Hats & Knives

Couple more Sunbody hats and a couple more Horsewright knives. Part of my doctorin' crew at our last branding.

iJBTosw.jpg

Lucia on the left is sporting a Coyote with Osage Orange in a Horizontal sheath. We made her floral carved belt and her chinks (leggings) too. Cara has a Gordo handled in mammoth tooth in a Horsewright Beltless sheath with oak tooling. Made her armitas style shotgun chaps there from water buffalo leather.

D2wmfnt.jpg

wXyUTYz.jpg

My wife Nichole is wearing her black felt, a custom, from Mackey Hats. She has a Horsewright Poco knife in a Gordo sheath on her Horsewright Water buffalo belt. She was doing the doctoring and the other gals were assisting. In wet years, its not to uncommon to get a wart/ringworm/fungal outbreak on some of em. Scrape with a piece of wood and wipe down with iodine. Ya try not to spread it by using a new piece of wood for each one doctored. Nichole uses knife scales of different woods that I cut up and decide they're kinda boring so not going on a knife. Couple of weeks later all gone.

14W0BBe.jpg

4TXezYu.jpg

Y3z6SCq.jpg

JeObGZl.jpg

dLMTImU.jpg

IYpc840.jpg

Last edited:
Horsewright Horsewright
Very cool, good to see a young person with such great work ethic. And kudos to her for adopting a BLM mustang,that's allot of work and dedication. As this thread pertains to hats, do you know if her feather has a meaning? I wear a feather on mine, I found out when I was 18 that who I'd been led to believe was my grandfather was not. That my Dads real father was full blood Apache. Though not raised with any native beliefs, I wear a feather to honor that a part of me carries that blood.

I don't know if there is any significance to the feather or not. Very cool on your part wearing the feather.

Thanks mate
Sretsons are hard to find here at a good price. I find a lot of hats on the secondry market.
Did you know when hats were everyday wear, stetson brand hats used to be made under license here in Australia for the Australian market.
Cheers
Mitch
No kidding, that's great info. I am surrounded with about 5 different Akubras in my hat collection , purchased from David Morgan. Now there is a hat! I like that they are light weight and really great when it comes to shedding the rain off that rabbit felt.

"When I call M. Gil Gabois at the French Foreign Legion and tell him I have a sixty-two year old lawyer who wants to be a legionary, his first question is not going to be, 'Does he have his own hat?'".
uWL828a.jpg

I've bought I think one used hat in my life. At size 7&7/8, I've stopped trying on even the huge-looking ones.

Last edited:
Where do you live, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the UP?
I live in NE Ohio, sorta but wish I lived somewhere else. Montana would work after seeing what I seen when we packed in the Bob Marshall on horseback some years ago. All in all, I guess I could be in worse places, at least we have rodeos and bull riding around here with plenty of roping arenas to keep the wife and I happy.

I live in NE Ohio, sorta but wish I lived somewhere else. Montana would work after seeing what I seen when we packed in the Bob Marshall on horseback some years ago. All in all, I guess I could be in worse places, at least we have rodeos and bull riding around here with plenty of roping arenas to keep the wife and I happy.

When I think Of Stormy Kromer, I think of the Upper Midwest. When I think of NE Ohio, I think of Amish country, taverns serving pickled tongue sandwiches, and Mooney Warther’s knives. My pops hailed from Dover, so I have spent some time around there.

JJiXrj4.jpg

Sunbody and knives.

XKKNloC.jpg

1Dhvxgi.jpg

62KE0bk.jpg

Stormy Kromers ARE the winter hat here in the wild, wild west. Grinding knives.

ExFlX7n.jpg

Feeding.

WFV6JPr.jpg

Everybody thinks of Cali as bikinis and palm trees....not so much our part.

pC9Np9Z.jpg
Oh wow,very nice pictures but makes me sad when I think of my old rope horse that I no longer have. Best horse I ever had.

Back