Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

Thanks. You've excellent understanding of edge tools and your questions are complex.

Strength represents quantitative resistances in degrees of movement freedom within elastic range (take time to parse this line :D). Strength is a subset of toughness where toughness includes movement within plasticity and some ductility ranges. Hence very easily to get convoluted in deciphering/deducing one part from other. Unfortunately conventional/common physics refer toughness as some sort of pseudo resistance to brittle fracture, where a blade make from gum would be super tough but clearly it wouldn't be the toughness one has in mind when talking about edge tools.

You are right, the 63rc 3V has excess ductility and insufficient strength for given tasks in test. Edge geometry was intentionally thin to induce edge damage, which can be measure: mode and how much (kind and quantity). As stated in D2 video - 3V edge failed to whittle and did poorly on elk antler in compare to D2. Sure, D2 is 64rc but there are more than just 1 hrc diff involved here. Anyway both D2 and 3V rolled, except D2 rolled much less and its edge still functioning better than 3V. Next batch I will target 3V for 64rc. Not 65rc because from tested data, most steels have narrow plasticity range in 1-3rc at peak hardness. Your 3V chopper (I re-hted) at 15dps, 0.010" BET would micro-chip at these test tasks however extent(magnitude) of damage probably be less than this 63rc 3V.

From a non-knife user perspective, an edge tool performs a task: 1) pass/fail initially 2) pass/fail repeatedly 3) cost - extent of edge damage 4) cost - fixing damage. It seems knifenut often neglect 1 & 2 and mostly focus on 4. Well, it sure cost me more fixing the 63rc 3V than D2, but most importantly D2 passed the tasks involve antler.

But but one might say, we don't whittle nor chop antler with our knives. Well then either knife would works for less harsh/abuse usage, even with type of usage - D2 edge would performs better. Mind me - I am looking tasks and steel edge capability, not advocating a particular steel.

I agreed, per given task there is a good balance of strength aspect of toughness. Ideally a knife user really want is edge stability for given tasks.

Thanks for sharing your truly informative testing, Luong. Your work is awesome, and I appreciate your candor and honesty in revealing the results. I've never seen you hype anything.

I was wondering why you use such thin edges for chopping nails and bones? The 3V at 63 Rc you tested had an edge width of just 0.010 inches and an edge angle of 15 dps. I don't see how any edge that thin and acute can survive that kind of abuse, regardless of steel or heat treat. My understanding is that 3V heat treated conventionally does not have good edge stability with thin edges.

And in terms of edge stability, your 3V at 63 Rc seemed to roll and dent when abused, rather than chip. I don't know how hard you can take 3V, but wouldn't those results lead you to increase the hardness so that strength and toughness were more evenly balanced? Your tests showed toughness exceeding strength by a fair amount.

It seems that for any given steel/heat treat in a blade performing any given task, the best edge stability will be found at the perfect balance between strength and toughness (chipping and rolling).

BCMW - Batch 4 HT 5F is almost done. This batch only has 2 D2 blades. 1 has cryo other none, both same hrc at points prior to cryo, post cryo and tempered.

Cut 10mm dia 12L14 hexagon steel rod quest/challenge = Destroyed 63rc W2 + 64.5rc 26C3 blades, failed to cut through. There are at least 6 blades are waiting their turn :)

Completed HT 5G & 5H

Objective: Removing extra cold quench for ht treatment(LN2) of most steels [low, mid, high alloyed] with tempering temperature below 450F. So if hardness different pre vs post cryo is about 0.5rc or less, implied low RA%. When RA% estimated is less than 3%, would consider meet objective of HT.

Result of a few steels - hardness different/delta between without vs with Cryo. example: Steelx 1.0 means hrc without cryo is 1rc lower than with cryo.
17N2 0.75rc
D2 0.4rc
PSF27 -1 .0rc (AQ pre hrc is 1rc higher than post cryo rc), 0.25rc tempered
CPM D2 0.25rc
CPM 154 0.5rc
When target for 63rc tempered - more than than 60% of tested steels have less than 0.5rc differences between with and without cryo.

To have a clearer idea of my ht research is trying to achieve, please see charts on page 4: https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictures/Info/Steel/Vanadis4E-DS.pdf
See how Retained Austenite percent remain high (almost unchanged) until tempering temperature is above 750F, in starting range where RA start to convert to martensite. Thus corresponding to increase of hardness. This is conventional/common way to reduce RA%, albeit at cost of reduced Cr% in solution and coarsening of MxCy carbide. BCMW HT 5x minimizes RA% without cryo and without tempering in secondary/high tempering temperature range.

No, as far as I know. *note: I only shared version 1.0 in 2016, so all later ht versions are private.

Has this heat treat protocol been replicated by anyone other than you ?

Fact: There is very little curiosity on "What" possible and even less interest on "Why", hence no reason for "How".

That’s unfortunate considering that your results are interesting.
Maybe a metallurgist like Larrin could investigate the science behind your process

No, as far as I know. *note: I only shared version 1.0 in 2016, so all later ht versions are private.

That is unfortunate considering the fact that your results are very interesting

Fact: There is very little curiosity on "What" possible and even less interest on "Why", hence no reason for "How".

I think Larrin Larrin has already commented on it, it seems to be a bainite variant for heat treatment (very slow/controlled)

it would be interesting to see how he's modified the super slow cooling process since the '1.0' days

I think many of us are very interested in the "what" and "why" and "how"... but he's been rather specious, so of course interest goes down as a result
I would like to hear his true progression and observations, he may have found some interesting new results.
Better yet, I'd love if he shared some of this directly with Larrin for review ; )

I agree

I think Larrin Larrin has already commented on it, it seems to be a bainite variant for heat treatment (very slow/controlled)

it would be interesting to see how he's modified the super slow cooling process since the '1.0' days

I think many of us are very interested in the "what" and "why" and "how"... but he's been rather specious, so of course interest goes down as a result
I would like to hear his true progression and observations, he may have found some interesting new results.
Better yet, I'd love if he shared some of this directly with Larrin for review ; )

Sorry, I didn't see this post until today.

I did asked Larrin whether he would test/examine my ht samples without disclosing my ht specific/protocol - he declined. I understand, analysis is expensive and even more challenge w/o knowing ht params. At the time, I was thinking, he could compare SEM pics between my sample against his or other known ht sample per specific steel. e.g. 1095 65rc, 63rc, 60rc. Oh and possibly possibly do no-notch under size charpy as well.

Anyway, as for bainite speculation = it is an unrealistic/unreasonable suggestion because duplex microstructure (bainite & martensite, specifically more than 10% bainite) can't attain 64+rc for says 1095/52100/w2/26c3 etc. I can certainly provide samples in 64-67rc hardness.

I've learned a few things in many attempts of cutting 10mm dia mild steel rod. Over 98% of failures were due to missed or light hammer strikes on blade spine. Conditions of 100% failure (thus must avoid) asymmetrical edge bevel, test rod piece less than 1" length, soft backing,

Below pic - cost a 5" 26c3 blade. Completely broken apart while hammering on 3rd sharpened edge against rod.
IHdK9jp.jpg

More carbon steels blades are being prep for HT 5i. At least 12 blades are allocated for cutting 10mm rod. Will test on round rod once out of hexagon.

Last edited:
I won’t waste my time analyzing steel without provided heat treatment parameters. Otherwise it’s just advertising for the person who sent them, rather than research for learning and education purposes as everything else is that I do.

HT version 1.0 is public, which is easily replicate and test by 3rd party, right? Basically, there can be value in seeing 'What', rather than dismissive.

Nevertheless, thanks your contributing to BF. I do read your articles and extract good info.

I won’t waste my time analyzing steel without provided heat treatment parameters. Otherwise it’s just advertising for the person who sent them, rather than research for learning and education purposes as everything else is that I do.

HT version 1.0 is public, which is easily replicate and test by 3rd party, right? Basically, there can be value in seeing 'What', rather than dismissive.

Nevertheless, thanks your contributing to BF. I do read your articles and extract good info.
Nobody is being dismissive. I said I could only test with provided heat treatment parameters, you said no.

Oh good then.
1. if you are still willing to test
2. someone else beside me to ht & submit samples, a proper way to conduct this. Here is quick ht params for 1095/52100/26c3/w2/etc..

Let's start with 1095 from Alpha Knife Supply
- 1650 @ 15minutes soak, cool to black
- 1500 @ "
- 1475 "
- 1450 ", interrupted quench in brine 1.5second
- then quench into 350F hot canola oil ** note: version 1.0 uses 480F but since then I uses 350F, which is less smoky and won't degrade oil to quickly
- perform rest of CWF HT Ver 1.0
- Temper to various target hardness.

Nobody is being dismissive. I said I could only test with provided heat treatment parameters, you said no.

Cut 10mm Diameter 12L14 Mild Steel Round Bar

9 test blades in W2, 1095, O1, 26C3 steels. Hardness: 62-64rc (mostly around 63rc)
All with thickness behind edge between 0.020-0.022"
Sharpened with Edge Pro using worn/old 400 & 600 grit diamond plate
Angle in dps: 15, 18, 20, 22

34 minutes video

Part 2

O7/1.2519 63rc Chopper Test - 5 minutes

O7 Edge after chopped 16D nail
nvTCri1.jpg

Last edited:
So you want bluntcut to reveal to you his HT protocol in which he invest years of hard work , time and money ? Like it ! Aren't you curious to compare his results with your HT protocol and result ?
Not everything is written in the books we read and learn from....a lot of new things come from people who think outside the box ,from people like Bluntcut .Are you afraid of the results you would get, maybe because bluntcut result don't agree with the books you learn from........?
I believe that every member of this forum would like to see the results you would get .

Otherwise it’s just advertising for the person who sent them

What is wrong with that ? Bluntcut has right to promote his business here , he pay for that ? Just as you promote your work here ?
What is wrong if you find that his protocol gives better results than the ordinary one ? He will sell more knives ? Don t you think that he deserve that ?
Sorry for off topic BluntCut MetalWorks BluntCut MetalWorks .......:thumbsup: Go on, I think many are interested in your results just won't admit it :D

Last edited:
So you want @ Bluncut to reveal to you his HT protocol in which he invest years of hard work , time and money ? Like it ! Aren't you curious to compare his results with your HT protocol and result ?
Not everything is written in the books we read and learn from....a lot of new things come from people who think outside the box ,from people like Bluntcut .Are you afraid of the results you would get, maybe because bluntcut result don't agree with the books you learn from........?
I believe that every member of this forum would like to see the results you would get .

Otherwise it’s just advertising for the person who sent them

What is wrong with that ? @ Bluntcut has right to promote his business here , he pay for that ? Just as you promote your work here ?
What is wrong if you find that his protocol gives better results than the ordinary one ? He will sell more knives ? Don t you think that he deserve that ?
Sorry for off topic BluntCut MetalWorks BluntCut MetalWorks .......:thumbsup: Go on, I think many are interested in your results just won't admit it :D
I don't test charpy samples with a "secret heat treatment." Whether the results are high, low, or middling, I haven't learned anything.

Reactions: HPD
I don't test charpy samples with a "secret heat treatment." Whether the results are high, low, or middling, I haven't learned anything.
Not true , You , all of us will learn something if result are high..............that there is other way , a better way to HT steel then one promoted by books ? Isn't that something wonderful ? It would only be a matter of time before bluntcut would give his recipe to the world .....Thousands of laboratories around the world are trying same thing ...........to improve the characteristics of steel?

N Natlek - your objective perspective and feedback are well appreciated by me. Witness/tested existence of evidence (e.g. high charpy # for 1095) is valuable in knowing 'what' is possible. And if its value is high enough, ppl could reverse-engineer(from specimen) or wait for public disclosure of ht protocol.

Otoh, Larrin Larrin can't and shouldn't spend his time on wild/fantastical metallurgical claims without merit of credible evidences (@ eye of the beholder). Larrin contributes quite a bit on here, esp compilation and re-produced many good conventional ht protocols, a big kudo! BCMW's works could be seen as out-side-of-the-box or splattered at bottom of known/mainstream cliff :D
_______X_______

1095 Chopper HT 5J chops 8mm diameter 1018 steel rod at 960fps. I might destructive test this chopper once there are charpy data on subsequent ht version.

In progress slowly R&D with Charpy testing(3rd party charpy impact test service) on HT 5K, 5L, 5M, ...

h60sSxL.jpg

Back