How do the edges of the Manix 2 LW's handle feel in-hand?

Dadpool

Gold Member
I've been eyeing the Manix 2 Lightweight for some time now, and the only thing holding me back is the handle scales: they look boxy, not chamfered or particularly rounded, and that gives me pause.

I love the feel of the G10 Manix 2 and Military handles because they're both nicely chamfered. I don't love the PM2 handle because -- for me -- it isn't chamfered enough; I found the PM2's handle uncomfortable, particularly when bearing down during cutting. The closest thing to a Manix 2 LW I've ever held is my Delica 4, which has superbly rounded handles and is comfy in-hand.

I can't try before I buy, so I'm curious how comfortable folks find the edges of the handle scales on the Manix 2 LW. What are your thoughts?

UPDATE: I got one, and it's fantastic. Here's the close-the-loop post (with photos). Thanks to everyone who provided feedback! :thumbsup::)

Last edited:
Personally i dont like the "toyish feel" of the lightweight maix but i love my g10 models i i have about 5 of those in cruwear s90v/cpm154,M4, S90V ,XHP, I like the solid feel and how much tougher the g10 models feel. Im sure the lightweight manix is a beast and would never let me down i just dont like plastic handles i guess. And the wire clips are something that i never loved aesthetically. All my negatives are from aesthetic and feel more so than function. But as i said you couldn't go wrong with either.

Ps.. i love the jimping and chamferingand all the small details of the g10 models but mine are mostly sprints or exclusives im not sure if there are any differences

Is the chamfering on the G10 version that you find makes it more comfortable, or something else about it?

The chamfering on the g10 scales certainly contributes. The g10 material feels better than the FRN material as well.

I had a Manix LW. The ergonomics of the knife were pretty good in hand. Combined with the light weight, the knife could be one of your favorites.

That said, the material that the scales are made from to me feels very cheap. Very much like a brittle plastic. I'm not saying the scales are brittle or cheap, but they feel that way.

They distract from an otherwise great knife.

That said, the material that the scales are made from to me feels very cheap. Very much like a brittle plastic. I'm not saying the scales are brittle or cheap, but they feel that way.

They distract from an otherwise great knife.

This one comes up a lot in reviews/comments, and I'm okay rolling those particular dice. To get the M2's blade, lock, and handle in a 3 oz. knife is pretty incredible, and if cheap-feeling scales is the compromise that sounds reasonable.

The tactile feel of the scales may not bother you. It's certainly worth a try as the knife is overall very good. If they offered one in FRN, I'd give the Manix2 LW another go.

I'm a die-hard G-10 Manix II fan. The lightweight variations are ergonomic & as well made (IMHO) as the standard G-10 models, but I can't use the LW Manix II's as comfortably as the G-10 variants. I'm almost embarrassed to say what I've put my G-10 Manix II's through, and they've never so much as budged - no blade play, loose parts, etc. I'm fairly certain the lightweight version won't hold up to the same abuse.

For a lighter-weight EDC, with the same basic ergo as the the G-10 variants, the LW versions are a hit.

I'm my opinion, Eric (Glesser) hit the Manix II design out if the park.

~Chris

I use the LW everyday for work. It's the most abused blade that I own. I find it very comfortable in hand (XL+). The lightweight is a fair trade for any perceived lack of rigidity. The FRN gives good traction also. I feel very confident when using mine.

If weight is important to you it’s probably worth a try. It has fantastic blade/weight ratio. If weight is not so important, you may want to stick with the G10 option. You may find the LW just as bad or worse than the PM2 struck you.

I don’t dislike mine enough to sell it, by that FRCP is by far my least favorite handle material, regardless of shape. The texture snags pockets too when drawing it. BUT it is a lot of blade that vanishes in your pocket at that weight.

The overall design is very good, and I like the lock. But the FRCP feels really cheap and fragile and there is this issue with the handle edges - during light use I do not feel any discomfort, but they bite into the hand while heavy cutting, it is really uncomfortable. Nonetheless it is one of my primary EDC knives.

I've handled a few Manix 2 LWs and one of them had a little flushing (think that's the right term) that gave some sharp edges, but the others were cleaned. One was chamfered right, the other wasn't but only was uncomfortable if you held it just wrong very tightly.

Ergonomically the Manix series are my absolute favorites and the LW version is, in my opinion, the best Manix to ever be made. It does look boxy, but it doesn't feel boxy.

Back