Help, got the itch for flipper.

Ok, so this Spyderco fanboy has a itch for a frame lock flipper. But I don't want a Spyderco. I'm looking for recommendations/help.

My tastes:
-My favorite all time knife is the PM2, followed by the Manix 2 LW and Griptillian
-I like 3.5" blades and a handle large enough for my whole hand
-Ideally 4ish oz, I know flippers can run heavier with the frame lock side being metal, 5-5.5oz is tops thou
-Prefer made in the USA (lost a great union job of 10yrs because of overseas outsourcing, so I try to support companies that use American labor)
-Favorite steel is M390/20CV, but I'm not a steel snob, easy to maintain 154cm/vg10 have their place
-Prefer non-assisted
-I try to keep my knife purchases between $150-200, obviously this is probably not gonna work well here

I know this is a tough bill to fill. Trust me I have been looking. The made in the USA preference makes it really difficult in my said price preference. The closest I've found is the ZT0562/ZT0562CF. I have handled this knife and like it a lot. The only issues I know of with this knife is that the pivot is free spinning and I have heard it has a tendency to work it's self loose. I have had knives that had this issue in the past and it drove me INSANE!

One knife I handled recently was the WE 711 Blitz. I really enjoyed it. Until I put it in my pocket. That G10 is so textured you could hear it eating my pocket like a buzzsaw. I was gonna bite the bullet on it being China made because it's a $100 knife.

Heck, I even thought about just getting a Steel Will Cutjack D2 to scratch the itch cheap.

What are your thought? Recommendations? Ideas?

Last edited:
For a well done flipper that is around 150-200 and USA made only one comes to mind and thats is ZT. You can get a bigger selection if you include overseas companies like WE knives and great quality I hear but its China.

Have you looked at the newer ZT selection from this year.

Thanks for the response. I love the looks of the zt0450cf but it's a tad to small for my hand.

I haven't handled the zt0804cf but it's a beautiful knife. And on sale. But the lack of sharpening choil with the radius plunge grind would drive me crazy. I had an American Lawman with this issue and it's something I know I will dislike as a sharpener.

ZT has so many great knives but the ones I'm attracted to always have one flaw that may be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
The 0452 is bigger. Fantastic knife. Can't remember what it retails for, though.

EDIT: looks like $220. If you pick one up on the exchange you can get it under $200.

ZT has some great offers, but have you looked at kizer?

They make tons of great flipper framlocks at 100-220$

I would highly suggest the Steel Will Cutjack in M390. American company, knife is made in Italy though. $152 for a stellar knife. The only American made flippers that come to mind in that category are ZT's, and I cannot stand ZT/Kershaw for reasons I'd rather not have a heated debate about on here. My favorite flippers are from WE knives (China) though, consistent quality across all of their products with amazing designs, and some of the best action I've felt on ANY knife, even $500 ones.

While not as ergonomic has OP considered the Ontario Carter Prime? Supposedly it has a great action. Pretty much any ZT is an awesome choice and you can't go wrong there. The 0452 and 0562 being two of nmy favs.

I don't understand how you are not considering the Domino which has a very Manix like outline and is extremely light.

I am also dedicated to PM2 for EDC and have also gone through my Flipper stage. I went through most of Spyderco flippers and eventually ZT. I own a couple of the ZT models and like them and if I had not been smitten by the PM2 I would still be carrying them more today. I enjoyed the ZT0350 a lot. It is also still in rotation although it does not see much pocket time (Thx to PM2). My next favorite is the 0566. Although it is assisted opening the action works flawlessly and the size of the grip has good balance. I have the 0560 and while it it the big brother to the 0566 it is not assisted opening. The action on it was very smooth and it felt good in my hands while working with it but it was a little larger in the pocket. I own a 0770CF and I liked it but the flipper tab was a little smaller than I prefer and the blade length is only 3" which is the minimum I usually go for EDC. I carried it quite a bit but preferred the 0350 and 0566 more. I have had the 0562 series in my list for a while the grips are little different than the 0566 but the knives were similar enough that I did not pull the trigger on them yet.

The nice feature of the ZT blades is the thickness. To see they seem so sturdy and tough. The 0350 was my introduction to ZT and led me to believe in the ZT brand and quality of blades from the company but I did not stray too long from my Spyderco's. Now when I want t a flipper I carry the Domino or the Sliverax. Sliverax is really nicely done and gives me the added flipper to the features of the PM2 that I love. Currently in rotation. I have carried it for a week and it is growing on me. Will it replace PM2? Probably not but it is a nice option that I enjoy using.

I also recommend the 0801. It's a bit heavy, but carries really well in pocket. One of my favorites, in spite of a self-imposed 5 oz rule.

I haven't pulled the trigger in a 0452 or 0562 yet. They're both awesome and it's hard to pass on them whenever I'm at a dealer's shop.

Bit of a budget buster (unless secondary market is considered), but the Emerson Sheepdog would make you very happy.

img-emerson-sheepdog-07.jpg

Northarm Skaha?
Unfortunately, it won't be available until next year.....

I have 2 choices that are outside the box. They are not made here but the company is American. Both knives are from Steel Will . The first one is the Gekko 1509, M390. second is the Cutjack M390.
There are less expensive versions in different steels and both come in 2 sizes. The M390 versions are made in Italy and the the Gekko all the models are made in Italy. The fit and finish is amazing and the action is silky smooth "like buttah. If you want something a little different these are them. I hope you like them, they are some of my favorites.
I also recommend the 0801. It's a bit heavy, but carries really well in pocket. One of my favorites, in spite of a self-imposed 5 oz rule.

I haven't pulled the trigger in a 0452 or 0562 yet. They're both awesome and it's hard to pass on them whenever I'm at a dealer's shop.
I have both and the action on the 0562 CF is great but I had to send the 0452CF because the detent is so hard it left and impression in my finger. For some reason unbeknownst to me they made all their knives with harder detents. Make sure you flip them at the store. Contrary to other comments I have read it did not loosen up with use. I forgot to mention that I had exchanged it once at it was the same. Good luck.

For the within $200 price range, ZT is your top choice. No need to look further. And I suggest you pay attention to the Exchange here, where you can have almost any production model of ZT for no more than $200.

My personal EDC for the last 3 or so weeks has been the Giantmouse GM3. I know it is a bit over the $150-$200 limit but for me it is worth it. I just really like this knife... I have seen them on the forums for sale quite a bit under it's retail of $325 as well (which, BTW, is where I got mine ;)).
Specs:
Materials:
Blade Steel: Bohler M390 MICROCLEAN stainless steel. Satin finish.
Handle: Titanium GR2. Stonewashed finish.
Liner: Tempered Stainless Steel.
Backspacer, clip and pivot ring: Titanium GR5 anodized bronze.
Pivot Mechanism: Ball bearings.
Locking Mechanism: Liner lock.

Dimensions:
Blade Length: 3.375" (85mm)
Blade Thickness: 0.138" (3.5mm)
Handle Length: 4.5" (114.3mm)
Scales Thickness: 0.118" (3mm)
Liner Thickness: .059" (1.5mm)
Overall Length: 7.75" (196.85mm)
Weight: 3.2 oz (90.7g)

Here's mine for reference...
jZp4awJ.jpg

I'm going to jump in to recommend the ZT0562/CF as well. You have already held it and like it. The specs are right in line with your requirements. The pivot on mine hasn't caused any problems (sample of 1), and if it did I have a tube of purple loctite that would solve the issue. Plus, there is just something about that knife. I own many of the usual and unusual suspects (PM2, ZT0452CF, Sebenza, Customized Griptilians, Zieba S1, Begg Bodega, etc), and I find it hard to resist putting that 0562CF in my pocket before walking out the door.

Back