Hats & Knives

I too have had the dermatologist after me to wear a hat. I do, a lot, but when it's warm I tend towards ball caps, and the Doc said, "try something with a brim or expect I'll keep freezing these spots off of you." So I got this light panama from a company called Pantropics. It's nice and light, and good for bumming around in.

The knife is an old scout with still decent cell. I like the colors...

XKSJ8zP.jpg

img_0675-1.jpg

My thirty year old Royal Stetson fedora and companion. They are often together. Having now a bald “chemo head” it’s important to keep it in the shade. Love this hat! I wear it year round.
Very nice hat & knife combo
I'm sorry to hear you have a chemo head. hope you are doing okay.
mitch

Very nice hat & knife combo
I'm sorry to hear you have a chemo head. hope you are doing okay.
mitch
Managing the incurable. But, we plan to keep it at bay for a while. Meanwhile, life goes on and I’m waiting for two new GECs coming this Thursday. Interesting how these old and new traditionals can offer so much enjoyment.
And, I second panamas for summer. I may get one sometime.

Dermatologist says I have to keep the sun off my face and should wear hats year-round. I've just been using ball caps, but some of you cowboys have got me thinking about other styles, especially in the summer. ;):thumbsup::cool: Don't know if I could really pull off that look, though. And what does something like "7x" mean?

I'm probably more likely to go with a straw hat something like this to honor my dear departed paternal grandfather who always wore hats like this in the summer (but not as fancy, just plain straw hat with green visor on brim).
View attachment 1161554

- GT

Don't sell yourself short, GT! If you can pull off the "birthday shirt" or the "test tie" (both on the same day last year, if I remember correctly), I think you can pull off any look you want. It's all about confidence! ;) :D

Last edited:
Don't sell yourself short, GT! If you can pull of the "birthday shirt" or the "test tie" (both on the same day last year, if I remember correctly), I think you can pull off any look you want. It's all about confidence! ;) :D
I just realized my Outdoor Research Sonora sombrero is a lot more flamboyant than my Tilley yachtsman, when I took it off after my 46-minute walk. I must be over my chapeau shyness.
QlHq6Ci.jpg

I went to the Tilley site to remind myself of the name of my hat. I don't see it there.:eek:

Last edited:
Past weekend we were at this deal: http://www.californiobridlehorseassociation.com/code-7/code-20/index.html

Held at the historic Tejon Ranch (El Rancho El Tejons to be more correct). This is the largest ranch in California history and is still a huge place. Originally 5 different Spanish land grants bought up by Gen Beale back in the day, its been an ongoing operation since 1843. Both my wife, our neighbors from across the way, and our young friend Emma competed and all did EXTREMELY well. Our end of the hood can stand tall! It was pushing triple digits all three days and as ya might expect ya saw a lot of hats at this outfit. Also quite a few knives. Here's a few pics.

Nichole, my wife, brushing down Josie her mare getting ready to do some warm up riding even though they didn't compete till about 7:30 that night.

rE30jWB.jpg

Here's Josie's hat. She doesn't have any opposable digits so she's not huge on blades.

vSqDnYw.jpg

Emma. This was the first time we'd seen her horseback wearing her new Charmitas (leggings) that we'd helped her make. I showed her how to adjust the pattern and cut the leg fringe, Nichole did the sewing and Emma did everything else.

aoqFYJi.jpg

Wait there's a Horsewright knife:

bfbEw8Q.jpg

Both girls in the JR Ranch Horse class where wearing their Horsewright knives at the judges meeting>

ymlSkHT.jpg

Nichole going to her judges meeting later that night:

QPgConQ.jpg

You are assigned a specific number (and all three numbers have a letter so you might be assigned: 8 B) and that is the steer you must rope. Nailed it first shot! Then her partner, who is not being judged, only Nichole and how she ropes and handles her horse afterwards is being judged, will come in and heel it. Time is not a factor at all. Its how its being done, as long as it is done within 6 minutes.

AuulYmu.jpg

Our friend Dwight Hill was Nichole's partner. Dwight is probably the most successful competitive ranch roper there is. While ya can't see his knife here in this pic, he told me an interesting story. He'd just returned from Italy where he was teaching a roping clinic. The clinic sponsor was into knives and Dwight gave him one of mine as a thank-you present for sponsoring the clinic. Kinda a cool story. Dwight is big on my Sonoran Belt knife and has 5 or 6. Any of you that have tossed a rope check out his loop. Dwight is facing the rear of steer on its right side. He is swinging that loop with a backhand swing. He changes direction in mid swing, releases, the loop turns over 180 degrees on its axis in mid air and comes down over the hip of the steer with the bottom strand coming down in front of the steers hind legs from the left side. Not only can I not throw this loop (and I'm a pretty darn good ranch roper), I don't even know what it is called!

ropBanf.jpg

Our friend Tyler was in the same class and he's carrying his folder in his belt sheath:

LA46ZyH.jpg

He did great too. Nichole took second in this class and Tyler took third.

Course these deals ya catch up with old friends too. Elena is wearing her Horsewright Gordo with mammoth tooth handle.

dWI5LHw.jpg

My friend Vince Donnely is probably one of the finest rawhide braiders on the planet, bar none. His hat is a custom by Weather Hat Co. Vince does a lot of fly fishing so he carries a Horsewright Sonoran Belt knife a great bird and trout.

XLZtPdu.jpg

3SxEXyj.jpg

His wife Judy has a Horsewright Coyote. She made this lamp shade from rawhide and the rawhide panels are all laced together with fancy braiding. First time I met them was a t a show some years back where we were vendors too. It was kinda funny. She snuck over and got him a knife a later he snuck over and got her a knife with out the other knowing. We traded both times as Vince's work is legendary and we already had a large collection long before ever meeting him. Look at Judy's belt he made her!

b6yFrI9.jpg

Nichole is talking with our friend Kevin Murphy. Kevin makes custom hats of exquisite quality.

ncXUDiG.jpg

hEb7d5w.jpg

KJ Murphy's Custom Hats,is the name of his business and we both have one.

This Open Road style was made famous by LBJ. I don't think I ever saw my grandfather out of the house with out an Open Road on.

DjjgeF1.jpg

Ya get the choose the colors:

4e08ner.jpg

hgwtbyJ.jpg

bcAVHQN.jpg

He said mine was a little dusty, which it was after three days of standing next to the arena.

EIfoCNG.jpg

I have had many custom hats in my lifetime and still do. The others feel like cardboard compared to this one. Good thing Kevin likes to trade too, I probably couldn't afford this guy. I traded three Bowies and sheaths for this hat.

Anyhoo some of the knives and blades I saw this weekend.

Past weekend we were at this deal: http://www.californiobridlehorseassociation.com/code-7/code-20/index.html

Held at the historic Tejon Ranch (El Rancho El Tejons to be more correct). This is the largest ranch in California history and is still a huge place. Originally 5 different Spanish land grants bought up by Gen Beale back in the day, its been an ongoing operation since 1843. Both my wife, our neighbors from across the way, and our young friend Emma competed and all did EXTREMELY well. Our end of the hood can stand tall! It was pushing triple digits all three days and as ya might expect ya saw a lot of hats at this outfit. Also quite a few knives. Here's a few pics.

Nichole, my wife, brushing down Josie her mare getting ready to do some warm up riding even though they didn't compete till about 7:30 that night.

rE30jWB.jpg

Here's Josie's hat. She doesn't have any opposable digits so she's not huge on blades.

vSqDnYw.jpg

Emma. This was the first time we'd seen her horseback wearing her new Charmitas (leggings) that we'd helped her make. I showed her how to adjust the pattern and cut the leg fringe, Nichole did the sewing and Emma did everything else.

aoqFYJi.jpg

bfbEw8Q.jpg

Both girls in the JR Ranch Horse class where wearing their Horsewright knives at the judges meeting>

ymlSkHT.jpg

QPgConQ.jpg

You are assigned a specific number (and all three numbers have a letter so you might be assigned: 8 B) and that is the steer you must rope. Nailed it first shot! Then her partner, who is not being judged, only Nichole and how she ropes and handles her horse afterwards is being judged, will come in and heel it. Time is not a factor at all. Its how its being done, as long as it is done within 6 minutes.

AuulYmu.jpg

Our friend Dwight Hill was Nichole's partner. Dwight is probably the most successful competitive ranch roper there is. While ya can't see his knife here in this pic, he told me an interesting story. He'd just returned from Italy where he was teaching a roping clinic. The clinic sponsor was into knives and Dwight gave him one of mine as a thank-you present for sponsoring the clinic. Kinda a cool story. Dwight is big on my Sonoran Belt knife and has 5 or 6. Any of you that have tossed a rope check out his loop. Dwight is facing the rear of steer on its right side. He is swinging that loop with a backhand swing. He changes direction in mid swing, releases, the loop turns over 180 degrees on its axis in mid air and comes down over the hip of the steer with the bottom strand coming down in front of the steers hind legs from the left side. Not only can I not throw this loop (and I'm a pretty darn good ranch roper), I don't even know what it is called!

ropBanf.jpg

Our friend Tyler was in the same class and he's carrying his folder in his belt sheath:

LA46ZyH.jpg

Course these deals ya catch up with old friends too. Elena is wearing her Horsewright Gordo with mammoth tooth handle.

dWI5LHw.jpg

My friend Vince Donnely is probably one of the finest rawhide braiders on the planet, bar none. His hat is a custom by Weather Hat Co. Vince does a lot of fly fishing so he carries a Horsewright Sonoran Belt knife a great bird and trout.

XLZtPdu.jpg

3SxEXyj.jpg

His wife Judy has a Horsewright Coyote. She made this lamp shade from rawhide and the rawhide panels are all laced together with fancy braiding. First time I met them was a t a show some years back where we were vendors too. It was kinda funny. She snuck over and got him a knife a later he snuck over and got her a knife with out the other knowing. We traded both times as Vince's work is legendary and we already had a large collection long before ever meeting him. Look at Judy's belt he made her!

b6yFrI9.jpg

Nichole is talking with our friend Kevin Murphy. Kevin makes custom hats of exquisite quality.

ncXUDiG.jpg

hEb7d5w.jpg

This Open Road style was made famous by LBJ. I don't think I ever saw my grandfather out of the house with out an Open Road on.

DjjgeF1.jpg

4e08ner.jpg

hgwtbyJ.jpg

bcAVHQN.jpg

He said mine was a little dusty, which it was after three days of standing next to the arena.

EIfoCNG.jpg

I have had many custom hats in my lifetime and still do. The others feel like cardboard compared to this one. Good thing Kevin likes to trade too, I probably couldn't afford this guy. I traded three Bowies and sheaths for this hat.

It's nice you have a place to do all that. Our Cutting and Team Penning arenas are all but gone now around me. I used to Team Pen and Team Rope and my wife was a Cutting cowgirl. Holy smokes cowpoke, you have pictures of some mighty fine knives and hats there now. Thanks a lot for sharing.

rE30jWB.jpg

vSqDnYw.jpg

aoqFYJi.jpg

bfbEw8Q.jpg

ymlSkHT.jpg

QPgConQ.jpg

AuulYmu.jpg

ropBanf.jpg

LA46ZyH.jpg

dWI5LHw.jpg

XLZtPdu.jpg

3SxEXyj.jpg

b6yFrI9.jpg

ncXUDiG.jpg

hEb7d5w.jpg

DjjgeF1.jpg

4e08ner.jpg

hgwtbyJ.jpg

bcAVHQN.jpg

EIfoCNG.jpg

Thank you for this wonderful post. I’m old so I remember scenes similar to that in Texas. I miss those times.

Don't sell yourself short, GT! If you can pull off the "birthday shirt" or the "test tie" (both on the same day last year, if I remember correctly), I think you can pull off any look you want. It's all about confidence! ;) :D
Well, thanks for your confidence in my ability to pull off a style change, Barrett. ;):thumbsup::cool:
But I'd really hate to have it said of me, "He's all hat and no cattle." :eek::(

I actually tried on a couple of inexpensive "sun hats" at Tractor Supply today, but didn't yet have the courage to put my money where my head was during the try-out.

- GT

Well, thanks for your confidence in my ability to pull off a style change, Barrett. ;):thumbsup::cool:
But I'd really hate to have it said of me, "He's all hat and no cattle." :eek::(

I actually tried on a couple of inexpensive "sun hats" at Tractor Supply today, but didn't yet have the courage to put my money where my head was during the try-out.

- GT
I wouldn't worry about the "all hat and no cattle" comment. I have had that said of me,I dont let it bother me. I was raised around cattle and horses, though I haven't rode one in over a decade. 99% of the time anyone says that, they themselves have never had any dealings with livestock. Do people ask what team someone plays for because they wear a baseball cap? Or when someone is wearing a NFL jersey do they comment that they look small for a football player? Usually when someone has a negative remark about my hat its someone who owns a horse,rides it maybe 10 minutes every couple months and thinks he's more entitled. I've been to Oklahoma and met cattlemen from all over, aint none of them ever sneered at my hat. Besides I usually answer that question with my own "When was the last time YOU was arm pit deep in a bovine?o_O " lol that usually shuts them up:D:thumbsup:

- GT

I’m a native Texan. I do not have, nor have had cattle. I do have a couple of Stetsons and a great Mexican wide brim straw. I sometimes wear them along with my sandals in summer. I just like the hats.

Its alright I've got enough cattle for the both of ya's. You have my permission to hat er up. If you are looking for sun protection really look at a palm leaf straw. Betcha 95 percent of the straw hats I saw at that deal last weekend were Sunbody's the rest probably being Atwoods. Betcha all of them were palm leaf.

I wouldn't worry about the "all hat and no cattle" comment. I have had that said of me,I dont let it bother me. I was raised around cattle and horses, though I haven't rode one in over a decade. 99% of the time anyone says that, they themselves have never had any dealings with livestock. Do people ask what team someone plays for because they wear a baseball cap? Or when someone is wearing a NFL jersey do they comment that they look small for a football player? Usually when someone has a negative remark about my hat its someone who owns a horse,rides it maybe 10 minutes every couple months and thinks he's more entitled. I've been to Oklahoma and met cattlemen from all over, aint none of them ever sneered at my hat. Besides I usually answer that question with my own "When was the last time YOU was arm pit deep in a bovine?o_O " lol that usually shuts them up:D:thumbsup:

Heck even we get that. Probably has to do with going to lunch sometimes in boots, spurs, hats and if its cold we don't take the leggins off. "Where's your horse cowboy?" "Out in the trailer I hope, like he's suppose to be."

Nichole collecting some of her loot and a check in her Sunbody. She took two seconds, Novice Ranch Horse class and Novice Doctoring:

5kdPgcy.jpg

wOBe1LK.jpg

And my old friend Rich, a Sunbody too and he bought that knife from me bout a gillion years ago or so.

hnK2WIC.jpg

It's nice you have a place to do all that. Our Cutting and Team Penning arenas are all but gone now around me. I used to Team Pen and Team Rope and my wife was a Cutting cowgirl. Holy smokes cowpoke, you have pictures of some mighty fine knives and hats there now. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Ya bet and thanks. This deal is warm up, here's the biggie, jump on a plane.

http://www.proamroping.com/

Competitors from all over North America, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia.

Must be one heck of a hat.

It truly is. Simply the finest hat I've ever worn, period. I've worn it in wind and rain, triple digits and snow, dust and mud.Heck I'll even wear it in the shop if I'm only doing leather work.

GMTKv5w.jpg

Same here,we used to get remarks all the time about us being cowboys and wearing hats and spurs in a restaurant or someplace on the way home from a ride with the horses out in the trailer or coming back from a High School Rodeo event where we worked it for the boys and girls. We really made people stand up and pay attention when 120 of us tied our horses off outside and walked into a bar/restaurant to eat. Most people in Ohio aren't used to that and don't know that Ohio is probably the third largest Quarter Horse state in the US of A. Of course with 120 riders and most in Cowboy hats, who has the ba@#! to say anything. As Merrill Haggard used to sing," I wear my own kind of hat".

It's like knives, you want to us it.
Wanna wear it just wear it.:D

Much used, Akubra outback club and big case, I've had to steam & reshape a few times. It's even been sat on by my daughter. This 1 I wear year round.
UrX3yu.jpg

Akubra cattleman with my little wombat knife. Low crown wide brim.
9dsfcB.jpg
FpQP22.jpg

Cheers
mitch

It's like knives, you want to us it.
Wanna wear it just wear it.:D

Much used, Akubra outback club and big case, I've had to steam & reshape a few times. It's even been sat on by my daughter. This 1 I wear year round.
UrX3yu.jpg

Akubra cattleman with my little wombat knife. Low crown wide brim.
9dsfcB.jpg
FpQP22.jpg

Cheers
mitch
Nice pictures Mitch. I like the Akubra Cattleman also. I have one in brown, but I sure do like that knife you have laying on the brim and everything about it.That would make a nice field dressing knife for White Tail. I like the black hat in the first picture too. My being only 5'7", I could fool people into thinking that I was six foot tall with that one.:)

Nice pictures Mitch. I like the Akubra Cattleman also. I have one in brown, but I sure do like that knife you have laying on the brim and everything about it.That would make a nice field dressing knife for White Tail. I like the black hat in the first picture too. My being only 5'7", I could fool people into thinking that I was six foot tall with that one.:)

Thanks mate,

Here's a quick shot, I've had it about 20 years.
BYPXAh.jpg

Back