Help me decide: survival knife

The reality is, for anyone who has either been forced or chosen to try getting by in shitty environments with minimal gear, ...

That is something that has always fascinated me. So many times people ask about a "good knife to practice survival."

Seems like the best way to practice survival might be with a bad knife (or no knife). :)

That is something that has always fascinated me. So many times people ask about a "good knife to practice survival."

Seems like the best way to practice survival might be with a bad knife (or no knife). :)
Absolutely. Or in an environment where a knife is basically no use at all short of cutting bunches of heather or bracken to stuff inside your outer layer. Hint, you don’t need a knife for that but it helps, and it will still make for a really unpleasant night in the open, just with less chance of hypothermia. :D

And that is why I have been asking the OP for clarity. Which I haven't gotten. But that is the case for just about every thread asking about "survival" knives.

People get seduced by the "survival knife" concept and want one. Typically they really just want an "outdoor recreation" knife, or something military/stabby/tacti-choppy. Nothing wrong with either...its just we cant really help until we know.

Sorry if I wasn’t more clear, but most everyone’s suggestions here have fit the bill, so I’m confident that I got my point across (or at least got the help I was looking to get).

Regardless, this seems to have spurred what is an ongoing discussion on BF, which has been an interesting read here. Seems like there are a lot of terms, some real, many overlapping, and more than a few are marketing nonsense.

Sorry if I wasn’t more clear, but most everyone’s suggestions here have fit the bill, so I’m confident that I got my point across (or at least got the help I was looking to get).

Regardless, this seems to have spurred what is an ongoing discussion on BF, which has been an interesting read here. Seems like there are a lot of terms, some real, many overlapping, and more than a few are marketing nonsense.

In the end, people want a sexy knife and logic/practicality be damned. :)

We all, ultimately, want something that looks cool.

True. I bought a DLC coated Spyderco Shaman for no other reason than it looks cool and I wanted to try out a Shaman. And to please my inner mall ninja, naturally. :)

Mind you, it’s a tough knife and would be more than ample to ‘survive’ with, as far as knives can actually help you do that on limited calories. You wouldn’t be tempted to try to chop down a tree with it, which would be a very good start. Just wouldn’t want to drop it in the dark. I’d post a photo, but it is so very black you can’t even see it. :p

True. I bought a DLC coated Spyderco Shaman for no other reason than it looks cool and I wanted to try out a Shaman. And to please my inner mall ninja, naturally. :)

Mind you, it’s a tough knife and would be more than ample to ‘survive’ with, as far as knives can actually help you do that on limited calories. You wouldn’t be tempted to try to chop down a tree with it, which would be a very good start. Just wouldn’t want to drop it in the dark. I’d post a photo, but it is so very black you can’t even see it. :p

Congrats and enjoy!!!!

I have read the comments and am a bit uncertain as to what you (OP) really want out of this knife. A suggestion for the White River Ursus 45 was made earlier and I agree. It would be an excellent choice for a 4.5" all around woods and field knife. White River makes some really nice blades. I have the Backpacker Pro and recommend it for a 3" general purpose knife. I would assume that the Urus is as well made and would be a good value for your needs.

Not sure I’m damning logic or practicality (though who knows)... which is why I said in the original thread that some of the knives I linked to were a bit too aggressive from a stabbing standpoint. If the Spartan Harsey TT was a drop point (or a slightly less aggressive spear point), I’d be a happy guy.

I am a minimalist in ownership, and while my steadfast Benchmade Sequel has been amazing as a true EDC over the years (I’m on my second one after losing one), I’m ready for it to have a big fixed-blade brother. I’m an outdoorsman (not a hunter), and have gotten by fine with the Sequel, but have realized in my old age that a fixed blade would be great for whatever comes my way. A 4-5” all-arounder, that doesn’t need to be “tactical”, but will be a reliable companion whenever its name is called.

“Camp knife” seemed to imply larger, “field knife” seemed to imply hunting, “utility knife” was too broad (maybe), so I used “survival knife.” I dunno. All that “SHTF” talk real muddies the waters, as I’ll have bigger worries (and more effective means of protection) than what high-priced knife I chose. :)

Anyways, thanks for the talk! Glad no one here gets too works up about goofs like me asking for advice.

I have read the comments and am a bit uncertain as to what you (OP) really want out of this knife. A suggestion for the White River Ursus 45 was made earlier and I agree. It would be an excellent choice for a 4.5" all around woods and field knife. White River makes some really nice blades. I have the Backpacker Pro and recommend it for a 3" general purpose knife. I would assume that the Urus is as well made and would be a good value for your needs.

I don’t at all disagree with you on the Ursus! So many great suggestions were made, but I forgot to respond to that one! The leather sheath would need to be switched out to kydex (I have an odd reaction to leather), but that’s not the end of the world. Thanks again!

... "Camp knife” seemed to imply larger, “field knife” seemed to imply hunting, “utility knife” was too broad (maybe), so I used “survival knife.” I dunno. All that “SHTF” talk real muddies the waters, as I’ll have bigger worries (and more effective means of protection) than what high-priced knife I chose. :)
I'm going to stick with my suggestion. I agree about knife terminology and considering your last post, "survival knife" might be apt. It would make a very good all a rounder for me. I tend to like something along the line of the BK-15 or a knife of similar size as an all a rounder woods knife. This is why I have the Dozier Pro Guides knife (D-2) and recently purchased the new Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart which has a 5" blade in 1095.

I'm going to stick with my suggestion. I agree about knife terminology and considering your last post, "survival knife" might be apt. It would make a very good all a rounder for me. I tend to like something along the line of the BK-15 or a knife of similar size as an all a rounder woods knife. This is why I have the Dozier Pro Guides knife (D-2) and recently purchased the new Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart which has a 5" blade in 1095.

I absolutely love the kabar kephart - its just perfect simplicity and heft. I wanted to buy one, but it annoyed me that the price was so much higher than their standard pricing...

lowest web pricing is $135'ish for it (was like 150 a few weeks back), while a kabar bk-2 is under $100, or the 1217 is around $80, and a 7 inch 1095...
$100 pricing is a bit of a magic number in terms of getting widespread adoption

I would rather spend 200 on kabar kephart in cpm-m4 or something, for 1095 I'd rather be near 100, call me cheap, its ok, no offence taken ;-)

I absolutely love the kabar kephart - its just perfect simplicity and heft. I wanted to buy one, but it annoyed me that the price was so much higher than their standard pricing...

lowest web pricing is $135'ish for it (was like 150 a few weeks back), while a kabar bk-2 is under $100, or the 1217 is around $80, and a 7 inch 1095...

I would rather spend 200 on kabar kephart in cpm-m4 or something, for 1095 I'd rather be near 100, call me cheap, its ok, no offence taken ;-)
1095 is what Becker seem to do, and they do it well. But the Becker Kephart seems to have wooden handles and requires a bit more work than a BK2. I wouldn’t know from experience, as this seems to be exclusive to the USA, and I just got one custom made anyway with which I’m delighted, in O1. No dog in this fight, but Ethan seems to have done a service to the [North American] knife community with this production. They do this steel as well as anyone. What’s your problem with it?

1095 is what Becker seem to do, and they do it well. But the Becker Kephart seems to have wooden handles and requires a bit more work than a BK2. I wouldn’t know from experience, as this seems to be exclusive to the USA, and I just got one custom made anyway with which I’m delighted, in O1. No dog in this fight, but Ethan seems to have done a service to the [North American] knife community with this production. They do this steel as well as anyone. What’s your problem with it?

As I stated, my only problem with it was not hitting the magic $100 mark : )
The 1217, with a 7 inch blade of 1095 is only $80, I'd rather get that

if/when the kephart hits 100 it's an automatic buy

As I stated, my only problem with it was not hitting the magic $100 mark : )
The 1217, with a 7 inch blade of 1095 is only $80, I'd rather get that

if/when the kephart hits 100 it's an automatic buy
Fair enough!

Just get them all and put them all in a back pack and your set to go. Which ever one you need will be there. No matter which one you choose they all seem like good one. My setup is usually a esee 6 and a 4 inch 5160 high saber ground from a maker. I do a good amount of hunting and camping. The 4 inch is usually at camp for food and whatever I need it for there. The esee goes with me when I leave camp and leave 4 inch. I feel like I could survive in the desert until I was rescued if something happened. Granted I have enough water with me. I would rather have a gallon of water and a 4 inch folder than a 6 inch blade and a bottle of water.

I hope the BK-62 settles down in price a bit. Don't know if Kabar is just taking advantage of the initial demand to recoup development costs or they need the pricing to make it work. There may be multiple royalties involved with that knife versus the standard Becker.

In s35v the spartan is very good, i liked the green beret but it was on the soft side for the steel so edge retention wasn't great.

Back