Hey man, got a knife? Just say no.

I had this happen once, a buddy (former Marine) asked if I had a knife he could borrow, while we were at my daughters birthday party. I just reached in my pocket and handed him my Spyderco Native. Five minutes later, he hands it back to me and says, " Sorry man, here you go." I just thought he meant sorry for asking to borrow my knife, but he really meant "sorry for turning your knife into a decent screwdriver. I just laughed about it. But, it did teach me to ask what someone needs my knife for. With some of the answers I have received, I seriously wondered if these people had a decent pocketknife in their pocket and just did not want to use it for the God awful purpose that they wanted mine for.

My EDC is a Benchmade 741 Onslaught. Not exactly screwdriver or prybar material. This is why I also EDC a camillus electricians knife and a leatherman tool. If someone asks me if I have a knife I say "Yes." After a few seconds they realize that I'm not going to let them use it so they go elsewhere or make disparaging remarks about my ancestory. Either way my blades are safe...

My buddy learned his lesson about lending people knives when a classmate asked if he could borrow my buddy's knife since his wire stippers were "not working". The dummy tried to cut some thick copper wire with the razor sharp knife. It turns out mr. smart thought wire strippers were used to cut wire. My buddy really learned his lesson on letting borrow knives. I never let any of the goofballs at school use any knife of mine!

Most companies have a clause in their warranty that would void it when doing such things. Yes, there are exceptions (Bussekin that I know of), but realistically, stabbing ice constitutes abuse.

Understandable. I just cannot escape the mindset of a knife being a tool first and foremost. I try to learn the limitations of any knife I own. If I used a well-carried knife to do something, like chipping ice, that damaged the knife in some way, I would probably just buy another to replace it. Common sense tells me what constitutes abuse, same as any of you folks. I just don't see chipping ice as abuse, if done correctly. To each their own, as I can see from your perspective as well. I've just never had to send a knife in.

Wait, why would anyone tighten a screw with the edge???? I've tightened many screws with the spine of my knife.

Terrible pic, but you get the idea. :(

IMAG1933_zps9fd2c6e2.jpg

I don't give my knife when
1- I don't know and trust the guy who is asking
2- when I don't know what it is for
3- when I doubt that the guy who is asking know anything about using a knife (safety for him and for the knife)

I just don't see chipping ice as abuse, if done correctly.

If he doesn't even have a knife of his own, the chances are he doesn't know how to use yours correctly. Of course you probably do. You've used it for a lot of things. Someone who doesn't carry, doesn't have that experience.

This whole thread reads like a multi tool advertisement. If these situations come up alot for you it might be worth it to carry a MT. Having read a post by Pinnah about the usefulness of a MT I was fortunate enough to have a Micra given to me. Its a pretty handy tool especially the flat Phillips screwdriver on it at least for me that is!

I tend to not let people borrow my knives and if they do I ask them what they are doing

This whole thread reads like a multi tool advertisement.

I don't carry a multitool every day the way I used to. I carry my Skeletool in my bag, if I'm carrying a bag. But I do like to have a SAK especially my Victorinox Farmer with me.

If somebody asks to borrow a knife, either I cut it for them myself or hand them a box cutter. I have seen too many knives and hands injured by those who ask for a knife.

The first time that I lent out a knife was when I was 12-13. I was in Army Cadets camped along the shore of Lake Ontario. Another kid borrowed my folder and he promptly opened his thumb up. Years later I lent out my Normark Super Swede. When I opened it up the next day, the tip was snapped off. I don't lend out knives.

A small kiridashi goes a long way here. About half the time I hand it to people they look at it dumbfounded and hand it back.

I don't carry a multitool every day the way I used to. I carry my Skeletool in my bag, if I'm carrying a bag. But I do like to have a SAK especially my Victorinox Farmer with me.
That's the way to go! SAK, MT, something with a screwdriver on it! I admit I actually don't carry the micra on my person, but it's clipped to my knapsack which I almost always have near me.

Whichever you choose the portable tools aren't the best, but they work in a pinch which is all that they should be when trying to balance weight for your EDC. Kiridashi would work as well!

Never loan out your knife or your pickup truck. Even with supervision, non-aficionados will jack either up. Words to live by.

Prof.

Never loan out your knife or your pickup truck. Even with supervision, non-aficionados will jack either up. Words to live by.

Prof.

Probably very good advice. I did lend my svt lightning (truck) to my fil, but it came back fine.

Here's the thing about borrowing *anything*. My pop always taught me, growing up, that when you borrow something, return it in exactly the same, or BETTER condition. I've always remembered that. Borrow a car? Fill up the tank. Borrow a knife?... Well, at least don't chip it!

If the MT comments are for others, it's good advice. If for me, I already addressed it.

Btw, got my Powerlock on my hip as I write this. ;)

Back