Hemp Wrapped Fiddlebacks - Rusticwrap Review & Photos

Andy, Are the handles brushed with epoxy resin after they're wrapped or dipped? I was on a raft trip this weekend and was thinking about water penetration into the handle materials.

I coat the handles by hand with the epoxy and work it into all of the nooks and cranies. Completely saturate everything. Once it is all dry, light sand to make it uniform, then dipped and brushed with penetrating sealant for a second layer of protection.

Wow, this is cool stuff. I dig! I totally missed this the first time around! Hemp is a great material, great idea!

I coat the handles by hand with the epoxy and work it into all of the nooks and cranies. Completely saturate everything. Once it is all dry, light sand to make it uniform, then dipped and brushed with penetrating sealant for a second layer of protection.

Thanks for the info, Allen. Sounds like it should hold up fine in wet conditions.

26620334502_4c1eeed6e2_c.jpg

Great review and photos, always digging your stylized photos, and loving the used marks on your Nessie!

I'm glad y'all are liking these. I'm happy we're doing them. We learned the technique from Rick Marchand. He has been using it for years, so it is a prooven technique. They are a lot lighter, and a cheaper way to own handmade Fiddlebacks. With this economy the way it is (#*%^B$(#^%) I thought a lower price point handmade was called for.

I'm glad you are doing them too. I want a wrapped Bushfinger :)

It's a sound design. Andy got the idea from Rick Marchand, and I did the testing on the leather scales system for Rick back in 2008 on a prototype he made sans the wrap. I seriously need one of these in my life now, preferably a Bushfinger I think :)

I will be looking to pick one up eventually, as well. Couple of them peaked my interest but nothing I've been sold on yet.

That photo is excellent Bushhacker. We need a passaround of one of these. Maybe a Hiking Buddy.

Back