Gym knives

What knives do you guys prefer carrying to the gym? I think lightweight and rust resistance are a couple of factors

Something from the spyderco salt line. Detent is a huge factor for me. I don't trust anything but a back lock to stay closed if the spine of the blade isn't against a pocket inseam, and maybe not even then depending on what I'm doing.

My most carried knife for rigorous gym/pool/outdoor activities is the Pacific Salt fully serrated.
gYeVvUk.jpg

Do you all often find a use for a knife while working out at the gym? It always seemed to get in my way or catch on something or just dig in uncomfortably. I leave it in the bag in the locker.
Not the gym specifically but during other similar activities yes. I've cut many a burrito or sandwich in half in nothing but swimming trunks at the pool, beach, river....etc. And even while at the gym, you never know when you might need to dispatch of a rabid fox/bear that wanders in, or rescue one of the old people that get stuck in the machinery (my gym is about 90% retirees, no offense meant, I've showed more than a few folks that have never been in a gym how to safely use the equipment).

But seriously, I believe in always having a knife where legal. Over the years I've found what works perfectly unobtrusive for me. I'm curious what knives you've tried that haven't worked?

Do you all often find a use for a knife while working out at the gym? It always seemed to get in my way or catch on something or just dig in uncomfortably. I leave it in the bag in the locker.
Have a home gym and of course don't need or use a blade when lifting or cycling but I often just wear lightweight running shorts during the day even after a workout especially in the summer, hotter than Hades here in the summer. When going to the beach to surf carry the DF2 Salt in a small backpack.

Not the gym specifically but during other similar activities yes. I've cut many a burrito or sandwich in half in nothing but swimming trunks at the pool, beach, river....etc. And even while at the gym, you never know when you might need to dispatch of a rabid fox/bear that wanders in, or rescue one of the old people that get stuck in the machinery (my gym is about 90% retirees, no offense meant, I've showed more than a few folks that have never been in a gym how to safely use the equipment).

But seriously, I believe in always having a knife where legal. Over the years I've found what works perfectly unobtrusive for me. I'm curious what knives you've tried that haven't worked?
Other activities are fine, just for me, when I'm at the gym a knife clipped to my pocket seems to get in the way, or digs in if I'm doing certain exercises. Maybe it's my shorts I use. And of course it's a no-no when doing martial arts training or sparring.

Nocturnal13 -

I don't think you can beat the MIDNIGHT MANAGER a small but versatile Swiss Army Knife for taking to the gym. It out does all the other knives suggested so far. It should be perfect for someone called Nocturnal13 and I'm sure it will be a great conversation piece with the other sex. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nocturnal13 -

I don't think you can beat the MIDNIGHT MANAGER a small but versatile Swiss Army Knife for taking to the gym. It out does all the other knives suggested so far. It should be perfect for someone called Nocturnal13 and I'm sure it will be a great conversation piece with the other sex. Enjoy!

Exactly how does this out do all the other knives suggested so far?

It doesn't even fit the expressed requirements of the OP. A SAK is a fine knife but corrosion resistant it is not. Lots of nooks and crannies to get sweat in that can't easily be cleaned. And where is it going to be carried it? A clip seems like a basic necessity.

In my opinion, formed through experience, every other knife suggested in this thread is a better option, especially anything from the salt line.

Back