Help me decide: survival knife

I was just coming to suggest you look at production Fiddlebacks, but Dangerously Dangerously beat me to it! The Kephart is a touch bit shorter than your specs, but it can also serve as a fixed EDC and is a very, very useful blade with absolutely incredible ergonomics. Andy Roy is a goddamn wizard when it comes to knife handles. I own a Hiking Buddy and I would swear that handle is an inch longer than it actually is.
I’ve had that production Kephart in a cart about ten times. There’s just always something else a bit higher on the list.

Check out the White River Knives Ursus 45. The blade is 4.5” S35VN @ 58-60 HRC. The handle scales are your choice of different colored Micarta. The sheath is leather but having one made in Kydex shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t own an Ursus but I do have two different White River knives with S35VN and they are fantastic.

You know... while it seems to be very highly regarded, I’m wishy-washy on the laminated steel. The Pro versions seem to have actually caught my eye, but I’m respectfully hesitant on Fallkniven.
There is nothing wrong with laminated steel and Fallkniven is more than proven to be tough and usable.Mine went through hell and back and I have nothing but great things to say about it.Well made,durable, stainless,simple design easy to carry,maintain and sharpen.It is a official carry for many army personnel around the world.Cheers.

Hi all! Long time BF member and lurker. :) Always my first place to go for knife advice.

I’m looking to get a new smaller fixed outdoor survival knife, and have narrowed it down to 3 options. But first, my primary qualifications:
1) S35VN (have been itching to try it out)
2) kydex sheath
3) Micarta handle (have never owned so also excited)
4) blade 4”-5”

A lot of popular survival knives don’t hit all the qualifications above, so I’ve narrowed it down to what I think is three knives, in order of what I think I’m leaning towards.

1) Spartan Harsey TT
https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/fixed-blade-knives/spartan-harsey-tt/
(4.5 inch, not crazy about spear point)

2) Attleboro “The Attleboro”
http://www.attleboroknives.com/The-Attleboro-Knife--Straight-Stone-Wash_p_17.html
(4.5 inch, point still a bit too aggressive)

3) Chris Reeve “Green Beret 5.5”
https://chrisreeve.com/collections/fixed-blades-1/products/green-beret
(5.5” inch blade makes it longer than I’d like, but it’s Chris Reeve!)

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Open to other makers but the first two seem like great small companies. Thanks so much.
How about Gough Knives from Canada? He seems to be a high speed low drag type of knife maker. His knives are reasonably priced for a custom maker (about $350.00 USD) He does use steel that is out of your parameters A2 I believe. Seems like the right size though. Good luck.

Tops knives has a new nessmuck type (Camp Creek) with everthing you describe, there is some nice Youtube videos demonstrating its uses-check it out

one member brought up a good point. are you really wanting to tests a new steel on am outdoor survival. if yes go for it.
keep in mind the thickness of the blade will make it harder or easier to do certain tasks. the same goes for the length. of the ones you mentioned I'd go for the green beret. it had length and thickness. I use an esee 6 and have a thinner 4 inch blade for utility camp tasks.

You might check out Chris Reeve's Nyala. Checks most of your boxes. Not sure about the sheath selection but there's lots of good kydex benders that can produce exactly what you want.

The Fiddleback Production Duke and Production Kephart suggested previously are both dang good blades :thumbsup: You'd have to aftermarket the sheath on those as well since they come with leather.

Duke on L, Kephart on R

lP1Ygrm.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all! Long time BF member and lurker. :) Always my first place to go for knife advice.

I’m looking to get a new smaller fixed outdoor survival knife, and have narrowed it down to 3 options. But first, my primary qualifications:
1) S35VN (have been itching to try it out)
2) kydex sheath
3) Micarta handle (have never owned so also excited)
4) blade 4”-5”

A lot of popular survival knives don’t hit all the qualifications above, so I’ve narrowed it down to what I think is three knives, in order of what I think I’m leaning towards.

1) Spartan Harsey TT
https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/fixed-blade-knives/spartan-harsey-tt/
(4.5 inch, not crazy about spear point)

2) Attleboro “The Attleboro”
http://www.attleboroknives.com/The-Attleboro-Knife--Straight-Stone-Wash_p_17.html
(4.5 inch, point still a bit too aggressive)

3) Chris Reeve “Green Beret 5.5”
https://chrisreeve.com/collections/fixed-blades-1/products/green-beret
(5.5” inch blade makes it longer than I’d like, but it’s Chris Reeve!)

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Open to other makers but the first two seem like great small companies. Thanks so much.
A bit off topic, but the ultimate survival knife is not a fixed blade, but a Swiss army knife.

A bit off topic, but the ultimate survival knife is not a fixed blade, but a Swiss army knife.

A solid argument can be made that you are correct.

Which is why I asked the questions I asked the OP earlier. "Survival knife" is meaningless...it could mean a CVic Farmer, it could mean a Mora, it could mean on overbuilt chopper/smasher, it could mean a hollow handled, sawbak knife, it could mean a Leatherman, etc, etc etc.

We need context.

My 2 favorites are the Bravo1 and Steep Country Hunter. Bravo1 has leather sheath but you can get S35VN steel. Steep Country has the kydex sheath but S30V steel.

Yeah that Bravo 1 looks good – seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for (minus the sheath, which as you said is easily overcome). Really wasn't expecting to get so many awesome options. It makes me wish I could check out 10 different knives in-person before purchasing (let alone actually use)... damn you internet, and your ability to give us access to the entire world and all of its options!

A solid argument can be made that you are correct.

Which is why I asked the questions I asked the OP earlier. "Survival knife" is meaningless...it could mean a CVic Farmer, it could mean a Mora, it could mean on overbuilt chopper/smasher, it could mean a hollow handled, sawbak knife, it could mean a Leatherman, etc, etc etc.

We need context.

I agree in principle. Video pick of the week on Netflix is Meru.

That said, I think the term "survival knife" has a commonly understood ballpark meaning roughly in line with somewhat vaguely derivative of the Camillus Air Force Survival Knife from the Vietnam War.
Camillus_Air_Force_Survival_Knife_%285075276461%29.jpg

I would be interested to learn if the term "survival knife" was common in the lexicon before this knife. I sort of doubt it. Which is to say, that I sort of think Horace Kephart didn't refer to his preferred design as a "survival knife" even if we sort of think of it that way today.

I would be interested to learn if the term "survival knife" was common in the lexicon before this knife. I sort of doubt it. Which is to say, that I sort of think Horace Kephart didn't refer to his preferred design as a "survival knife" even if we sort of think of it that way today.

Why would he? Surviving until he was rescued was not what his knives were for. They were for long term outdoor living.

I mean, why is the Pilot Survival Knife not called a Pilot Mushroom Knife?

Because that is not what it is for.

And that is why I have been asking the OP for clarity. Which I haven't gotten. But that is the case for just about every thread asking about "survival" knives.

People get seduced by the "survival knife" concept and want one. Typically they really just want an "outdoor recreation" knife, or something military/stabby/tacti-choppy. Nothing wrong with either...its just we cant really help until we know.

Former Chouinard and Black Diamond designer and ski mountaineer Andrew McLean (author of The Chuting Gallery and graduate of RISD) once reflected on knife design as a reflection of cultural heritage.

He described the Opinel as sexy, dangerous and good with cheese and the Buck 110 as big, brash and capable of field dressing a deer (or at least pretending to be).

That "or at least pretending to be" comment resonates here and I think is the core fascination with the term "survival knife", no?

I rather doubt we would use the term "survival knife" if not for the Camillus/AF knife name and if not for the military connotations. One might not be bad ass enough to be in the military but you can at least be bad ass enough to carry a survival knife and to be able to survive with it (or at least pretend to be).

Why would he? Surviving until he was rescued was not what his knives were for. They were for long term outdoor living.

I mean, why is the Pilot Survival Knife not called a Pilot Mushroom Knife?

Because that is not what it is for.

And that is why I have been asking the OP for clarity. Which I haven't gotten. But that is the case for just about every thread asking about "survival" knives.

People get seduced by the "survival knife" concept and want one. Typically they really just want an "outdoor recreation" knife, or something military/stabby/tacti-choppy. Nothing wrong with either...its just we cant really help until we know.
The reality is, for anyone who has either been forced or chosen to try getting by in shitty environments with minimal gear, a SAK saw, such as found on the Farmer and others, would be an absolute Godsend. Gold. Batonning huge logs and chopping down small trees is just fantasy. Small kindling and lots of it. Then chuck bigger stuff on, all of it dead and forraged. That’s if there are trees at all. If there are not, then with no spade or material to make one, unless you can dig a shelter with your knife then it is basically dead weight. You are out of luck with knifey things to do. Time to find another plan and use your noggin. Shelter and warmth won’t find you, annoyingly. ;)

Former Chouinard and Black Diamond designer and ski mountaineer Andrew McLean (author of The Chuting Gallery and graduate of RISD) once reflected on knife design as a reflection of cultural heritage.

He's right but hardly insightful. Knives are designed for what people do with them. It's why Opinel isn't famous for making machetes.

Back