Hanshee kukri

Thanks for all your kind words guys, as you all can see I have been trying to drop it in my last few posts but I don't thing he truly comprehends when I was trying to say... I will leave it at that. I just sent payment on the Suga last night so i am tapped out for the week. I am going to hit up Auntie this coming Thursday when I have the deposit ready for the Hanshee. These last couple days kinda took the wind out of my sails, but I wont let others dictate my reality sooooo... Very excited about the Hanshee wooot wooot

Not sure how much she wants for a deposit but I always like to put half down and half when ready. It lessens the blow when the bill comes hahah. Hopefully I will have the Suga by the end of week. I will try and post better quality picks than my last session lol.

I'm sorry spiraltwista, it's just as a new person here as well I thought you were being very condescending and demeaning. If that was not your intention then I apologize. If I could make a suggestion for the future? Since I'm sounds as if you have fairly extensive knowledge on khukuris, next time if you see someone post a historically inaccurate fact could you please give them the correct information. I'm here to learn from all of you just like Gurkha, and I think kindly letting us know where we are mistaken and then helping us find the truth would go a long way around here. Again I apologize if I misinterpreted the meaning behind your post.

Thanks for you thoughts, & I can see your point.

My initial post started as asking for the source of such an important historical statement re.kukri technique, then while typing it , I had a sense of revelation about the sourse & realised it was all silly & a waste of time... Sorry I then let that disappointment show so blatantly in my repley..

Anyway, lets get back to hanshee!

Ive got a few C.200plus year old ones, there not great for utility but , their very lethal weapons.... they were high caste warriors pieces... such fellows didn't build there own fire or cut wood, they had others to do that.

spiral

Always love seeing that big teardrop hanshee. There is a video out there somewhere of Karda destroying a pumpkin with it.

Thanks for putting that up Karda-that's one of the hanshee that made me want to make one.
Spiral-I'm envious that you have originals...If I'd seen one in person the grip on mine would have that inverted teardrop profile that tells one where the edge is.
They are stellar weapons but handling them takes some getting used to-when retracting strikes and striking again the point is definately not where you think it's gonna be if you're used to shallower curved khuks or Filipino/Indo blades. My ear almost suffered for my early lack of familiarity (and by "almost suffered" I imply "almost ended up under the entertainment center" lol)

I would love to see that video of Karda. Twister... The info on the origins of this style of kukri was very useful. It does make alot of sense especially when you consider the caste system who used them. I can understand why they had more specialized kukri's, not having to chop wood or do other menial tasks that were above them. I guess lower caste individuals would need and use their type of kukris for everything and anything under the Nepally sun lol. This is the exact type of information I am trying to learn about and it makes alot of sense. Thanks again..

JW...Do you have any sources you can give me with info on fighting styles with this type of kukri? Or is it more of a practice practice practice thing that only comes from years of handling and form work/muscle memory?

Last edited:
I would love to see that video of Karda. Twister... The info on the origins of this style of kukri was very useful. It does make alot of sense especially when you consider the caste system who used them. I can understand why they had more specialized kukri's, not having to chop wood or do other menial tasks that were above them. I guess lower caste individuals would need and use their type of kukris for everything and anything under the Nepally sun lol. This is the exact type of information I am trying to learn about and it makes alot of sense. Thanks again..

JW...Do you have any sources you can give me with info on fighting styles with this type of kukri? Or is it more of a practice practice practice thing that only comes from years of handling and form work/muscle memory?
Almost everything I train with khukuri is adapted silat. Sorry, no good news.
Like I said before, I don't think there's a link to the old ways of using a khukuri in Gurkha units- I've been told they cut a lot as young people, but beyond that I think it's mostly weapon familiarity and aggression. Not like there's much opportunity for blade on blade in modern service, and against an unskilled guy with a clubbed kalashnikov, a khuk and some good old infantry speed, accuracy and violence of action will go a looooong way. That's all I got, man.

This clip is kind of cool, it shows an actual ghurka using the khukuri. It's pretty cheesed up for reality TV, but the khuk content is good.

[video=youtube_share;LLzIyR9Za_U]http://youtu.be/LLzIyR9Za_U[/video]

Good enough JW... I find being adaptive and incorporating multiple styles really brings out the best results. Sometimes people get to fixed to a certain style or technique. Rigidity in form and style results in lost opportunities for growth. I wish Bruce Lee lived longer, I always took his knowledge and advice to heart. I guess the most memorable or insightful thing I took from him was., please excuse me if I paraphrase a bit but here we go.

"Be like water... When you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. Be like water".

I hope I didn't screw up that quote to much lol. I always took alot from that quote. I started with kempo, then I tried kung fu, both of which I took thought childhood and into early adulthood. I've been obsessed with sword play as of late. Trying to blend Bujinkan style short sword with the Viking berserker style blitz attack. The Hanshee will be the next victim of my horrendous attempts at fluidity with new steel. Thanks for the response.

That video was quite interesting Phillll. I am not sure why it turned out backwards though. LoL reading the captions was a bit difficult. The funny part is that the Camillus the length of time he was stabbing the one guy he kicked was I guess so stunned he didn't get up and stab him in the back as he was wrapping himself around the other pork roast. I find the factual info about the weapons very interesting on that show. But when I watch the computerized "fights" I almost die laughing.

GB. I agree wholeheartedly with your approach. I think any one martial art has flaws and it also means someone trained in it knows those flaws and how to counter it. So I think if you mix a few together it makes it much harder to defend. With my styles I try to use ones that have similar attack paths and flows but with multiple different options from each movement. That way based on what I can read of my opponent I can use the movements that will leave him the least viable responses. The only down side I have found with that is the last time I went for testing for my Sandan level during the Gekiken session I almost threw a form that was from the wrong martial art as a response to a move by the motodachi but other than the formal tournaments/awards the more variants you know the better is my opinion.

I love Bruce lee's philosophy's as well
"Absorb what is useful
Discard what is not
Add what is uniquely your own"
That's the idea that stuck with me through both martial arts and life.

That's another great quote Spen... Definitely some useful knowledge there.

Shavru... First off, I love the kitty avatar haha. I have two Maine Coon cats both of which weigh over 20lbs, they are big ole piggy kitties that love to beg for food. They love cookies, Doritos, and especially love coffee or coffee ice cream. I have to make sure I don't leave my coffee unattended or else I can usually find one of both of them drinking out of my mug lol.

Also... Its great hearing you are into the martial arts as well. You also have some pretty nice revolver iron too, I would ask you out on a date if I want already married to a gun loving, motorcycle riding, gorgeous piece of arss that I currently am married to (wifey#2 hehe). The second time is a charm and I married my best friend so your out of luck, or maybe I am the one who was out of luck :D

You must of wanted to kick yourself in the ass for almost messing up that form. I almost did the same thing years ago too, I had way to many things floating around in my head and I didn't center myself before I started the foot work. I usually like to meditate a few minutes before I start any form work. Luckily I snapped myself back into focus, muscle memory is a very powerful thing. I use it kind of like a warning sign, I can always tell when something is not going right because my movements become less fluid. It usually only takes a millisecond or two for my mind and muscle to link and throw up a warning alarm in my head. The Sensei usually isn't happy when I start throwing my own style at him.

Hehe, Sounds like we would both be in serious trouble with each others spouses. Mine is one of those ex-SF NCOs and he suffers from short guy syndrome LOL, so as with Bawanna's kind offer, I think I would have had to turn you down anyways ;)

As for Kitzen's picture thank you! I like to swap her picture and one of the cat who owned us when we lived in Germany. Unfortunately Katzen was pretty old so when the company officer I replaced at my unit came back to the States so he and his wife decided the cat would not do well being moved to the US and having to undergo quarentine ect. So I inherited him. Katzen was not a Maine Coon so was a bit smaller than yours but was an old long hair mix that had been so overfed that he actually weighed over 16lbs. After getting him on a diet and some exercise he dropped to a reasonable for his frame 12lbs. We met up with Kitzen once we reached the US and settled in. She was just too darn cute and despite the sadness of having lost Katzen to kidney failure only a year before we left Germany we knew we didn't have a choice.

LoL, Fortunately I was able to keep the fact that I mentally messed up from the actual movement and I passed despite it. But yes, Sensei's seem to be sticklers for performing the kata's exact, though when not in testing I have free sparred with mine frequently and he doesn't seem to mind at all during that. In fact occasionally he will ask about a particular movement, then later I might catch him working on a counter for it. Even Senseis continue to learn and grow.

Wow! That's one hell of a good Sensei... Mine was kinda a stickler for absolute rigidity in techinique. I am not with him anymore but I he did empart a vast amount of knowledge to me. I am in a self educating type of style now hence my many questions about kukris and how the Gurkhas used them. It's been tough trying to find information on their style. I am on a journey of knowledge and information. Trying to absord and manipulate any info I can get.

Thanks for the back story on your kitty. I sense you treat your animals the same way I do. They are my wife and my babies. We are unable to have children and my Mikey and Maxy (our kitties) are our babies. I stop home at lunch to check on them as if they were real kids. I walk Mikey on a leash ... Hahah its the funniest thing to see. My neighbor came up to me and told me how cute it is to see a big guy like me (6'5 285lbs) walking a kitty on a leash. We should start a thread in the Cantina for pet pics... Everyone in this forum seems close almost like friends and family. It would be cool to see everyone's "babies".

I have 9 cats, 4 dogs, 3 birds, 40 fish-- more stuff i need to take pictures of, several of my fish are koi that live in my moat.

lol I will update my valley of vision thread , this one is about hanshees :D-- but I adore animals, and people, but I really like cats and dogs.

After glancing through the thread, I have to ask: what is a supported drawcut? The drawcut I'm familiar with as best as I can tell literally cannot be supported in any way shape or form. So what exactly is a supported draw cut, and how do you do it?

After glancing through the thread, I have to ask: what is a supported drawcut? The drawcut I'm familiar with as best as I can tell literally cannot be supported in any way shape or form. So what exactly is a supported draw cut, and how do you do it?
image.jpg
Sorry for the lame video still. The supported drawcut works with khukuri, bolos, barongs-it's a very, very short range (elbow strike range) hip powered strike. Doesn't work as well with traditionally curved "drawcut" swords.
I can't seem to upload a video-sorry. Think defanging strike to attacking wrist, supported rising drawcut, finishing strike.

Back