How Do You Store Your Fiddlebacks

As my collection of Fiddlebacks and other fixed blade knives grows, I find myself struggling with how best to store them. Currently, I use two wooden silverware organizers stacked on top of each other. I keep them inside a plastic container. I am not enamored with this solution... it is marginal at best.

So, Fiddleback collecting gurus and men / women of vast experience, how do you store your precious blades? Please post up your pics and share your ingenious solutions!

BhQO21D.jpg
[/IMG]

I gotta be honest I keep mine in their sheaths in a sock drawer. I do keep them lightly oiled with mineral oil. I've done this for years and have never had a problem with rust or corrosion whatsoever and I live in western Oregon where there is no shortage of moisture. I'm sure this method isn't the most popular but it works for me.

I have a tip for you guys. I take the moisture absorbing packets that come in medicine bottles, electronics packaging etc and line them around the back shelves of my glass knife case. I've collected knives for at least 20 years now and, knock on wood, never had any problems with rust. If it'll work in our Oklahoma humidity, I'm guessing it'll help anywhere!

It's a problem. I bought a small hutch to store them and my other knives in, but now I have to build two more shelves as the three in it are not enough sq. in. I'm embarrassed to show it in its current state.

I recycle priority boxes and use them to make storage boxes/wrap using cheap walmart pkg. tape to hold the whole thing together(basically making a cardboard sheath).
I wrap the knife with the priority box and I fold one of the ends in to keep the point from sticking out.when I ship out a fixed blade this is also the way I try to package it,and keep the sheath obviously separate then I use a small sock so that they both fit that way you have the knife and sheath together and can store them in boxes etc.....

I've got no real system. I tried this picture thing, and it sits were it was, but now I've overgrown the real estate. I was looking at a craftsman chest that had four of five drawers and was about 90 bucks. All I could think was, Wow, these handles will make it easy for the burglars to load it into their truck. Don't have an answer and don't really want to put them in a safe either. Still thinking....

bullseye-XL.jpg

This is an old pic, but my storage is pretty much the same today. Just a few more knives, sheaths and bottles on the shelves today.

IMG_6614_zps2a687b35.jpg~original

A shoe box works well, under the bed. No burglar or wife would look in it (gotta be a man's shoe box)! I also keep my current users in my sock drawer! LOL

-Will

The ones at the shop and at home are in very large toolboxes that are anchored to the concrete and video monitored. Don't forget to add things to your insurance policy.

I have a selection of small plastic storage boxes that I keep all my knives in. Living in a very humid climate, any knives that I am not going to be using I coat in mineral oil then cling-wrap before storage. Being on the road for 10 months a year I tend to accumulate quite a few knives in my suitcase and keep 1 or 2 boxes the knives arrived in as storage also. Any i am not currently using I cling wrap the blade before putting the cardboard sharp safe on.

This is a picture of my traveling setup - small 1000 grit waterstone, sandpaper, strop, mineral oil, alcohol (not what you're thinking), metal polish, cling wrap, old toothbrush.

As a new collector of Fiddlback's I have been wondering the same. They are starting to pile up in my safe and I need some sort of a "system". Also what oil does everyone use? I hear mineral spirits a lot on these boards is that the best thing? Rub oil and store in a dry place .... All insight is greatly appreciated :)

Just mineral oil for me. I keep a nice coating on there and I use Wusthof felt edge guards. It is foodsafe and effective.

If they were going to be in storage for an undetermined amount of time, I might try vaseline.

Heard good things about renaissance wax.

I bought these necklace boxes from the bay. Think they cost $20 each delivered.

There is an ellastic band at the bottom that can be used to hold the knives.

IMG_2092_zpsw9og0zb0.jpg

I'd like to build some sort of wall display at some point, big enough to allow for some future expansion, accessories, etc. Something artsy to showcase them.

I bought these necklace boxes from the bay. Think they cost $20 each delivered.

There is an ellastic band at the bottom that can be used to hold the knives.

IMG_2092_zpsw9og0zb0.jpg

Thanks for posting Scotcha! Bought one on Amazon for about 20 bucks. Great solution while my collection is growing

There are a couple of threads here in the FF forum on this subject if you search. I like to keep mine readily accessible, so they aren't in the safe. I wanted something that allowed me to display them somewhat so I decided to build up a simple rack to sit in our antique secretary on a shelf behind the glass door. I used some scrap plywood and scrap oak that I cut slots in on the table saw. I then covered the plywood with some felt and screwed the oak to the plywood, the whole thing only took a few minutes to make.

My original plan was that this would be a test run and I would do a new one with more time and detail put into it but this has worked out and looks good enough that I haven't bothered. Man is this an old pic, I didn't have enough FF knives to fill it up at the time and I ran out of room to get them all in there quite a while ago. I believe I put the slots at 1.5" OC and if that was tightened up I could get several more knives in the same space.

I keep my EDC rotation in a what looks like a mini old time travel trunk
with my current carry outside it

Back