Help me decide: survival knife

That is a good point for sub-zero. I prefer the thermorun on the A1 even to the F1 handle, as it has a bit of ‘give’ in it. Wish they used it for all their handles!

I’m with you. And I think if you check the specs page for the A1, you’ll find it’s actually a kraton handle instead of the thermorun on the F1 and S1.

Fallknivens are my go-to winter camp knives.

That is a good point for sub-zero. I prefer the thermorun on the A1 even to the F1 handle, as it has a bit of ‘give’ in it. Wish they used it for all their handles!

It's true that Thermorun has a wider variety of hardness achievable and is an extremely low thermic conductor, with a great grip.

Yea, not sure if ol Horace would of liked 3V or not. I like it and I don't like it.
The ONLY reason I don't like it is it won't show its age like a 1095 would. I know you can have SS acid etched, and I'm considering it, but I'm so old school it stinks and I just love a good carbon steel blade.
Did somebody say PATINA?
I like your Kephart. Have avoided the custom/handmade route. My only difficulty with this particular knife is that there is little to no guard (behind the sharpened edge) to index your hand if it's dark and you grab and need to use your knife. I am pretty comfortable with the Kabar Becker Kephart in this regard even though it's carbon steel (1095). Sharpening should be quick and honestly, I don't think I ever sharpened a knife in the woods. I usually have a spare knife of some kind with me.

I like your Kephart. Have avoided the custom/handmade route. My only difficulty with this particular knife is that there is little to no guard (behind the sharpened edge) to index your hand if it's dark and you grab and need to use your knife. I am pretty comfortable with the Kabar Becker Kephart in this regard even though it's carbon steel (1095). Sharpening should be quick and honestly, I don't think I ever sharpened a knife in the woods. I usually have a spare knife of some kind with me.
I see your point there 22. How about my other Kephart in 3V with a FFG and canvas micarta grips?
The slabs were left rough. They were sanded down to 120 gr.

I'll chime in with my two cents because...why not?

Check out the Busse for sale section for something in the 7" range for a one and done...with a SAK and good folder.

Or...a Condor parang type chopper with a Bradford 4.5...and a SAK...

And then sign out of BF quick and save yourself a lot of time and $$ looking for the perfect knife...

;)

Survival knife?
Only one?

RMJ Kestrel or similar with a pry end on the handle for digging/prying.

A small axe/tomahawk, over time, will get you further than a knife

This one would be my choice.
yEC9tWV.jpg

kVtmFiP.jpg
What are the two knives shown?

Back