Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Too funny. They should put you on their staff.

It's true though. Only a handful of makers left that still put the old world quality into their knives and the way they make them. I proudly carry my Wright's Lambsfoot knowing it's carrying on a tradition that's fading from the world.

They think I'm just a bloke who buys knives off them! ;)

Nicely said John, that could go in the book of testimonials they'll never produce :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack. It’s carry and forget nature makes it nicer than one would think.

I just want to say how beautiful all the images are. I feel remiss in not saying so to each individual here, but the combination of catching up, and exhaustion from shoveling prevents that.
View attachment 1075856

I have a lot of all-steel knives, and really like them Dwight :)

Shovelling would soon wear me out! :eek: The last time we had snow I thought was deep enough to shovel, I spent a couple of hours clearing a path from the road to my front door. Woke up the next morning, and all the snow had gone! :eek: o_O :rolleyes: :D

Got some dog hair AND some cat hair I can send you! (Shedding some myself. :( ). ;)
Thanks Vince, but Dutch sees to it I don't have to worry about running out.
IMG_0925.JPG

They get it from Indonesia now I think :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Vince :) :thumbsup:

I generally prefer the Lambsfoot pattern plain, but I do have a few with file-work :thumbsup:

nhmxGjb.jpg

Thanks Dennis, the slip was a gift from Barry @gunstockjack about 5 years ago, he does great work :thumbsup:
I feel the same way about my Rosewood Big 'Un Dave :) It's my 'hard use' Lambsfoot ;) :thumbsup:

0zpMufE.jpg

I showed him my Lambsfoot, and told him, "That one was made a few weeks ago." :thumbsup:

sdZPXK2.jpg

I once briefly went out with a woman who had 3 old dogs, and a white-haired cat. I was still finding hair on my clothes six months after we went our separate ways :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:
I'm quite use to it and don't worry over it. Lots, most, of my friends and visitors have dogs. Nice Rosewood on the Big'un
Jack Black Jack Black
I just want to say how beautiful all the images are. I feel remiss in not saying so to each individual here, but the combination of catching up, and exhaustion from shoveling prevents that.
View attachment 1075856
Just take it easy...not overdue yourself on shoveling or posting, Harvey!

I generally prefer the Lambsfoot pattern plain, but I do have a few with file-work :thumbsup:

nhmxGjb.jpg

Thanks Dennis, the slip was a gift from Barry @gunstockjack about 5 years ago, he does great work :thumbsup:
That is some nice file work Jack!

Another terrific picture. Love the wood on wood pictures.
Thanks! :)

That is just gorgeous!

Just beautiful Ron. You really scored a beauty.
Thanks, I’m proud of it! :)

Beautiful photo Ron :thumbsup:

Wright's should use that as an advertising slogan :) Not that they actually do any advertising :rolleyes: I remember the first really nice knife I had from Wright's (below). I was looking at some pocket knives on a market-stall, and a feller next to me said, "They don't make them like that anymore." I showed him my Lambsfoot, and told him, "That one was made a few weeks ago." :thumbsup:

sdZPXK2.jpg
Thanks for the compliment Jack! :thumbsup: That is some mighty fine Ebony Jack! :) I was wandering if you got it and the one I was fortunate to win in your GAW during the same time frame? :thumbsup: :D

32826339818_2887f9c33e_b_d.jpg

Lovely! I agree, wood on wood photo looks great!;):thumbsup:
Thank you! :)

Do you know if it's stoneware or porcelain?

It is literally just baked clay. The surface looks like a brick, very porous, and if you scrape it, it just comes away like dust. Because they are so porous, they take on the flavor of the tea that you infuse in them, and it's a good idea to use only one kind of tea in each pot, to keep the flavor pure. After years of using a pot, you can use less and less tea to make a cup, as the flavor is saturated in the clay.

[QUOTE="Jack Black, post: 187

nhmxGjb.jpg

Thanks Dennis, the slip was a gift from Barry @gunstockjack about 5 years ago, he does great work :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I love that back spring. That is very similar file work to the one that I saw on Saturday. It really impressed me, such that it is now high up on my next few to get list!

Good stuff Jack! You can carry the Big 'Un when you go to the East side of town and the Ironwood on the West :p That's just a guess but usually, the east side is the tough side.:confused:

Yes, that's the same throughout the world Dave, or certainly in the northern hemisphere. Because the prevailing winds blow to the East, the rich folks built their houses on the West, so they didn't have to smell the poor (and suffer the smoke coming from the factories) :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks Vince, but Dutch sees to it I don't have to worry about running out.
IMG_0925.JPG

I'm quite use to it and don't worry over it. Lots, most, of my friends and visitors have dogs. Nice Rosewood on the Big'un

Nice pic Preston, and thank you :) :thumbsup:

pjsjr pjsjr The more praise I hear about Rosewood, the more I want one.

Cocobolo is wonderful, too. Ebony better than both. But Desert Ironwood is amazing! Probably my favourite wood for knives.

I've been very impressed with the Desert Ironwood :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment Jack! :thumbsup: That is some mighty fine Ebony Jack! :) I was wandering if you got it and the one I was fortunate to win in your GAW during the same time frame? :thumbsup: :D

32826339818_2887f9c33e_b_d.jpg

Thank you! :)

Thank you Ron :) I got that one from a UK vendor, who despite asking if I had any preference in terms of tang stamp (and I said I wanted the Wright's tang stamp), sent me one with the generic Sheffield tang-stamp Wright's put on blades for people like Michael May, and before him Trevor Ablett. I emailed him about it, and he told me some nonsense about how the knives were boxed and sealed at the factory (which was rubbish, because it had just been dropped in a Jiffy bag), but he wouldn't have been able to inspect it anyway, because being carbon steel it would have rusted instantly! o_O I would have returned the knife, but having concluded that the vendor was a complete idiot, I didn't trust him to send me another, which was as beautiful, and (apart from the tang-stamp) as perfectly made. When I started carrying it, and posting pics, I got a lot of folks asking where I got it, but Wright's didn't do an ebony Lambsfoot, as standard, at the time, so I suggested to a shop in Sheffield that they should think about stocking some, and as a consequence Wright's started using more ebony. I liked the ebony so much, I had Wright's do a couple of small runs with polished blades for me, so that I could give them away to friends. As I didn't have one with the Wright's tang-stamp, I thought I'd keep one to replace my original, but I ended up never using or carrying it, as I'd gotten used to the other. So, I thought I'd put it up for a giveaway :) The others also went to very good homes my friend :thumbsup:

[QUOTE="Jack Black, post: 187

nhmxGjb.jpg

I love that back spring. That is very similar file work to the one that I saw on Saturday. It really impressed me, such that it is now high up on my next few to get list![/QUOTE]

Wright's call that pattern a 'Senator' (a Senator is actually a Penknife pattern). They do another couple of styles of file-work they use on other knives in their range :thumbsup:

Back