Hate for serrated knives?

Partial serrations are pointless and generally ruin any knife they appear on.

I will admit that there are (limited) uses for full serrations, but the number of people who have an actual need for them is vanishingly small. (and I am not one of them)

I like partial serrations on a couple knives, they are harder to sharpen. They are suited to specific tasks such as edcing.

A blade with full serrations can be an asset for some tasks. Hawk ones cut line very well. Get a diamond tapper rod sharpener and learn to love your serrations.

serrations are only good for heavy use on fabrics, rope, and other fibrous or tough materials.
half serrations is plain stupid. full serrations is ok if you really need it. I don't; I stick to plain edge knives.

It's true.

I'm one of the few people who actually prefer and use partially serrated blades.

I cut hard plastic tubing, thick plastic straps, wet rope, small tree branches, reinforced braided hoses ect at work. And I also need to open boxes, ect. I find that partially serrated blades work best. I tried carrying plain edges but missed the serrations.

For a simple test, try cutting a pencil in half with a plain edge. Or better yet a plastic clothes hanger.

Serrations are easy to sharpen with a Spyderco SharpMaker.

(I also like coated blades and Tantos too - but I hate the mall.)

If I worked around dangerous rope or nets I might carry a fully serrated knife.

I don't. So I don't.

My leatherman has one plain clip point, and one fully serrated warncliff/sheeps foot blade. I don't mind that combo (both full serrated, and full plain).

I can sharpen/maintain those serrations because they are wave serrations, no teeth/points like on CS style.

If I had the means to sharppen the factory serrations on CS knives I might consider them as an option, depending on my profession, or activity.

I carried a partially serrated Endura for the better part of 15 years as an active firefighter and reserve police officer. I found it cut through the things I found myself cutting very well. Now that I'm an admin-weenie I don't need the aggressive edge anymore.

I dislike them for the same reasons as the above posters: difficult to sharpen and not useful to me.

Personally I try to avoid partial serrations. I cannot understand why most of the knives carried by REI are partially serrated. I note that Benchmade's sharpening service WILL NOT sharpen the serrations part od their partially serrated knives which tells me how much BM likes serrations. Looks to me like a case of the manufacturer hating them and only offering knives with them due to some customer demand, but they refuse to service the serrations.

I don't dislike se, just rarely have the need for a se. I do have a few partially se's, and think they would be better looking if they had the plain edges.

I've never had an issue with a partially serrated blade, although the ones I typically use are Kershaw which have great serrations, imo. I feel like the bulk of the hate comes from people who haven't actually used them much. If you don't use the serrations a lot, they'll stay sharp for a very long time. If you do use them often, you probably don't have trouble sharpening them. Of course some combo edges have terrible ratios but if the ratio is good, I don't see how it will cause a problem for you.

Man, am I the only one here who doesn't work inside an office cubicle or something?? "No use for serrations" huh? I think you guys need to go outside more often, lol. I work for a municipality (Public Works, Streets Division) so I do a huge variety of different tasks almost every day. I cannot tell you how many times the serrated portion of my 950 Rift or Emerson Super Commander makes my life easier each week. From cutting hose, rope, fiber paper, petromat, plastic paint cans, the list goes on and on. Sure, a plain edge only would work but not as efficient or fast as those nasty dragon's teeth.

Also, the complaints about serrations being hard to sharpen....what?? All you have to do is just sharpen the back flat side (but at a much lower angle) just like you would any plain edge. Its that simple! Reference Ben Dale (the inventor of the Edge Pro) if you don't believe me.

Anyway, I guess if you only open letters and cut the occasional loose string from your dress shirt then yeah, you don't need serrations. And actually, half my knives are plain edge. But my big workhorses gotta have the teeth. Just my experience.

I have enjoyed combo-edge blades after unknowingly buying one as a child. After carrying the knife for 15 years (Schrade CH7), there was never a time where the serrations caused me any trouble but there were many times when they proved their worth. One job that a combo-edge makes much easier is cutting saplings or branches. Sure I could EDC some more appropriate tool, but I prefer carrying as little as possible when I'm hiking, ATVing, drinking, living, working, etc.

Like I said, a combo-edge never stopped me from accomplishing any task but it sure made some tasks a breeze. It really just depends what sort of uses you have for a knife. Nowadays I don't randomly tromp off into the woods as often so I carry a plain-edge SnG but I still miss my serrations. Coarse edges just aren't the same. :grumpy:

Having no personal use for a combo-edge doesn't mean it's universally useless. Don't knock it 'til ya tried it. Oh, and enough of "they are ugly". What, do you wear a knife as a damn fashion statement? ;)

Last edited:
Is there a relationship between people who hate serrations and those who hate chisel grind also?

Is there a relationship between people who hate serrations and those who hate chisel grind also?

In my experience, yes, for some inexplicable reason. Both have their place, in my opinion. For some reason, some people just don't get that in addition to cutting fibrous materials, and as was mentioned earlier, some hard plastics or other materials that plain edges don't cut nearly as well, serrations will continue to tear and cut even when extremely dull. I won't self promote by posting a link, but I have done amateurish videos of both serrated and chisel grind knives and their effectiveness on YouTube. You can find them here on Bladeforums with a quick search, if you want. But it continues to crack me up. Thanks for the good point.

...For some reason, some people just don't get that in addition to cutting fibrous materials, and as was mentioned earlier, some hard plastics or other materials that plain edges don't cut nearly as well, serrations will continue to tear and cut even when extremely dull...
I don't understand it either. I really wasn't kidding when I asked if I'm the only guy on the forums that doesn't wear a suit and tie to work. From reading the vast majority of the posts in this thread it seems like only professional envelope openers are here, lol. Either that or everyone is deathly afraid of having to sharpen serrations for some reason. As stated in my previous post, If you're in the line of work where you actually get your hands dirty, I cannot see how a plain-edge is an advantage over a combo-edge. All my coworkers, as well as a few friends in law enforcement/security, and some in search&rescue, all prefer combo edge.

I don't know how many times I have popped a zip tie with serrations. Yet! I still like plain edges lots more!

A good serrated edge will cut through practically anything, it bites in and guides a pushcut, rips or saws through tough stuff, and will handle these specialized tasks better than a plain edge especially when the edge is dull or damaged. A plain edge cuts clean, can slice through softer materials easily, generally offers better control and is easy to sharpen or repair, but takes more length to slice as deep as serrations. Even gut hooks have their place, strong, inexpensive, good for cord, safer in tight confines, gives good leverage to pull through tough fabric. Each has their place, and depending on the job, each can perform where the other designs are not ideal, I use each in one way or another, and sometimes end up carrying more than one blade. IMO most folders are too short to use more than one type of edge, but larger fixed blades can make use of both.

Back