Handgun Carry in the Woods?

I seldom carried a handgun in the woods unless I was hunting with it. I carry now, too much foolishness going on.

That was me too unless I had plans of doing some plinking. Now, there is a lot of foolishness going on, too much really.

Was over in the "big country" back side of the ranch Friday. Took big iron back there as there are lots of "lions, tigers and bears oh my!", in the way back over there. Smith 610 with 5" bbl.

2jtqVUB.jpg

That 10mm should do it. Nice holster by the way! I'm a 41 mag fan and about the same thing. Wish I had a 5" 41 mag Smith, but I do have 8 3/8" and 4" models. The Model 57 Mountain Gun is my hard hitter if I should feel I want to lug the N frame around.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire my first big bore N frame was a 4" Model 57 (in 1974). I owned a 6" 657 in the late 80's. I thought it was more accurate than my Model 29's. At least I shot it more accurately :D

Great cartridge the .41 Mag, the Mountain Gun would be a nice carry.

Only use belt holster, as it's the only one I find comfortable. Whenever I head into the woods (AKA my back yard), I just toss on my Colt Competition 1911. Whether it is concealed or not depends on the weather

22-rimfire 22-rimfire my first big bore N frame was a 4" Model 57 (in 1974). I owned a 6" 657 in the late 80's. I thought it was more accurate than my Model 29's. At least I shot it more accurately :D

Great cartridge the .41 Mag, the Mountain Gun would be a nice carry.
That was my experience as well in terms of accuracy relative to my own shooting. (I eventually sold the 44's.) My first 41 mag was the 8 3/8" M57 (blue).... that thing shot like a rifle! Got it in the late 80's. It was my replacement of a 6" Python for whitetail hunting. Never really could shoot that Python very well and I didn't think the 357 was quite big enough. I know that folks hunt deer with 357's, but I believed gun authors of that time (and still do) with regard to a reasonable minimum whitetail caliber in a handgun. This is about the time when I decided I really didn't care so much about "scoring" and was more interested in the hunt. Of course, I still tried. I later got a 480 Ruger as I didn't want to mount a scope on the M57. I wanted to be able to reach out to 100 yds if I wanted to. Now, hunting doesn't mean as much to me these days as it used to. Plus I developed a red meat allergy from ticks and am very hesitant to eat venison at all now. I haven't had a juicy burger in years and I miss them.

Thanks 22-rimfire! That's an old holster I made many years ago. I keep telling myself I need to make a new one but sometimes stuff for yourself just keeps getting pushed to the back of the line. I recently had to put a horse down for a buddy, he was out of the country on a trip and called me from Spain asking me to do him this favor. Vet said the horse wasn't gonna make it and it was in terrible pain from colic. So my son and I hauled him to the "bone pile" at the ranch, every ranch has one. I'd brought along the 610. Between my son and I we've put down quite a few critters in out ranching careers. I've used darn near everything from .45-70 down to .22. Left ear to right eye and right ear to left eye and where those lines intersect on the front and about a half inch above and they will drop now. NOTHING I have ever used or seen dropped a horse like that 10mm did! It was impressive.

The 10mm makes a big hole and that makes a difference. That's one of the reasons I moved to the 480 Ruger over the 41 mag for deer hunting. Plus when I was ready to buy, the scope or optics mounting options were better on the handguns I was considering at the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 10mm, 41, or 44 mag for deer hunting. Some people like the 454 Casull or the S&W boomers (460 an 500). But the 480 Ruger is plenty for me (with a modest amount of recoil increase over the 44) and anything that I will ever likely hunt, ever. Neither the 460 or 500 was available when I chose the 480 Ruger and I decided that I had "enough".

Bigger hole = higher chance for a good bleed out or they drop like a rock. Heavier bullet increases the bone breaking potential and penetration usually. I would use the 480 for bear hunting if I went.

I usually carry a 1911 or SW 357 k frame on a belt in a uncle Mike's. I like the 357 as you can shoot different loads. I use to run some snake shot and carry extra 38/357. It will take bear and cougar aswell as deer if needed. The 1911 is slimer easier to reload with a mag. Usually Carr an extra mag. Sometime I just sling carry a Mossberg 500 and take out the plunger. I'll run 3 bird shot in the tube and two 00 buck, 2 slugs and a flare in the butt shell holder. This one has a 20" rib vent barrel with tru glow riffle sights. But if just trail hiking usually the 357. People dont seem to be put off by the revolver. I guess it dosnt scream wana be Rambo more of an Andy Griffith vibe

The only time I carry a pistol (9 mm) in the woods is when I am looking for a wounded animal and don’t want to carry a rifle...I think that’s been twice...

Cheers/bg

Well I did it, I finally built a new holster for that Smith 610.

Ow2S1mT.jpg

I've worn it now for 3 full 12 hour days in the shop to break it in and I have to say I'm very pleased with how well it handles the weight, much better than the old one.

The wife has been busy too and built herself a new one for her Colt Mustang:

vGh5Asq.jpg

Usually pack the Redhawk in an old leather belt/holster that was my dads (for nostalgia's sake) when out in the woods hunting, more for finishing off a wounded animal or possible bear/snake encounter than two legged predators, but would work on them too!

I pocket carry a .357 Mag 5-shot revolver..... or I carry a bigger gun in a 7X Leather Chest Rig. The later is very comfortable.

We worked some cattle a couple of days ago. The wife watching these two old cows duke it out:

Jbi7NTR.jpg

I've got this calf roped:

B06uFgw.jpg

Fletch, part of the ground crew was carrying a Sig in an IWB:

HhxNquB.jpg

How do you carry a handgun in the woods? Do you typically conceal it? I generally just carry in a belt holster as I am not really concerned about a "fast draw" in most cases. Even if I carry something that I think is for bear protection, I still use a typical belt holster.

Here in the SE Texas woods, the threats are little-to-no different than in SE Texas cities, so I would, most likely, carry one of my preferred police duty and personal-time carry pistols, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special or Premier II, in a Kydex holster made by Blade-Tech or JM Custom Kydex. If it better suited my mood, I might carry a stainless steel Ruger GP100 or Speed Six in Milt Sparks leather. If I anticipated the strong probability of getting swamp/flood/bayou/creek water inside my weapon, I would substitute a Glock G19 or G17, probably in a holster made by JMCK.

I am inclined toward the ability to draw quickly, because dangerous feral humans and dangerous feral dogs exist in the SE Texas woods, more so than in the small, well-policed city, in which we live, which is surrounded by sprawling Houston.

If on my wife’s family’s land, in semi-rural Montgomery County, I might opt for open carry. Otherwise, I will, probably, conceal the handgun.

A stick, to probe for snakes, and if applicable, move them out of the way, is the norm. I am not afraid of snakes, and would rather live, and let live.

I work in the backcountry in Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho or Alaska for days or weeks at a time and throughout all seasons of the year. Primarily mountains, then foothills or along river systems, and almost always away from trails. Usually with one other person, though sometimes with three to five other people operating out of field camps. Have had a few brown and black bear encounters over the years.

Weight is always an issue, despite 25+ years of professional military and backcountry experience, close study of what I do and don't need, as well as keeping up with performance gear. So I give a lot of consideration to pros and cons of every ounce and pound that I can. Always carry a day pack (usually 25-35L Osprey) with hip strap, or sometimes larger packs if carrying large GPS manpacks, remote sensing gear, camera or other specialized equipment. When working in Alaska, we carry bear spray and issued Remington 870s with slugs, or have the choice to carry ported Weatherby .375 H&H Mags.

Down here, I used to just carry bear spray, but had a particularly close call with a bear a few years ago that made me regret not carrying a firearm that day. Have tried lots of options since, but for the last few years have carried and loved a Gen 4 Glock 20 with Underwood 220gr. hard cast for bear country, or Hornady Custom factory XTP in 180gr. if I am more likely to run into lighter or two-legged trouble. Both rounds are like laser beams in my particular G20 fitted with yellow Trijicon HDs.

The G20 and all of my other backcountry handguns ride in Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holsters usually strong side IWB with a Wilderness Instructor's belt, which works fine with the Osprey daypacks. If riding on ATVs a lot, will sometimes carry cross draw, but rarely. If wearing Simms chest waders, I can add the Chesty Puller harness for chest carry. Rob added a removable retention strap for the 10mm rig that attaches by Chicago screw if in waders.

Since I have been using the 10mm, I haven't looked twice at my old standbys. The G20 stoked with 180 gr. XTP and IWB is also great for getting to and from the field and has the same manual of arms as my EDC G19, which is a plus. Of course, bear spray is always on my hip strap, and the 870 always comes along in the crew vehicles, ATV, or canoe and goes on the shoulder in dense bear areas or after sightings in areas that we are unable to move out of/avoid.

Last edited:
I tend to carry wherever I am ... in town ... in the woods ... riding in the mountains ... or around home ... you just never know ... and have had situations happen that you wouldn't expect in places you wouldn't expect ...
mostly I carry for two legged predators ... but if camping or going riding in areas with bears or mountain lions I may switch to a revolvers with heavier loads ...

now this I have to say be very careful ... some jurisdictions may not prosecute but many and most will ... you can not legally fire warning shots ... one of the first thing any instructor should drill into you ... if you draw your weapon it is only to use it in defense ... not to scare someone off ... as you can be charged for brandishing a firearm or unlawful discharge of a firearm and even assault ... so be very careful with this ...

I don't scare easy and have been carrying for over 15 years. Encountered many people in the woods and never had issues. These two guys didn't give off a good vibe and the fact they looked at us, drove 50 yards, fired from their truck, got out and reloaded, and started walking towards us with guns in hand. I believed that I had cover and 50 yards between us. Last resort for me is to take someone's life, so I dumped the mag which only took a few seconds. Reloaded and gave them the choice to leave. Didn't have to say anything, but they knew that I was willing to defend us. Thank God that they turned around. I get crap by some saying I should have shot them because they might have victimized someone else. I hope they learned that the next people may not give them a 2nd chance. I also don't want to deal with the scrutiny of the CJ system in CA if I don't have too. Our prosecutors and anti gun laws are insane here, especially when it comes to "Assault Weapons", even though they're registered and legally owned.

Of all the posters who carry for protection against 2 legged predators, it seems at least 90% wouldn’t be an issue if we let go of drug prohibition. Pot farms are usually run by criminals. Jails wouldn’t be overcrowded if there weren’t so many inmates locked up for drug crimes.(selling or buying economy sized) I have no interest or intention of using drugs myself, but I can’t see why we spend so much money trying to control what people put into their own bodies. Violent, recidivist felons should get either 10 years hard labor or short tracked to the gas chamber/firing squad.

Sorry if I’m being political, but I have met a couple normal seeming youths a few miles off the trail. After a half handle of whiskey between 5 of us the two guests decided they were going to take 2 large rocks and destroy a friend’s brain pan. I hadn’t been paying attention, but by the time Ibecame aware of what they were up to my buddy was lying in a creek with 1 rock hit, the second rock being carried over to finish the job. I was unarmed except for a 4” blade which I didn’t use. I told the young man with the unused rock to drop it, which he did. I told them both to walk ahead of me toward the trail while I supported my friend, who could barely walk. After reaching the trail, I told them to disappear for good and got my buddy to the car as fast as I and the mutual friend could. I guess had I a handgun I could have justified kneecapping both of these creeps before taking my buddy to the hospital. Their attitude while discussing an attempted murder was so casual, and their lack of guilt afterward made it obvious it wasn’t their first. I went to the nearest town to get some information on these guys, but didn’t file a police report:it turned out they were CI’s used by law enforcement to bust drug dealers.

Since I’ve crossed the line into political I hope to make one last point; making “moral” crimes into actual crimes most (but not all) “vice” corrupts the system put in place to protect the innocent from the evil. Cartels and gangs are a by-product of such legislation; LEO can be paid to “look away” or profit from the seizure of property; If everyone who could get a cc permit and use it, and not have to run from evil but do our part to remove the 2 legged predators from the society they prey upon, our children and grandchildren would be better off, I think. And they wouldn’t dare corrupt their bodies with vice until they were old enough to be responsible for themselves. You can bet your last dollar drug dealers will sell to 12 year olds. A liquor store won’t risk a $10,000 fine to make a $10 sale

Back