Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

Gold Member
It’s actually more of a loan since I’d like the knife back. I really enjoy looking at pristine knives but I think users are the ticket. I’ve been thinking of doing this for awhile but I wasn’t sure what knife to use. Then I found another black handled Frontier like my Grandpa carried on a site for about $20 delivered and thought this would be the perfect knife to use.

So here’s the deal, Grandad turns 101 on August 2nd. On that day I’m going to start carrying this knife, and hopefully using the heck out of it, for a month. It may not be the only one I carry but it will be for the majority of the time. What I would like to do is then send it to one of you to carry, and use the heck out of, for a month. Then you would send it to someone else on the forum to do the same and continue this one month cycle until next year on his birthday, alive or not, it would come back to me. Hopefully by that time it would be a good looking user and maybe have a few cool stories along the way.

As this would be an honor system I really can’t control what any of you do but out of courtesy I’d like to set a few guidelines.
1-It’s a knife not a screwdriver, pry bar, wood batoning device. Please use it just don’t abuse it.
2-Carry it how my Grandad would carry it, in a pocket full of other stuff. No slips required.
3-Touch up the edge as needed but please stay away from the bench grinder.
4-Freckles can be attractive(I once knew a girl), if it develops significant rust deal with it otherwise let the character develop.
5-POST AT LEAST A WEEKLY PHOTO IN THIS THREAD, OR ELSEWHERE, OF THE KNIFE

I hope I get some takers willing to help me out on this endeavor. If you’ve ever been curious about a large stockman pattern and wanted to try one out this would be a chance. Let me know if you want to help.

I’m not sure how to select the first person after I carry it so I may have to just wing it.
Here’s the knife to be used.

C582373_D-_E07_E-46_CB-_B922-66_CE403_FC9_AF.jpg

21_DFF47_A-86_CE-46_C0-9177-70017013_DC33.jpg

Cool!
Another "Travels of _____" thread! :D
(You'll need to name her, to fill in the blank.)
I think Pearl (a Barlow) was the last traveling knife we had.

That is a beautiful Stockman, by the way.

Even though the stockman is one of my favorite patterns, I am not going to enter to host _______. My dumb "smart" phone refuses to do pictures. :(
I will, however follow the upcoming "Travels of _____" thread. :)

Edit:
I believe in the Travels of Pearl thread, (I think that was the name of it) everyone who entered to host Pearl had their post number used as their permanant entry number.
A random number generator was used to choose the first host.
When it was time for Pearl to move on, that host used a random number generator to pick where Pearl went next, using the original entry numbers.

Last edited:
Nice 81 stockman, Johnny. And looks like your hands get a hell of a patina too!

I really like this concept, from what I've seen on the porch an "honor system" here is a cinch:thumbsup: not sure if I'll put my hat in the ring just yet as a host, but I like the idea.
johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes , just gotta ask y'all pronounce "hollow" like "holler" where your from? I was born'd n raised in the Appalachians of southwest Virginia. When I was a kid I only knew people from 2 different places, "up on the mountain" like us, or from "down in the holler" like my Moms family.;)

Cool!
Another "Travels of _____" thread! :D
(You'll need to name her, to fill in the blank.)

I would have no idea on a name. Grandad always wore a hat and had a sign over his door that said “Mean-n-nasty”, both reside with him in the nursing home now. Perhaps that would catch on??

I don't wish necessarily to be the first to host her; but if she travels abroad, I'd like to try a Frontier for size, I never had the chance to catch one pleasing me on the great bay.

I think a trip abroad would be an excellent idea, after all the knife does have a brother, courtesy of @Will Power, and the brother traveled to Finland:)

I used to have a yellow frontier stockman like that, it was a pretty good knife and I liked it.

If you need people to carry it, then count me in. I would be happy to be a part of this.

Reactions: 315
I have to give it a think about whether or not to be in, but I really like the idea. So this is to make sure that I stay in the loop.

I really like this concept, from what I've seen on the porch an "honor system" here is a cinch:thumbsup: not sure if I'll put my hat in the ring just yet as a host, but I like the idea.
johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes , just gotta ask y'all pronounce "hollow" like "holler" where your from? I was born'd n raised in the Appalachians of southwest Virginia. When I was a kid I only knew people from 2 different places, "up on the mountain" like us, or from "down in the holler" like my Moms family.;)

We’ve always pronounced it hollow like it’s spelled, but it’s always had the conotation of “holler”. The hollow is just a ravine with a creek bed in it that is the prime spot for squirrel hunting here on the farm.

315 315 What's your grandad's middle name? Maybe it could be the knifes name?

Somehow “the adventures of Joseph” doesn’t really ring to me. I’d tell you the name my girls called him growing up, and still do today, but the moderators would make me delete it:poop:.....and that little thing is a hinto_O

Im in, i had to pass on my turn with pearl due to moving to a new house and i wouldnt have had time to post.

Count me in, I'd gladly give your Frontier some Wisconsin patina, maybe slicing some extra sharp cheddar cheese:D

Back