Have you ever seen anything creepy?

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the many stories in this thread and would like to thank those who have shared their experiences with the rest of us. Not only are such tales entertaining; they give me pause for thought as I reflect upon my own experiences throughout life.

With that in mind I'll share one of my more easily explained experiences. While it is largely dissimilar to most of the stories told thus far, the unknown sense that I believe we all have does play a roll in this particular story. I have other, less explainable, experiences as well, but for now I'll leave them for another day. (I have my reasons for that – some of which have to do with responses that were less than polite, and extremely judgmental, in light of the fact that the respondents had absolutely no basis for the assumptions (they) made.)

The first 14 years of my life were spent living on a farm; with my remaining childhood years spent living in a very small town still dominated by farming. In fact I still worked on a farm, while living in town, and was every bit the typical farm kid growing up in the mid-west.

In my later twenties I received an ultimatum from the woman I was living with: move, with her, to New Jersey or she'd move without me. Like a fool I chose to move with her; despite the fact that I had no job prospects and knew absolutely nobody in New Jersey.

Luck was on my side though, as my experience in the beverage industry landed a job as the regional manager for a fairly large soft drink manufacturer/distributor. The company had its own proprietary brands, as well as multiple contracted brands (primarily from Caribbean nations) that allowed us to do a very brisk business in the various inner-city areas.

To that point in time I had never been in an inner-city area, let alone spending considerable amounts of time working in such areas.

I was cautious and more than a bit appalled by what I routinely saw while working in those areas, but naive enough to have no fear while working areas that very much reminded me of hell - after it had been through a major bombing campaign.

My company car looked every bit the unmarked police vehicle and I found great amusement in the fact that the locals would frequently take off running, while yelling “5-O”, when I pulled up to the corner bodega and got out of my car. Many of my employees thought I was nuts and told me that I had a death wish – that I simply had no idea of how many times I was covered by multiple guns aimed my way, while talking business in a bodega that was nothing more than a front for drugs.

I laughed it all off and got used to the sidewalks covered in empty crack-viles, the crunching sound they made as I walked the sidewalks, the people mistaking me for a cop, and the numerous looks of sheer hatred that were frequently tossed my way. I was used to my drivers being paid with nothing but $5 bills (the going price for a vile of crack) and was accustomed to being the only white guy – save the occasional cop – in the area.

One day I asked one of my employees (he was from one of the areas we sold a lot of soft drinks) why nobody had bothered me, why people ran while yelling “5-O” and why so many of the locals seemed to hate my guts. I had thought I was left alone because so many thought I was a cop. I was wrong. My employee explained that they ran, while yelling “5-O” because they thought I was a cop and the locals hated me because they thought I was a cop, but being a cop wasn't what had prevented them from harming me. What had kept me from harm was a combination of my size, the fact that I was white and showed no fear – making the locals unsure of what I was capable of – and that I just looked mean. It also helped that I always wore cowboy boots – something not really seen in those areas – and that odd quirk, coupled with the rest, made them think I was dangerous.

The truth is that I was naive – a country bumpkin out of place and too ignorant to understand how much danger I was in, or why.

The owner of the company asked me to work with the sales people in Brooklyn for several days. I wasn't too worried, at the time anyway, because the NY salespeople all seemed to think the areas in NJ (that I routinely worked in) were much worse than anything they had seen in New York, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad at all.

My salesman parked his car down the street and we walked to a little bodega that was a couple of doors down from the corner. Right in front of the bodega was a car with a man – probably in his late 50's – just sitting in the passenger seat. The day was beautiful, a warm late spring day, and I figured the guy was just enjoying the weather while the driver ran errands. Still, something seemed a bit off to me – I just couldn't figure it out.

The area was called Bed-Sty – not a nice place, but it didn't seem as bad as other areas I had been to. Besides, I was with my salesman this time, so it wasn't just some white guy out and about on his own.

We were nearly done with our sales call, up near the counter finalizing the last few details on the order.

The front door opened and I nearly laughed out loud.

There was a young boy – probably 14 or so – standing there wearing a ski-mask and holding, what I thought was, a toy gun that was pointed directly at me. He was scared. I don't know how I knew that, but I instinctively knew he was absolutely terrified. I'd say he was 15 feet from me and I don't think anyone else noticed him (two customers, the owner, or my salesman).

Suddenly the door opened again and in stepped another guy wearing a ski-mask. He too held a gun that was pointed directly at me. This one was older; probably in his late teens or early twenties and he wasn't scared at all.

He had done this before. I knew that instantly, but I can't say why I knew that. It was just obvious.

His gun was definitely real. I could plainly see the gaping hole and his finger tight on the trigger. I knew he intended to shoot me and probably everyone else.

The older guy walked up to me and put the barrel of his gun right on my temple, then told me to stop looking looking at them and to get down of the ground.

He asked me if I was a cop.

I told him that I wasn't.

He asked again, several times.

I kept telling him I wasn't.

He then told his partner to go through my pockets. I was face-down on the floor. The younger guy held his gun to the back of my head and began reaching in my left front pocket. He found nothing and began reaching in my left front pocket again.

The older guy asked me where my money was and if I had a gun.

I told him my money was in my right front pocket and that I did not have a gun

The younger guy went through my left front pocket again – finding nothing.

The older guy asked in a more menacing tone (“where is your money”?)

I told him “my other right front pocket.”

The younger guy finally searched the right-front pocket and found my money. He took my money and was told to search the other people.

The older guy stood near my head and I assume he had his gun pointed at me, as he seemed very concerned with me.

Once the younger guy was done taking money from the others, the older guy told him to take the money from the register.

The older guy had me stand up an face away from him. His gun was pressed into the back of my head and he told the others to stay as they were. He then told me to walk slowly to the back room – as he followed with the gun pressed into the back of my head.

I knew he was planning to kill me – I could feel it in every fiber of my being.

The older robber wasn't scared, his gun didn't shake in the slightest. I got the picture that he was enjoying himself – bossing a much stronger and much bigger man around.

I told myself that the pain would be immense and that I'd likely lose my sight immediately. I pictured his exact location in my mind and steadied myself to grab his throat so as to crush his windpipe and take him with me.

I felt no fear – none whatsoever. There was some anger I'm sure, but the overwhelming emotion running through me was determination – take him with me. I knew I'd have a second, maybe two, to lock my hand on his throat and crush it with all my might – then it would be over and my pain would be gone.

I was in the back room; alone with the older robber and his gun was pressed tightly against the back of my head. I don't know how long it was like that; just him and I waiting for that moment when everything will change. It seemed like a long time, but it probably wasn't.

My thoughts were more clear than they've ever been. I could hear everything – the ticking of some clock, his breathing, the traffic outside. I could feel the blood pumping through my body, my muscles tensing for action.

I heard a woman sobbing softly, then steps coming nearer to the back room

The younger kid's voice told the others to get inside the back room and the older guy moved his gun away from my head. I saw him grab the phone cord and slash down with his gun in an effort to break the cord. He did this several times without success.

I know then that we were going to live.

I offered to break the phone cord for him, so they'd leave before they changed their minds again. I grabbed the cord and easily broke it with my hands – I saw the look of surprise in the older guy's eyes and then he left, telling us not to come out until they were gone.

The woman was crying hard as she begged me, in broken English, not to leave the backroom. She was afraid that they'd come back and kill us all.

I went outside. The guy was still sitting there in the passenger seat – window down, just enjoying the day.

I went to the payphone and called the police.

They were there in a few minutes and didn't seem to think it was a big deal (since nobody was physically harmed).

That shocked me.

The guy in the passenger seat – windows open, sitting a few feet from the front door – saw absolutely nothing.

That did not surprise me at all.

Later that day I was afraid. My fear came long after the events had transpired.

I don't know why – the danger had passed – and I was safe.

I think maybe it's because I would have killed them both if given the opportunity.

That was nearly 3 decades ago. I'm sure the older robber is either dead or long locked up in prison. It wasn't his first rodeo and it would only be a matter of time before someone did what I was going to do.

I'm glad that I don't have to live with it.

@Tahts, That's some story. Really well written and descriptive too. Please share your other stories and ignore anyone who acts like an idiot.

@Everyone in the thread, We've all been talking about "the feeling", how would you describe it in detail?

To me it seems almost like I've suddenly gone into shock, sometimes it feels (mentally, not like the physical pain) like how I think it would feel to be shot, no real thought about it other than "oh crap" and the feeling of danger. Sometimes it's really strong and it feels like mortal danger, yet sometimes it's weaker and it doesn't feel as serious. When it's strong it puts a really adrenaline pumping, unignorable, fear in me, but also very strong awareness, but when it's weaker it still gets the adrenaline going and heightens awareness, but I can usually shake it off or at least ignore it if I'm feeling too arrogant and proud to listen to it.

@Tahts, That's some story. Really well written and descriptive too. Please share your other stories and ignore anyone who acts like an idiot.

@Everyone in the thread, We've all been talking about "the feeling", how would you describe it in detail?

To me it seems almost like I've suddenly gone into shock, sometimes it feels (mentally, not like the physical pain) like how I think it would feel to be shot, no real thought about it other than "oh crap" and the feeling of danger. Sometimes it's really strong and it feels like mortal danger, yet sometimes it's weaker and it doesn't feel as serious. When it's strong it puts a really adrenaline pumping, unignorable, fear in me, but also very strong awareness, but when it's weaker it still gets the adrenaline going and heightens awareness, but I can usually shake it off or at least ignore it if I'm feeling too arrogant and proud to listen to it.

I hate that feeling..makes reflex actions and muscle memory nasty.

Lots of great stories here. A lot of us have the same report-- a creepy sudden feeling of potential danger, that the current environment ( or a dark unknown space we are about to go into) is NOT SAFE. Most times we never know whether somebody with bad intentions was really out there or not.
Neurologists tell an analogy story about the evolution of the human brain...there's not a lot of Evolutionary downside to mistaking a stick for a snake, but a brain that consistently mistakes a snake for a stick is sooner or later going to get bred out of a healthy gene pool.

I've had some real life close calls, where I survived or escaped the consequences of bad luck or my own bad decisions by blind chance or reflexes or who knows, divine intervention?

I had a sudden irrational urge to pack up and get out of a campsite, and learned the next day that the other campers had been robbed at gunpoint by local drifters just after I left. I got a sudden irrational urge to get out of the water and shortly after another swimmer was attacked by a gator none of us knew was there. I've cut short a night dive on a sudden irrational urge-- who knows, maybe I dodged some unseen shark or other predator.

I don't go through life like Mister Chicken. But I have learned not to argue with that strange, irrational little voice that suddenly shouts GET.OUT.NOW.

Last edited:
So you would describe it much the same way?

BTW, Bored, any more stories? :D

Yes, some what. Muscle memory and reflex actions to mean, as described by former girl friends, that when I woke from a nasty nightmare that I was on my feet and in fighting stance in a about a second. Scared some of them lol, but I always had them behind me, as if shielding them from something. Martial arts since I was a kid..it will do that to you. Dreams can draw both the best and worst from an individual.

I have many stories, as well as experiences..some I will go into, others I wont. I have come across places in the woods where I found less than savory things..one such place a fire had burned, bibles lay torn and burned..MANY burned. Came across an old barn while scouting, big red pentagram on the floor and candles everywhere. :rolleyes: As a kid I went exploring through an abandoned building which had dolls hanging from nooses everywhere.

Ive had the luck to see what I have heard called ball lightning, flitting over tree tops on my way home. Have watched coyotes watching me, wondering if they were wondering how I would taste..lol. When younger had the opportunity to watch a black bear pawing around a relatives yard...of course I was young at the time, and so made bear noises at it...it got a bit po'ed..lol.

Most recent though, around one AM one night weeks ago, took my dogs out to pee. Stood on my porch in my pjs, wide awake. I look to the right, and on my house is a mans shadow. No, not my own shadow. I looked all around, moved stuff, couldnt find where in the hells it came from. It was weird to say the least. Made me wonder at first if someone was standing nearby, but there was no one. Was kinda creepy,

Have gotten the "being watched" feeling several times in public - most of the time, when I look around, there's a guy staring at me from some distance off. Either the guy looks away immediately when I spot him, or if he doesn't, I continue scanning, then move to a safer position / area. These looks vary in the 'feeling' I get off of them, from neutral/interested to creepy. No idea how I'm noticing this without the guy being in my line of sight to begin with, but it definitely falls into the category of "do not ignore." I don't really know how to describe the feeling other than a psychological pressure on my skull that's vaguely directional.

Tallahassee said, "there's not a lot of Evolutionary downside to mistaking a stick for a snake, but a brain that consistently mistakes a snake for a stick is sooner or later going to get bred out of a healthy gene pool." We're wired to scan for threats, and I think sometimes our brains throw stuff at us to see if we're paying attention:

When I was 8 or 9, our neighbors next door had a kid of similar age whom I played with all the time, and they had an above-ground pool, one of those metal-cylinder+plastic-liner types. They invited me to use the pool during the summer even if they weren't there. I did so one day, and the pool for whatever reason had not been maintained recently. The water was about 3' deep and pea-soup green, totally opaque, but otherwise free of debris. It was in the beginning of becoming a pond.

I had swum for maybe 10-15 minutes when I started getting the "danger" sense. It ramped up really, really quickly, and I knew I had to get out of that pool fast, there was something in it, even though the logic part of my brain knew that there was no way there was a snake or turtle in there - I'd not seen anything on approaching the pool (and I knew how to spot snakes and turtles by then). I listened to my hindbrain and hightailed it to the ladder. Sat at the top and watched for another 5 minutes; nothing. To this day I don't think there was anything in there - I was just on someone's property by myself, and was in a state of heightened awareness because of it, and my hindbrain decided to throw something at me.

Here's another one where there was no threat but I could not ignore the "bad" feeling: I was out walking some old railroad tracks by a cabin my grandparents had. I came across a mostly-decayed deer leg, and carried it back to the cabin with me, figuring I could make something out of the hooves. It was old enough to not be smelly anymore - just desiccated bits of flesh clinging to it, and still articulated - but I think there was a trace amount of smell left to it. When I went to depart the cabin in my car, I got this overwhelming feeling of wrongness about the deer leg being in my car. It made zero sense, but I stopped less than 100 yards down the road and threw the thing out. I think my hindbrain was just reacting to the consciously-undetectable carrion scent in the enclosed car. I've come across animals in various states of decay before, one of them bad enough to make me gag when I was downwind of it, but never the wrongness feeling on any of those.

And, a premonition that turned out to not be true: I was driving towards an intersection that had a right-turn lane that had no yield, it went into its own lane. Broad enough turn you could take it at 30mph. I had the extremely distinct, vivid vision of turning right and someone near-t-boning me from the left at a high rate of speed. My entire sight was replaced with this vision for a little less than 2 seconds, it was like a waking dream. Needless to say, I approached the turn with caution, but there was no one coming from my left at all. And there hadn't been anyone; the vision hadn't caused me to slow down and miss the accident. Yes, brain, I'm awake now, thanks.

The story I've got about not ignoring the feeling and the feeling being right - my dad was helping me fix my car, and we had gone to a couple of parts stores when I suggested we stop at a grocery store and grab some snacks before heading back. I had never been in this store before, though it was part of a chain that I used all the time. It was in a known high-crime part of town, but right on the main road. It was broad daylight at the time. My dad has trouble walking, so he stayed in the car in the parking lot while I went inside.

The feeling started a couple seconds after I walked into the store. The produce section was weird. I felt uneasy. The sunlight coming in through the high windows looked strange. I moved down the first aisle, realizing I had no idea what the layout of this store was like, and I'd have to hunt to find things. Up the second aisle, the feeling of wrongness / nearby danger is so strong now it's like psychological vertigo. I wasn't physically dizzy, but felt like I was standing on a severely sloped floor. It's not an imminent danger - not like something's breathing down my neck - just 'get out get out get out'. I have been in the store less than 5 minutes, and decide that yep, I'm getting out.

The walk back to my dad's car is uneventful. I get in and say, "I don't know what it is about that store, but I got a really bad feeling in there, so I think we should go someplace else." My dad replies, "well, that's okay, because as I was sitting here, I was watching a couple of guys just strolling around through the parking lot. They weren't going between a vehicle and the store, they were just cruising, looking."

A bit of a tangent:
Something a lot of people aren't aware of is that we can hear the acoustical presence of things. Especially people-sized things or larger. Even if something is completely silent, if it's big enough to be changing the way the higher-pitched sounds travel in the environment, you can pick up on it (high freqs are very directional). When I was a kid and eating breakfast in the mornings, I noticed I could tell when my mom was walking down the hallway from the bedrooms towards the living room and eventually kitchen, even though I couldn't hear anything directly and the hallway was completely out of my line of sight. I thought it might be ESP or something until one of my college friends explained it.

As she entered the hallway and walked down it, her body was blocking all the high-pitched stuff - like HVAC fan noise, or someone taking a shower or running the faucet - from the bedrooms/bathrooms behind her. Really, really subtle. If you want to train yourself to hear this, go find a public fountain that makes some white noise, sit/stand some distance from it, and turn your back to the fountain. And listen for people walking behind you. You might not hear their footsteps but you'll hear them blocking the high-pitched fountain noise as they move from one side to another.

Great thread so far. I have an anxiety disorder unfortunately, so if I always heeded the feeling I'd probably never leave the house lol.

One thing creepy:
About 12 yrs ago my dad and I were turkey hunting in the spring season. We were hunting my grandad's 76 acres. Since he didn't live on this piece of property, he had the entrance gated and padlocked. We parked at the entrance and walked in. It was pitch black, and we arrived at our spot in the "food plot". We sat in our spot until about 9am and decided we'd go into town and get breakfast and then return for a late morning hunt. As we gathered our stuff and started heading to the truck, we noticed another hunter across the "food plot" field. None of us knew the other was there. As all of us were in full camo, we have no idea how long he'd been there. He stood up and disappeared into the woods.

My "gut feeling":
One day while driving the 2hrs to my grandad's house, I had the urge to take a different route than normal. Instead of the most direct route, we turned off the main highway earlier than normal and took the two-lane state highways. Then it happened. We drove up on a car that was upside-down in a ditch, just before a culvert pipe. We pulled over and ran up to the car. There were two kids (under 20yrs old) inside. Debris was everywhere and we could hear one of the kids groaning. At that time we heard a cell phone ringing from inside the car. Without thinking, I was able to push the car from upside-down to 45*, with the tires resting on the side of the ditch and freeing the doors on one side of the car. Turns out that it was two brothers following their parents and the oldest brother fell asleep at the wheel. The ringing phone was the dad calling because whenever he checked his rearview mirror, he didn't see them. The parents had driven 5 miles down the road before turning back. The brothers were okay- the driver had a few scratches and bruises, and the passenger had a broken arm and shoulder. All and all very lucky.

Creepy:
My wife's grandma died December 30th of 2013. She found out she had inoperable brain tumors, and instead of treatment, decided to stay at home and live out her remaining weeks. The day before she died, the whole family was at her house. Myself and my 4 yr old boy were in the front room sneaking Reese's peanut butter cups. There asked "who is that?" I figured he was asking about one of my wife's uncles that was smoking on the porch. So I looked outside and told him that I didn't see anyone. Then I went into the kitchen and everyone was accounted for. I didn't think about it again until a few days afterwards when my kid asked "why was that man smoking in mama's house?" Knowing that myself and everyone in the kitchen didn't see anyone we didn't know, I asked him more about it. He told me that the man was smoking a "not-a-cigarette" but a cigar and had "bald hair" and no feet. I told my wife and she said that her grandpa always smoked cigars and was bald. However he died in 2000. I never even met him. I believe that he saw the spirit of my wife's grandpa that day, and he was calling her grandma home. Upon my son seeing this spirit, it became very cold in the room where her grandma was in her hospice bed. She died about 12 hours later.

Last edited:
When I was around 4 years old (circa 1967), I was sitting on the floor playing and my mom was ironing clothes. I looked over into the entrance to the hallway, and suddenly I saw a strange man come into view. I have a good memory, and to this day I can still recall what he looked like. I can best describe it as appearing like an image on a TV obscured by television 'snow' (poor reception). But I could still see features. He wasn't very tall, average size or shorter. He appeared to be bald except for the sides of his head, and he had a mustache. He also appeared to move in slow motion, almost like someone who is underwater. His head slowly turned towards us, then he turned and continued walked towards another room and out of my line of sight.

When I saw him, I told my mom, "Look! There's a man over there!"

My mom said, "There's no one there." She didn't even look up from her ironing. I said, "The man is right there!" But she became annoyed and didn't look until he was already gone, saying, "I told you there's nobody there!" Even at around 4 years old, I felt frustrated that my mom didn't believe me and didn't look up in time. Which is probably just as well. Even if she had, I doubt she would have seen him. If my father had been there, he likely would have; he and the males on my father's side tended to be highly intuitive, and I later learned they all had many experiences over the years. I do know I wasn't imagining things. At that time, I had no concept of what a 'ghost' was, nor had I ever been told anything like that. Was it a 'ghost'? An image from the past somehow imprinted on the environment? A momentary glimpse into an alternate dimension? A spirit guide? I don't know. I hesitate to say it was a ghost, but I know that I did see something. I also know that I never felt any fear, nor threatened in any way by the 'man' I saw that day, and I've always had good instincts.

That was my first 'paranormal' experience. Since then, I've had a number of them, but I never saw that 'man' again.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, your post reminded me of a case of sleep paralysis I had a few months back in the way you described the slow motion movements. Woke up to find a giant of a man in black medieval armor staring to the side but with his body facing me, he was looking at my dog, then his head slowly turned with almost a stone-on-stone churning sound, then he slowly faded. He didn't particularly scare me like people describe in most sleep paralysis, though.

Jim, your post reminded me of a case of sleep paralysis I had a few months back in the way you described the slow motion movements. Woke up to find a giant of a man in black medieval armor staring to the side but with his body facing me, he was looking at my dog, then his head slowly turned with almost a stone-on-stone churning sound, then he slowly faded. He didn't particularly scare me like people describe in most sleep paralysis, though.

Hi, Noswad0208.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Did your dog seem aware of it? It's interesting that you heard a sound...in my sighting, the being was completely silent. Although I was wide awake during my sighting, I wonder if, sometimes during sleep paralysis, the mind or consciousness becomes less inhibited by left-brain thinking and can become aware of things that are ordinarily invisible to the five senses.

Jim

Hi, Noswad0208.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Did your dog seem aware of it? It's interesting that you heard a sound...in my sighting, the being was completely silent. Although I was wide awake during my sighting, I wonder if, sometimes during sleep paralysis, the mind or consciousness becomes less inhibited by left-brain thinking and can become aware of things that are ordinarily invisible to the five senses.

Jim

He was either unaware of it, or totally disinterested. Like I said, it was just a stone-on-stone sound, and IIRC it was pretty loud.

My 4 yo has been waking up in the middle of the night recently and stating she was seeing "black ghosts" in her room, described to me as shadow figures. She had colored a picture with crayons showing what she saw, it was weird and freaked my wife out. She has the imagination of a normal 4 year old but has had no exposure to TV or other media portraying paranormal images that could have influenced her. One night after such an episode, she came into bed with us and while drinking some water made a concerned face and ducked into the covers in not a playful manor and after some prodding said it was next to the bed. I didn't see anything and don't know if she was simply dreaming or making it up but it's very strange none the less.

I have always been somewhat conflicted on what I believe about things which are "paranormal". I choose not to get too far into it due to judgements and misconceptions it may cause. I have personally experienced things I can not explain, nor can anyone explain to me. I personally do not believe in the whole heaven and hell, great creator, lord and saviour idea, although I believe it is a comforting thing for those that do and helps many in a time of greif. The internal problem this leads me to however, is explaining several events I have experienced. Mentioned many pages back in this thread. I know what I saw, but I do not know how or why I saw it. On an unrelated topic I do have several other times I can mention.

I remember being terrified as a child of a certain window in my house. I would have been roughly 4 years old. The window was in my brothers room, and we did not share that room. I assume to this day it was simply a recurring dream, but I vividly remember it as if it were real. Many nights I mornings I would wake up with a chilling memory of a man looking in that window. Not really a man as in a normal live person, but a very pale man with large eyes without color, just shiny and black. It could not have been a human either way unless it was someone on a ladder every time. Based on window height and visible shoulders he would have had to be around 9 feet tall if he was standing on the ground. I have a memory that his body was coverd in black clothes but it may have just been the darkness. We know it was not a person because even in the winter there were never any tracks in the snow of any kind.

I feel I have a pretty good sense of danger and credit it mostly to situational awareness bordering on obsessive maybe. When I see someone acting strangely or suspiciously, I tend to automatically start catalog using detailed descriptions of them. Facial features, clothing, other people they may be with. It seems paranoid but it has helped before. While working at a gas station, a man of some Asian descent pulled up in an old cube van. He seemed strange right off the bat and had two very large dogs with him. He came in and bought every bag of ice we had in the freezer, before pulling to the empty lot behind the store. We watched as he opened the back and removed coolers and tubs, dumping water out and pouring in ice. Everything seemed off about this guy and this struck is as odd so two of us walked back there, hoping to get close enough to see what was going on. Before he told us to leave him the hell alone, I smelled a smell I knew well. Growing up in a hunting family, I knew the faint smell of blood instantly. We went back to the store and locked the doors and called police. We were sure there were bodies in that truck. In true RCMP fashion at the time, the man left and police showed up about 40 minutes later to see what was up. I explained everything, with full detail and they left. A couple days later and officer stopped me on the street and said it was a good thing I called in. He couldn't tell me what they found, but said the guy had been caught about 250 miles from here. All the officer would tell me to calm my nerves was that what was in the truck was not human. Eventually I found out it was illegal animal parts, that he had acquired from poachers and was trying to transport across the county.

Another time while working at the same station, on an extremely busy long weekend, I kept having a weird feeling someone was going to get hit on the highway right in front of the station. Traffic was crazy and people were pulling in and out all day. Just before leaving work, a buddy called and said he was stopping by to see me. I told him to meet me at my house because I was leaving work. He insisted I just wait because he was already half way there anyway. After argueing back and forth I decided to sit tight and wait for him to show up. A few minutes later I see his red car coming down the highway, and standing in the middle of the parking lot I watch him turn directly towards the parking lot into the path of an oncoming truck. I just remember instantly thinking "this, this is the accident" and being at his car before the truck that hit him had even stopped moving. Nobody was injured but both vehicles were totalled.

Another couple stories which were terrifying at the time, but funny now, happened at my grand parents farm. My cousin and I used to stay there sometimes in the summer, when we were around 10-12. I remember one day just as it was getting dark, walking back towards the house after trying to shoot birds with our pellet guns. As we pass the old creepy outhouse in the trees, we hear a kind of screaming noise and thrashing. We freaked and ran to the house to tell my grandpa. He came out with a flashlight and we discovered a skunk had fallen in the old dried up hole and could not get out. He threw a board down there and we ran as the skunk climbed out and took off.

The second story from there was the most terrifying however. One night while playing with our dad's old hot wheels tracks, (the orange kind that I believe the still use to whip terrorists during interrogation) we heard a tapping or knocking noise. Three short taps with a pause, then several more and more silence. We felt brave and searched the basement thinking maybe a cat was inside or it was something in the furnace room. We could not trace the sound for the longest time other than to one end of the basement. As we came out of the furnace room it tapped again 3 times and we realized it was coming from the basement window right beside us. It had a curtain so we could not see outside, but screamed and ran upstairs. Telling my grandpa that someone was knocking on the window and probably wanting to kill us, prompted a quick response from him. He grabbed a flashlight, and a shovel from the porch and went outside. We followed behind when we heard him laughing his ass off and calling us. Our tapping murdered was actually a male pheasant. Apparently it was looking for a fight and saw it's reflection in the glass. The tapping was the bird, all puffed up pecking at his own reflection in the window.

A human skull with a couple of holes in the back of the head, no lower jaw, just it laying on top of the forest debris in a clump of pine saplings. Still had dried on bits and wasn't sun bleached. Unexpected during an elk hunt. SAR later came out and did a grid search, finding most of the pieces the critters scattered around. The holes had surgical tool marks. They never identified the old guy as far as I know.

A human skull with a couple of holes in the back of the head, no lower jaw, just it laying on top of the forest debris in a clump of pine saplings. Still had dried on bits and wasn't sun bleached. Unexpected during an elk hunt. SAR later came out and did a grid search, finding most of the pieces the critters scattered around. The holes had surgical tool marks. They never identified the old guy as far as I know.

That's freaky. :eek:

When I was with 10th Mountain in Kosovo in 2001 one of our jobs was to set up "non lethal" ambushes up in the mountains on the Macedonian border. There were a lot of mines, and the hardline KLA guys trained up in the mountains at a village where the Serbs had supposedly killed a lot of Albanian civilians. We had no coms (because of the topography) so we would send a fire team back down to the humvees to check on the guys at the trucks-2 would stop and pull security halfway down (and relay ICOM transmissions back up the mountain, two would go down to the trucks.
The two relay guys were me and a dude from upstate NY with no imagination to him whatsoever. We're back to back on the edge of this field and he says "B-do you see those people?" I turn and look (my NODS are turned off 'cause there was decent moonlight and i was trying to save batteries) and I don't see anybody. I flip my NODS down, turn them on and I see what looks like an adult and two kids walking across the field about 200m out, stopping every once in a while. Turn my 7B's off, they're gone again.turn them on again, and they're there but they moved. Never felt threatened by it, but it was some eldritch sh*t to say the least.

Nearly got hit by a truck today..lol..I thouht people were supposed to stop for pesestrians?! Anyway..my life flashed before my eyes. Freaked the hell out. That jerk.

Sorry I normally only lurk on here but I've enjoyed reading these stories so much I thought I'd share a bit of wierdness.
I do winter hillwalking. Nothing special here in the U.K in comparison to what you can do in the U.S but good for a day walk.
So one early February day I was doing what was actually a relatively short walk from the village of Goathland then across Fylingdales Moor, part of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park in northern England. Any of you in your military may of heard of this place as about 3 miles south across the moor is RAF Fylingdales, a joint RAF/US Air Force facility for your space defence command.
The weather was perfect. Zero degrees centigrade, a Siberian easterly headwind blowing constantly at what I guessed to be about 30-40 mph, wind chill -8c. Visibility about 500 yards. Constant hail and airborne ice whipped up by the wind. about six inches of snow but the ground was semi-frozen/waterlogged and I'd already gone up to my hips in a sink hole.
So I'd just passed half-way at a point marked by 'Ella Cross' the most ancient Christian monument in northern England. I'm effectively on a level plateaux and as far as visibility allows I can see I'm the only person out there. When all of a sudden this wind that hasn't abated once all day suddenly dies down to nothing more than a light breeze. So suddenly I stop and think "phew, I needed that". When all of a sudden what do I hear close by off to my right? A group of people talking. Properly chatting away but I don't catch what they said. I've got my hat and goggles on and my hood up so I whirl round thinking I've walked right past someone, a casualty; someone needing help maybe but I can't see anyone. I call out but no one replies. Then as I do the wind returns so quickly it almost blows me off my feet. I shrug my shoulders thinking thats damned wierd, maybe I imagined it.
I carry on walking and I've gone about 2 miles further when the same thing happens. With an absolute suddeness thats almost freaky the wind dies to nothing more than a light breeze. Again I stop thinking "phew! I needed that!" when what happens? Again, REALLY close off to my right, literally within yards I hear this group of people chatting away. This time I catch what their saying and their speaking in one of the Scandinavian languages (an ex-girlfriend was Swedish and I shared a house with a couple of Danes for a time) and they keep talking for about 3 minutes. I tear off my hood hat and goggles and shout out. I walk off what little there was of a track and start checking a couple of very shallow gullies close by but when I do the voices remain the same distance away from me then just fade away. I shout out then give six blasts on my emergency whistle. Nothing and no one there! Then as quickly as it died off the wind returns with a vengence. I put myself back together look about a bit more then think to myself I've had enough of this paranormal crap and continue my walk off the moors.
And thats it. I do believe in ghosts as I once worked in a haunted pub. But the only thing I can think of is these tracks are historically ancient ways across the moors and this part of England lies well within the 'Danelaw'. The part of England given over to the Vikings by the Anglo-Saxons in the ninth century. So who knows, maybe I was keeping some old Vikings company for a short while as they made their old way across the moors. So I didn't actually see anything but whatever it was it was pretty strange.

Back