Has there been talk of a Maxamet Military?

Frankly a Maxamet Military is the last on my desired next limited run of Military. I don't need such a brittle steel on my next millie. A rerun if cruwear, m4, m390 with micarta scales would be better.

I have a Military in CPM M-4. a delightful knife and one that I would never part with.

But progress marches on, and a Military in Maxamet, or CPM Rex 121 would be the next logical improvement.

IDK, IME, my Maxamet Para3 did well so far (gardening and EDC tasks), no chipping.

The finer structure and higher carbon content must make a difference compared to other high carbide super steels like S110V.

Is Maxamet too brittle?

Batoning with Maxamet

There are a few more toughness testing videos on the same channel with zip ties, copper and hard wood.

Frankly a Maxamet Military is the last on my desired next limited run of Military. I don't need such a brittle steel on my next millie. A rerun if cruwear, m4, m390 with micarta scales would be better.
I’ll go out on a limb and say m390 is not any tougher than maxamet.
Anyone tested it?

Military's blade length with Maxamet?BIG mistake!better Cruwear or 3v,maybe with Micarta,would be my choice.

J jpm2 - I think it is the images of several snapped Maxamet blades on this very subforum that have been haunting me. Somehow I just fear that a long and relative thin Maxamet blade on the Military platform would tend to break more easily than those other steels I mentioned. I am not concerned much with micro edge chipping as it can always be sharpened out.

J jpm2 - I think it is the images of several snapped Maxamet blades on this very subforum that have been haunting me. Somehow I just fear that a long and relative thin Maxamet blade on the Military platform would tend to break more easily than those other steels I mentioned. I am not concerned much with micro edge chipping as it can always be sharpened out.
Those broken blades bother me too, and everyone is rightly concerned. I'm thinking (hoping) those were due to some underlying issue rather than characteristic of a defect free blade. I've had a native maxamet since they came out and used it regulary, and fairly rough at times with no issues except minor edge chipping. In all instances, the chipping came from doing something that would also have damaged 4v, m4, cruwear, etc in the form of chips or rolls.

I've shied away from m390 and its cousins due to all the early reports I read of broken tips and chipping with the slightest contact of something hard, but haven't heard any of that lately.
Hopefully the growing pains for both steels are over.

I'll compare the two myself when I get a Pattadese in my hands.

Now excuse me while I unbox the new sage1 g10 max that just arrived. :)

I am test driving my PM2 Maxamet right now and if it performs well, I see no reason not to go for a Millie next.
Might post my experience.

Back