• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How long would you wait before disputing through PayPal?

another tip-they always have lawyers that are going to come after you
I am sure lawyers are just fighting to represent someone who can't pay their bills :)

:D:D:D

The lawyer chapter from the scam playbook. Following it to a T.

I love the guys that have "financial issues" but have lawyers on retainer (chasing late fees for utility bills). Does he actually have a firm enough footing in reality to know how stupid that sounds??

Last edited:
Now threatening me through PM that he's going to have his lawyers after me to pay the late fees on the bills he can't pay through his PayPal account that he has to pay tonight.

I'd avoid dealing with this guy.

Wait, wait, he can't pay his bills because you have him locked down, but he can afford lawyers? Seems likely. About as likely as great aunt Lucy dying. Oddly all these troubles seem to happen to these guys right AFTER they get paid.

I had a client pull that crap on me once, too, so I just shut his website down and deleted the database. The lawyer threat is so great because no, I don't think any of them actually think it through. I think they're honestly just stuck in "how much trash can I throw around this room of a conversation right now" mode.

Let's see, I live in NY. I'm an essential worker with underlying health conditions. We have had several cases of Covid-19, and at one point 25% of the workforce was quarantined. I've probably sold and shipped a dozen items in the last 8 weeks. Not shipping to you all this time has no good excuse. Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense
Interesting times we find ourselves in, so I'm seeking advice. I bought a couple of knives from a guy on March 1. He said he was selling due to financial issues. Didn't ship all week, but kept offering me other knives he had posted for sale. Couple weeks later, said he couldn't ship yet because of COVID, but that he would stay in touch. I have since moved and updated my address to him, to which he replied he would ship soon. And have done a ton of other transactions despite COVID... I sent him a message again this week to which he has not yet responded, but he shows having been online. I'm kinda at the point where, because of lack of communication on the seller's behalf, I feel compelled to try for a refund through PayPal. The post office isn't closed, and this just seems like bad business to me. But then again, I might be off base, so I wanted to check in with the rest of the forum.

If they are worried about shipping due to the virus, they shouldn't be selling now.

^ This!

Update - he responds both through PayPal and on here, ANGRILY, that he hasn't been on BF because he's dealing with funeral arrangements

Well, we know 1 thing for certain; if he's dealing with funeral arrangements here in California, the deceased coroner's report will read:
CAUSE OF DEATH: COVID 19 :rolleyes: :D

Oh, here we go: "...trying to figure out how to cover funeral costs" while cruising for-sale threads.

^ I wanted to commend you on how patient you've been. :thumbsup:
Had this been me, I would've in all probability, filed a PP case withing 2 weeks, dealing with his BS stall tactics.

FULL OF SH*T. Eff the knife, eff him eff his anger, GET YOUR MONEY.

^ +1 "GET YOUR MONEY!!!"
Screw the knives at this point; get your $$$!

He continues:

49899429018_981a16a340_h.jpg

So I have officially escalated to a claim.

^ :thumbsup:
And THANK YOU, for exposing this member: Robert Jordan, from Grass Valley, California. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

another tip-they always have lawyers that are going to come after you
I am sure lawyers are just fighting to represent someone who can't pay their bills :)

^ :D
I was also wondering, if anyone here pays their home utility bills, via PayPal? :rolleyes:

Best of luck getting this FUBAR of a transaction worked out, OP. And thanks again for outing this guy, so other member's, won't have to deal with his (Robert Jordan from Grass Valley, CA), BS.

Glad you called out this dude. We all need to be aware of these types of folks. I am sure pp will get you your money back.

Not unreasonable in the LEAST! The tip off for me was the "Didn't ship all week, but kept offering me other knives he had posted for sale", then playing the COVID angle and last but not least being on the forums but not replying to you.family

And let me guess, you were the one that had to initially reach out to find out that your knife was not shipped. Seller was never proactive about keeping you informed.

You guessed correctly.

I do not tolerate this unless the seller or his/her immediate family has died or has had a major accident. And then you have about a day to take the minute or so to send me a message and let me know what's going on. If you keep me apprised of the situation, I'm totally easy to work with.

If they do not proactively reach out to me and inform me that there's a problem with shipping the item in a timely manner as well as providing me a revised and specific time of when and how item will now be shipped, I will file a claim with PayPal. I F^*KING hate having to be the one to reach out to seller to ask for the whereabouts of an item that I already paid for. The onus is on the SELLER to keep the buyer informed, NOT the other way around.

In the past, I have filed a claim with PayPal on the 2nd time the seller doesn't keep promise to ship when he said he was going to. It's two strikes and you're done, not three. Of course he follows the "scammer playbook" and tells me he'll ship immediately after I cease claim (and why TF would I do that). But of course by that time I no longer respond to him in any way shape or form. Keep the damn knife. I know a place called Blade Forums. There's all kinds of knives to buy all day, every day. I deal with PayPal and PayPal ONLY. That's why I pay the fee.

I have had a couple of occasions when I wasn't able to ship when I originally thought I was going to, everybody does. Sh^t happens. I let the buyer know ASAP and provided a new shipping date. Nobody will ever have to chase me for information about an item they bought from me.

Family emergency or not, spending money that isn't yours is not ok and not to mention illegal. If he wants to go the lawyer route maybe you should remind him of that.

If he cannot find the time to ship he should have never posted anything for sale. He has time to spend your money after all.

@RobertJ1 has some explaining to do.

Update - didn't respond to me but was online on BF. I submit the dispute through PayPal and within 20 minutes, he responds both through PayPal and on here, ANGRILY, that he hasn't been on BF because he's dealing with funeral arrangements, and will take off work Monday to ship the knives because he has to drive to another town to do it and how all the other people he has sold and not shipped to are okay and I'm the only one and yadda yadda...

Honestly, if that were true, I'd sympathize. But I just don't feel like it's the truth.

The "when it rains, it pours" chapter of scammer playbook. Somehow every known hardship known to man befalls these guys. They cannot get a f*^king break!!!

Do not under any circumstances back down for this guy. Get your money back from PayPal and forget him. This dude has followed the same pattern as most scammers as if there is a class to be taken on the subject!

^^THIS^^

Only accept the refund. At this point do not accept the knives under any circumstances.

traumkommode traumkommode
What knives did you buy from @RobertJ1, do you have a link to the for sale thread ?

Since this has went on so long I would like to check and see if he's sold or attempted to sell the same knives a second time.

Here's mine, the whittler's: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/medical-costs-lot-sale.1715530/#post-19589662

In the mean time he offered me a Case Swayback https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...k-cv-chestnut-bone-nib.1717301/#post-19608036 and a PM2 https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/medical-costs-sale-sold.1715749/ over several weeks without shipping.

Back in the whittler's thread, I was going to buy the Barlow, too, but then he said someone paid to let him keep it. Here he is selling it on March 23 m, well into his claims to me that he can't ship yet. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-schatt-morgan-042169-due-to-hardship.1719395/#post-19632182

Did @safetyman get his knife?

Hate to say this, but at least this isn't a $725.00 deal, like @gatorforge had with @SilentArrow! Not to minimize your loss (potential loss), but $725.00's brutal!

I'd be horribly disappointed, if I did a deal on that PM2, from Knifeworks (think it's their exclusive), and he stiffed me! That'd suck!

Back