Homemade Wicked Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
very nice moxy, great setup. Always love checking out your threads...keep up the great work!

Moxy,

Can you elaborate on the clamp material again.
Looks like the thickness of the plate material is close to 1/4"instead of1/2", but I could be looking at it wrong.
I think I will use the Rod Ends with the studs,will eliminate a step.
Anyway, great looking project.

Sam

That's great looking and inspiring. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find everything on ebay. I might be doing something wrong, but I just can't find the Aluminum Pivot Arm.

This is effeminately something I'll have to try to make, although I might have to find similar pieces locally.

Thank you for showing it.

Moxy,

Can you elaborate on the clamp material again.
Looks like the thickness of the plate material is close to 1/4"instead of1/2", but I could be looking at it wrong.
I think I will use the Rod Ends with the studs,will eliminate a step.
Anyway, great looking project.

Sam

You're right Sam. It's 1/4in not 1/2in, that was a typo. Rod ends with the studs was my idea too, but I couldn't find them in the size in needed. So I made my own.

That's great looking and inspiring. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find everything on ebay. I might be doing something wrong, but I just can't find the Aluminum Pivot Arm.

This is effeminately something I'll have to try to make, although I might have to find similar pieces locally.

Thank you for showing it.

This should be it here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8020-T-Slot-Aluminum-Pivot-Arm-10-S-4149-N-/220337573807

When I search for the exact name "8020 T Slot Aluminum Pivot Arm 10 S 4149 N" on ebay.com, not ebay.au as your link is, I don't get any results.

Then when I go to the sellers profile and change the address from .au to .com I can find it by searching there.

edited: Now I understand why, the seller doesn't seem to ship to my country at all. No point for it to show up in my search when I absolutely can't have it.

Moxy, you have prevented my wallet from going on a super diet. This is awesome!

Can you please answer scotchleaf's question? I'm interested too.

Can you show me a photo of these?

Here is a picture of what he was referring to. Some rod end bearings AKA Heim joints are available with a threaded shaft press fit into the hole in the bearing. Image is from McMaster-Carr's website.
6072kc2l.png

Moxy,

Your project is awesome!!!

I would like to do something similar.

After some use, as the clamp is 1.5" wide, the Main Rail it is OK to be a 10 series or you prefer the 10x30 series, 15 series or 20 series?

Hockey stick tape will probably give you a more secure grip after putting it on the knife than any other type of tape I know. It
Instead of bolting it down to a cutting board you could also bolt it down to a piece of wood that fit into a vise

a vise like bob6794 said. a Panavise with a suction foot would be very cool with the table you have there.

Moxy,

Your project is awesome!!!

I would like to do something similar.

After some use, as the clamp is 1.5" wide, the Main Rail it is OK to be a 10 series or you prefer the 10x30 series, 15 series or 20 series?

I like 10 series. No real need to go bigger, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for sharing your setup. It inspired me to start working on a very similar rig. I have attached rubber gasket material to the inside of the clamps to keep from scuffing the knife blade and hold it securely. What are the round metal pieces protruding from the side of the clamps at the level of the bottom screw in your pictures?

What are the round metal pieces protruding from the side of the clamps at the level of the bottom screw in your pictures?

Old thread, I know but I'm in the process of recreating this design. I believe they are magnets to help catch bits of metal shavings. I've also seen people put rubber boots on their joints so they don't get contaminated with metal shavings.

Does anyone know the length of the two clamp pieces? It's hard to tell from the angle in the pics. I thought it was 7" & 4" but now I'm thinking it's 6" & 3". Also are the two upper holes on the smaller piece threaded or are they holes?

Old thread, I know but I'm in the process of recreating this design. I believe they are magnets to help catch bits of metal shavings. I've also seen people put rubber boots on their joints so they don't get contaminated with metal shavings.

Does anyone know the length of the two clamp pieces? It's hard to tell from the angle in the pics. I thought it was 7" & 4" but now I'm thinking it's 6" & 3". Also are the two upper holes on the smaller piece threaded or are they holes?

Hey Mike.
The clamp lengths are 6in and 3.5in. The two upper holes in the smaller piece are just holes, not threaded. The 3rd one at the bottom is threaded.

It might not be a bad idea to make the clamp longer (7in or so). You can get narrower angles with a taller clamp, just make sure the stones will clear the screw heads and the clamp bevels are ground appropriately. As of now I can get down to 10 degree per side (roughly), depends on the knife. Any thinner than that and stone will hit the clamps and the screw heads.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the build.

Hey Mike.
The clamp lengths are 6in and 3.5in. The two upper holes in the smaller piece are just holes, not threaded. The 3rd one at the bottom is threaded.

It might not be a bad idea to make the clamp longer (7in or so). You can get narrower angles with a taller clamp, just make sure the stones will clear the screw heads and the clamp bevels are ground appropriately. As of now I can get down to 10 degree per side (roughly), depends on the knife. Any thinner than that and stone will hit the clamps and the screw heads.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the build.
Thanks for the quick response. I have mine at 7" & 4" so I think I'll just leave it at that. Anything else you'd change, modify or do differently? Do you know the length of the wicked edge stones/handles?

^^ike

Thanks for the quick response. I have mine at 7" & 4" so I think I'll just leave it at that. Anything else you'd change, modify or do differently? Do you know the length of the wicked edge stones/handles?

^^ike

Yea the length of the stones are 5-5/8th inch long. If I were to build another one I would make the clamp a bit longer, and do a proper job of priming and painting the steel clamp. Mine started to rust bad after a while. I've since primed and painted it and now it looks great. Also try and hunt down rod ends with the stud built in, I couldn't find them at the time. I was impatient and used a interference fit to get the stud attached. It works, but it could have been better. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I can't really compare it to the real thing since I've never used an actual Wicked Edge, but it works perfectly well as far as I can tell.

Yea the length of the stones are 5-5/8th inch long. If I were to build another one I would make the clamp a bit longer, and do a proper job of priming and painting the steel clamp. Mine started to rust bad after a while. I've since primed and painted it and now it looks great. Also try and hunt down rod ends with the stud built in, I couldn't find them at the time. I was impatient and used a interference fit to get the stud attached. It works, but it could have been better. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I can't really compare it to the real thing since I've never used an actual Wicked Edge, but it works perfectly well as far as I can tell.
Cool, I'm on the right track then. I found the rod ends with the studs. I just need to finish up the clamp then get some WE diamond stones. I was first put off by the price of those diamond stones. I figured I could find some others or come up with my own system. Once I really looked into it $70 for a pair with two grits each isn't so bad. It looks like you started with the 100-1000 grit stones. I thought of doing the same then adding the finer ceramics down the line. Have you added any more stones or strops? Thanks again,

^^ike

Cool, I'm on the right track then. I found the rod ends with the studs. I just need to finish up the clamp then get some WE diamond stones. I was first put off by the price of those diamond stones. I figured I could find some others or come up with my own system. Once I really looked into it $70 for a pair with two grits each isn't so bad. It looks like you started with the 100-1000 grit stones. I thought of doing the same then adding the finer ceramics down the line. Have you added any more stones or strops? Thanks again,

^^ike

Yea the stones are very expensive. I did end up buying the ceramic stones and strops as well. The ceramic stones really get that mirror polish and I would recommend them. But I didn't have much luck with the strops. Didn't really notice much of a difference. In anycase I just use my sharpener to reprofile blades or take out chips. For routine sharpening I just just my sharpmaker to touch up the micro bevel. So most of the time I don't bother going past 1000 grit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back