1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006

Thank you, my friends, I'm sure things will work out for the good! :thumbsup: You are all fine bunch of fellows :D I couldn't reply until now, the power has been off all afternoono_O

mitch4ging, donn, OLd_gUY and 4 others like this.
  2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    @donn - David I always love your Tavern shots and this one especially made me smile and as I looked at it I began to sing Willie Nelson's song... fullsizeoutput_165e.jpeg
    Gravedigger
    When you dig my grave
    Could you make it shallow
    So that I can feel the rain...

Really enjoying the Cathedral Chronicles with Pearl my friend.

3. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Thank you Dwight! I'm trying to accurately date the thing; Bernie says 1827 was the last date Jonathan Crookes was made, but can the knife really be that old? It is in great shape if it is; still tight, no wobble or blade play, and a beartrap spring that is almost a nail breaker. Iron frame and horn handles seem correct, but I don't know. I hope Jack will help with dating the thing.

I love your barehead stag! I hope more will be made.

I recently sharpened up my DI Damascus, and in the process tested it for carbon/stainless with some cold blue. It appears to be stainless, as the blueing didn't faze it, which blew me away. It is now scary sharp and doing it's work.

[​IMG]

4. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    It is an amazing find. I knew it was ancient. Are the bolsters integral by chance?

dc50 likes this.
  5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Absolutely! @dc50, I would be moving to - or at the least crying myself to sleep :( Glad you can manage to find a new place to call home. I hope the squirrels and birds take to you :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ray

dc50 and Prester John like this.
  6. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    They are not integral, nor do they match up side to side as one is shorter than the other. I'll get some close-ups of it and post them when I'm able.

cigarrodog and Fodderwing like this.
  7. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, Ray :D I will be about 30 min away, but at least I will be able to see them, as well as the beautiful ranchland and rolling hills. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I know the feeling Barry :D :thumbsup:

You too Dwight, great pic (I thought you had fed your knife to the nightcrawlers when I looked at it on my phone! :D) :thumbsup:

Sure hope so Dave, though I don't think you and the missus should be having to uproot like this :mad: Hope the move goes OK my friend :thumbsup:

I'll have a proper look when I get my specs back Barry, it's worth noting that the last time the heart and pistol mark was used was 1990 (edit - actually it was still owned by Slaters until they finally closed very recently) :thumbsup:

That surprises me about the Damascus Barry, it was ordered and paid for as carbon steel, and when I originally saw the steel it had a patina of rust from storage. I'd advise folks to be wary about treating it like stainless :thumbsup:

Certainly a beautiful place you're moving to Dave :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  9. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Thank you, Jack. :) Its time for a change, I think we will be pleased once we get settled. The first place I'm going for a beer is the old Rocky View Hotel.:p
    [​IMG]

10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Old, but not ancient, I think :thumbsup:

Looks like a great choice Dave :) :thumbsup:

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Morning Guardians, rushing about this morning, carrying some nice ebony! :)

[​IMG]

Have a good day folks, the weekend is nearly here :) :thumbsup:

12. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Have a great day Jack! The good ole ebony is always an excellent choice.:thumbsup::D

cigarrodog, Prester John and OLd_gUY like this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Dave, just went to have a shave, and realised I'd be better waiting until I have my specs! :rolleyes: I don't want to lose an ear! :D :thumbsup:

14. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    The other morning I spent at least 10min looking for mine until I realized I had them on.:oops::rolleyes:

15. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Those knives are great finds; thanks for posting them. :thumbsup: It's great seeing the historical lambsfoot knives that folk post on here :):thumbsup:. And that cane is a work of art to.

LOL Jack! Maybe the camera is like computers that learn your internet browsing habits except this one has learnt what it's usually being used to take pictures of...:)

LOL Dwight! I've often been accused of making folk swear but never of making them break out into song :D. Those are great words by the way.:thumbsup:
    Glad you've enjoyed the Pearl adventure. Depending on my plans it may be Liverpool tomorrow.

Dave that looks perfect. Once you get yourself settled in I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we expect some gratuitous Lambsfoot and ale shots from within that fine establishment.:thumbsup:

Dave, I've got you beat. The other day I briefly put my car keys 'down' then couldn't find them again. It took me almost a minute of frantic searching to realize I was gripping them in my teeth.... :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good morning Guardians. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

16. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Haha, keys between your teeth! :p I most defiantly will do the Lambsfoot Ale shots the second pub will be The Half Hitch Brewing Company.
    half-hitch-brewing-company-L-2.jpg
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, Half/Stop, OLd_gUY and 9 others like this.
  17. donn

Sep 14, 2002
    Oh my.... :cool:
    Please don't take offence Dave if I say I'd of moved house just to have that place on my doorstep! :D

18. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    No offense taken my friend its to bad your not living here I would have someone to have a pint with. :p big un.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  19. donn

Sep 14, 2002
    LOL! Yip, I'd rather go there than have you come here. :D I think you'd be grossly disappointed with the north-west of England as a vacation spot. :eek:
    I just looked Half Hitch up. So they have a place in your old spot and one where you've moved to! That's a mite handy. :D:thumbsup: There beers look nice to and they do a pub quiz! I thought they were very much a British affair; good to see you Canadians like sitting in a bar arguing over irrelevant general knowledge as well. :) :thumbsup:

20. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    The weekend is upon us. Going to the range to qualify to renew my concealed carry license today. Y'all have a great weekend. IMG_1612.jpeg