How do you feel about Emerson knives?

Emerson's are what they are. This isn't his first rodeo...Emerson has been around a long time now. The Commander pretty much solidified him in the 'tacticool' circles many years ago. My impression is outside of his uber high end knives like the CQC6, he generally makes knives intended for 'users' and isn't overly concerned about the keyboard commando/self appointed authority/nitpicker types. The G10 is too grippy...the G10 isn't grippy enough. There was a imperfection in the fitting...154CM is too soft...I had to tighten the pivot screw....yada yada yada. Talk about your first world problems.

Do they have flaws...yep. Can people fiddle with them and make mountains out of mole hills? Yep. Are there other good, solid knives for less? Yes. Better ones? Some would most certainly say yes. ZT's 620/630 are d@mn fine folders.

Don't like 'em, spend your $$ elsewhere...if you want a Sebenza, go drop $400 on one...pretty sure Ernie won't loose much sleep about it.

Personally, I like Emersons for what they are...I carried a particular one for about 10 years...I could easily pull it out of semi-retirement and stick in my pocket right now and it would do just fine. I own a few others that have since replaced it, and they're in the rotation with other brands depending on the day/activity. The Commander is the 'iconic' EKI in my mind, with the CQC8 right there and the CQC7 + A100 as well. I actually like the Journeyman quite a lot...lives up to its intended design purpose quite well.

$.02 worth,
Boss
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Had to think on this one before answering. I have about 10 Emersons, including 2 customs, and by and large, I like them.

"So why the high price? Are they made with meticulous fit and finish? Silky smooth opening?"
Silly questions, sound like an attempt to stir the pot instead of get actual answers.
High price? Probably because it's what the market will bear.
Meticulous fit and finish? As others have said, not what they are known for. CRK has won numerous quality awards, all justified, IMO; Emerson hasn't. Tells you the answer right there.
Silky smooth opening? No, see previous answer. That wouldn't justify a high price regardless, so why throw that in?

I carry Emerson knives because of Ernie Emerson. Many knives from China these days meet those criteria for the same money or less - but they come from China, and that factors into my decision at least as much as cost or "value." Some are even more expensive, along with others from Taiwan or Japan (I'm thinking Spyderco and Cold Steel), and if you like them, and feel you are getting good value for the money, buy them. I've met Sal Glesser, good guy, I like his knives, and his son is doing a great job; I have no problems carrying and using Spydies, but I'm not tossing my Emersons to carry them exclusively.

I have met with and talked to Ernie Emerson, and I think he's worth supporting. Not because of his connection to the SpecOps community, or his sense of humor, or his martial arts prowess: it's because I think he's an honorable guy, a good knife designer, and a good maker. His customs are an entirely different animal than his production knives. I suspect it's because he does the work on the customs and the production knives are just that: production. The QC does not rival CRK, or Reate, or countless others - but the knives I have bought have been solid performers and no significant issues. Ernie designs good knives based on his personal experiences and tends to think in martial arts terms. I find the ergos generally excellent: they fit my hands well, YMMV.

I don't like every design, I don't buy every one out there, and I hold onto my money when a lot of the special issues come out direct from the factory because they seem pricey for what you're getting, and I know a lot of Emerson guys feel the same way. The secondary market is fine, and you can get a good knife for that money. Nobody has to buy Emerson knives, or any other: personal preference rules. If you think they're worth it, great; if not, fine. Buy what you like based on your personal criteria, and everybody else will do the same. It's your money: spend it however you choose.

Feel free to start some controversy by substituting Microtech or Benchmade or any other brand - and expect the same type of responses.

Had to think on this one before answering. I have about 10 Emersons, including 2 customs, and by and large, I like them.

"So why the high price? Are they made with meticulous fit and finish? Silky smooth opening?"
Silly questions, sound like an attempt to stir the pot instead of get actual answers.
High price? Probably because it's what the market will bear.
Meticulous fit and finish? As others have said, not what they are known for. CRK has won numerous quality awards, all justified, IMO; Emerson hasn't. Tells you the answer right there.
Silky smooth opening? No, see previous answer. That wouldn't justify a high price regardless, so why throw that in?

I carry Emerson knives because of Ernie Emerson. Many knives from China these days meet those criteria for the same money or less - but they come from China, and that factors into my decision at least as much as cost or "value." Some are even more expensive, along with others from Taiwan or Japan (I'm thinking Spyderco and Cold Steel), and if you like them, and feel you are getting good value for the money, buy them. I've met Sal Glesser, good guy, I like his knives, and his son is doing a great job; I have no problems carrying and using Spydies, but I'm not tossing my Emersons to carry them exclusively.

I have met with and talked to Ernie Emerson, and I think he's worth supporting. Not because of his connection to the SpecOps community, or his sense of humor, or his martial arts prowess: it's because I think he's an honorable guy, a good knife designer, and a good maker. His customs are an entirely different animal than his production knives. I suspect it's because he does the work on the customs and the production knives are just that: production. The QC does not rival CRK, or Reate, or countless others - but the knives I have bought have been solid performers and no significant issues. Ernie designs good knives based on his personal experiences and tends to think in martial arts terms. I find the ergos generally excellent: they fit my hands well, YMMV.

I don't like every design, I don't buy every one out there, and I hold onto my money when a lot of the special issues come out direct from the factory because they seem pricey for what you're getting, and I know a lot of Emerson guys feel the same way. The secondary market is fine, and you can get a good knife for that money. Nobody has to buy Emerson knives, or any other: personal preference rules. If you think they're worth it, great; if not, fine. Buy what you like based on your personal criteria, and everybody else will do the same. It's your money: spend it however you choose.

Feel free to start some controversy by substituting Microtech or Benchmade or any other brand - and expect the same type of responses.
Silly questions? Haha. Maybe to a silly person (that’d be you). Next time try not to get so offended by someone in search of information. So dry those tears and play nice , little fella :D

I love their designs but their prices - especially here over the pond - are out of reality.

Given that the QC is lacking (as we can all see from these posts and several other threads) I would be very worried about buying an Emerson from a US retailer for three reasons: first one is Customs, if the package gets stopped you are going to cry... a lot; second one is that if you don't get a decent sample, returns are totally out of the question and third one is shipping charges...

There is one particular retailer here in Europe (France) that ships all over europe for free (over a certain amount of purchase, but any Emerson is well about this limit) and has a nice selection of Emerson knives. If you had any problem with the knife, it would be much easier to ship it to France than to ship it overseas. Besides, being Europe, you don't have to worry about paying any extra taxes/fees to Customs.

Prices are quite reasonable also (basically retail price in $ but changing the US dollars for Euros).

Mikel

Different strokes for different folks , me personally love Emerson’s for a No thrills knife but does what it’s made for and does it well. Also found after you get to know Emerson’s you can dial them in during break in.They have this beautiful one of a kind action you won’t find on any other knife period. It’s a thick smooth butter like action that’s has a mechanical almost feel on lock up with that beautiful click and wonderful feel.I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Emerson has a true soul and when you hold one, use it and slide one in your pocket you don’t feel the need for another knife. I totally get why some folks don’t like them as there not for everyone but definitely for me.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks , me personally love Emerson’s for a No thrills knife but does what it’s made for and does it well. Also found after you get to know Emerson’s you can dial them in during break in.They have this beautiful one of a kind action you won’t find on any other knife period. It’s a thick smooth butter like action that’s has a mechanical almost feel on lock up with that beautiful click and wonderful feel.I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Emerson has a true soul and when you hold one, use it and slide one in your pocket you don’t feel the need for another knife. I totally get why some folks don’t like them as there not for everyone but definitely for me.

Ok, the BS is starting to get deep in here. "They have this beautiful one of a kind action you won’t find on any other knife period"

That is patently incorrect.

- Signed, a guy who owned all these:

xWcVmuD.jpg

And in fact, owned more after this pic was taken.

Incidentally, I'll come out and say it. After finding out how Emerson's rigged lotteries are run behind the scenes and seeing the condescending arrogance from Emerson himself here, I lost massive respect for the guy. Then I watched at how the scumbags over on USN treat people who ask any question that isn't asked in a syophantic TheFactor-watercarrying-like bowing down sort of way, I was out. I sold most of the Emersons pictured above, and some of the rest I had.

Also, at the end of the day, the knives simply aren't that great. I mean, they're ok, but not great. I have owned virtually every model at one time or another, and I was a member of every Emerson group imaginable, and bought into the hype for awhile. But the actual objective fact is that for the money, better knives* can be had for less money every single day of the week that ends in Y.

For those who aren't sycophantic water-carriers, if you want to try out the best of what like, 1995 had to offer right now today, go ahead and buy a new Emerson. However, if you want fit, finish, quality materials, and a maker who DOESN'T RIG his own online lotteries, then seek elsewhere.

BOOM, WHAT NOW.

* In every objective, measurable sense

Last edited:
Oh , he had a point? I just figured he was bothered by someone looking for info.

Anyway , I disagree.

Ok.

All I'm saying is, if you're truly interested in an Emerson knife, it would be better for you to try one out for a first hand experience rather than perpetuate that same old bullet ricocheting around the echo-chamber. Might be you agree with the popular opinion. But maybe not.

Ok.

All I'm saying is, if you're truly interested in an Emerson knife, it would be better for you to try one out for a first hand experience rather than perpetuate that same old bullet ricocheting around the echo-chamber. Might be you agree with the popular opinion. But maybe not.
Although I find some of the designs interesting , the fear of bad QC haunts me. So instead of dropping $230 on one and finding out the hard way , I wanted to ask some people in the know what they thought. But I can’t rule out trying one for myself at some point.

Last edited:
Although I find some of the designs interesting , the fear of bad QC haunts me. So instead of dropping $230 on one and finding out the hard way , I wanted to ask some people in the know what they thought. But I can’t rule out trying one for myself at some point.

Regardless of what is said in this thread, you won't know the answer until you do.

Don't go for retail. Pick one up for like $100-200 off the Exchange. If you don't like it, resell it and you'll probably be out just the shipping costs. Not a bad price to pay for a brand you've been considering for years.

Heck, you might get a gem and have a new found love. :D

Regardless of what is said in this thread, you won't know the answer until you do.

Don't go for retail. Pick one up for like $100-200 off the Exchange. If you don't like it, resell it and you'll probably be out just the shipping costs. Not a bad price to pay for a brand you've been considering for years.

Heck, you might get a gem and have a new found love. :D[/

You read my mind :thumbsup:

Back