Home Built Surface Grinder

Has anyone built an SGA and used a standard, lever operated, permanent magnet chuck typically used on traditional surface grinders? Inexpensive ones are available on Ebay and Amazon like THESE and I assume from alibaba as well. They are wider than the 2" to 3" chucks knife makers have been fabricating. The narrowest I've seen are 4" x 7" or 5" x 10" (which could be good for makers of folders). They would eliminate the milling and gluing process and are easily cleanable. Maybe require a wider base and x/y table.
J

0AdEJ2n.jpg

I would say between the size, weight (the smallest one weighs 15lbs) and price. It would not be a good option for a sga.

My table seems to have developed a little bit of play.

Are there any gibbs in here?

I'm afraid those holes are only there for this bracket... to lock the table position.

Is there any way to tighten up this slide that yall know of?

EDIT: Looks like this same question was recently asked on post #619.... sorry about that guys.

Last edited:
Lately, I've noticed some movement in the linear table. The stage has developed some side-to-side movement.

After looking at some pictures online, I noticed that mine is missing this piece altogether;

20191219-141636.jpg

Is that the only way to tighten the two together? I suppose I could make something similar...

@Billmanweh , where you ever able to get this guy tightened?

No Gibbs to be found! ....

Guess I could wedge some shim stock in here... maybe drill some holes for set screws too.

there you go. it would be better to have contact under the whole area of the door lock, I may do something like that in the future. This was just a quick convenient solution for me.

edit: I just noticed two of the screws are missing:) must have been disloged recently. anyway, a replacement of this system will be done at some point...
dm69iK0.jpg

3UZ5DkX.jpg

Pafka:

Did you end up liking the door lock or did you opt for the traditional method?

Thanks!

Hey Jonathan,

for the things I do, I like it better than the permanent magnet DIY solution (I used that before too). It is easier to clean and operate. However, for blades, the size is restrictive - I wish it was twice the size. If the workpiece is not supported, it will flex. Easier to solve with the permanent magnet thing - you can just make it bigger. I might need to buy another one and daisy chain them together.

Pafka:
Did you end up liking the door lock or did you opt for the traditional method?
Thanks!

Slight spoiler alert... but I have a video likely coming out on Friday (1-29-21) upgrading the chuck on my SGA to a more user friendly option. So far so good. Will update soon!

We're looking forward to your solution on the magnetic chuck - I've played around with the idea of using something like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FWERRC/? but have not worked out a good method for using them yet.

Good luck..... well, since the video is already made I suspect you've already had the "good luck" in designing and building a better chuck. I'll be looking forward to the video.

Can you link to it or do you want to wait for the video?

We're looking forward to your solution on the magnetic chuck - I've played around with the idea of using something like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FWERRC/? but have not worked out a good method for using them yet.

Good luck..... well, since the video is already made I suspect you've already had the "good luck" in designing and building a better chuck. I'll be looking forward to the video.

S Sheltonjonathan I actually don't have a link. You'll have to call to get one.... I think it will make more sense with the whole story. If I can edit faster I may be able to get it out earlier in the week.

K Ken H> Yes sir, the chuck I'm using works similarly to your link. Has a "switch" that moves the poles and turns it "on and off". Nothing proprietary or fancy on my end... just applying a machinist magnetic chuck into the design. It's been working pretty good so far. A little heavier than the original design for sure.

How are you not rolling edges?

I have, what I think, is a 90 duro wheel. I roll edges. Aside from the rolled edges, its accurate and precise. I need to find an aluminum contact wheel.....

Back