Hate for serrated knives?

So I was browsing the knives subreddit and i was reading the comments. The most upvoted comment was one about how book lovers hate 50 shaded of gray, martial artists hate pressure point wannabes, and knife lovers hate partially serrated knives. I was wondering if this was true. i have never heard of this before. Thanks for the response in advance.

I personally prefer to avoid them. I can't sharpen serrations with any measurable success, and I tend to get more use out of a full plain edge.

I hate partial serrations, and have no use for full serrations. Most partial serrations are ~1" long, and do a better job at catching on things you're trying to cut than actually cutting them. I also think it ruins the aesthetics of the knife (most of the time). It's like convincing Jessica Biel to sleep with you, but then finding out the hard way that she has the vagoo of a Romanian pull-cart donkey.

I'm sure there is a material that serrations are better on, but I haven't run into it yet.

Here's another vote against serrations. They are compleatly unnessary if you know how to sharpen a knife. I hate the things and won't buy a knife with them.

I prefer plain edge blades, however I do have 2 fully serrated blades, both in H1 steel, I actually sold my plain edge of the same knife and bought the serrated version, for 2 reasons, H1 has much better edge holding in serrated edge, 2 because it will be my bait/swimming knife and serrations do cut fibrous materials better than plain edge such as rope/aquatic plants that one may get tangled in/frozen fish. That said I wouldn't buy a combo edge knife because you don't really get enough of either type of edge for it to be useful IMO.

I prefer plain edge, I tried a full serrated blade (tenasious) and hated it, still have it but will probably never carry it again. Ill probably give it away.

They're really ugly.
And have little everyday use.

If I want a knife for, lets say rope, i'll get a knife fully serrated with H1 steel and bright yellow handles. And that will be it.

I don't need jagged teeth on my slipjoints for cutting my scary apples or my terrifying taped boxes

part serrations are for jackanapes who can't sharpen their knives, so they can tear at stuff longer before they throw the knife away and pick up another at the gas station.

I have a few se knives. I carry a small se everyday in my lr pocket, right now it's a Caly 3 se.I have a Calypso Jr and a Dragonfly both in se I carry instead of the Caly sometimes. I also carry a big pe folder in my rf pocket everyday.

I carry a small se bc it will cut just about anything, something a pe won't do. I don't like or use ce knives. They're not good for much IMO.

I can sharpen an se just as easily as a pe. It takes a little longer tho, using the corners of my Sharpmarker.

Serrated blades are vastly superior at cutting quickly through some materials, rope being an example. They are not scalpels. Half serrated blades are a compromise for users that are only carrying one knife in circumstances where they need both edges.

That said, I don't see a 3-inch folder being of any use in that configuration (too short), a 5-inch fixed blade, that's another story altogether. I own a Spyderco Delica, one of the 1990's originals, with the full serrated edge. I bought that knife for a very specific purpose. I needed an knife that could cut through 1000lb test monofilament quickly in an emergency situation while fishing for very large Blue Marlin. That mono is 3mm in diameter and very tough. When wet a very sharp straight blade would just slide on top of it. I bought the knife after fishing a tournament where a mate on one the boats was pulled over and killed when the 1000lb test leader looped around his wrist and the fish made a deep dive run.

Full serrations or none for me, I have only needed them a couple times, once for sawing through baler wire... Pretty sure the serrations won't be as crisp ever again, however it got the job done.

Those serrations were on the bear grylls mini multi tool, sloppy little thing but pretty tough to kill... So after that my distrust of it faded.

I actually like some serrations/partially serrated blades but only for a few specific purposes. I spent several years with our State Emergency Service, which is a volunteer search, rescue and storm recovery service. Good serrations were very useful in dealing with rope, tough fabrics etc. I often needed to cut one handed and I found the serrations dug into the material to cut better in these circumstances. I liked the partial serrated edge because I often also needed to cut hard materials and I didnt want to be lugging around more knives than I needed.

In my opinion serrations should not shred or saw material; they should use geometry to maximise the depth of a cut with as little sawing or draw cutting cutting as possible; in effect you should pretty much be able to push the blade straight forward against the material and have the serrations do the slashing for you.

Having said that I also think there are a lot of bad serrations which as others have said are more of a hindrance. Personally I consider Spyderco to have a good serration design and the knife I used was a combo edge Delica.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer plain-edge to partially serrated. However, I really don't mind them or hate them as much as other members do. It's true that they do make quick work of fibrous materials like rope or plants/trees by performing like a saw. I've come to the opinion that I would rather have them (partially) and not need them, than need them and not have em.

I think partially serrated falls into the spork category. Not a very good fork and not a very good spoon.

I like fully serrated or fully plain edges. The combo edges usually fail to have enough real estate for either edge to be useful.

Personally I dislike serrations, I dont find them useful. Serrations do not cut clean IMO and do not take to sharpening as easily.

Back