1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gym knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Nocturnal13, Jul 31, 2019.

1. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Like in the joint!

onekerf likes this.
  2. Matthew Lytle

Matthew Lytle

Jul 31, 2019
    I don't go to the gym often, but I work for my city's public works department and the bugout works fine for all the heavy lifting and running around that I do during the day. I'm sure the coated blade only helps with corrosion resistance

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  3. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I trade the blade for headphones

4. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    SAKS use stainless steel for the blade and tools.
    They are as corrosion resistant as any other stainless knife.
    Leastwise I've never had one rust on me, not even in Florida or on a boat from St. Croix, USVI to Tampa, FL. in the summer.

Nooks and crannies that are hard to clean can be said about any folding knife.

That particular SAK has a clip to attach to a belt loop or your keys.

5. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I generally carry an 18" khukuri. People are more apt to let me work in for some reason:confused:

I don't carry a thing to the gym that I don't have to. I go at 3:45 in the morning, so showering and whatnot will be handled when I get home as I live less than a mile from my gym. I don't even bring a wallet. Phone, ear buds, water, and my car keys. Phone goes in my pocket for music, ear buds go on my ears and hooked to said phone. Water bottle in hand. Keys on a hook by the door. I don't want anything else hindering me when I want maximum range of motion.

I guess if I needed a knife/tool I could go get the skeletool I keep in the glovebox, but I have never once needed to cut or fix something at the gym.

6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I've purchased a lot of used SAKs and have seen plenty of corrosion. A Pacific salt will not rust, period. There are no liners for stuff to get stuck in like many knives.

And as for the clip? I'm not dangling a Vic from my gym shorts. I need a dedicated clip that secures a knife in place. I've taken the salt water skiing with no fear of it moving at all (I did tighten it down like I do with most clips).

The recommendation was off, especially when contextualized to be better than everyone else's recommendation. The recommendation wasn't even backed up with a claim of personal experience. But hey, maybe I'm off base and the OP wants a vic dangling and flopping around his waste on a belt loop clip while working out (not a lot of gym shorts have belt loops) . To each their own I guess.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Hawgsnawt and onekerf like this.
  7. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    But that's different than what you would be wearing and doing in a gym.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  8. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Get a Kom Kom and carve some soap in the shower... x6251100245_l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dwUpDZx9cD.jpg images-1.jpeg

Lapedog, jux t and DocJD like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    At first I was worried reading the title this would be the "tubesock sheath" thread all over again ... whewww

My gym is downstairs so usually I just carry water and a towel or two ...

But the bar is just in the next room and always have a BK15 and a few others there.

DocJD likes this.
  10. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    I carry a knife everywhere, including to the gym. I try to remember to put it in my bag but many times when wearing shorts or track pants I clip it to my waist band on a bit of an angle, outside the pants so no sweat contact, and my T-shirt covers it completely. It carrys so well in this spot that I always forget it's there.

I'll realize it when I'm doing squats, when I'm bottomed out I can feel it there, but it's not uncomfortable in any way so I just carry on and finish my workout.

The knife I had on me during workout this morning was my old Emerson Specwar.

Nocturnal13 and mdrgn79 like this.
  11. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    None. It’s silly.

12. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I always like to have a cutting tool. You never know when it will come in handy, from freak emergencies to cutting that annoying thread dangling from your gym shorts. Given a lot of types of fitness attire, bouncing around, sweating, and the variability of public perception; I prefer something light, inexpensive, nicely distributed, and relatively stainless. In these kind of environments, I actually prefer a small fixed blade to a folder. Look in the "neck knife" category, which may be deceptively named given that a lot of these can be effectively stowed in a pocket or clipped to something.

13. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    My knives dont go to the gym...they get enough exercise elsewhere. ;) lol.

416isToronto, Lapedog and Nocturnal13 like this.
  14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Why would anyone carry a knife to the gym? Asking for a friend....

I don't like stuff in my pockets or waistband when I'm working out.

15. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I think it's silly to not carry a knife when you can.

16. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    You never know when an edged tool will come in handy or for what reason you might need to cut something.

Nocturnal13, CPM3V and mdrgn79 like this.
  17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    True. I'll carry a knife to church, but not to the gym. I hate stuff in my gym shorts. If I need something, I can always pick up a 25 lb weight and smash something with it! lol

I do have a SAK on my keychain, so I guess that counts.

seabil and Nocturnal13 like this.
  18. matty308

matty308

Mar 20, 2014
    A knife in the gym would be an annoyance and get in the way for me

19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Don't visit the gym, but if I did it would be a small SAK for emergencies.

20. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    I always have my Satu in my pocket when I lift. If Im doing cardio it’s on the machine next to my keys.
    Never gets in the way and hasn’t been an issue at all.