How to test knives?

Hey BF,

I have made some threads about some test I have done in the past. They may of not been the smartest tests. So, I was looking at how do you tests knives? I assume there are different tests for different types of knives also. Got any advice on how to test knives?

-Gideons

Stick it in your pocket. Use it for all your daily tasks. If it's comfortable and performs to your standards then test passed. If not, move on to the next one. That's how I do it.

For the lock, steady pressure applied by hand to the spine of the blade.
Then I just go use it. :)

What are we supposed to be testing for? Failure? Sharpness? Dullness? Aesthetics? Ergonomics? :confused:

If you're confused why people think your spine whack tests are stupid, then try explaining to your car dealer that your new vehicle is very bad at driving in reverse down the highway. Yes...that's what you sound like.

I would just use the knife, if it performs then it's fine. Comparing multiple knives usually involves a task that a knife normally does (fuzz stick carving, cardboard cutting, etc.) and doing the same thing with all the knives and comparing how each one does in each test. It's mainly personal preference but it can often be helpful for others to see a good comparison

Hey BF,

I have made some threads about some test I have done in the past. They may of not been the smartest tests. So, I was looking at how do you tests knives? I assume there are different tests for different types of knives also. Got any advice on how to test knives?

-Gideons

I don't test my knife I use them when i need them . Advice on how to test knive ? Well you can try this ...........hit them into one another, the one who survives is right one :thumbup:

usually whittle on a piece of seasoned oak about 100 cuts,then about 50 cuts of cardboard after that if it still catches fingernail i'm happy with its performance

Hey BF,

-Gideons
This would be a good start. ;)
[video=youtube;ccSOUqXYCsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSOUqXYCsY[/video]

Thread subject is too vague. Test for what? For hundreds of pages on knife testing maybe go over and check out the knife reviews and testing subforum. The resources here are vast if you choose to use them.

try explaining to your car dealer that your new vehicle is very bad at driving in reverse down the highway. Yes...that's what you sound like.

Probably just got the wrong song playing on the radio.

[video=youtube;rJCnFgL6N24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCnFgL6N24[/video]

I've seen various tests here and there. The hockey mask guy did extensive testing to destruction. Some people didn't like his tests but I liked to see how much he could do with the tips of the knives. I've studied the cardboard cutting tests and I've done a few myself as well. I think those tests are more relevant to how I use a knife. But the biggest problem I see with tests is that there isn't an established method for testing or standards for evaluating test results. I occasionally think about ways to test sharpenss but I haven't come up with anything useful yet.

Thread subject is too vague. Test for what? For hundreds of pages on knife testing maybe go over and check out the knife reviews and testing subforum. The resources here are vast if you choose to use them.

Didn't know that existed. Will check that out. Thanks. That subforum only seems to have 2 pages of threads... ?

Get 2 knives. Use them side by each for a task, switching back and forth. Pick which one you preferred. Repeat.

Eventually you will find what sort of knives work best for you for different tasks. Likely as not, you will discover that different knives do different things better, just as it is with cars, trucks, guns and pretty much everything else in the world that involves a human doing the stuff that gets done. That is, technique and taste is in play big time here. There will be no universal best that people will agree on.

Avoid reductionist tests that eliminate the human and try to falsely quantify something for the sake of quantification. These have almost no bearing on actual use, just as, say, weight (which is entirely quantifiable) has almost nothing to do with how well a car handles. Heck... we can't even agree what "handles" means.

Here's my test strategy:

I open the box carefully so as not to damage it in case I have to return it.

I open and close the knife a few times to see if the mechanism works, lock engages, no screws loose, that sort of thing.

Next: Find a piece of paper. See how well it cuts the paper.

Based on those initial tests, I will know if there is something defective with the knife and it needs to be returned. I will also know if it needs sharpening or other maintenance prior to using it.

Next steps, which may be delayed if I don't have time to mess with it right then, are optional and based on the rigorous testing and inspection. They include any or all of: wiping off, waxing, polishing, oiling, tightening, loosening, sharpening, stropping. Once the knife is finally suited for my purposes, it goes into a pocket (or kitchen knife block) and will be used for cutting tasks when they arise.

Stick it up your rear. If it doesn't hurt, you've been in prison too long.

Seriously, I've never been all that concerned about how strong the lock is. 90% of my knives are between $100 and $300. They are all well made. The only lock to ever fail me was a pos CRKT M16.

I'm always hearing about Vault-like and rock solid lock-up, especially framelocks. The only knife that you won't have to worry (ever) about closing on you is a fixed blade. Right tool for the right job.

I've owned many, many folding knives. The only "test" I need is in using it how it is meant to be used. My Spyderco PM2 is not going to see the same tasks as, say, my CS Recon 1.

Back