Have you ever dropped your knife?

I have.
I've twice dropped my super sharp ones. They fell and luckily I made the split second decision to not catch them.
My ex-wife also pushed my PXL off my patio table and it hit the patio flagstone and got a nice dent in it's whatever we call it...the collar. I left her.
Has anyone tried to catch an open falling knife? I just watched them fall in horror. Probably for the best.
Something to keep in mind.
Both times involved people and dogs and it is still my fault, I'm aware.

Yep, this one took a fall off this rail as I was taking this pic. A gust of wind came up and off she went, 6 feet to the concrete.
She fared pretty well, with just a bit of a scuff on the butt.
32199358947_ace4465e7c_h.jpg

Now this one did not fare so well and I dropped it on carpet from maybe 3-4 feet. Just landed wrong and snapped a bit of the tip off.

It could of been worse.
36407564446_ed9bf5548d_k.jpg

34304595711_92ba57cd4c_h.jpg

Yeah, their tools I use them as such. Sometimes they get abused intentionally or unintentionally. Sometimes they get dropped, sometimes their used to cut open bags fulls of rocks, scrap metal, etc.

I'd rather drop my knife than my phone, and considering the fact that a heavily used and abused Kabar Dozier keeps winding up in my pocket despite numerous attempts to replace it I'm not sure if I can notice a new scratch or chip in it's DLC coating.

Yes of course. If it's in my right hand, there is at 78% chance I'll lose my grip. My right hand (and knee) like to turn to jelly at the most inopportune times.

HAHAHAHAHAHA HE SAID “KNIFE”!

SINGULAR!

HAHAHAHA!!!

Aaaahhhhhh... that was fun.

Yeah, I’ve dropped a loooooottttt of knives.

Edited because 2019: this was me making fun of our collecting habits, not making fun of the OP. It’s all in fun.

Yup. Protech TR5 getting out of my car. Fortunately it fell closed but sprung open when it hit the ground. I sent it to Protech and they tweaked it like new. Still a little dent on the knife but not bad.

you mean like the time the cinch cord on my jacket caught the clip on my $800 custom folder when i was getting ready to use the toilet?
The cord pulled the knife out of my pocket and the blade came part way open and the knife hit the rim of the toilet and chipped my blade.
I had the knife for a whole 48 hours at that point. haha.

Context for my first reply: I often fondle or fidget flip with my off hand while driving on straightaways. I stop and usually put my folder across my lap when I get in traffic or anything other than open road. I usually forget that I’ve done so.

This often results in standing up to get out of the car and ejecting my folder onto pavement.

I met a sushi chef at a knife show once that had the largest bandage I'd ever seen on his hand. When asked he said he doesn't (didnt) let his knife hit the floor. I'd say the op made a better split second decision.

I have.
I've twice dropped my super sharp ones. They fell and luckily I made the split second decision to not catch them.
My ex-wife also pushed my PXL off my patio table and it hit the patio flagstone and got a nice dent in it's whatever we call it...the collar. I left her.
Has anyone tried to catch an open falling knife? I just watched them fall in horror. Probably for the best.
Something to keep in mind.
Both times involved people and dogs and it is still my fault, I'm aware.

I have dropped many knives and only 1 quenched knife has ever broken into 2 pieces;
I have broken 2 attempting straightening.
I have also dropped a few clangers in my time. :(:D

This is the LEARNING CURVE. :rolleyes:

I have an odd habit. If I drop something I usually stick my foot out to break it’s fall. Which usually works out fine unless you actually kick the object across the room.

If I don’t have shoes on, I don’t try the catch it with my foot thing.

It all happens automatically and I don’t have control over it. But somehow my foot knows what it can or cannot catch safely.

I have a uncle who one time tried to catch a falling circular saw that was still winding down. It wasn’t pretty.

I’ve dropped my knives a few times here and there but never had the chance to be able to try to catch one of my falling knives.

Dropped my Kershaw cqc 10 while blade was out onto the granite floor at home, landed right on the upswept tip of the blade. Cracked the tip right off, 6mm~ from the tip was broken off.

Dropped my Benchmade 860 while getting out of my car at a gas station, it was on my lap forgot it was there when I got up. The blade was closed when I dropped it I guess the axis lock was too loose so at some point the blade opened slightly and the edge and tip hit the concrete and then closed. Messed up the edge and tip, and some chips on the g10 handle.

Victorinox Huntsman. It was closed when I dropped it, so no concerns there. Nothing fell off, although I've always been wondering how the small blade and corkscrew became bent. Maybe the fall had something to do with it.

Benchmade Griptilian 550HG. At the time I dropped it, it was my most expensive knife. It was open, and it landed on the spine of the blade. No damage to the blade, blade centering when closed was still perfect, action was still as smooth as before, no lock-stick, no noticeable change to anything at all.

Both knives fell from about chest-height onto a hard marble floor.

Back