Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

yYFMZPr.jpg
Beautiful, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I like the slightly longer bolster it works well and the Stag looks great! Is that the vintage Sambar stag? How do you like the blade?:thumbsup::cool:

Dwights National Park spring opening
:D

I'm glad I'm not alone, Dave. We can be weird together
Well I don't mind for one second admitting that I "actually" "USE" no more than two or three of an estimated... oh I'd say... give or take... well... a ball park number would be... more than three for sure. :cool:

can I be weird too?
You'll fit right in :confused:

That new one you sent me the other day "Safe Queen" :rolleyes: I just can't bring myself to use it. :p
Yet...

:D

Well I don't mind for one second admitting that I "actually" "USE" no more than two or three of an estimated... oh I'd say... give or take... well... a ball park number would be... more than three for sure. :cool:
A number so high that you can't even begin to contemplate it. :D

Lamb picture to keep Jack happy until he's had his first cup of coffee. ;)

HAHA Great photo Kevin! Come to think of it maybe a vacuum wasn't such a good idea doh! :p A nice machining Mill now there's a great idea. :thumbsup::D
Now you're talkin' , Dave! Let me know how your wife likes her new mill so I know if I should go ahead with my plans to get Jen one. ;):D

Or you could surprise her with some new living room furniture! (I only did it ONCE).
If I got her new furniture, I wouldn't be able to afford her mill! ;)

You'd think they would appreciate our efforts. It don't figure...:rolleyes:;)
Or our sacrifices, like letting her have 98% of the bed space. :rolleyes::D

That right there is a stunner...:thumbsup:

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful photo Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend.
That Stan Shaw Lambsfoot of yours makes me all....
Eraserhead-David-Lynch-Mind-Blown-Gif.gif

A Lambsfoot pic from the archive, to keep things lambsfooty
34118165502_5d5f6566ff_h.jpg

Now you're talkin' , Dave! Let me know how your wife likes her new mill so I know if I should go ahead with my plans to get Jen one. ;):D

If I got her new furniture, I wouldn't be able to afford her mill! ;)

Or our sacrifices, like letting her have 98% of the bed space. :rolleyes::D

That right there is a stunner...:thumbsup:

Thank you my friend.

Kevin I will let you know how it all turns out.;):p Great post my friend. :thumbsup::D

Thanks, Chin. I love this knife. Every 2019 Guardian I've seen is a real looker.

Always enjoy your posts and nature pics.

Thanks Vince, yes I love all three of my Guardians knives, but I think I like the ‘19 the best. Just don’t tell the others! My Horn 2017 is the safe queen, so I can use the Ebony ‘18 and Ironwood ‘19 guilt free.

Always an interesting dialogue and photos Chin, thank you! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks, Chin. And your photos are always entertaining.

Thank you kindly, my friends.

I can understand why he's not a fan, even though I have enjoyed some of the films enormously. Despite the plot changes, I thought Watchmen was great at the cinema, and despite my dislike of some of the plot changes to V For Vendetta, I went to see it several times - I can remember one May Day in Barcelona, defending the film to a friend in my faltering Spanish! :D :thumbsup:

More incredible pics my friend, I know I'm not alone in really looking forward to your posts, you always bring great insight and fabulous images :) :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, very kind of you to say so.

Yeah, I’ve been assured by friends whose taste in film I respect, that Watchmen is a creditable adaptation. After seeing From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen though, I refuse to watch any more film versions of Alan Moore’s comics. V for Vendetta was one of my most loved books as a teenager, so I don’t want to sully my memories of it either, with someone else’s reimagining of it. I don’t know if we have any H.P. Lovecraft fans here, but I expect we’ll see a film adaptation sooner or later of Moore’s recently completed take on the Cthulhu Mythos: Providence.

Mine too I think John :) I remember someone lending me the graphic novel when it was first published. I was in my late 20's at the time, and hadn't read a comic since I was a kid. I came home from the pub, put some jazz on, sat down, and read it from cover to cover, finishing about 8.00am :) Fantastic book :thumbsup:

9gPqXBb.jpg

Always an education when perusing your posts Chin. Marvelous.

I love Whitman.

My parents worked for Gulf Oil and also did mission work and dad flew supplies into the bush for missionaries. I was just along for the ride. We were there four years. I turned sixteen just as we returned state side.

Love your rambles through the brambles Chin. Always a treat to read and view your posts my friend. Take care.

Cheers Dwight, you too my friend. Wow that must have been an amazing experience to have at such a formative time in your life. Fascinating.

Beautiful scenery, Chin; nothing quite like the peace and solitude of God's country.

The little path is so symbolic, it reminded me of my favorite line from the whole series of Harry Potter movies. In the last one, when Harry "dies" and meets Dumbledoor at the train station. Harry says, "Where will it take me?" and Dumbledoor says, "On!" Just beautiful. :)

Thanks Jeff. Very much so. I’m glad you enjoyed the photos, and thanks for your perceptive comment. I always enjoy the symbolism of a winding path in photos too. I like the effect a sequence of ‘path, road and track’ pics can have as you scroll up through them on the forum.

You reminded me of the destination listed on the front of Ken Kesey’s Magic Bus too: ‘FURTHER’!

No new tea and Ralf pictures my friend? I look forward to seeing them!

Thanks Chin, the wound is healing. You live in a most interesting area, are these areas you picture and write about close to you? Where is it, I'd like to see it on a map...well actually I'd like to see it with my own eyes. That won't happen so visiting by other means will have to suffice. As usual your photos are excellent!

Thanks Preston, yes all those places are within about a 6 mile/10 km radius of where I live.

80D3354F-3234-4F88-8296-EBCDC8B5BFC5.jpeg
75D317BB-A443-41F8-9634-C6C04E8F7823.jpeg
CECBB9FC-B699-4D6B-A06B-65558D904549.jpeg

The moss and Tree Fern pics from a few pages back were taken about where the last ‘e’ is in Sherbrooke. The pics of the Lyrebirds in the Forest Arboretum, would be just under the icon in the top right corner of the last map.

After the East Gondwanan supercontinent separated into the landmasses which now comprise India, Australia/New Zealand, Antarctica and Madagascar, for a long time there was a landbridge which connected this part of Australia via Tasmania to Antarctica. Those Antarctic Tree Ferns are a very old species, dating back to the Jurassic and Cretaceous eras. In theory you could have walked from my place, down to Antarctica and then up to Patagonia. There are 60 million year old Australian Eucalypt fossils in Patagonia, which have since become extinct in South America.

I’m not sure if you follow the Adventures of Pearl thread Preston (I’m overdue for a visit there myself), but there’s a series of posts there about this part of the world, you might be interested in, starting here.

The Sheffield Flood was the biggest disaster in British history, yet it is almost unknown, even within the city itself :(
A pleasure my friend, it's an interesting story. A couple of years back, I walked round Dale Dyke Reservoir in early January, taking my ebony Lambsfoot with me :thumbsup:

Thanks for this, Jack. As we’ve discussed before, I think, The Great Sheffield Flood was the impetus for some cutlers and working cutlers to migrate to Australia and probably America too.

John Grayson’s works at Malin Bridge on the Loxley River were destroyed in the flood and he subsequently set up shop in Melbourne:

C23F4A99-7825-4606-86F7-A889004CCDBC.jpeg

A hairdressers salon and ‘Yoga Space’ now occupy this spot on Brunswick Street, north of the Melbourne CBD.

I think the point has been made before in this thread, that these cutlers and the working cutlers who had migrated to America in the 1830s and ‘40s, and worked for the Northfield and Waterville Cutlery companies evidently did not bring the Lambsfoot pattern with them, so presumably it was developed after that time.

These two pieces of concrete, both paid for by private subscription, are the only memorials to the 250 people directly killed by the Sheffield flood. Compensation was paid by the Water Company to the mill and factory owners for their loss of property , not a penny to the families of the bereaved.

Makes the blood boil. I suppose it’s no coincidence that the events of the so called ‘Sheffield Outrages’ occurred soon after this.

Here's another Jack I like:
63u1yZK.jpg

DfINPO9.jpg

The Master. Great stuff Vince.

Last edited:
I think I’m the second Guardian to cross the International Date Line into the end of the working week. Our Kiwi Bro, Duncan @Campbellclanman is the first, NZ being a couple of hours ahead of Oz.

So I’ll take the opportunity to say ‘Happy Friday afternoon and have a good one, Duncan!’ and the same to all the rest of you when it gets there. ;):thumbsup::)

agfJfWX.jpg

Last edited:
It's certainly unusual ;) :thumbsup:

dbhtooH.jpg

smTcMto.jpg

l4Zk099.jpg

KZj34l5.jpg

IrcIaQV.jpg

mbmSqrb.jpg

PFHztw1.jpg

Se62YNN.jpg

It was supposed to be in carbon o_O Stan told me, "I thought you could keep it for best." :rolleyes:

Jack what an exquisite looking knife. :thumbsup: I'd happily sell one of my more important internal organs to possess that :D.

All-sorts are a last resort candy, with both licorice and coconut. I always considered them "grandma" candy. The idea being that they buy it so the grandkids won't eat it all when they come visit.

So you can read it while it's pouring!

Most good bartenders will hold the jigger over the glass while filling it, tip the jigger while still letting the bottle pour, so you get about a shot and a half.

It's your call of course, but look at the pretty patina colors:
f04uYJT.jpg

LOL Rachel! Baileys isn't something I can drink that much of. In quantity it tends to curdle in the stomach and cause all manner of mischief :oops:.
U.S bartenders sound far more generous than UK bartenders. :D They also sound a bit more professional; unlike the twenty-somethings we have here who pay more attention to their facebook updates than they do to their drinking customers :rolleyes:
And I still don't know what causes that blue patina on my knives, but it seems to disappear whenever I wipe the blade down with a spot of oil :(

It is good looking.
But I like having the rosewood for "using" and the ironwood for "looking good". :p

One more picture before I throw it back in the safe...

Go on John, that's just begging to see some action!:)

David, I was. I know the weather is soon going to make a lot of my plans for outside work difficult, thunder/lightening, rain and hail, so wanted to get started. Plus dog training is going to start for real in a couple of weeks. The ice is mostly melted form the ponds we use, the water just has to warm up so the dogs don't mind getting in and out and longer swims.

Ahhh so not so much getting ready for summer as more battening down the hatches :eek:
Good luck! Hope your dogs see some exercise soon :thumbsup:

I went on the 901 Huddersfield-Hebden bus on Saturday, and as we very momentarily went over the county line, I was chilled to the very bone :D

I'm about to step out the door to go to the (according to some :D) near tropical climes of North Yorkshire for a few days. It's my rosewood lambsfoot that will be going with me as those whip-cracking Tikes usually find me some chores to do whilst I'm there :rolleyes::D
UPhiztj.jpg

I expect this thread will of reached at least 950 pages by the time I get back...:eek:
Hope everyone has a great weekend. :thumbsup:

LOL Just like my big brother when we were kids. Always had to be on guard when he was around esp if he had a friend over. :rolleyes:
BitesizedBogusIchthyostega-small.gif

LOL! :D My younger brother was such a wimp, we couldn't even watch Dr Who, or a load of other 1960's children's TV programmes! o_O He's been like that all his life :rolleyes:

:)That looks tasty.:)

A locally made product ;) :thumbsup:

I know what you mean Rachel when we were kids, esp when visiting our Great aunt Ruth nothing but peppermints.:(:thumbsdown:

Having been through 2 world wars, and years of rationing, my maternal grandparents were inveterate hoarders - of everything, and had a large cupboard packed with cakes, chocolate, candy of all kinds - even cooking chocolate! :D It mainly stayed in the cupboard though :D

What was the Leslie Nielsen spoof of the Gary Oldman vampire movie called? Mel Brooks as Van Helsing. (Never mind, I can google it.)

Let's Scare Jessica to Death was such a scary movie that I built myself a two-foot-high cross with a stand. (The description in the TV Guide had nothing to do with the plot of the movie.)
Gretchen Corbett (Rockford's lawyer until she wanted to be paid what she was worth) as the little sister vampire, a pale redhead whose name I really should remember as the principal vampire, and Zohra Lampert (?) as Jessica.
The principal vampire had been drowned, so you couldn't dig her up and put a stake through her heart, even if you knew what was going on. She just came up out of the lake when she pleased. And when you realized how much trouble you were in and tried to run for it, you realized everyone around you had already been bitten.

And it would take a lot of willpower to run away from Gretchen Corbett, or her big sister.

Have to google that too.

Where is that two-foot-high cross now, I wonder.

But I'm sure this will do the trick:
auUXBJr.jpg

Both funny films Jer! :D Great pic! :D :thumbsup:

I don't know what slagging is but I'm hoping it means beaten nigh unto death. :mad:

So I'm not the only one that doesn't know what that means!

Sorry guys, the OED defines it as "an insulting and critical attack". It was both "brutal" and "sustained"! :p I was sure to let him know that he is now known, throughout the world, as the Butter-fingered Oaf! :mad: :D :thumbsup:

Outstanding photo Dwight :thumbsup:

Well, I just "free-poured" a generous amount of Wild Turkey 101 (what a great name!) in a glass. Watching baseball with my Chihuahua and my Lab. :)
Cheers!

Good for you Vince :) I had a few beers, and watched The Big Lebowski :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I like the slightly longer bolster it works well and the Stag looks great! Is that the vintage Sambar stag? How do you like the blade?:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Mark, yes that Sambar will be many decades old :) The blade is just entrancing Mark, I've been so busy the past few days, I haven't had a chance to get any outdoor pics, but here's an indoor one of one of the others. I think these are the only Damascus Lambsfoot blades ever produced :) :thumbsup:

dZNQMWO.jpg

I think we'll be seeing some great pics in a week or two :) :thumbsup:

I'm glad I'm not alone, Dave. We can be weird together :confused:

I use my pretty knives, but can I be weird too?

:D :thumbsup:

Lamb picture to keep Jack happy until he's had his first cup of coffee. ;)

Yeah, he should be up soon!

Thanks a lot guys :D I've been up a few hours, but haven't had a chance to check in until now, smashing pics :) :thumbsup:

Here's another Jack I like:
63u1yZK.jpg

DfINPO9.jpg

Fantastic Vince :cool: Has the etch on your blade been Flitzed away, or is it just hiding in the light? :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend.

dZNQMWO.jpg

LOL! Thanks Kevin, great pic :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Vince, yes I love all three of my Guardians knives, but I think I like the ‘19 the best. Just don’t tell the others! My Horn 2017 is the safe queen, so I can use the Ebony ‘18 and Ironwood ‘19 guilt free.

:) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I’ve been assured by friends whose taste in film I respect, that Watchmen is a creditable adaptation. After seeing From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen though, I refuse to watch any more film versions of Alan Moore’s comics. V for Vendetta was one of my most loved books as a teenager, so I don’t want to sully my memories of it either, with someone else’s reimagining of it. I don’t know if we have any H.P. Lovecraft fans here, but I expect we’ll see a film adaptation sooner or later of Moore’s recently completed take on the Cthulhu Mythos: Providence.

9gPqXBb.jpg

I'd certainly agree with your friends Chin, The Black Freighter storyline was omitted, but can be watched separately, and there is a slight simplification of the 'major event', but I think it was well-filmed, respectful of the book, and very enjoyable to watch. Just the opening credits are a treat :) I'm far more critical of V for Vendetta, but it has its moments ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for this, Jack. As we’ve discussed before, I think, The Great Sheffield Flood was the impetus for some cutlers and working cutlers to migrate to Australia and probably America too.

John Grayson’s works on the Malin Bridge on the Loxley River were destroyed in the flood and he subsequently set up shop in Melbourne:

View attachment 1104702

A hairdressers salon and ‘Yoga Space’ now occupy this spot on Brunswick Street, north of the Melbourne CBD.

I think the point has been made before in this thread, that these cutlers and the working cutlers who had migrated to America in the 1830s and ‘40s, and worked for the Northfield and Waterville Cutlery companies evidently did not bring the Lambsfoot pattern with them, so presumably it was developed after that time.

Makes the blood boil. I suppose it’s no coincidence that the events of the so called ‘Sheffield Outrages’ occurred soon after this.

Yes indeed, my friend, the Dale Dyke Reservoir is directly above the Loxley Valley, which runs on to the (then) small hamlet of Malin Bridge. Everything along the rivers Loxley and Don (into which the Loxley feeds) was devastated. Thanks for the great pic :) :thumbsup:

From the point of view of historical research, the flood is a useful marker in a number of respects, and the cynical compensation claims of the masters making for interesting and informative reading. Interestingly, the most militant union, the Saw-Grinders, had their historic base in Loxley, and the hills around the valley :thumbsup:

I think I’m the second Guardian to cross the International Date Line - our Kiwi Bro, Duncan @Campbellclanman is the first.

So I’ll take the opportunity to wish the rest of you a Happy Friday evening, when it gets there. ;):thumbsup::)

agfJfWX.jpg

Cheers mate :) Hope you'll be crossing again before too long :) :thumbsup:

Jack what an exquisite looking knife. :thumbsup: I'd happily sell one of my more important internal organs to possess that :D.

I'm about to step out the door to go to the (according to some :D) near tropical climes of North Yorkshire for a few days. It's my rosewood lambsfoot that will be going with me as those whip-cracking Tikes usually find me some chores to do whilst I'm there :rolleyes::D
UPhiztj.jpg

I expect this thread will of reached at least 950 pages by the time I get back...:eek:
Hope everyone has a great weekend. :thumbsup:

LOL! Thanks David :D :thumbsup:

Yes, you'll not get so much as a free cup of tea mate! :D Have a great time, and I hope you don't get worked too hard my friend :)

When we get to 1000 pages I'll do a few giveaways ;) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians (it's taken me over an hour to get to this point! :eek: :D), hope everyone has a good Friday :) Stepping out with Lucy again ;) :thumbsup:

ky1UzsN.jpg

Back