Hanshee kukri

I was looking through HI's catalog on the link given to us by Karda. Can I have some spec's like weight and length on it? It appears to be just what I am looking for. Can I order this kukri, is it still available through special order? I love the design and think it will be my next non dotd purchase. Any info would be much appreciated.

yes it is still available through special order-- I kept missing the ones that came up on the DOTD so I just special ordered one-- its helpful that there are pictures and a model the kami already have to work with -- just give them the size you want and they can get it going, after the deposit with auntie its just a matter of patience.

Damn that looks good! Looks like a bunch of whacked off fingers by youre vise:eek:

Awesome, I am very excited now. I'm not sure what it is but the Hanshee just speaks to me. It is exactly the type of kukri I've been dreaming about. I want a 20 inch 20 oz Hanshee so bad i can taste it hahah. I understand perfection takes time but in gerneral how long does it take to make/receive after the deposit has been made? Thanks for the info guys, i was a little bummed today after missing the balanced DOTD today by a mere few minutes but my frown is now upside down.

It varies depending on shop workload. Special orders must be worked into the shops regular schedule in between orders for the store and upcoming offerings for the forum here. It's always best to just consult with Auntie Yangdu for availability, pricing and approximate wait time.

Damn that looks good! Looks like a bunch of whacked off fingers by youre vise:eek:

Naw, I keep all the whacked off fingers in the drawer. I still can't figure why you sent this one to me. I know you weren't used to the bend and hitting what you were whacking on before your used too but she sure is mighty pretty and feels really good to hand.

Naw, I keep all the whacked off fingers in the drawer. I still can't figure why you sent this one to me. I know you weren't used to the bend and hitting what you were whacking on before your used too but she sure is mighty pretty and feels really good to hand.
They seem to like a drawcut, from what little messing around I've done with hanshees-they are very weird to chop with but that's not what they're for lol. Just takes a bit to find the point of percussion-it's closer to the hilt than a regular khuk, at least on my little 80CrV2 hanshee.

Thanks for the info J W ... The Hanshee is a pure fighting blade based on a 1770-early1800. I have a Tora Goorkahli being shipped as we speak. It looks alot like the Hanshee and is used either one or two handed. There's a certain name it goes by but I can't remember, I know it starts with a "C" lol... The hawk billed kukris r usually plunged into the belly with a upward slash. I've been doing a ton of research on this style blade. The Tora is a partial tang but that's what they used back then and even alot today. It's made within 1 oz as the original 1775 kukri it was modeled after. It's under 480 grams and has a 35cm blade with a 5mm belly. I was hoping HI made a similar hawk bill light weight fighter and my prayers have been answered.
The cool thing about HI is that I can have it sized for my large hands. I will post a review once I have the Goorkahli. I'm going to design one over the weekend and see if Auntie can have a kami duplicate my specs ( more or less lol ) they are the masters and they might need to "modify" my design.

Just so you don't end up disappointed:

1. If you specify 20" and 20oz, the length will probably be close, but the weight might be off. I don't think the techniques that the kamis use lend themselves to pinpointing the weight of a blade, especially since they are also trying to preserve the balance. It's different if you are ordering a stock blade (whether from HI or any other outfit) because they might have several on hand and can pick the one close to your preference.

2. The kamis usually make the handle girth proportional to the blade, since that's what seems right to them and matches the model specs. The Hanshee has a narrow blade, hence tends to have a narrow handle. Make sure to be very clear about what size handle you want for your large hands. If possible send them a wooden model of a handle and ask them to match it.

If the handle ends up too narrow for your hands, you can always put some kind of wrap on it, but that detracts from the appearance.

They seem to like a drawcut, from what little messing around I've done with hanshees-they are very weird to chop with but that's not what they're for lol. Just takes a bit to find the point of percussion-it's closer to the hilt than a regular khuk, at least on my little 80CrV2 hanshee.
I didnt even try chopping with that blade. It told me right off it aint a chopper. It just wreaks of drawcut! Once I got used to it I switched to my single fuller chitlangi and sliced up some more bottles and yes they were very different.
Bawanna I gave it to you for all the good stuff youve done for me checkering etc. I'd do it again brother:thumbup: I dont have many pure fighters and really dont think id use it much but it sure is cool. It found its home man! My checkered Bowie is special and I carry it every day! Fine job there! Same with Pugs' work! Made to be used and show off as well!

A body supported drawcut (with the off side forearm/shoulder/etc bracing the spine) with a hanshee, or a longleaf style is a thing to behold. Not easy to stop or get away from.

Yes JW... the belly supported drawct is the cut the goorkhali where "known" for pre 1800. They disemboweled a few Germans and Japanese that way as well. Their technique changed a little after the British influence. I want to practice martial arts/forms with the kukri, I already have a decent technique with a katana, broad sword, and I am learning Chinese style double edged sword technique as well. I saw the cutting video you posted and you have very good form when cutting, you let your wrist roll into the target and you avoid a heavy handed "slash" technique that is useful when using the kukri as a "tool" and not a "fighter". They are two very different uses for the kukri and the Hanshee and Goorkhali kukri's are pure fighters through and through. Also I know this thread is called "long leafs" and I didn't know if you are aware but Atlantic Cutlery and IMA both mistakenly lists these kukri's as "long leafs". It was used from 1820-1900 The proper name for that style of kukri is the "Goorkha Army Kukri" not a long leaf. Here is a very short video explaining the mistake by Atlantic and IMA...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3j-SR00A&list=UU0hKs9howoO_CbNTL_kdPsw

Oh... Thank you very much for the information david99. I was more concerned with the length of the grip opposed to the girth. I want to be able to use it two handed and they usually design them around their smaller hands. My mitts are XXL and require a 6-8 inch handle and I would like a slight inward curve. I think you are right about the wooden model, that will translate better than words. I know I really cant expect a oz per inch but I would be happy with anything that wasn't overly heavy, I think 20-26 oz's with a 20-22 inch blade isn't asking to much especially with this hollow forged style blade. I will have to get started on a wooden model and thanks again for the information.

Could be a fluke but my handle is very long, easy to two hand for me but I have small mitts.

I also think the kamis know what a hanshee is so a ball park length and weight would probably be enough. Add a note to make the handle long with a dimension and let them work their magic.

Thanks Bawanna that's good advice, Im just looking for a slightly longer handle. It shouldn't be to much of a big deal. Im going to email Auntie about it next week to find out approximate wait time and deposit amount. I am def pulling the trigger on it within the next week.

That long handle is for off hand reinforcement-I believe Karda had a big 'un in the same style- I know "lambenth" means long hilt. It's nice for hooking and trapping, but I find I can hit much harder single hand with a khuk-the second hand only starts to help on hilts where you have some space between hands, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes JW... the belly supported drawct is the cut the goorkhali where "known" for pre 1800. They disemboweled a few Germans and Japanese that way as well. Their technique changed a little after the British influence..

Where is this well known? or even known? sounds like someone's been telling you stories...:rolleyes:

Spiral

If you do a little research you will find out more about this style blade and its uses. Tora has a wealth of info on their web page and Facebook. The links provide a wealth of information from real Goorkahli troops and their techniques. Sweetcostarica also has good stuff on YouTube. The hawksbill style is the earliest known kukri... I could give u a bunch of links but you can do the legwork yourself .

as this is the forum of HI though, lets stick to talking about HI and its wonderful products. don't trust everything you see on youtube.

Back