Half Stop or Not?

I've never made a decision to buy or not buy due to whether or not there's a half- stop.

If I was forced to take a side, and all other things were equal, I'd probably be pro half-stop.

The only reason is the corners do seem to improve the chances of getting good "snap" upon opening and closing.

I have great examples of square and cam tangs though, so any preference is very minimal.

I've learned to accept a half stop, on some knives. Even though I see no reason for a blade to stop half way open or closed. If it is not a nail breaker and doesn't bounce when closing, I live with it.

To me a smooth opening knife just feels well finished.

I believe it's harder for a company to grind and tune a cammed tang.
So I look at it as kind of a manufacturing short cut, it's easier to make a square tang than a cammed tang.
I may be wrong about that. :confused:

Half stop is practical when the spring is a nail breaker. It sure saved a few fingers. But if the spring is 5-6, with or without is unimportant.
It is better to have one on this one! :cool:
Massoptier-serpette.jpg

I don't really have a preference.
I took the time to find this post from Kerry Hampton which might shed some light on why you see one or the other.
The thread he refers to is eluding me. I'll post the link if I can find it.

I think half stops or cam ends are just something you learn to deal with if you like slip joints. The way they are made is traditional based on the pattern and that's just the way it is. In the thread I linked above, I posted this simple rule of thumb about how to determine the kind of tang a knife will have:

For those wondering which knives traditionally have half stops and which knives have cam ends, here is a simple(and GENERAL) rule of thumb: Round-ended knives have cam ends ie., Whittlers, stockmen, toothpicks, toenails, knives with sunk joints, etc. Square ended knives (some of which may have a radiused end but are NOT CONSIDERED ROUND ENDS) have half stops, ie Trappers, jacks, hunters, etc.

Keep in mind, with slip joints, there are exceptions that defy generalizations BUT this generalization works most of the time. You can find knives that have both half stop and cam end blades in them. I like those because they have something for everyone. ;)

I think that a well executed half-stop adds another element for us knife-nuts to ooh and ah over, and for a maker to show off their craftsmanship.
That said, I don't care for them on my knives for practical reasons; I also have cut myself more times on those with than those without.

I like them :)

But I'm good without them too.

Also, the 35 rocks, no matter what you think about half stops

for safety I prefer "half stop" just
when close the blade, not when open it.
I would like a "quarter stop" like this, smooth when open it and stop when close it.

Rarreola, the bottom blade wouldn't have any pressure keeping the blade open.

I like half-stops, for me it helps with one handed closing.

:rolleyes:
_halfs10.png

The images missing from my post above..........:rolleyes:

I've learned to accept a half stop, on some knives. Even though I see no reason for a blade to stop half way open or closed. If it is not a nail breaker and doesn't bounce when closing, I live with it.

To me a smooth opening knife just feels well finished.

I believe it's harder for a company to grind and tune a cammed tang.
So I look at it as kind of a manufacturing short cut, it's easier to make a square tang than a cammed tang.
I may be wrong about that.
:confused:
I'm no expert on this but here's a quote from a maker that most would consider to be.
Making a knife with half-stops has a PITA Factor of of 10, whereas a cam-end knife is a 7. Flush the joint and the PITA Factor jumps to a 12 or 13...just sayin ;) (and that's on a single blade knife :eek:)

....but I still like em. :D

To expand on what Gary started.

I hope everyone can appreciate how difficult it is to make the bolsters, tang end, AND SPRING all flush AND make the back of the spring flush with the liners in all three positions:eek: :cool: :eek: . I'm happy if I can get the tang end flush with the bolsters and back spring flush in all three positions. (See mine below, same knife in avatar) Making the spring
Making a knife with half-stops has a PITA Factor of of 10, whereas a cam-end knife is a 7. Flush the joint and the PITA Factor jumps to a 12 or 13...just sayin ;) (and that's on a single blade knife :eek:)end flush as well is HARD TO DO.

....but I still like em. :D

KnifeHead said:
Old knives ROCK! They were made to be used not to win any dang contests! The flush joints on the knives in the 3rd image are SCARY FLUSH! This is the kind of thing that truely inspires a great knifemaker. Thanks Dave!

It's not a deal-breaker if a knife lacks one, but I love a good half-stop. Given two otherwise identical knives, I'll pick the one with the half-stop every time.

I like the ease of opening/closing partway, repositioning my hand, and manipulating the blade with a half-stop. I also like the predictability: I always know where the blade is going to pause. I love the satisfying click-click noise and the feel of the tang dropping into place, too; that's pure joy.

I can live with either but prefer that my knives have half stops . However , I do wish that The guys designing the blades for half stops would think about putting a small radius at the corners . I realize that it would add to the process to do it , but it really helps on blades with real strong opening efforts . With opening efforts of 5 or below , I do not think half stops are needed at all or desirable .

Harry

Last edited:
I prefer half stops on slippies. I view them as a safety device. I feel sure the half stop slows down the opening and closing of a slippie, but I don't really care about speed.

I judge half stop or not based upon the total design of the knife, not a black/white decision. I find half stops can close a little too quickly if you've got any hand problems. I find it easier to slow-close a cam end.

I do not like half-stops to the point that I do doc it points when considering buying it. It has been the case for me that when a knife with a stiff spring and a half-stop that my finger slips off the nail nick if/when my hands are wet or sweaty. I do have a TC barlow (2017 forum barlow) with a half-stop that doesn't bother me nearly as much as others because there's enough blade showing that I never use the nail nick and simply grasp the blade like an easy open design. I have an improved trapper that has almost got me a few time, especially if I left too much mineral oil on it and my hands are wet (I like trappers around the kitchen, clean blade/ dirty blade system).

Overall, I greatly prefer a medium to light pull without a half-stop. There's a lot of preference to it. I don't mind a stiff pull without a half-stop but just not a fan of a stiff half-stop where it feels like it tries to dislodge the blade from my finger nail half-way through opening and closing. I really like a smooth action and half-stops ruin that for me.

I generally dislike half-stops (square joints) but it is not a deal breaker. If the pull is moderate, I really don't notice it much. It's only on knives with really strong backsprings where I really dislike them. Nothing like having a sharp object that wants to suddenly move to a very specific position. I prefer something that is more of a consistent and smooth opening and closing process.

Exception - the screwdriver blade on a Victorinox SAK. There are times when you want a right-angled screwdriver so it makes sense there. I never want a right-angled knife-blade on a slipjoint, so there is no reason for me for a knife to want tend to remain open half-way.

I'm not sure how true it is but I have heard it claimed that halfstops sweep the pivot area free of debris better because the squared shape causes the corners to sweep the entire pivot area.

I like both, something fun about the halfstop I don’t know why? Used to prefer it, but my usual carry,(Enigma) has no half stop. Nor do a few of my favs, CSC forum 2015, and my new GEC bull moose. So I’ll go for either as long as their done right.

Back