Hanshee kukri

Most of the body supported cuts I've learned come from kali and silat-they just adapt beautifully to the shape of the hanshee.
My impression of Gurkha technique is that they cut ALOT, from childhood, so if they connect with you you're going home limping-there doesn't seem to be a big body of established technique, beyond NCO's showing the FNG's what they have learned. Bando is more Burmese than Nepalese.

If you do a little research you will find out more about this style blade and its uses. Tora has a wealth of info on their web page and Facebook. The links provide a wealth of information from real Goorkahli troops and their techniques. Sweetcostarica also has good stuff on YouTube. The hawksbill style is the earliest known kukri... I could give u a bunch of links but you can do the legwork yourself .

Telling Spiral to do a little research is like telling Mr. Hawas to do a little research on Egyptology...:D

We are familiar with both the subjects (both banned on this site) and the company mentioned...and let just say that Gehazis words should be heeded.

don't trust everything you see on youtube.

I have bought a three HI's in the last month and just ems'ed for another one tonight. My comments were directed at the person who questioned my comments. I love HI products but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate other products. The only thing i endorsed where links within their Facebook page to historical documents and reference material contain within. I find it rather insulting that you would think i " believe everything on YouTube" I am an old fart and have been around the block awhile, I know when something is garbage or credible. I think a little research wouldn't hurt anyone. Always felt welcomed here, been very active and have enjoyedy time here. First time i felt I needed to stick up for myself, I donated money to HI thats how much I respect them and what they do, we are all entitled to our opinion...

Oh... Thank you for your response JW, I enjoy talking to people who can offer mature and guiding comments instead of just pushing people away

Last edited:
oh yeah gurkha I think many many people who come here actually buy several other companies products-- there is no harm or foul in that; its just that we gotta remember how much of HI is actually run from this forum, most of the people who buy from the site end up coming to the forum just like you! there was no disrespect intended by me saying lets not get all hung up on talking about "that other guy" because its the same for "that auction website" we are not specifically here to talk about people not on bladeforums. the only reason I said "dont believe everything on youtube" is because I had a specific bad episode with sweetcostarica that I wanted to avoid bringing up lol-- it did the opposite of my intention as I ended up insulting you and making myself discuss it !!!

so gurkha really I did not mean insult, I just really don't like sweetcostarica(because of things specifically said by him about HI and me being hyper protective of HI), and did not want to be all like "screw this guy yo" --- so please please accept my apology, as I did not mean to insult your intelligence, only to remind you that person you mention has specific ulterior motives and is a close personal friend of the owner of "that other company'; this was why me and sweet had an issue a year or so ago.

would have sent this as a pM if I could , seriously did not mean to insult you. and I apologize profusely.

Lets just please keep the "other products" and the mentioning/discussion of them off this particular forum, as it is the HI forum and there are other places on this vast site more appropriate. We have given them plenty enough advertisement over the years.

Last edited:
If you do a little research you will find out more about this style blade and its uses. Tora has a wealth of info on their web page and Facebook. The links provide a wealth of information from real Goorkahli troops and their techniques. Sweetcostarica also has good stuff on YouTube. The hawksbill style is the earliest known kukri... I could give u a bunch of links but you can do the legwork yourself .

A little research into kukris! :thumbup: :D Thats great, perhaps you should do more than a little?

I know the source well. I helped teach him some of the finer points in kukri many years ago.

We travelled to Nepal together 10 years ago, visited the museums, met the dealers & spent 3 days with the kami subcontracted to make his kukri in Dharan , where Iexplained some features to the kami for him as hes not a very practical chap & wasn't sure of many things in reality. {As opposed to the internet.}

I've found the source unreliable & indeed he was banned from this forum for using multiple fake identities to support his argument.

spiral

I guess there are larger issues here from the past that has nothing to do with me. I didnt mean to insult you spiral. I haven't had the time to go through ten plus years of archived threads. I reread my post and it did come off differently than I intended. What I meant by "do your homework" had more to do with me posting the links and not to do with your knowledge of the kukri. You obviously took offense due to your last post... I should of said "do the leg work" instead of "do your homework".

You guys really need to understand that u can b intimidating for new time forum users. I find Karda and now Twister a bit harsh and I think they may be doing Auntie a disservice instead of helping. There have been a few times where I have found Karda rather "coarse" with people. Not everyone has been on this forum for over a decade. You really need to cut newbies a break because I have heard from a couple people who wont by HI products do to their treatment on the forum. The harshness and "forum Nazi" attitude needs to stop. Please be more welcoming and explain things with a light touch instead of barking at people.

I seriously considered not doing business with HI... I've spent alot of money with HI over the past month or so, at the rate Im going I will probably do between 5k-8k a year in purchases not including donations I will give and already have. It's not fair for Auntie or the kamis or Bills memory. I am invested in HI through much time spent researching the history in the past few months. Like I said earlier I haven't had the time to look through the entire archive and I may be ignorant of bad blood or old wounds so I again apologize for my ignorance. Please be easier on new people, I don't want auntie to lose any revenue. No hard feelings Gehazi, you have always been friendly and helpful to me in the past.

She is just the greatest, I ems last night for the Suga fighter and I got the long gone email, but there was a little message telling me she had another one for me. So I am very excited about receiving the Suga. I will post pics...

Last edited:
so glad this is put to rest gurkha, we definitely are not trying to chase any of auntie's business off , and we respect new customers for that very fact. I appreciate you not taking my remarks badly, and accepting the apology, I also appreciate your own candor, and am glad you decided to stay with us, even with the bumps !

we are all collectors here, and we have all gotten a bit obsessive over this particular group of collections ( much like you) and it is entirely because of auntie and the great products she offers; the forum is just a side benefit where you can meet people like spiral who have spent a lifetime collecting antiques and researching.

when I first got into mandau I met several people much like spiral who helped me understand what was fake and real, and how over time the art styles had changed. He is definitely one of the best resources on this forum for khukuri, history and use.
So yeah, just really glad you are staying with us gurkha, and not holding it against us for being so "HI" tribe.

It is good advice for those of us who are "tribal" about HI; we need to ease new customers into the devotion and not hammer them over the head with it :D so good advice from you as well.( as auntie and the products will always get the new guys devoted without all the old guys picking at them about small things :D)

I'm sorry you feel I was harsh, GB. For that I do apologize.
But you just don't understand the bad blood that has happened over the years that somewhat divided a group of friends.
You don't understand how it was dredged back up by Uncle Bill being called a liar and a cheat years after his passing when he could no longer defend himself or how all this was brought out by a youtube reviewer with an agenda after we initially welcomed him in here. This business and this forum have been misused repeatedly because of it's good graces and allowing discussion of things that really shouldnt have been allowed here in the first place.
I take responsibility for being harsh with some people. Whoever is telling you these stories themselves need to own up to their actions as well and tell the truth.

Just for the record, I do not find Karda rude, nor harsh.

He is sometimes straight forward, but mainly he is just informative, helpful, articulate, and tactful.

Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. We are all adults here, if some are too sensitive, or unable to understand the enthusiasm and fanaticsm of some of the forumites here, then they should try harder to be understanding, and to know that no malice, nor rudeness, is ever intended.

This HI forum is the best forum I have ever had the honor to be a part of, and I would like to see it kept intact as it is, and hopefully will always be.

I think we all do our part every day, to try and maintain the good energy that this forum seems to maintain, and it is by approaching things with rational thought and empathy, just as Uncle Bill would have wanted. I am thankful to be here, and to know all of you :D!

+1 cul

thanks gurkha ( +1) :D

and +1 karda

Thank you for the apology Karda, it does mean alot to me. We are all entitled to our opinions cul4u... I started the thread because of my "enthusiasm" for the Hanshee. I think my enthusiasm needed to be understood as well. I was excited about that particular style and I did a ton of research on it in a very short time. I was then scolded by multiple people for issues that have nothing to do with. My enthusiasm was the one that wasn't recognized IMHO.

It's over with now, it is what it is. I think you commenting defending Karda/twisters comments just renforces my opinion that u guys really need to stop being so "clicky". It reminds me of a local shooting range that I use to go to. Always a bunch of regulars there that disregard newbies and make people feel like they are bothersome for even talking to you.

Lets just drop its over with....

I just sent payment on the Suga. I will post pics once I receive it.

gb, I think your "customer feedback" is valuable (which good companies usually recognize), especially coming from a relative newcomer to the forum, reminding us how certain aspects might seem unwelcoming. I remember plucking up the courage to make my first post here, and how intimidating it seemed.

I think that you inadvertantly, and through no fault of your own, mentioned some topics that have an ugly history here, topics that still push people's buttons.

Anyway, I think it can be a learning experience for all of us.

By the way, when I joined the forum, I visualized Karda as a stern Rinpoche from Nepal, wearing a maroon robe. I was somewhat surprised to later see a photo he posted, showing him as a "regular person". I do think he's a great guy.

+1 to Steve Talls post.

Also remember its his job to be the site police, he sometimes has to do ugly things.

Also this is a private forum, so there is no first amendment rights. They control what is said and what is allowed, it's their priviledge, rightfully so.

I play Karda on another forum and it's sometimes tough trying to be diplomatic but still enforce the forum rules without upsetting somebody.

I was here when the above mentioned folks were banned and indeed there were some very ugly things that will linger for a long long time.

Again no fault of your own and I'm glad it all seems to be smoothed over and ready for the pavers.

I guess there are larger issues here from the past that has nothing to do with me. I didnt mean to insult you spiral. I haven't had the time to go through ten plus years of archived threads. I reread my post and it did come off differently than I intended. What I meant by "do your homework" had more to do with me posting the links and not to do with your knowledge of the kukri. You obviously took offense due to your last post... I should of said "do the leg work" instead of "do your homework".

You guys really need to understand that u can b intimidating for new time forum users. I find Karda and now Twister a bit harsh and I think they may be doing Auntie a disservice instead of helping. There have been a few times where I have found Karda rather "coarse" with people. Not everyone has been on this forum for over a decade. You really need to cut newbies a break because I have heard from a couple people who wont by HI products do to their treatment on the forum. The harshness and "forum Nazi" attitude needs to stop. Please be more welcoming and explain things with a light touch instead of barking at people.

I seriously considered not doing business with HI... I've spent alot of money with HI over the past month or so, at the rate Im going I will probably do between 5k-8k a year in purchases not including donations I will give and already have. It's not fair for Auntie or the kamis or Bills memory. I am invested in HI through much time spent researching the history in the past few months. Like I said earlier I haven't had the time to look through the entire archive and I may be ignorant of bad blood or old wounds so I again apologize for my ignorance. Please be easier on new people, I don't want auntie to lose any revenue. No hard feelings Gehazi, you have always been friendly and helpful to me in the past.

She is just the greatest, I ems last night for the Suga fighter and I got the long gone email, but there was a little message telling me she had another one for me. So I am very excited about receiving the Suga. I will post pics...

Interesting statement beserk gurkha... almost smacks of emotional or financial blackmail? l first of please dont mistake me as a person related to HI business or any others... view me as a person who loves kukri & has spent many years trying to study & learn about them... & share the truth .

I hardly ever post on HI forum proper. {other than cantina.} so please don't my prescience stop you from buying kukri here. it was your statement of historical fact that drew me out.

I wasn't insulted , my repley to you was just explaining my stance.

Sorry if you found me a bit harsh, my comments were totally based on this statement of yours..

Yes JW... the belly supported drawct is the cut the goorkhali where "known" for pre 1800. They disembowelled a few Germans and Japanese that way as well. Their technique changed a little after the British influence. .

Because I realised it was probably a very inaccurate statement.... If I can be shown to be wrong from primary sources, great I would congratulate you because I love to learn & if I am wrong I can accept that as well.

I don't speak for HI, neither do you, that is for Yangdu etc. Actually I notice you do, & imply I do HI & Yangdu a disservice... That's not my intention. I dont speak for any kukri company, I just try to share the truth about kukri... My words are just based on facts & kukri & were a response to your words.;) I am sure if Yangdu think I am doing HI a disservice she will let me know.

I hope you do spend thousands of dollar's on kukri her ... it keeps the world turning & hopefully helps a few people along the way.& youl have a pile of kukri you love.

In truth I was trying to be as polite & softly spoken as I can be with you... Most people on kukri forums will tell you I say what I believe to be the truth & don't pussyfoot around much.

Talk about kukri, I am happy to discuss, I do it all the time,

Sorry if I offended you, I just try to minimise some of the disinformation about kukri that occurs. Your original statement I questioned. not you...
I don't represent any company but I truly love kukri.

Go easy my friend...

spiral

Twister...Had to get that blackmail dig in there didnt you... I was just sticking up for myself like I was always taught to do. I was trying to make a point with my comments and I think the truth might hurt a little bit but you just won't except it. I think I am the victim of very old bad blood I had no idea about hence my post calling myself ignorant. I think you may have an ego problem and I didn't mean to insult you. You still don't understand what I meant by the "homework comment",

I thought the words you said after the little dig were very insightful and welcoming. It's kind of stinks the preceding comments erased the hospitality of your proceding post. We are two very differnt people that should probably just let sleeping dogs lie. Please try and understand where I am coming from. It really sucks you had to insult me in the first few lines. That's the type of bullying I am referring to.

Twister...Had to get that blackmail dig in there didnt you... I was just sticking up for myself like I was always taught to do. I was trying to make a point with my comments and I think the truth might hurt a little bit but you just won't except it. I think I am the victim of very old bad blood I had no idea about hence my post calling myself ignorant. I think you may have an ego problem and I didn't mean to insult you. You still don't understand what I meant by the "homework comment",

I thought the words you said after the little dig were very insightful and welcoming. It's kind of stinks the preceding comments erased the hospitality of your proceding post. We are two very differnt people that should probably just let sleeping dogs lie. Please try and understand where I am coming from. It really sucks you had to insult me in the first few lines. That's the type of bullying I am referring to.

I call it as I see it.

"I might spend 8 grand on kukri tis year , but I don't like spiral so I might not.." to paraphrase...

I am a professional counsellor but I am not you therapist. nor a mug.... talk to me in a years time..

You work it out.. I an sure everyone else can..

spiral

Last edited:
You are obviously a very small person... Sorry callem like I see'em. A certificate to be a counsiler hardly gives you the training to psychoanalize me. I can get a certificate too, only takes a few weeks online. You are by no means a good counsiler and that is reflected in the way you talk to people. I could see how others have had issues with you in the past. You are an instigator that needs to get your digs in. I would hate be be counciled by you. Like i said earlier, the truth hurts and that is obviously why you keep insulting me. You are the type of bully we are trying to eliminate from society. God I hope you don't council children

Back