and also to @Cambertree :thumbsup:

It is literally just baked clay. The surface looks like a brick, very porous, and if you scrape it, it just comes away like dust. Because they are so porous, they take on the flavor of the tea that you infuse in them, and it's a good idea to use only one kind of tea in each pot, to keep the flavor pure. After years of using a pot, you can use less and less tea to make a cup, as the flavor is saturated in the clay.
Thanks Jeff, I have had an interest and training in ceramics. Most ceramic vessels used for food and liquid is glazed and high fired to protect from bacteria grow...so I was curious.
I

I had a phonecall from Wright's earlier, and the second batch of 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot knives should be ready for me to collect on Thursday :thumbsup:

Having a wee beer tonight ;)

ZPJJi2J.jpg
Is that me me me? Who's anxious? Not I, hahaha.

Ebony has always been a favourite of mine, but getting hold of really black ebony is getting harder and more expensive, as well as more environmentally destructive. I am particularly grateful to L lambertiana for his great knowledge of wood, and also to @Cambertree :thumbsup:
That makes me feel bad, because I don’t wish to contribute to something that is “environmentally destructive.” Need to do a little research. Unfortunately, it’s the “really black Ebony” that I like the most.

Yes, that's the same throughout the world Dave, or certainly in the northern hemisphere. Because the prevailing winds blow to the East, the rich folks built their houses on the West, so they didn't have to smell the poor (and suffer the smoke coming from the factories) :eek: :thumbsup:
Who knew! Jack Knew that's who :thumbsup::D Now I have some cool trivia I can tell my boys so I sound smart again.:rolleyes: Although its usually Dad that wins when we play Trivial Pursuit. :p

Yes, that's the same throughout the world Dave, or certainly in the northern hemisphere. Because the prevailing winds blow to the East, the rich folks built their houses on the West, so they didn't have to smell the poor (and suffer the smoke coming from the factories) :eek: :thumbsup:

I remember learning that on a university course I was doing in 1982, and it really came as a revelation. Even more so when I realised that it didn't just apply to Sheffield, but across the world. Cheers Dwight, the same to you my friend :thumbsup:
I always assumed that the south side of cities is usually the poorer part because most rivers in America flow north to south and rich folk want to live upstream, especially of the factories. It's the same basic principle.

That makes me feel bad, because I don’t wish to contribute to something that is “environmentally destructive.” Need to do a little research. Unfortunately, it’s the “really black Ebony” that I like the most.

I love jet black ebony, too, but recently decided to never buy a new knife with black ebony again simply because of the environmental situation with black ebony. The only other truly black wood that I will still buy, is African Blackwood (dalbergia melanoxylon). I have some examples that are as jet black as the best ebony in my collection. Plus, it is harder and denser than any ebony. Historically, I am convinced that a lot of the antique traditional knives that were sold as ebony were actually African Blackwood due to the source areas mentioned in old literature and also due to the fact that African Blackwood was often referred to as ebony (even the original ancient Egyptian word for ebony, hbny, referred to african blackwood). But I think the days of readily available high quality blackwood are also coming to an end.

I should not have stumbled upon this thread! Now I have a new itching for a lambsfoot! Are most of you ordering from the A Wright and Son website?

I really like this knife but the placement of the nail nick and the shaped handle along with a strong pull makes this one a little too tough on the opening. I tried to capture it in the second pic. Hopefully as it breaks in it will become easier. Really like the rose wood handle. Any suggestions on break in besides the usual stuff, clean it up and lube the pivot.
qDRqEbU.jpg

JcTyLXM.jpg

Back