Hey man, got a knife? Just say no.

Holy crap.

Yesterday.

Guy at work. "Hey man, got a knife?"
Me "sure"

I hand him my Contego (sharpened with a thin bevel) and he proceeds to crank down a loose screw with the tip. I watched in horror.

Then, later.

My mother in law "son, can I borrow your pocket knife?"

Oh sh... here we go again. But surely she wouldn't do anything stupid.

So I follow her into the bathroom where she proceeds to use the tip to try prying the stuck drain out of the sink (under 6" of water).

I'll be honest, I really like being that guy that always has a knife when you need one, but I'm either going to have to say no, or ask what needs CUTTING and do it myself.

Sheesh.

Yesterday me and my cousin got bored sitting around all day.
So we went outside.
"I wonder if we can walk on the pool yet"
"I dont know. How thick is the ice?"
"Get something to break it with"
Then he stares at me.
"I aint chopping through ice with my knife if thats what youre waiting for!"

Why did you let him use your knife as a screwdriver?

When I realized what he was going to do I would have said "Hell no! You asked for a knife, not a screwdriver!"

I carry an izula on my belt at all times for instances like that. 1095 chips sharpen out easily, and if not I got that warranty.

I never lend a good knife to anyone who hasn't got the intelligence to normally carry one themselves and knows how to use it properly.
Most people are simply too stupid to handle knives, let alone high quality ones like mine.

I carry two knives at work. One nice one for me and one for others to use.

I usually carry a Sodbuster too. Didn't have it on me at the time though. :(

Actually, for that matter, I usually have a SOG Powerlock MT too.

As for telling him to stop, I didn't realize what he was doing right away. And my mil? Well she's my mil. :D

I carry a Victorinox farmer for people to use as a screwdriver/ pry bar

Its held up great

I always carry an SAK, primarily because they are so darn useful, but also for this exact situation. And even then I still ask what they need it for.

I hope you put some good knives on your Christmas wish list and give the list to them so they learn what a good knife is worth. That was a sad story you told.

My suggestion, unlike the carry two knives posters here, is to just carry a rescue knife with blunt end and flat edge, that will drive them crazy. Digging out stuff with the tip of any knife is a receipe for trouble, IMHO.

I always ask what they need me to cut, after a friend tried to loosen a screw with my Case Bose Dogleg Jack. Luckily I stopped him in time.

Just say no or ask why. I usually will let family use my knife depending on the family members but I am always hesitant about anyone else including friends. It really frustrates me at work when people do not have a knife especially guys.

When people ask me if I have a knife, I reply "You mean you don't?" and keep going. Or I respond "Yes" and keep going. That's why I carry a pocket knife, because I might need a knife. Not because someone else (anybody else) might need a knife.

The Gerber shard key ring tool will handle anything they could need to do. No need to carry an extra knife for them

99% of the time I have a multi tool on my belt in addition to the knife in my pocket. I've gotten pretty used to which people I can actually hand my knife to,anyone else gets the multi tool. For those "special cases" who can't even figure out how to open the multi tool,I ask them to hand it back and tell me what they need done.Those that are adept enough not only to get it open,but select the right tool for the job,I usually make a mental note that I have just found their birthday or Christmas present. I've probably gifted 20-30 multi tools over the years,many of which ride on friends and co-workers belts to this day. For many of these,it's the only knife they carry. For others it opens up a whole new world to them.:)

Back